Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I don't believe it.

Fair enough, if someone cannot afford a season ticket rise then financially they will have to give up their ticket.

If Arsenal sign X Marquee player , that same person won't still have the income to afford the ticket. I doubt that they would then find the extra money just to watch X Marquee player.

Just my own personal take on it, something i thought of in Economics the other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

SDTimeout wrote: »
    I don't believe it.

Fair enough, if someone cannot afford a season ticket rise then financially they will have to give up their ticket.

If Arsenal sign X Marquee player , that same person won't still have the income to afford the ticket. I doubt that they would then find the extra money just to watch X Marquee player.

Just my own personal take on it, something i thought of in Economics the other day.

He's talking more about people who do have the money for it but just aren't arsed paying an extra 6.5% to see Wenger refuse to strengthen the team again. If he brings in a marquee signing then that may well change the minds of that particular group.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Yeah, if you're fed up watching the same old sh1t every year then another summer of transfer inertia could break the camel's back, so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Hmmm suppossedly now were looking at Stewart Downing now aswell? Arsenal and Liverpool are looking at him as hes refusing to rush in and sign a new contract and has stated he want s to play Champions Leaue football.

But somehow I cant see him signing for Arsenal I couldnt see Villa selling him for less than 25 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

gosplan wrote: »
    Possibly, but I think he's going to try and buy big this summer. He's never really been dishonest as regards his transfer dealings and I wouldn't expect him to start now just to secure more season tickets.

Nasri to Man U makes me get sick in my mouth.

Oh, I know he will buy, but I just think maybe the board saw it as a good opportunity to win back some supporters who previously would have given up their ticket. I mean, Wenger has never really been one who makes headlines about possible but unlikely transfers. He usually keeps very, very quiet. And thats why I think maybe it's the boards idea.

And yes, nothing disgusts me more than Nasri to United :mad:

Hmmm suppossedly now were looking at Stewart Downing now aswell? Arsenal and Liverpool are looking at him as hes refusing to rush in and sign a new contract and has stated he want s to play Champions Leaue football.

But somehow I cant see him signing for Arsenal I couldnt see Villa selling him for less than 25 million.

1. He's not good enough
    2. 25M? Lol, they'd fetch 15 for him MAX, and that's because of the British Tax, he's worth about 8.
    3. He's not good enough.

If we sign Stewart Downing I'll go bananas.

Frisbee wrote: »
    1. He's not good enough
    2. 25M? Lol, they'd fetch 15 for him MAX, and that's because of the British Tax, he's worth about 8.
    3. He's not good enough.

If we sign Stewart Downing I'll go bananas.

While I agree hes not worth more than 15 million but lets not forget hes English which means they usually only sell at hugely inflated prices.
    Plus I wouldnt say no to him at Arsenal Id rather him than Arshavin there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

While I agree hes not worth more than 15 million but lets not forget hes English which means they usually only sell at hugely inflated prices.
    Plus I wouldnt say no to him at Arsenal Id rather him than Arshavin there.

Villa have no intention of selling Downing atm but even i spit out my tea reading 25m, fook me! you'd swear the link was to Man City not to Arsene "Where's my wallet" Wenger. though i do expect him to spend more this summer

We've signed another Barca youth player to add to Toral. 16 year old right winger Hector Bellerin.

Can't say I know anything about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Supposedly we opened talks with st-etienne over midfielder Balise Matuidi, he is allowed leave if a champions league come in for him. Dont no much about him myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Frisbee wrote: »
    Confirmed

jrpURl

Oh sweet jesus, that's hideous. I wont be buying any Arsenal shirts next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

see the picture of pique and puyol from our training ground today disrespectful *****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Noo

see the picture of pique and puyol from our training ground today disrespectful *****

care to share it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Re Matuidi. From what I know he seems to be the sort of player we need in midfield(i.e a ball winning defensive midfielder). He's also Saint Etienne's captain and 24 so no too young. Other than that I wouldn't know too much about him.

I assume this is the Pique/Puyol thing he's referring to:

http://yfrog.com/h7bc6mrj

• Advertisement

My first reaction was to call them dicks but on reflection I don't care. They're mates with Cesc engaging in a bit of banter/ribbing. Chesney takes the piss out of our rivals and he gets loved for it.

Besides, according to an SSN article today, in addition to signing Jon Toral Harper from Barca's youth academy we've also signed Hector Bellerin. All's fair etc.

If it wasn't Barca no-one would care. It's just two lads dícking about with a picture of their mate. Like turning your friends schoolbag inside out when you were younger.

Completely blown out of proportion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Fursttimer

All you lot must have been born in 1990's? :D

Happy May 26th everyone :)

Twenty-two year anniversary. Greatest moment ever for a gooner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Fursttimer wrote: »
    All you lot must have been born in 1990's? :D

Happy May 26th everyone :)

Twenty-two year anniversary. Greatest moment ever for a gooner :D

Enjoy

Just heard Arsenal and Tottenham both had bids rejected for Falcao.

• Advertisement

I assume this is the Pique/Puyol thing he's referring to:

http://yfrog.com/h7bc6mrj

Seriously?
    Ever go into a mates house/old school and laugh at their picture on the wall...we've all done it.

keano_afc wrote: »

This is the reason we havent had nice things in our house since the 80s.

I dont know about that one, according to goal.com both Arsenal and Tottenham have bid 26 million sterling which would tigger his release clause.

But im not buying that one bit, Wenger 26 million on a player and ive never heard mentioned in line with Arsenal before, just some journalist trying to justify his wage I think.

ive never heard mentioned in line with Arsenal before, just some journalist trying to justify his wage I think.

Wenger was praising him up and down before the Europa League final. Na Wenger is a great admirer of him and has every reason to be. I wouldn't be all that surprised if Wenger tried a sneaky early bid to catch out the competitors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

all these rumours.... Parker, Benzema, Falcao, Baines, Sakho, Oxford-Chamberlain, Cahill...

Oh just wake me when they're standing outside the stadium smiling with the shirt.

PS: booked my plane tickets for the Emirates Cup. Who else here is going?

Galvasean wrote: »
    all these rumours.... Parker, Benzema, Falcao, Baines, Sakho, Oxford-Chamberlain, Cahill...

Oh just wake me when they're standing outside the stadium smiling with the shirt.

PS: booked my plane tickets for the Emirates Cup. Who else here is going?

Expensive? I'm thinking of heading over with the brother.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Expensive? I'm thinking of heading over with the brother.

Aer Lingus - about €80 to head over on Saturday morning and return on Monday afternoon. Not too shabby.

I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Just been looking at the table... few stats about our season so far, how we're still in with a chance in spite of everything and what it might need for us to take that chance:

- We have the highest win % in the league: 60%.

- We have the joint lowest draw %, along with Stoke and Wolves: 15%. Utd, despite being unbeaten, have drawn 42% of their games.

- We're currently the highest scorers with 42 goals (at 2.1 goals per game). Utd, the only other team averaging above 2 GPG, have a higher ratio though: 2.16.

- We have almost the exact same points per game ratio as City: 1.95. A win against them would help.

- We have played 11 times away and 9 times at home. No other team in the top 6 has played more away games than home games. City, however, pick up more points per game away than at home.

- We have conceded 1.1 goals per game. City, Utd and Chelsea all concede less than 1 per game, with City leading the way at 0.76.

- Our average goal difference is +1 per game - the club motto should probably change to "We're going to score one more than you".

- Van Persie and Fabregas have played 1306 minutes between them in our 20 games (less than 14 full games and just over a third of the playing time available). Nani alone has played 1261 minutes for Utd in one game less, despite missing the last 3.

- In the 10 games Fabregas and RVP played together last year, they scored 13 goals and had 16 assists between them. In the 2 games they've started together this year, they've had 2 goals and 2 assists.

The above was after 20 games, thought it'd be interesting to update it for the full 38-game season.

- So, eh, we didn't finish with the highest win percentage. It dropped from 60% to 50% overall, and was at 38.9% from above until the end of the year.

- Our advantage in drawing a lot fewer games than United disappeared. We drew 8 of our last 18 and both teams ended up drawing 11 (29%). Chelsea and City drew 8 each all year.

- We finished as second top scorers which is about what we were headed for but our GPG dropped to 1.89 for the season (last 18: 1.67). We only scored 33 of our 72 goals at home, while United got 49 of their 78 at Old Trafford.

- We didn't get that win against City and our points per game dropped to 1.79 for the season (last 18: 1.61). City's dropped too but we still finished behind them.

- Having more home matches left than other teams didn't turn out to be an advantage... our home form hadn't been great up to that point and we only scored 11 times in our last 10 home matches. We scored 19 in our last 8 away, but the defence was far leakier on the road than at the Grove.

- We ended up conceding 1.13 goals per game for the year (about the same). Chelsea and City each finished at 0.87.

- We got RVP back from that point on (and how! - he played in 16 of our last 18 and scored 17) but Fabregas only started 11 of our last 18, with 1 sub appearance.

- In the 11 games they started together in the last 18, RVP and Cesc had 16 goals and 10 assists between them. Cesc scored in none of those matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

I'm going too

• Advertisement

I am.
    I'm going too

We should have a boards Gooners beer or something.
    yahoo_moe wrote: »
    T
    - We got RVP back from that point on (and how! - he played in 16 of our last 18 and scored 17)

He took a break from scoring against United so he could set up Ramsey. Nice fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

Compilation of Héctor Bellerín (7).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

^^^ so thats this winger type player ive heard about? havent seen that at Arsenal of late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Galvasean wrote: »
    We should have a boards Gooners beer or something.

I think it's bang in the middle of an enforced 2 week holiday for me, so I'm considering heading over too. Never been to the Emirates Cup before either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Would love to see Paddy Vieira back at the club. He'd be a great player to bring on for the last 20-30 minutes when you're ahead (or at least a better option than Diaby).

For a moment there I thought the number in brackets beside his name was his age. Wouldnt surprise me at all.

:eek: Crosses. Maybe in five or six years we can have ryo on the left and him on the right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

gosplan wrote: »
    Would love to see Paddy Vieira back at the club. He'd be a great player to bring on for the last 20-30 minutes when you're ahead (or at least a better option than Diaby).

Maybe in a coaching capacity, but as a player Vieira is way over the hill. He was getting there the time he left us and he's most definitely over it and round the bend at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

cson wrote: »
    Maybe in a coaching capacity, but as a player Vieira is way over the hill. He was getting there the time he left us and he's most definitely over it and round the bend at this stage.

Well, he'd have to accept that if we're lining out against United he wouldn't be in the starting team but I think he'd probably be OK with that.

But vrs tired legs when you're trying to shore up the midfield and pretect a lead? I'd happily stick him in.

Again ... our other option for this is Diaby.

• Advertisement

Diaby =/= Vieira though. No point asking him to do a job he can't. To be honest I'd love to see Vieira, Henry and Bergkamp back at the club but in a coaching capacity and not a playing one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Paddy V is past it, he hasn't been a regular starter at club level for a good 4 years now and hasn't been a regular for France since the 2006 World Cup. Far too slow now, and for me he was a bit too troublesome in his time at the club for my liking to ever consider bringing him back. (As in constantly wanting away, even in the summer after the club won the league undefeated, almost went to Madrid, didn't because they wouldn't offer him "galactico" wages but pretended that the real reason was because he loved the club too much.)

By the way- Wenger managed to hang on to Vieira as long as he wanted him despite PV trying to leave so many times, so maybe we shouldn't take it for granted that Cesc will be off. With Cesc having such a long contract it's Wenger that has the upper hand.

I'm more worried about Nasri right now TBH. Hopefully wenger will realise that signings are needed not only to improve, the team but also to stop it from becoming even weaker when our top players get fed up of the same old lack of sucess and want out (not you Denilson).

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

All hail Captain Jack -

gun__1306494403_pots2011_wilshere.jpg
    It's time to announce the Arsenal.com Player of the Season - as voted for by the fans.

And the winner is... Jack Wilshere.

The 19-year-old enjoyed a meteoric rise in 2010/11, starting the campaign on the fringes of the Arsenal side and ending it as a regular for club and country.

Jack received 41.4 per cent of the votes in our poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Fabregas really is one of the best players in the world.

His poorest season like this one would be most players best season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭sonic85

rumours were showing big interest in stewart downing. jesus. reo coker was released today too - we were interested in him once upon a time werent we? wouldnt surprise me if arsene brought him in.

According to who?

Honestly, it's not even June and I've already seen so many bull**** rumours that are clearly the product of someone on twitter just making something up. Downing? No chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭sonic85

According to who?

Honestly, it's not even June and I've already seen so many bull**** rumours that are clearly the product of someone on twitter just making something up. Downing? No chance.

Skysports.com revealed earlier this month that Villa want to make him the highest paid player at the club, but Liverpoolspacer.gif and Arsenalspacer.gif are both understood to be keen.

theres stories all over the place - not saying i believe any of them but really if the likes of downing is the level of player were after then wenger needs a long hard look at himself

That video emphasised how ****e Arshavin has been for us. He's an awful slow ****er too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Hes getting a well deserved rest this summer so hopefully well see the best of him again in August.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement