Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Well done Stuart Pearce.

... also well done Jack. Sensible lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭G1032

Well done Stuart Pearce.

... also well done Jack. Sensible lad.

I'd say it was more a case of Capello pulling the dtrings there. Pearce just wasn't allowed bring him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Let's just hope that he's not too disappointed and isn't harbouring any grudges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

eh, can someone explain to me why cesc was allowed to attend the grand prix in barcelona instead of attending the match at craven? do people find this acceptable because i certainly do not. in fact it's quite absurd.
    He was injured, so he had no part to play on the pitch. It would be better if he were there as a voice of leadership in the dressing room and so on, but put things in context; it was a meaningless game, the season has been effectively over for a long time now so if he wants to watch a formula one race at his hometown then why the hell not?
    If there was actually something to play for then we all know Cesc would have been at the game. Lets try and keep things in context.
    i think it's time for him to go. i know he has been injured and on his day is one of the best around but he doesnt want to be there, thinks he is better than the club and this latest incident solidifies that. let ramsey and wilshere form their partnership and bring is parker as well.
    Your interpretation of Cesc attending the race is absolutely crazy- thinks he's bigger than the club?? He has been nothing but respectful towards this club in all his time here. Patrick Vieira used to regularly publically question the clubs ambition and tried to engineer moves away from the club in 3 or 4 summers while he was here, and he slagged the club off while doing it too. Summer 2001 he had a right go at the club, said that they wouldn't finish in the top 5 (went on to win the double...). Cesc has NEVER come out with stories like that. Last summer, when he wanted to move he was very dignified about it all and made no complaints when the club told him they wouldn't sell him.
    good riddance cesc.
    This is just silly. He wants to leave so all of a sudden we're going to act as though we don't want him. After what he has done for the club any half decent Arsenal fan should only be wishing Cesc the best of luck in his future career. Thank's Cesc, best of luck.
    he never should have been captain. the whole episode is laughable and caps off the joke the club is becoming.
    Who else was it going to be given to at the time? It had to be stripped from Gallas. Toure had lost form and was no longer a guaranteed starter and giving it to him would have caused a massive problem with Gallas as they were no longer on speaking terms. van Persie was the next option but he was a risk as he's injured too often. Sagna had only been an Arsenal player 15 months at the time and was hardly leadership quality. Only other guaranteed starters at the time were Adebayor, Clichy and Almunia. Are you seriously suggesting that they at the time were more plausible options for the captaincy than Cesc??

He was the best option available, its not his fault that there wasn't anyone better at the club at the time to give the captaincy to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

he doesnt want to be there, thinks he is better than the club and this latest incident solidifies that.

How exactly does someone come to the conclusion that Cesc thinks he is better than Arsenal?

Justify it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Looking very likely Aguero is off to Real now.

I can dream of Higuaín...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Cesc is back at the training ground now with Luckasz and everyone else gone on holiday. Sack the rest of the team for lack of commitment?

ARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

Who are we going to sign?? WHO??????

I thought I might be able to switch it off this year and just ignore wasting my time giving thought to the millions of rumours that abound.
    Wenger wrote:
    The market will be hyperactive because everyone believes financial fair play will happen soon. So we are quickly doing the last buying before the stores will be closed. And for the first time for a while, I will be very active, too. The club is in a healthy financial situation and we have got the basis of the team but we know we want to be stronger next year.

This does not help Arsne!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Dick Burns

oh look clichy has joined denilson and bendtner in der "oh i want to leave"

http://www.goal.com/en/news/596/exclusive/2011/05/24/2501440/gael-clichy-tells-arsenal-he-wants-to-leave-with-inter

this is cleary getting their retaliation in first,they obviously know they were gonna be shown the exit door

if we got between 20-25 mill for the 3 on top of the 50 million we already have to spend maybe a sneaky bid for aguero???he says hes leaving

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Dick Burns wrote: »
    oh look clichy has joined denilson and bendtner in der "oh i want to leave"

http://www.goal.com/en/news/596/exclusive/2011/05/24/2501440/gael-clichy-tells-arsenal-he-wants-to-leave-with-inter

this is cleary getting their retaliation in first,they obviously know they were gonna be shown the exit door

if we got between 20-25 mill for the 3 on top of the 50 million we already have to spend maybe a sneaky bid for aguero???he says hes leaving
    Exactly. Its pathetic really. They knew they were on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Next we'll have Almunia coming out saying he's moving on as he wasnt given a decent chance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Just after seeing the new home shirt... ugh! Is that a PRINTED crest?! Since when have we started to change our home jersey every year now, we're just another Man Utd or Chelsea now. Fair enough the 2006 season where we wore the "redcurrant" jersey but why change last years jersey... besides for monterey gain. Oh Arsenal...

Jersey: http://arsenaldirect.arsenal.com/adult-short-sleeved-home-shirt/adults-125-home-ss-shirt-/invt/h23980a/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

FearDark wrote: »
    Just after seeing the new home shirt... ugh! Is that a PRINTED crest?! Since when have we started to change our home jersey every year now, we're just another Man Utd or Chelsea now. Fair enough the 2006 season where we wore the "redcurrant" jersey but why change last years jersey... besides for monterey gain. Oh Arsenal...

Jersey: http://arsenaldirect.arsenal.com/adult-short-sleeved-home-shirt/adults-125-home-ss-shirt-/invt/h23980a/

They are using the 125th anniversary of the club an an excuse to change the jersey.

As you said United and Chelsea do it so why not Arsenal!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

The Finnish FA have announced that Carl Jenkinson is joining Arsenal at last. Think it's on a free but Arsenal have to pay a Million in compensation. Don't know a whole lot other than he is a right back and is versatile who can play anywhere in the back.

The first or second (If the rumors about Alvarez is true) of many to come this summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Dick Burns

keano_afc wrote: »
    Next we'll have Almunia coming out saying he's moving on as he wasnt given a decent chance.

Genius!!

So basically Denilson,Bendtner,Clichy and the most definate one Almunia will be going thats 4 players i think wenger will buy at least 4 this summer and we will have lansbury,frimpong,coqueilln as squad players,emmanuel thomas prehaps aswel

in regards the jersey i remember reading Adidas are bringing out new jerseys every year now and think nike are doing the same aswel by the looks of it utd + barca and tink inter cud ave new jerseys aswel as adidas's real madrid and AC milan and chelsea

Looking at two signing's already i'm building up hope again*...

*Totally feels like battered wife's syndrome: 'he's not all bad, he has his good days too...'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Looking at two signing's already i'm building up hope again*...

*Totally feels like battered wife's syndrome: 'he's not all bad, he has his good days too...'
    Who do you think we will sign then? Any predictions in here?

KeithAFC wrote: »

Ideally, and in a very particular order:

Dream Summer: Hazard, Benzema, decent combative central midfielder (in the De Rossi mould, we'd never get him though), centre back.

What will happen: Jenkinson, Sakho, Chamberlain.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

KeithAFC wrote: »

A half dozen kids and two or three nobodys from Ligue1/Finland.

You know, the usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

FearDark wrote: »
    A half dozen kids and two or three nobodys from Ligue1/Finland.

You know, the usual.

Dont forget Vermaelen, who'll be like a new signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Folks as a hardcore gooner im disgusted with the finish to the season and i think AW should be replaced.Anyone who disagrees with me needs to have their heads tested as its been an absolute diabolical end to the season in my opinion.We have never finished so badly if it was any other top club then the manager is out the door.Look at chelsea and ancelloti gone even though the finished second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Frisbee wrote: »
    Ideally, and in a very particular order:

Dream Summer: Hazard, Benzema, decent combative central midfielder (in the De Rossi mould, we'd never get him though), centre back.

What will happen: Jenkinson, Sakho, Chamberlain.

If this ^^ is your cynical view of what will happen. I'd settle for Chamberlain and Sakho. And also Benzema is a stupid buy. For the price tag, he wouldn't be all that useful. Since we play 4-5-1 in every god damn match!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Colinboy wrote: »
    Look at chelsea and ancelloti gone even though the finished second.

I think everybody would agree that Ancelotti getting the sack was a crazy decision and I hope Arsenal never become a club where the owner throws his toys out of the pram every year he doesn't get what he wants!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

An ITK on the Sunderland forum claims that an International player who plays as a striker in North London met with Sunderland officials with regards to a move to the club.

Someone asked was it Pavlychenko and he said ''right area'' rather than ''right club'' so I'm presuming it's Arsenal.

Have you heard anything? It would hardly be Bendtner would it? He'd be a superb signing for us. I know for a fact we tried to get Chamakh in in the January before he signed for Arsenal, but even though we offered big money for him with only 6 months left on his contract Bordeaux wouldn't sell him to us, so we could be in for him again.

I'll guess at Chamakh and I'd be happy with that to be honest (although obviously it's early days so might not happen, and after all it might not even be him!) What are your thoughts on him?

• Advertisement

Bendtner wants out, so that would make sense.

Also, we signed three grown-ups last summer. Might happen again.

Colinboy wrote: »
    Folks as a hardcore gooner im disgusted with the finish to the season and i think AW should be replaced.Anyone who disagrees with me needs to have their heads tested as its been an absolute diabolical end to the season in my opinion.We have never finished so badly if it was any other top club then the manager is out the door.Look at chelsea and ancelloti gone even though the finished second.

Newsflash; we're not Chelsea. To use Ancelotti's sacking as a means to illustrate why Wenger should be sacked is ridiculous and warrants more head checking than someone disagreeing with your point of view.

The widespread view is that Ancelotti's sacking was wrong. He was sacked because their owner thinks winning the Champions League is as easy in real life as it is in Championship Manager.

Paleface wrote: »
    I think everybody would agree that Ancelotti getting the sack was a crazy decision and I hope Arsenal never become a club where the owner throws his toys out of the pram every year he doesn't get what he wants!

Ancelotti won the double last season. Imagine if Arsenal sacked Wenger for Arsenal not winning a trophy in 1999, the year after he too won the double in his first full season?! I'm glad Arsenal are not that type of club!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Paully D wrote: »
    An ITK on the Sunderland forum claims that an International player who plays as a striker in North London met with Sunderland officials with regards to a move to the club.

Someone asked was it Pavlychenko and he said ''right area'' rather than ''right club'' so I'm presuming it's Arsenal.

Have you heard anything? It would hardly be Bendtner would it? He'd be a superb signing for us. I know for a fact we tried to get Chamakh in in the January before he signed for Arsenal, but even though we offered big money for him with only 6 months left on his contract Bordeaux wouldn't sell him to us, so we could be in for him again.

I'll guess at Chamakh and I'd be happy with that to be honest (although obviously it's early days so might not happen, and after all it might not even be him!) What are your thoughts on him?

not an Arsenal fan but I predicted Bendter to somewhere like Newcastle in here recently. Is Sunderland anything like Newcastle ? :pac:

think at a side like that he could actually flourish getting more gametime in his proper position. I'd imagine you would be talking 9/10m though but that is money that could be got back by a resale and thats one thing to consider about Bendter he thinks he's great I doubt he would see him self at Sunderland long term if he got bigger offers down the line.

denilson, Bendtner, Clichy's recent words would make me happy if I was an Arsenal fan as odd as that may sound considering any player speak ill of the club isnt good. They are 3 ( 4 if you add Almunia) players considering their form/amount of game time that Arsenal probably wouldent miss all that much and they are also players that have a decent market value.

As I said above Bendy could net you around 9/10m and I wouldent be surprised to see Denilson go to the continent for 7m+, Clichy being linked to Inter for 5.5m atm would mean just those three could get Arsenal 22m+ (even more if you add in Almunia etc), a hell of a lot would be saved on wages too you would imagine

• Advertisement

If this ^^ is your cynical view of what will happen. I'd settle for Chamberlain and Sakho. And also Benzema is a stupid buy. For the price tag, he wouldn't be all that useful. Since we play 4-5-1 in every god damn match!!!!!

I also think we should go 4-4-2 which is why I want Benzema or a striker of his ilk.

You'd be happy with Chamberlain and Sakho?

A speed merchant from Southampton who is unproven at the top level and a young centre back from Ligue 1? We've been there before and it's not gone well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The only player I'd miss would be Bendtner, he gets far too much stick from some fans and was a useful player as a third striker. Not so useful as right winger.

That said, I think it's best for both him and the club that he goes. He needs more game time, not 20 minutes at the end of a game on the wing. The club could do with the money to reinvest in the squad.

Am somewhat excited at the thought of not having to see Denilson or Clichy in an Arsenal jersey again.

Am somewhat excited at the thought of not having to see Denilson or Clichy in an Arsenal jersey again.

I'm really not getting the Clichy bashing. Yes he's been poor but he's still miles ahead of anyone else we have there and there isn't really any decent left backs available atm. The thoughts of relying on Gibbs as first choice next year is terrifying.

I'm really not getting the Clichy bashing. Yes he's been poor but he's still miles ahead of anyone else we have there and there isn't really any decent left backs available atm. The thoughts of relying on Gibbs as first choice next year is terrifying.

Recently he's been far too dodgey at the back and doesn't add an awful lot going forward these days, although lack of end product may have something to do with the setup of the team. If we can find a solid replacement for him then I'd be fairly happy, but there's no point getting rid of him for the sake of it.

One thing to note is that Clichy, Bendtner, and Denilson all count as homegrown players so that might become a problem.

One thing to note is that Clichy, Bendtner, and Denilson all count as homegrown players so that might become a problem.

I think it's becoming less and less of a problem to be honest with some of the players that are beginning to come through the youth setup. I don't think they'll all make it, but I do think that more than we're used to will start pushing the first team.

L'prof wrote: »
    I think it's becoming less and less of a problem to be honest with some of the players that are beginning to come through the youth setup. I don't think they'll all make it, but I do think that more than we're used to will start pushing the first team.

That's true actually. We can sign proper replacements for them(hopefully) and the bump up the likes of Lansbury if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Nope. Arsenal can register maximum 17 non-homegrown players, last season we registered 13. I don't know who's turned 21 since (think Vela maybe?) but we should still be ok.

Fcuk strikers and wingers. We score plenty of goals.

Take our 50-70 million and get Philip Lahm, Giorgio Chellini and Cambiasso. Average age - 28, average medal tally - sh1tloads!!

Spend whatever's left over on attackers.

Obviously that won't happen but I want experienced winners who will teach their teammates how to defend because there doesn't appear to be anyone else at the club capable of it.

I'm far more concerned about the age and experience of whoever's coming in rather than their skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

I also think we should go 4-4-2 which is why I want Benzema or a striker of his ilk.

You'd be happy with Chamberlain and Sakho?

A speed merchant from Southampton who is unproven at the top level and a young centre back from Ligue 1? We've been there before and it's not gone well.

We don't need Benzema though and I can guarantee you now. If Wenger makes any big signings, it will not be Benzema. Transfer fee and he's used to Real Madrid wages...If Wenger does splash out, I hope he has the sense to do so in a Centre back.

And yes I'd be happy with those two signings but I think you misunderstood my post. I think you understood it as; As long as Wenger buys these two, then I'm happy. But what I meant was, I would be delighted to see both of these enter the club this summer, ALONG with others. I didn't really make that clear sorry.

• Advertisement

We don't need Benzema though and I can guarantee you now. If Wenger makes any big signings, it will not be Benzema.

Oh I know, it would just be my dream signing. A tempermental and speedy young French forward who is out of favour at another major European club.

Lightning can strike twice right? RIGHT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭sonic85

id like to see wenger make a move for toulalan of lyon. does everything simple not afraid of the phyical stuff and most importantly he has loads of experience. i really like him as a player and i think hed do very well with us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Anyone ever read the Arsenal Column? Really interesting article on it from a week ago about Arsenal's crossing.

excerpt:
    Wenger has declared Arsenal won’t buy a wide player next season although I’d argue they do need to; though one who offers more of a dynamic threat, improving on the style now rather than just putting the ball in the box. Of course, that’s not to say crossing as a whole should be abandoned; just that it shouldn’t be seen as a primary mode of playing but as a way of complementing Arsenal’s play when it’s dynamic and interchanging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Arsene Wenger on Karim Benzema: "Viewed from the outside, it doesn't seem impossible today. He's a player that I like."

Would be a good signing but only a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I think the shambles we saw at the end of the season may be a blessing in disguise. when we beat United Wenger was ging on about what a talented squd awe had and our mental strenght and depth - in other words he seemed happy with his squad and therefore would not be smaking much in the way of signings.
    Now that things have gotten REALLY bad lately, and some of the rats have begun to flee teh sinking ship, he should see the light and make some proper signings.

SHOULD

Although i would welcome Benzema, it will never happen.
    As it is he really needs to spend £50m + in total, and Benzema to take a chunk £20-£25m of that??, no chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Clichy is dreadful. Stupid lapses at the back and awful going forward. Not sure what his redeeming qualities are.

Gibbs has had an awful season too and I would seriously hope he's not the starting left back next season but I've just had enough of Clichy at this stage.

Clichy is dreadful. Stupid lapses at the back and awful going forward. Not sure what his redeeming qualities are.

Gibbs has had an awful season too and I would seriously hope he's not the starting left back next season but I've just had enough of Clichy at this stage.

The stark reality is if we let Clichy go Gibbs will be our #1 left back next year.

And that will be a fúcking disaster.

Clichy >>>> Gibbs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Have to aggree with this, sick of looking at Clichy, silly mistakes and lapses in concentration, and offers nothing in attack, despite getting forward quite a bit. 1 assist all season, very poor return.

Gibbs has been appalling when played, very disappointed in him really. I though he was going to be great a few years ago, but he seems to of regressed a bit...missed headers, weak marking, and is a target for opposing teams when crossing, as he is weak in the air.

He could still turn out to be a super player I suppose, but it doesnt look like it will be happening next season.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    Fcuk strikers and wingers. We score plenty of goals.

Take our 50-70 million and get Philip Lahm, Giorgio Chellini and Cambiasso. Average age - 28, average medal tally - sh1tloads!!

Spend whatever's left over on attackers.

Obviously that won't happen but I want experienced winners who will teach their teammates how to defend because there doesn't appear to be anyone else at the club capable of it.

I'm far more concerned about the age and experience of whoever's coming in rather than their skills.
    We don't score nearly enough. We've failed to score 8 times (possibly more) this season and we've huffed and puffed and struggled many times more than that again. The defensive mares is a long list but go through our fixtures and look at the offensive horror shows and the list is quite a bit longer.

// actually it's not that much longer - probably about 6 games worse. It's definitely a priority though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement