Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If he continues to make the same mistakes he's done for the past 5 years (ignore glaring weaknesses in the squad, overly rely on youth, and make rubbish defensive signings like Silvestre, Squillaci etc.) then things could get ugly if the team get off to a bad start next season. There could be an awful lot of fans calling for him to go.

I don't think another trophyless season automatically means he's out, or should even be pushed out. If he was to take the team in the right direction next season then I don't necessarily see why the lack of trophies means he should go. It's not (just) the trophies that's pissing fans off right now, it's the failure to learn from the same mistakes that have been repeated constantly for 5 seasons.

If Arsenal were to get 85+ points next season but still finish second and get knocked out of the Champions League narrowly by Barca again, I think anyone still calling for a change of manager after that purely because of the trophy count would be way off the mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

baz2009 wrote: »
    I heard the Arsenal fans were singing "Spend some fooking money" at the game today. Reckon next season could be Wenger's last if it's trophyless?

Fans have been saying it for years, I doubt anything will change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

iMuse wrote: »
    Fans have been saying it for years, I doubt anything will change.

It has to change. The squad as is now is pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

I don't understand why people get so worked up by what he says in interviews. He's not going to say his team is completely **** no matter what happens. Also people tend to only pay any attention to what he says if it goes along with the stereotypes.

It's not what he says but what he does that's important. Especially now after the way the season has gone.

But his actions reflect perfectly what he says........thats the bloody problem!!!:mad:

Wenger says:
    I believe in my players

Wenger does:
    Sticks with the same dummies that havent been good enough for the last 4-5years

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

If he continues to make the same mistakes he's done for the past 5 years (ignore glaring weaknesses in the squad, overly rely on youth, and make rubbish defensive signings like Silvestre, Squillaci etc.) then things could get ugly if the team get off to a bad start next season. There could be an awful lot of fans calling for him to go.

I don't think another trophyless season automatically means he's out, or should even be pushed out. If he was to take the team in the right direction next season then I don't necessarily see why the lack of trophies means he should go. It's not (just) the trophies that's pissing fans off right now, it's the failure to learn from the same mistakes that have been repeated constantly for 5 seasons.

If Arsenal were to get 85+ points next season but still finish second and get knocked out of the Champions League narrowly by Barca again, I think anyone still calling for a change of manager after that purely because of the trophy count would be way off the mark.

+1 and also the ST price increases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Try statto.com you can then click on custom table and it will show ya.
    Just checked Arsenal would be 15th

Not that it makes me feel any better but it turns out we had the best away record in the league this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Ray Houghton reckons Arsenal are going to break their transfer fee record twice in quick succession this summer.

Oh Ray you joker!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Well it wouldn't be hard. What is it, about €20m? They could definitely do with a couple of €20m+ players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Johnny Giles reckons we need a goalkeeper.....

Why are so many people overlooking Wojciech Szczesny?:confused: I know his name is difficult to say but that's no reason to overlook him. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

jordainius wrote: »

Why are so many people overlooking Wojciech Szczesny?:confused: I know his name is difficult to say but that's no reason to overlook him. :mad:
    You're listening to Johnny Giles.

Thats where you first went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Giles is a lazy pundit. Lacks honesty of effort. Calls a game well enough watching it but puts nothing into researching what is going on beforehand. It takes him a couple of months to catch up generally. Fair enough at his age I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

The keeper thing drives me nuts, but we do need a keeper...just not a No.1!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

To be fair it's an easy target for him, Woj broke into the side around the time it all started to go sour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Season is over and im sure many of us will say that is great news because with this attitude in the squad we have at the moment, a few more games and we would have been in serious trouble for our CL qualifying position. Its been a disgrace and it is the only word you can use to describe it.

With a chance of winning a trophy and being in 4 competitions and with a chance to make history with the club, the complete lack of fight has actually been quite staggering to the point when you have to question if any of them actually enjoy being professional footballers. Do our players actually like each other? I don't think many of them actually get on it. It is amazing at how little communication or jeering the other on is done in our games. It seems to me they don't get on and have no intention to help out the other.

That is of course if we play Barcelona at home, when everyone worked hard and players actually played with some pride. Perhaps to some of them it was a transfer window game for some of them? Because frankly to beat Barcelona 2-1 and have some fantastic performances to end up with what we have had at the end of this season would baffle even the best psychologists. Its as if a number of them just give up and stopped trying to actually WIN football matches for Arsenal Football Club.

Not to mention the attitude of players like Denilson, Diaby, Bendtner and a few more, which you can only question their professionalism to actually improve themselves or to even try. Actually go one further, to even pretend to look like you are trying. Many times at the turn of the year, have we watched these players just walk about the pitch and utterly embarrass the club and the fans. Attitude is everything and for many of them, it absolutely stinks and if a number of them are here next season, forget about us winning anything because it just won't happen. Forget about the quality parts of our team which we obviously have, its the lack of caring and desire in the squad which is killing us and has killed us in the run in to winning something.

League table since the cup final...horrendous!
    357rtis.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just after reading there that Ricardo Alvarez has signed a pre-contract with Arsenal. I was hoping that he might go to Rovers maybe, wasn't aware he had signed for Arsenal until today. I'm gutted and you guys are so lucky to have gotten this lad. I watch a lot of Argentinian league soccer and the Copa Libertadores too, really impressed by him this season in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭patrickc

I'll believe it when I see it sigh.

I havent posted much here recently just been so bloody disheartned with Arsenal this season, Just seems to be the most disheartning to me in my memory.

Next year ehh..

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/well-spend-if-we-have-to---wenger

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger insists the club can afford to make a big-money purchase in the summer - if he finds the right man.
    The Gunners are set to strengthen their squad following another trophyless campaign, which could yet end with them having to qualify for the Champions League even if they beat Fulham in their final Barclays Premier League game.
    Arsenal have been linked with Bolton defender Gary Cahill and Everton centre-back Phil Jagielka. Both England internationals would come with inflated pricetags, but Wenger would be prepared to lay out a large chunk of his reported £35million transfer warchest, saying: "I like English players. They are good, but I have said the inflation for them is always very high. It is always a lot of money, but if we have to spend we will do it."
    He added: "On one player we can afford it, but it depends what will happen."
    Wenger added: "We have lists - number one, two, three - and we will try to achieve them.
    "Unfortunately it does not always go like planned. It is very difficult to make things happen.
    "We will work on strengthening the team. We are definitely out on the market - that is for sure."
    While it has been well documented Wenger has funds at his disposal, with that set for both transfer fees and wages, a major summer shopping spree remains unlikely.
    "I will spend what is needed to spend," he said. "It is very difficult to go out and say 'we have so much money', because then people wait for you.
    "Like always we will try to buy at the right price, but we will try to invest."

eagle eye wrote: »
    Just after reading there that Ricardo Alvarez has signed a pre-contract with Arsenal. I was hoping that he might go to Rovers maybe, wasn't aware he had signed for Arsenal until today. I'm gutted and you guys are so lucky to have gotten this lad. I watch a lot of Argentinian league soccer and the Copa Libertadores too, really impressed by him this season in particular.

Can't bring myself to get excited about this transfer to be honest, it's going to be a long summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

L'prof wrote: »
    League table since the cup final...horrendous!
    357rtis.png
    Disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

First signing of the summer?

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/864023-ricardo-alvarez-becomes-first-arsenal-transfer-of-summer-window
    Arsenal have reportedly secured their first signing of the summer with Ricardo Alvarez set to arrive from Velez Sarsfield.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/864023-ricardo-alvarez-becomes-first-arsenal-transfer-of-summer-window#ixzz1N7q3UZnb

The Argentinean attacking midfielder is out of contract at the end of the season, and South American media are claiming he’s already signed a deal to take him to the Emirates in June.
    The move would represent a significant coup for Arsene Wenger, as the 23-year-old has been likened to Lionel Messi after enjoying an impressive season in the Primera Division.
    Velez Sarsfield are currently top of the Argentinean league and Alvarez has contributed three goals in 25 appearances, but it’s the attacking flair and silky dribbling of the 6ft 2in winger that’s really caught the eye.
    Alvarez holds an Italian passport and can play across the entire midfield, suggesting one of Tomas Rosicky, Andrey Arshavin, or Carlos Vela will be headed for the exit door.
    Wenger has pledged to strengthen his squad this summer and news of the potential arrival of the little-known midfielder will come as no surprise to Gunners fans, who have become accustomed to obscure names arriving in north London.

Have no idea who he is fwiw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Bingo Arsené, that's exactly what we're lacking; another attacking midfielder. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

On Alvarez, I've watched a good bit of him. The guy has great vision and is a great passer of the ball and he also possesses great close control.

If I was to liken him to anybody that you've maybe seen it would be his compatriot Redondo or Zidane. He reminds me a lot of them with that kind of air of calmness about it, he just never seems rushed. I really do believe he is going to be a great player. He started out on the wing but since he moved central he has just went to another level. Velez are flying high since he went into the centre of midfield. They are top of the league in Argentina and are in the semi-finals of the Copa Libertadores.

You should be very excited about this signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I must admit to hav e never heard of him before, but have just looked at a lot of clips off him on youtube and he does look good, great skill, turn of pace and a great crosser of the ball and at 23 its not like hes 16 and weve to wait years for him to mature.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I must admit to hav e never heard of him before, but have just looked at a lot of clips off him on youtube and he does look good, great skill, turn of pace and a great crosser of the ball and at 23 its not like hes 16 and weve to wait years for him to mature.

Nice music :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Looks like bendy boots is looking for a transfer too, which is good news

In other news seems clichy to inter milan will be tied up in the next two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Really? Source..?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Im sorry im no good with links its all over twitter last night and this morning
    Im sure someone who knows there way around a computer better will do it.
    Sorry again

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The Alvarez thing smells like bull**** to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Yey!! The season is over!!!!

Time to focus on the positives methinks. I may be deluded but I'd rather spend my summer hoping than be miserable.

1: Verm is back. That's a huge plus. A leader at the back was what we were missing for a long period of the year. Realistically we went most of the year with two CBs and a goalie who were all effectively having their first full season at the club and their first season playing premiership football. I'm not absolving AW of the blame for it but it shouldn't be as apparent next year.

2: RVP is awesome.

3: Wilshire will be a year older. He'll need some rest but we're all pretty excited about him no doubt. Listened to Amy Lawrence once talk about how Cesc scored loads of goals at underage but very few initially when he went to the full team. This apparently is the last thing to click for most AMF's when they make the transition to senior football. Looking forward to it happening for Wilshire.

4: Some of the lazier players look to be on their way out. This will hopefully be important for the work ethic in the squad.

5: Cesc will hopefully stay and return to form and fittness. This year's Cesc(1900 minutes, 3 goals, 13 assists), we would happily sell for 50 million but last year's Cesc(2200 minutes, 15 goals, 15 assists) probably would have been a major factor in our final league position. What would 12 more goals from midfield have done for us? I'd love to see him stay and return to form and with Barca still not really needing him(at least not to the tune of 50 million) but very much needing another expensive forward like Tevez or someone, it could well happen.

6: Walcott got 9 goals and 8 assists in 1700 minutes. His previous two seasons were 2 goals and 2 assists from 1300 mins and 4 goals and 3 assists from 1300 minutes. He seems to really be getting the knack of scoring from his position when cutting inside too.

7: Nasri had his best season in an Arsenal jersey and finally we have someone that looks capable of matching the contribution of Pires.

8: We're top of the 2011/2012 league!!!!!!

As regards the negatives, all the above counts fro nothing unless Wenger manages to sort out the defnesive issues. That's the big worry over the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Looks like bendy boots is looking for a transfer too, which is good news

Oh please god let this be true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭G1032

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Oh please god let this be true.

Oh it is. Thank God for small mercies

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_6946418,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Seeing as the only places reporting it have been Goal.com and the Metro I'm inclined to agree.

Going by reports I wouldn't say no to him as a replacement for Rosicky though.

Seeing as the only places reporting it have been Goal.com and the Metro I'm inclined to agree.

Going by reports I wouldn't say no to him as a replacement for Rosicky though.
    I'm not terribly enamoured by what I've read about him - an inexperienced, goal shy, headless 23 year old attacking midfielder, just off the back of a serious injury.

Woo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Wouldn't blame bendtner, if he's not on the bench he's out on the right. He's gotten a few chances but not enough imo. he's a bit of an eejit but I think we'll regret letting him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

I could and may well be wrong but I think he's already signed on a pre-contract; meaning we pretty much got him. I think he's arriving in June. Don't hold me to that, just what I've heard.

You know what I'd love to see happen? Clichy out (I mean we could probably fetch 15mil for him) and Olsson in. I've been watching him for a few weeks now and I think he is just fantastic. Only 23 and I'd say he'd be reasonably cheap (I mean, probably too dear for Wenger :p)

And what's all this talk about Benzema? Really? What a load of bull. First off, he'd probably be 20mil and imo, a lot worse than RVP. And really, we don't need a world class striker. And ah...tbh, Wenger gonna buy him? ha

I also hope with all my heart Samba comes this summer. He's EXACTLY what we need. Anyone see him a couple of weeks ago (forget who against) but he just kept getting himself infront of the ball no matter what. He's extremely determined and is a wonderful decision maker (unlike you know who).

What I'd like to see:

In: Samba + Another strong smart CB, Olsson, Hazard and maybe some backup stiker i.e. Gerviniho and Lansbury moved up :)
    Out: Bendtner, Denilson, Koscielny, Squallaci,Rosicky ,Vela, and
    maybe even Fab (na probably not)
    lol

EDIT: And in response to Bendtner, people saying he's not getting his chance? He got plenty last year with no RVP or Chamakh and frankly he was one of the worst strikers to play for Arsenal in as long as I can remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

We'd be lucky to get 15p for clichy after some of the games he had this season.

I'm not terribly enamoured by what I've read about him - an inexperienced, goal shy, headless 23 year old attacking midfielder, just off the back of a serious injury.

Woo.

Hasn't he played a full season since his injury? Also Nasri wasn't exactly banging in the goals before he came here, or indeed until this season.

He does seem a bit inexperienced for a 23 year old and there's a decent chance he could flop going straight from the Argentinian league to the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Noo

Get in Baines! He carried my fantasy team this season, which should be the logic behind all signings.

Noo wrote: »
    Get in Baines! He carried my fantasy team this season, which should be the logic behind all signings.

Baines asking price = reasonable
    Man City declare insterst.
    Baines asking price = Through the roof.

• Advertisement

Don't the fair play rules kick in now? City won't be able to keep paying ridiculous amounts of money anymore?

Logic would suggest so, PS.

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Don't the fair play rules kick in now? City won't be able to keep paying ridiculous amounts of money anymore?

I would have to say it's after this summer going by reports of City interested in massive players.

Surely Arsenal FC will prosper with these new rules?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The likes of denilson, Bendtner etc. seem to be playing the 'you cant fire me, I quit!" card.

I would have to say it's after this summer going by reports of City interested in massive players.
    It wouldn't make a difference (amortisation), but it is this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

eh, can someone explain to me why cesc was allowed to attend the grand prix in barcelona instead of attending the match at craven? do people find this acceptable because i certainly do not. in fact it's quite absurd.

i think it's time for him to go. i know he has been injured and on his day is one of the best around but he doesnt want to be there, thinks he is better than the club and this latest incident solidifies that. let ramsey and wilshere form their partnership and bring is parker as well.

good riddance cesc.

he never should have been captain. the whole episode is laughable and caps off the joke the club is becoming.

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    The likes of denilson, Bendtner etc. seem to be playing the 'you cant fire me, I quit!" card.

I loved Denilson's 'I don't think I'll go to Man city, Chelsea, Man Utd. etc' spiel as if they're all sniffing around trying to get a piece of him.

Bendtner I think will do pretty well elsewhere playing up front regularly .

eh, can someone explain to me why cesc was allowed to attend the grand prix in barcelona instead of attending the match at craven? do people find this acceptable because i certainly do not. in fact it's quite absurd.

i think it's time for him to go. i know he has been injured and on his day is one of the best around but he doesnt want to be there, thinks he is better than the club and this latest incident solidifies that. let ramsey and wilshere form their partnership and bring is parker as well.

good riddance cesc.

he never should have been captain. the whole episode is laughable and caps off the joke the club is becoming.

I don't think the injured players ever travel to away matches really. Although it would have been a nice gesture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Anyone know when our away kit for next year is being officially released?

I know it's going to be the blue/navy chevron one but there's no word on when it's out...

Good news everyone!

Jack has been omitted from the U21 squad.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13454377.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Thank fcuk for that. On another note it shows it's a good thing that Ramsey is welsh, far less big internationals for him to play in over the years.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement