Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

A suspiciously candid interview with Arsene from France:

http://www.ashburtongrove.co.uk/2011/05/wenger-on-fabregas-future-nasris.html
    Wenger on Arsenal's 2010-2011 season:
    "I was upset. We though we could win all the trophies, but we failed due to a lack of character. It is the most frustrating season I've had to go through.
    "The team played some of the best football I saw at Arsenal, but failed to reach the top when needed. It is frustrating and questionning. We need maturity."

On potential signings, Wenger said:
    "We will try to buy players who could gave us what we need. It's a difficult task. Firstly, we have to enforce defensive line. We lost points against teams who play the natural English way of football, with long balls and physical struggle.
    "So we need players who know how to manage this kind of game, which means English players, or players who know the Premier League."

About the possible departures of Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasir, Wenger said:
    "Fabregas will not go this summer. Last summer,Barcelona made offers, but on this one there is no offers at all. He's the best midfielder in the world, we built the team with him around him. He's our captain, we want to keep him at any cost.
    "Regarding Nasri, one thing is absolutely sure, that we will not sell him to Manchester United. We have a financial disagreement with the player, and I will work on it during the summer, to ensure he will extend his contract."

Regarding Arsenal's rumoured interest in Karim Benzema, Wenger said:
    "As far as I know, Madrid doesn't want to sell the player, which is understandable. And the fact that Zidane is now close to the club will reinforce possibility of that Benzema won't move."

On his philosophy for next season, Wenger said:
    "Only world class players can reinforce our team, because we already have a world-class quality football. The target is to keep our qualities, strengthen them and get rid of our weaknesses.
    "We still have to improve offensively, because we are an offensive team. There are people who ask me to change our way to play, but I think we have to keep going with this style of play."

On his plan to travel to South America on holiday, Wenger said:
    "I will spent my holidays there, scouting players and meeting people in South America."
    I say suspiciously as it isn't like Arsene to say things like the team lacked character and to be that open about transfers. Interesting if it's accurate, though as always with le Boss, it's a case of watch what he does, not what he says...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Dick Burns wrote: »
    i still have nightmares of seeing silvestres name is the team sheet

what in gods name was he ever thinking signing that fruitcake

He still seemed to be a decent player when he left OT. His legs had gone though and I don't think Fergie couild believe his luck when Arsene came in for him. Wenger wasn't the only one though - Man City wanted him too but he preferred to go down South.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Noo

A suspiciously candid interview with Arsene from France:

http://www.ashburtongrove.co.uk/2011/05/wenger-on-fabregas-future-nasris.html

I say suspiciously as it isn't like Arsene to say things like the team lacked character and to be that open about transfers. Interesting if it's accurate, though as always with le Boss, it's a case of watch what he does, not what he says...

I question the legitimacy of this interview, it sounds completely made up...quite possibly by someone here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭G1032

Frisbee wrote: »
    Shane Long?

Shane Fúcking Long?!?

Please tell me you're joking.

Worryingly enough, I don't think that was a joke.
    I've heard it all now. Shane Long in an Arsenal shirt. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

G1032 wrote: »
    Worryingly enough, I don't think that was a joke.
    I've heard it all now. Shane Long in an Arsenal shirt. :eek:

Well the far more worrying thing is he would actually be an improvement on our current third and fourth choice strikers :(

• Advertisement

So if we take it the interview is genuine and he does want to buy English who should/will he be looking at. Cahill, Baines, Barton ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

He should have just matched what United were offering Fulham for Smalling. That guy looks like he's going to be a great player!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

I certainly think buying a few decent english players would be a great addition to the current squad.We need more bottle and fight in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Fursttimer

So our possible qualifier opponents will be from:

Dynamo Kiev
    Panathinaikos
    Twente
    Standard Liege
    OB Odense
    Timisoara
    Rubin Kazan
    Trabzonspor
    Udinese
    FC Zurich

Those three in bold would be the main ones to hope to avoid I reckon.

There's been a bit of a shake up in the above line-up mate :pac:

It was announced this afternoon that Timisoara will not be participating in the Champions League qualifying stage.

They have been relegated from the Romanian Divizia A for failing to secure a playing license for next season due to overdue debts. They had originally claimed second spot, so the previous third-placed team, FC Vaslui, will now play in the Champions League at the expense of Timisoara :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

jmayo wrote: »
    Careful now.
    Some of Shane Long's relatives may be around and been from Tipp they probably know how to use hurleys pretty well. :D

Indeed, from the same village. However I have to agree that I don't think he would be a great signing for us. Many players have scored well into the twenties a season in the Championship and have never come close to making it in the PL. It takes real world class to be a good enough for a Premier League club with ambition and going down a division and not looking at the very best is not going to solve anything for us. I do of course think he is a great player an all and will do well somewhere but not Arsenal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Yeah I saw that earlier. Mental.

re: Timisoara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Colinboy wrote: »
    I certainly think buying a few decent english players would be a great addition to the current squad.We need more bottle and fight in the team.

I'd like Baines and Parker. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Noo

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'd like Baines and Parker. :)

:)/ I second that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭sonic85

whens the transfer window opening is it midnight tonight? i really hope wenger does his business early and stops fannying about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

sonic85 wrote: »
    whens the transfer window opening is it midnight tonight? i really hope wenger does his business early and stops fannying about.
    Domestic Transfer window is open since clubs played their last games.

International window is June 9 AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭sonic85

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_6960633,00.html

Nicklas Bendtner is worth €11million (£9.6m), according to the Arsenal striker's father.
    The Denmark international has been linked with Bundesliga giants Bayern Munich amid manager Arsene Wenger's ongoing interest in Real Madrid's Karim Benzema.
    But Bendtner's father and agent, Thomas, does not believe that the forward would leave Emirates Stadium in a cut-price deal.
    Bendtner has himself never been shy in talking up his own ability and his dad believes that the player is worth a fee of just less than £10m.
    "One hundred million crowns (approx €11million)," Thomas Bendtner told Danish newspaper B.T when asked about Nicklas' valuation.
    "He has been valued higher before. But of course, if you are on the bench the price goes down.
    "Nicklas has the qualities to live up to this sum and we can certainly find a club that is willing to pay."

to be honest hes not the best striker around but id really expect us to get £15 million STG for bendtner.

http://younggunsblog.co.uk/2011/05/martinez-joins-senior-argentine-squad/

heh, youth keeper Martinez called up for Argentina seniors...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

sonic85 wrote: »
    Bendtner has himself never been shy in talking up his own ability and his dad believes that the player is worth a fee of just less than £10m.
    "One hundred million crowns (approx €11million)," Thomas Bendtner told Danish newspaper B.T when asked about Nicklas' valuation.
    Dr_Evil.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

That makes nicolas Scott? Makes sense...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭patrickc

FFS Wenger get real.

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/sport/wenger-no-overhaul-needed-2663686.html

Wenger: No overhaul needed

Wednesday June 01 2011

Arsene Wenger insists Arsenal's philosophy needs only minor tweaking for them to challenge for the Barclays Premier League title.
    The Gunners finished 12 points behind champions Manchester United following an end-of-season collapse that highlighted the psychological frailties that continue to haunt them. Wenger understands the "disappointed love" of Arsenal fans, some of whom have turned on the Frenchman, but insists the team is only five per cent away from becoming winners.
    "It's something that's easy to correct," Wenger told Arsenal TV Online. "We need to improve the size of our squad. We need a bigger variety in the height of our players."
    He added:"The criticism has been sharper this year because of the impatience of people. People are used to us being in the Champions League so we have to give them more, but we're not capable of doing that.
    "People love what we do but they want us to be rewarded so that they can be convinced we do things the right way. They want proof that we do things the right way.
    "For our fans the frustration was that we were so close to convincing everybody of how football can be great, but in the end not being able to deliver.
    "I would call it disappointed love. It was cruel and sometimes you get excessive responses to that. I share that and understand it.
    "But that doesn't mean we have to change our philosophy or the way the club is run.
    "We get it 95 per cent right, but we must gain that five per cent because it's so frustrating to flirt with success like we have done.
    "The fans are unhappy that we didn't win the Premier League, but we are close."

• Advertisement

Don't see much of a problem with that tbh. If we're sticking with Wenger, then we're sticking with his style. As long as we bring in the right people over the close season, then I'll be happy enough

http://younggunsblog.co.uk/2011/05/martinez-joins-senior-argentine-squad/

heh, youth keeper Martinez called up for Argentina seniors...

That's mad. I saw him play in Tallaght :)
    greendom wrote: »
    Don't see much of a problem with that tbh. If we're sticking with Wenger, then we're sticking with his style. As long as we bring in the right people over the close season, then I'll be happy enough

It's gonna take 2-3 players of exceptional quality and a couple more solid 'squadies' fo us to challenfge for the league IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

It's gonna take 2-3 players of exceptional quality and a couple more solid 'squadies' fo us to challenfge for the league IMO.

I doubt it will ever be that easy tbh. It's the collective mentality of the group that's the problem, both in terms of confidence and work ethic. Getting in a few new faces wont fix that, no matter how good they are.

I doubt it will ever be that easy tbh. It's the collective mentality of the group that's the problem, both in terms of confidence and work ethic. Getting in a few new faces wont fix that, no matter how good they are.

Perhaps I should have said exceptional quality and character?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

my response would still apply :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Like Shane Long?*

*Sorry : p

L'prof wrote: »
    Like Shane Long?*

*Sorry : p

He'd be one of my solid 'squadies'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Going to buy this, but does anyone know what the sizes are like, have lost a bit of weight, not sure whether to go for medium or large, anyone have this top already, just wondering if it is a classic fit or a more tighter fit.

http://arsenaldirect.arsenal.com/afc-retro/ss-6070s-crew-neck-/invt/a2889/

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1393281/Arsenal-Spurs-Man-City-target-Gonzalo-Higuain.html

I know it's the Daily Mail but damn that would be awesome if we could get him. Totally underrated. Wenger, you know what you gotta do ;)

• Advertisement

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1393281/Arsenal-Spurs-Man-City-target-Gonzalo-Higuain.html

I know it's the Daily Mail but damn that would be awesome if we could get him. Totally underrated. Wenger, you know what you gotta do ;)

Any news story which reckons we are in for the same player Man City want is just plain wrong.

Complete bullshít but IF Higuaín were available we should move heaven and earth to get him. Easily one of the best strikers in the world and only Madrid would be mental enough to sell him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Going to buy this, but does anyone know what the sizes are like, have lost a bit of weight, not sure whether to go for medium or large, anyone have this top already, just wondering if it is a classic fit or a more tighter fit.

http://arsenaldirect.arsenal.com/afc-retro/ss-6070s-crew-neck-/invt/a2889/

I have the long sleeve version in XL and its a big XL. I'm a fairly robust guy and it fits me fine.

EDIT: Front 2 of Van Persie and Higuain? *DROOL*

Hopefully this rift between Song and Cameroon/Eto'o continues until, oh say..... next March?

That'd be just swell.

What rift?

Eto'o, now there's a player I wish I could have gotten at some stage.

Re: Wenger's comments on needing an overhaul. Depends on what you define an overhaul. A couple of good players added to the squad and some of the dross replaced with young fellas and we'd be in great shape. I don't think that'd be considered an overhaul.

What rift?

Eto'o, now there's a player I wish I could have gotten at some stage.

Very similair to the Nasri/Gallas situation. Song refused to shake Eto'o's hand and then sat in his seat at dinner on Tuesday. Eto'o had a hissy fit and the Cameroon FA decided to eject Song from the squad. Before they could though he picked up an 'injury' and left of his own violation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

greendom wrote: »

I think he also needs to vary his style.
    He needs to have a plan B when the opposition sit back and usual pass through them isn't working.

There are too many players currently who go missing when they are really needed and that is just not down to technical ability.

I think that can be changed.
    If some of the non contributors are removed and some players with real strong character and experience are brought in, it could change the dynamics of the whole team.

Once again I reckon at the moment he is better off getting decent experienced players than some kid who might be the next Walcott.
    He has needed over the last few years a few players with experience and character more than players with fanstastic technical ability.
    He'd be one of my solid 'squadies'.

I know some will laugh and claim he is not of Arsenal calibre but IMHO Long might not be such a bad buy as a squad player if he was cheap enough.
    He knows what it is like to be in an outfit that has to graft for it and the guy would be hardworking non pain in the ass unlike some.
    Re: Wenger's comments on needing an overhaul. Depends on what you define an overhaul. A couple of good players added to the squad and some of the dross replaced with young fellas and we'd be in great shape. I don't think that'd be considered an overhaul.

No no no.
    No more young fellows who we are going to be told needs a year or two to get used to the PL.
    Very similair to the Nasri/Gallas situation. Song refused to shake Eto'o's hand and then sat in his seat at dinner on Tuesday. Eto'o had a hissy fit and the Cameroon FA decided to eject Song from the squad. Before they could though he picked up an 'injury' and left of his own violation.

Prima donnas ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Fursttimer

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Higuain for £15M :D:D:D:D:D

Messi must be worth only £20M so.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

Fursttimer wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Higuain for £15M :D:D:D:D:D

Messi must be worth only £20M so.

The same club that sacked Bosque after winning them the league, or selling Makelele. Anything is possible with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I doubt the Higuain story is true but if it were id take there hand of to have him at Arsenal. But I reckong hell be a starter for Madrid next year.

Also lets not forget this is the team that sold Van Der Vaart to Spurs for 8 millon last year so they do have a bit of history in letting players go on the cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I'm fairly confident that bar an outrageous bid (that we won't be making), Higuain will still be at Real next year, he's one of their prized possessions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭ClareVisitor

I think the Higuain leaving Madrid story may have legs. I doubt we'd have the cash to get him as the Chelseas and Man Citys of this world would surely be in for such a quality forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Its pretty well known that Higuain and Ronaldo do not get on and its been rumoured even last summer that Higuian will be sold because of it.

Still think City would buy a player like that which automatically rules us out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Chris Samba to sign for ye soon?

God I hope not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

God I hope not.
    Why not? He can defend balls in the air and is strong in that position. We don't need anything special at the back. People forget this. What we need to do is do the basics well.

Attack set plays, run at the ball and just get your head on it. Samba against most teams can do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i would love Samba tbh, knows the premiership very well and has a pair of balls, exactly what we need

Samba turns like a bus. He will be crucified with the high line we play. Yes he'll be great for defending corners etc, but he will weaken our defence in every other aspect of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Samba turns like a bus. He will be crucified with the high line we play. Yes he'll be great for defending corners etc, but he will weaken our defence in every other aspect of the game.
    Play someone fast beside him. We don't concede goals from playing the highline, we concede them from balls in the box. Thats what needs to be sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Change the highline. Should of changed it years ago.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Change the highline. Should of changed it years ago.

Great idea imo. Wenger won't though, which means Samba is a liability.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement