Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

HA...sorry don't believe it.

I've heard little about this, and now suddenly it's a done deal?

Many of the deals that actually happen are done quietly. You do realise that the vast majority of the stuff you hear on twitter is absolute boll*x and clubs tend to want to do their business behind closed doors, rather than informing the internet of their every move?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

HA...sorry don't believe it.

I've heard little about this, and now suddenly it's a done deal?
    How dare they not consult you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

amiable wrote: »
    How dare they not consult you
    Haha Nice one ;)

But anyway, what I mean is, we have been more strongly linked with other players than Gervinho. I'm just surprised is all. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Wonderful, another player we'll lose to the African Nations :rolleyes: :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Noo

I googled Gervinho just to get some info on him, first thing to come up was his Wiki page, the first sentence was...
    Gervais Yao Kouassi (born 27 May 1987), commonly known as Gervinho, is an Ivorian footballer who plays as a forward for English Premiership club Arsenal FC.

i must have missed that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

I'm very surprised that some people believe we'd get £20million for Nasri, a player with 12 months left on his deal who also happens to want out is not worth that much to us, why pay £20 million now when you are free to negotiate a bosman deal with him in 6 months time? I'd imagine it would be closer to the £10million mark, slightly under even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

sonic85 wrote: »
    rumour is hes looking for 120k or thereabouts. my question is what has he done to deserve that kind of money?

When you have Yaya Toure on 220k a week Nasri will feel 120k is justified.
    It happened with Ashley Cole, who was, at the time, maybe the best left back in the world.

Only this time, the player is not after money but glory.

I think its about money and he'll prove it when he signs his big contract with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

If I was him I'd wait to see what Wenger does in the transfer market.

That way he either gets his move this year, or can go on a free next year along with a nice fat signing on fee from whoever he goes too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

He hasn't put in the performances to get £120k a week but he's worth £20m when he only has a year on his contract.

Hmm, doesn't add up.

If a player wants out, kick him out. Does anyone think Cesc's heart is in the club anymore? I'll miss Nasri, but I can't think of a single player who wanted out from Arsenal, stayed and had a good season after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

When you have Yaya Toure on 220k a week Nasri will feel 120k is justified.

This is why I hate Man City and the like. They've completely fecked up worl football's wage structure.

Looking at Gervinho I can't say I'm all that excited. Sure he's got a good scoring record in Ligue 1, but that league is about as good as the Championship IMO. I've heard we spent €17millio on him. Would have preferred Shane Long to be honest. Or better yet throw in a few extra euro and get Benzema or someone of that caliber.
    This is not the kind of big signing that will convince Nasri that there is a successful future at arsenal FC.

If a player wants out, kick him out. Does anyone think Cesc's heart is in the club anymore? I'll miss Nasri, but I can't think of a single player who wanted out from Arsenal, stayed and had a good season after.

I'm thinking Vieira, but that was a rare exception IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Galvasean wrote: »
    This is why I hate Man City and the like. They've completely fecked up worl football's wage structure.

Looking at Gervinho I can't say I'm all that excited. Sure he's got a good scoring record in Ligue 1, but that league is about as good as the Championship IMO. I've heard we spent €17millio on him. Would have preferred Shane Long to be honest. Or better yet throw in a few extra euro and get Benzema or someone of that caliber.
    This is not the kind of big signing that will convince Nasri that there is a successful future at arsenal FC.

Mourinho doesn't want to sell Benzema and Benzema doesn't want to leave so not much we can do there.

If Gervinho is a replacement for Bendtner than I will be happy, he looks direct and gets into the box.

I just dont want another player that needs a season to break into the Premier League. :'(

I think (and hope) Nasri stalling over a new contract has got more to do with him wanting Wenger to make a strong statement in the transfer window than trying to bleed the club dry with ridiculous wage demands. Call me naive, but he always seemed like one of the more genuine players at the club!

I'm really not getting people wanting Shane Long. He has 5 Premier League goals to his name despite making 50 appearances and this season is the first season in which he has even reached double figures in six attempts.

He is a massive downgrade on Bendtner and would be completely pointless signing him and wasting a squad place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Nobody could blame Cesc for becoming disillusioned with life at the club after the last few seasons, particularly given the strength of Barcelona and the style of play they have which he would slot into very nicely. Still though, with 4 years left on his contract the club won't really need to sell him for another 2 years unless they get a bid which is too good to turn down- something Barcelona won't do. (Feckin cheapskates).

You're pretty much correct with your last sentence but there are one or two exceptions to that rule- the one which really sticks with me (and still haunts me!) is Mathieu Flamini- had a great final season for the club. That he wasn't offered the type of contract that he had proven himself to be worth that season hurt the club more in the long run than paying him an extra 10/20k a week would have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭ClareVisitor

jordainius wrote: »
    You're pretty much correct with your last sentence but there are one or two exceptions to that rule- the one which really sticks with me (and still haunts me!) is Mathieu Flamini- had a great final season for the club. That he wasn't offered the type of contract that he had proven himself to be worth that season hurt the club more in the long run than paying him an extra 10/20k a week would have.
    What Nasri should be taking from the Flamini example is how many players have gone on to a stellar career after leaving Arsenal. Overmars? Petit? Henry? Hleb? Anelka? Flamini? Vieira even? None of them achieved anything like the form or consistency they enjoyed at Highbury. Some of them have won trophies, but probably only Vieira at Juve and then initially at Inter established himself as a cast-iron first choice.

I have no idea why, but invariably players' careers go downhill after leraving Arsenal. Not all of those were at the end of their careers either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Agree with much, I'm not that excited about it either. However, I don't think you can say Gervinho's record in Ligue 1 isn't good enough but Long would be OK. There is a big difference between Ligue 1 and Championship.

I'm looking at it from the point that RVP/Chamakh/Gervinho is pretty good for one position in the squad which is what it currently is. Also Gervinho adds speed so it's another option whereas Benzema would be a better player but more of the same if you get my meaning.

Does he play as a winger as well? Says so in wikipedia but anyone know if he really plays there? Regardless, if Wenger's past is anything to go by, he's probably going to be a replacement for Eboue. :D

• Advertisement

Morocco look set to qualify for the African Nations too, so if we signed Gervinho, we'd be without him, Chamakh & Song in January! How ridiculous would that be???

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

L'prof wrote: »
    Morocco look set to qualify for the African Nations too, so if we signed Gervinho, we'd be without him, Chamakh & Song in January! How ridiculous would that be???

As it stands Song won't be going anywhere in January unless he apologises to Eto'o.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

L'prof wrote: »
    I think (and hope) Nasri stalling over a new contract has got more to do with him wanting Wenger to make a strong statement in the transfer window than trying to bleed the club dry with ridiculous wage demands. Call me naive, but he always seemed like one of the more genuine players at the club!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jun/06/samir-nasri-arsenal-manchester-united

I hope this is the case, and in fairness to Nasri, he seems more of a winner than some his team mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Does the salary cap still apply at Arsenal? I thought it was 80k per week? With bonus' etc I'm most salarys rise much higher, but I thought the basic wage was 80k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Look we're not buying Shane Long! :pac: :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    Does the salary cap still apply at Arsenal? I thought it was 80k per week? With bonus' etc I'm most salarys rise much higher, but I thought the basic wage was 80k.

Think Cesc is on about 100k and Van Persie renewed his contract there recently to make him joint top earner I believe, don't have a link and think I read it in The Irish Mirror so perhaps not the most reliable source ;) But that'd be the maximum salary which is less than what Nasri is allegedly looking for.

• Advertisement

afaik Cesc is on 110k or 120k a week followed by RVP and Arshavin on 90k.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Arshavin on 90k.

:eek:

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭patrickc

sick person !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jun/06/samir-nasri-arsenal-manchester-united

I hope this is the case, and in fairness to Nasri, he seems more of a winner than some his team mates.

Me too but the article is 100% supposition really.

Kind of rooting for the little french fella to really force Wenger's hand in the transfer market though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Hi lads,

Haven't any gossip or tranfers news for yas. I thought starting a thread about the emirates cup would be a bit much in the main forum. I see flights to London are cheap as chips at the moment. Me and a few "gooner" mates are thinking of heading to the tournament.

Anyone of you ever went? Is it much craic? Surprisingly none of the lads have been to the stadium yet. Worth the trip even if onlt to have a gander at the Emirates?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

Pascal Cygan has officially retired at the age of 37.

A sad day indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭sonic85

great. we need to bring in top players to improve the team and instead were being linked with an average ivorian. has all the hallmarks of being yet another underwhelming summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

2 interesting tweets from our Lesbian French player

http://twitter.com/#!/Nanas08/status/78192646845247488

And calling a fan the C word going all street on him

http://twitter.com/#!/Nanas08/status/78188395347709952

ShagNastii wrote: »
    I see flights to London are cheap as chips at the moment. Me and a few "gooner" mates are thinking of heading to the tournament.

Anyone of you ever went? Is it much craic? Surprisingly none of the lads have been to the stadium yet. Worth the trip even if onlt to have a gander at the Emirates?

I'm going this year. Been twice before and it's great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

New jersey arrived from the club today lads, complete with my complimentary towel. I'm off for a shower in the geansai to try out both.

Just saw we're no longer playing Barnet in the traditional (at this stage:P) pre-season friendly anymore :( It was always a good match to see the lads that might make the step up.

http://news.arseblog.com/index.php/2011/06/barnet-confirm-end-to-arsenal-friendly-fixture/

So, i finally signed up for twitter. What are the Arsenal players called?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I dunno but the fans and manager are @the_end_of_their_tether.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

cesc4official
    Persie_Official
    Nanas08
    aaronjramsey
    Sagnaoffical
    WEDITSJET

RealRomfordPele
    BobWilsonBWSC
    LeeDixon2

• Advertisement

I follow Cesc (cesc4official), Nasri (nanas08), RvP (Persie_Official), Wilshere (jack_wilshere) and Szczesny (53szczesny53).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Just saw we're no longer playing Barnet in the traditional (at this stage:P) pre-season friendly anymore :( It was always a good match to see the lads that might make the step up.

http://news.arseblog.com/index.php/2011/06/barnet-confirm-end-to-arsenal-friendly-fixture/

That's a shame - normally Barnet's biggest crowd of the season :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

From BBC:

Arsenal sign Charlton's 19-year-old Finland Under-21 defender Carl Jenkinson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭ClareVisitor

greendom wrote: »
    That's a shame - normally Barnet's biggest crowd of the season :(
    It is a shame, pre-season friendlies at these groundsa are generally great fun. The auction they ran at Barnet for someone to play for them against Arsenal for the last five minutes was good comedy value. I remember being at one at Borehamwood a few years ago with Lee Dixon leaning on the railing round the pitch half way though the game looking at us and pretending (I hope!!) to be knackered.

Lukker- wrote: »
    From BBC:

Not the most Finnish name you've ever see. Unless its actaully Jenkinnssonn

keano_afc wrote: »
    Not the most Finnish name you've ever see. Unless its actaully Jenkinnssonn

He was born in Harlow, which isn't very Finnish either.

Right enough of the 19yr olds Arsene.:mad:

greendom wrote: »
    He was born in Harlow, which isn't very Finnish either.

Soumi mother I see.

Lukker- wrote: »
    From BBC:

Nice one, should be exactly the kind of transfer Nasri was hoping we'd make in order to convince him to stay!

• Advertisement

Well I don't think Arsene is claiming that he will be an instant answer to our current problems.

EDIT: Though I hope its not indicative that this is announced on the same day that United get a much more experienced 19 year old who could walk right into our first team.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement