Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Fúck Nasri. He is just another player to try profiteer after having half a decent season for Arsenal. Lets hope he looks at all the players that left us hoping to carry over the success and failed. With the exception of Henry and Vieira I can't think of anyone else that kept the standard they had or improved upon it. If he doesn't want to be at the club then let him walk. I certainly wouldn't let him hold us to ransom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

arsenaleg.png

I hope this isnt a sign of the summer ahead of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

shano_88 wrote: »
    arsenaleg.png

Not bothered by Henderson but Jones would have been great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

greendom wrote: »
    Not bothered by Henderson but Jones would have been great

Im not bothered by Henderson either but Jones would have been a smashing signing.

I just hope its not a summer of us buying random 19 year olds.

Im not bothered by Henderson either but Jones would have been a smashing signing.

I just hope its not a summer of us buying random 19 year olds.

I know - see my previous post :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Just in response to the Henderson signing. I think Daglish is a great manager but if I were to value Carroll and Henderson. I'd say £15 million for both of them. maybe 20. but 55??????????

I'm surprised L'pool fans aren't going mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Just in response to the Henderson signing. I think Daglish is a great manager but if I were to value Carroll and Henderson. I'd say £15 million for both of them. maybe 20. but 55??????????

I'm surprised L'pool fans aren't going mental.

Why should we? Its not like its our money the club are spending. We're forking out for young, English players with potential rather than some bargin basement, has-been, wanna-be players from the continent that we've been signing the last number of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Gibbs has been pulled out of the Englad u21 side for the Euro's with an ankle injury.

If Clichy does go we really need to spend for his replacement, Gibbs is a crock, no way we can trust him to last even half a season.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

arsenaleg.png

Fairly depressing stuff alright.

Get the ****ing finger out Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Fairly depressing stuff alright.

Get the ****ing finger out Cheque Book out Wenger.

FYP :D I agree jones would have been a great signing but out of our price range, same can be said for Cahill. I can't see us buying too many english players considering the premium for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

iMuse wrote: »
    FYP :D I agree jones would have been a great signing but out of our price range, same can be said for Cahill.

16m is out of our price range?? I hope not. I think its loosely accepted that we have 30/50 million available for transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Frisbee wrote: »
    Gibbs has been pulled out of the Englad u21 side for the Euro's with an ankle injury.

If Clichy does go we really need to spend for his replacement, Gibbs is a crock, no way we can trust him to last even half a season.

Gibbs in an embarrassment of a footballer, he makes van Persie look indestructable. It would be an absolute disaster if he was trusted to be our no.1 left back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I think we have all said that what our squad requires is proven quality players. But you just have to look at the inflated transfer market at the moment. Henderson going for around 20 million and Phil Jones going for around 18 million. Now these players are still only potentially good which is what most of our squad already is. So how much are proven quality players that we need, going to cost?

What is our transfer record? Arshavin? And that wasnt even as much as Phil Jones cost. Im actually pessimistic now about any potential signings that we are going to sign as there clearly isnt any value in the market at the moment. If we had have spent 38 million on those two players we wouldnt really be any closer to winning the title. And that is a lot of money especially to Wenger.

Ill probably find it hard to criticise Wenger for lack of spending in this transfer window as it appears to be an impossible job. I know we need it but I just dont see where these signings that will improve us are going to come from at a reasonable fee. Our competition is just gonna outspend us as usual so we will probably have to find some rough diamonds again.

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    16m is out of our price range?? I hope not. I think its loosely accepted that we have 30/50 million available for transfers.

By the looks of the current transfer market, 30 million is only going to buy one player that will massively improve our team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Im baffled why Wenger hasnt gone out on a limb for Jones .

As much i would have loved him to sign for Liverpool , Arsenal would have been perfect for both parties .

Suppose its down to the player at the end of the day but Jones would have been ideal addition to your back four .

If given the choice of United or Arsenal a defender should never choose Arsenal imo. No matter how good they are they'll be made to look bad by the collective defensive frailties of the team.

And if you are a young CB who would you rather learn from? Rio and Vidic? Or Squillaci and Koscielny?

There's also a much better chance of actually winning something with United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

If given the choice of United or Arsenal a defender should never choose Arsenal imo. No matter how good they are they'll be made to look bad by the collective defensive frailties of the team.

And if you are a young CB who would you rather learn from? Rio and Vidic? Or Squillaci and Koscielny?

There's also a much better chance of actually winning something with United.

Suppose ..putting all bias aside your right , but he will be at least 3rd if not 4th choice CB at UTD .

If he was been advised right then for career progression Arsenal would have been top of the pile of the alternative , been able to over CL and a jersey week in week out .

Jones and Henderson are massively overpriced though, I would have been pretty annoyed if Wenger had of spent a good chunk on his budget in a bidding war for a decent player with good potential like Jones.

Van der Vaart cost Spurs £8m. And Henderson goes for £20m? Crazy altogether. Liverpool have spent £55m on him and Carroll. Its lunacy.

mixednuts wrote: »
    Suppose ..putting all bias aside your right , but he will be at least 3rd if not 4th choice CB at UTD .

If he was been advised right then for career progression Arsenal would have been top of the pile of the alternative , been able to over CL and a jersey week in week out .

He certainly would have got more games with Arsenal. But United will turn him into a better defender. Plus considering how often United have had to resort to playing a midfielder at centre back over the last two season I reckon he'll get plenty of game time.

Sure Smalling made 33 appearances for United this season, I reckon Jones will notch up 15-20 easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Can't blame the lad for going with Utd over us. Id say if ramsey had the choice to make again he would go with Utd aswell just like smalling. I cant see us making a high profile signing the way the market is atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

I know what you're saying but I think it's a bit unfair/misleading using utds 1st and 2nd choice against Arsenal's 3rd and fourth. Who would you rather learn from Squillaci and Koscielny or Smalling and Evans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

He was born in Harlow,

I was there 2 weeks ago. What a kip!!

I know what you're saying but I think it's a bit unfair/misleading using utds 1st and 2nd choice against Arsenal's 3rd and fourth. Who would you rather learn from Squillaci and Koscielny or Smalling and Evans?

True it was more to get the point across.

I'd still much rather learn from Rio and Vidic that Vermaelen and Djourou though too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

I'd still much rather learn from Rio and Vidic that Vermaelen and Djourou though too!

I agree.... unfortunately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

Spanish radio reporting Cesc talks are underway with Barca/Arsenal.

On talksport now.

joe123 wrote: »

On talksport now.

Cesc must be worth at least 70 million going on the current fees going for unproven youngsters. Cesc is world class has 4 years to go on his contract and is a proven talent. Cesc aint going anywhere as Barcelona are going to just put a few insulting offers for him. Will probably be months of speculation though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

joe123 wrote: »

On talksport now.

Thiago & £45m should be the absolute minimum that we're willing to accept, however we rarely come out on top when we lose a player!

L'prof wrote: »
    Thiago & £45m should be the absolute minimum that we're willing to accept, however we rarely come out on top when we lose a player!

I'll take Messi, Xavi and £50m.

£45M please if he just has to go.

• Advertisement

What about Affelay? D'ya think we could get him thrown into the deal :p

£45m and we can sign Andy Carroll and half of Jordan Henderson. Woo hoo.

I'm sure Arsene will tell them to **** off, again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭sonic85

not a penny less than £50 million if we cant get that then keep him even if its against his will. in all fairness if newcastle can get 35 for an average enough player like andy carroll then we must hold out for 50 - at least. time to stop being such a soft touch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I would have been sick if we spent that much of our transfer budget on someone like Phil Jones.

Our defensive personnel are fine, they're just not being organised along defensive lines and Phil Jones wouldn't change that. If Wenger feels he needs to splash the cash there then we need experience. Anyone like Phil Jones would jut get swept along in the calamity.

It saddens me to say it as an Arsenal fan but if Fergie/Ancelotti/Mancini had the same central defenders for a couple of years, they'd be fine. :(

sonic85 wrote:
    not a penny less than £50 million if we cant get that then keep him even if its against his will. in all fairness if newcastle can get 35 for an average enough player like andy carroll then we must hold out for 50 - at least. time to stop being such a soft touch

Ah yes, but this is Spain, where you can get a player like Villa for the same price as Carroll.

Personally I don't think it'll happen this year. If we had just won the league, then yeah but Arsenal are kind of staring into the abyss and they need Cesc more than they need any cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

gosplan wrote: »
    Ah yes, but this is Spain, where you can get a player like Villa for the same price as Carroll.

Villa was 28 going 29 and Barca paid €40m. At his age his net worth starts depreciating an awful lot quicker than Cesc, he probably has in the region of a third of Cesc's playing career left (at the highest level), and in terms of market value, well I can't find a valid comparison but considering Cesc is already in the top 4 shirt sellers in the Premier league I'd hazard a guess that Cesc's image rights are already worth more than Villas, or at least on a par, and because of his age can only rise further!

All in all, I'd push for in the region of £70m for Cesc, £60m would be my absolute floor for a player of his caliber with over 2 years left on his contract. I know to some that might seem ridiculous but considering his age, profile and role in the team (17 assists and 9 goals in what most considered a sub par season for his standards) we should be looking at a serious windfall. And let's not forget how much it would cost us to get a player of his calibre in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

Read a good point earlier about young English players not wanting to come to arsenal which the majority speaks French especially the defence.naturally they would be more comfortable with united or pool.jagielca said he wouldn't fit in at arsenal,I now see what he meant.too many French players.

• Advertisement

Read a good point earlier about young English players not wanting to come to arsenal which the majority speaks French especially the defence.naturally they would be more comfortable with united or pool.jagielca said he wouldn't fit in at arsenal,I now see what he meant.too many French players.

What was Chris Waddle thinking of ?

What was C
    hris Waddle thinking of ?

Ha no it wasn't Chris waddle I read it from.could be way off but that's smalling and Jones we lost out on to united.suppose it could come down to wanting to learn from Vidic and Ferdinand and not kosielny and djourou...

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

Apparently Wenger met with Jones last night but as you know he opted for United. That's according to Young Guns.

http://younggunsblog.co.uk/2011/06/wenger-did-all-he-could-to-sign-jones/

Disappointing but what can you do.

Apparently Wenger met with Jones last night but as you know he opted for United. That's according to Young Guns.

fair play to him. if i was in his shoes id have opted for united aswell. until wenger sees sense and starts trying to sort us out properly no decent players are gonna want to play for us. well get average joes and total unknowns

It's not defenders we need its a good defensive coach who will organise the defence properly.I'm glad we didn't get Jones as he would just become part of our shambles of a defence,buying more defenders won't matter one bit unless they are coached the way defenders need to be.

• Advertisement

For Smalling and Jones it made sense to choose United.

For Rambo it made sense to choose us.

You win some you lose some.

For Smalling and Jones it made sense to choose United.

For Rambo it made sense to choose us.

You win some you lose some.

Why did it make sense for these players?

Why did it make sense for these players?

As I've outlined above already...

For a young CB it's great to learn from the best in the business (Rio+Vidic) in a team that is solid defensively and can ease you in.

For a young CM it's great to learn from the best in the business (Fabregas) in a team where you get chances to play and won't be picked on for making mistakes really as Wenger will protect you like a Mother Hen.

some players want to work hard and earn their spot. others just want to walk into a starting 11. young players know theyll get chance after chance at arsenal and theyll be allowed make mistakes in their development.

at united that wont happen. theyll have to work their bollocks off and battle with established regulars to get into the first team and if they manage it mistakes wont be tolerated. at united youngsters can learn from top pros and theres the huge incentive of trophies.

id love to ask ramsey straight up if he had the choice again where would he go. the answer would be interesting

It's not defenders we need its a good defensive coach who will organise the defence properly.I'm glad we didn't get Jones as he would just become part of our shambles of a defence,buying more defenders won't matter one bit unless they are coached the way defenders need to be.
    Exactly, like these players just do not know how to defend corners - get a defensive coach in and teach them instead of buying Carl-fricking-Jenkinson :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

I agree with what you said, but Wenger has known for years with the situation in the defence, he hasn't brought anyone in to coach them defensively and sadly I can't see that changing anytime soon. I'd love to be wrong though. Big time.

Holy crap, look at what that absolute CÚNT Lugano attempted to do to Robin:

Apparently by some fluke he's ok. Lugano wasn't even booked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

thats ****in ridiculous, you dont make a challenge like that by accident

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Cesc must be worth at least 70 million going on the current fees going for unproven youngsters. Cesc is world class has 4 years to go on his contract and is a proven talent. Cesc aint going anywhere as Barcelona are going to just put a few insulting offers for him. Will probably be months of speculation though.

And £ Sterling at that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

sonic85 wrote: »
    some players want to work hard and earn their spot. others just want to walk into a starting 11. young players know theyll get chance after chance at arsenal and theyll be allowed make mistakes in their development.

at united that wont happen. theyll have to work their bollocks off and battle with established regulars to get into the first team and if they manage it mistakes wont be tolerated. at united youngsters can learn from top pros and theres the huge incentive of trophies.

id love to ask ramsey straight up if he had the choice again where would he go. the answer would be interesting

Michael Carrick? Sorry I don't buy the fact that United have a super star squad where only established pros are allowed.. The truth is, Ramsey would easily have a spot in United's midfield if he had have joined them. However, on seeing his reaction to scoring against the Mancs, I dont think he regrets his decision :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement