Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Sútalún wrote: »
    Michael Carrick? Sorry I don't buy the fact that United have a super star squad where only established pros are allowed..

I think one of United's strengths is that they have a loevly bend of experienced pro's like Rio, Vidic, Evra, carrick, Giggs to go wth all the Young talent coming through. Fergie has the option of bringing guys in and out of the team.
    The truth is, Ramsey would easily have a spot in United's midfield if he had have joined them. However, on seeing his reaction to scoring against the Mancs, I dont think he regrets his decision :)

The only weakness in the squad is in the middle of the park, we are well set in every other position IMO, doubly so after today. Whether Ramsey regrets it isn't really important, I think he'll get lots of games next season, especially if/when Cesc finally moves on in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Villa was 28 going 29 and Barca paid €40m. At his age his net worth starts depreciating an awful lot quicker than Cesc, he probably has in the region of a third of Cesc's playing career left (at the highest level), and in terms of market value, well I can't find a valid comparison but considering Cesc is already in the top 4 shirt sellers in the Premier league I'd hazard a guess that Cesc's image rights are already worth more than Villas, or at least on a par, and because of his age can only rise further!

All in all, I'd push for in the region of £70m for Cesc, £60m would be my absolute floor for a player of his caliber with over 2 years left on his contract. I know to some that might seem ridiculous but considering his age, profile and role in the team (17 assists and 9 goals in what most considered a sub par season for his standards) we should be looking at a serious windfall. And let's not forget how much it would cost us to get a player of his calibre in...

Definitely when a 28 year old Kaka went for £56 million a barely 24 year old young Xavi (Fabregas) should be the most wanted player in the world after Messi and Ronaldo.

Its only the fact he will only go to one team that kills his price.

Imagine what City would pay if he would agree to go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ha no it wasn't Chris waddle I read it from.could be way off but that's smalling and Jones we lost out on to united.suppose it could come down to wanting to learn from Vidic and Ferdinand and not kosielny and djourou...

Ah no sorry, I meant what was Waddle thinking of going to play with all those French players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Michael Carrick? Sorry I don't buy the fact that United have a super star squad where only established pros are allowed.. The truth is, Ramsey would easily have a spot in United's midfield if he had have joined them. However, on seeing his reaction to scoring against the Mancs, I dont think he regrets his decision :)

I think what Sonic85 said applies to United's defence. You won't get a starting place there easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

keano_afc wrote: »
    Jones and Henderson are massively overpriced though, I would have been pretty annoyed if Wenger had of spent a good chunk on his budget in a bidding war for a decent player with good potential like Jones.

Van der Vaart cost Spurs £8m. And Henderson goes for £20m? Crazy altogether. Liverpool have spent £55m on him and Carroll. Its lunacy.

Don't you know it's because they are English. :D
    Van dea Vaart was a steal.
    Cesc must be worth at least 70 million going on the current fees going for unproven youngsters. Cesc is world class has 4 years to go on his contract and is a proven talent. Cesc aint going anywhere as Barcelona are going to just put a few insulting offers for him. Will probably be months of speculation though.

But do Barca need him right now ?
    If he goes will he take a place from Zavi or Iniesta ?
    Xavi is 31 whereas Iniesta is 27.
    They may need him in a couple of years, but then they might have another young kid who could be filling Xavi's shoes.

Also everyone knows Fabregas wants to go there and not Real or some other rich club.
    That immediately drops the price.
    gosplan wrote: »
    I would have been sick if we spent that much of our transfer budget on someone like Phil Jones.

Our defensive personnel are fine,

A few people would beg to differ.
    I think some of them are apt to lose concentration at critical times.
    they're just not being organised along defensive lines and Phil Jones wouldn't change that. If Wenger feels he needs to splash the cash there then we need experience.

Exactly my point.
    The Arsenal defense needs old heads who dig in and show leadership first and foremost.

Hell didn't some player complain about the amount of shouting Lehman was doing and saying he was like a coach on the pitch.
    They damm well need someone to be blaring in their ears all day.
    Even better would be someone like Bruce Grobbelaar who would nearly be beating the sh**e out of them for their f**kups.
    It saddens me to say it as an Arsenal fan but if Fergie/Ancelotti/Mancini had the same central defenders for a couple of years, they'd be fine. :(

I just don't know.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Seems like Arsenal made a late bid to sign Brad Friedel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

amiable wrote: »
    Seems like Arsenal made a late bid to sign Brad Friedel
    Thats one transger I'm glad we missed out on. His arrival at the club would've seriously hampered Szczesny's progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Michael Carrick? Sorry I don't buy the fact that United have a super star squad where only established pros are allowed.. The truth is, Ramsey would easily have a spot in United's midfield if he had have joined them. However, on seeing his reaction to scoring against the Mancs, I dont think he regrets his decision :)
    Yes, but due to the fact that United have god-awful centre midfielders :pac:

EDIT: In response to^^ what Quazzie said; that sounded like a direct quote from Arsene himself :P

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

flahavaj wrote: »
    I think one of United's strengths is that they have a loevly bend of experienced pro's like Rio, Vidic, Evra, carrick, Giggs to go wth all the Young talent coming through. Fergie has the option of bringing guys in and out of the team.

I agree.. But experience doesn't equal quality. I mean Carrick, despite his obvious experience, isn't a quality player. In defense Evans, O'Shea aren't up to United standard.

I think Arsenal fans know we need experience to blend with out youth but experience doesn't guarantee quality. And, as we've seen with Wilshire quality certainly doesn't require experience.

• Advertisement

This was on arseblog news recently. Everyone here probably reads it anyway but I'd highly recommend it.
    Liam Brady wrote:
    We all rate Nasri. I think they have had pretty extensive contractual talks but they haven’t got to the conclusion yet. Sometimes it takes time, we all know that. There has been plenty of players in that position, but I’d be still optimistic that Samir is playing with us next year.

I do think there will be a lot of business done this year and we’ll be spending a bit more money than we’ve spent in past seasons. Arsenal will spend this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Arseblog reporting were after opening talks with Lille for Hazard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Holy crap, look at what that absolute CÚNT Lugano attempted to do to Robin:

Apparently by some fluke he's ok. Lugano wasn't even booked.

Holy crap! He should get a retrospective ban for that. I'm amazed van Persie did not split in half! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Arseblog reporting were after opening talks with Lille for Hazard

Any link? I think he was in most peoples list of players they would like to see signed.

arseblognewsarseblognews

New: : Exclusive: Arsenal make contact with Lille for Hazard http://bit.ly/mwoLxh #arsenal, #afc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Maybe Hazard is that 'record signing' wev'e been hearing about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Wouldn't get my hopes up, look how long it took us to initially sign nasri and don't get me started on the baptista saga when he eventually opted for madrid(thank god). We'll probably beat around the bush for a month or 2 and someone will nip in. Looks like nasri is off then.

Looks like nasri is off then.

Ill get sick if he goes to United...:(

I reckon Nasri, Cesc, and Clichy will be off this summer
    And add all the deadwood to that and thats alot of changes in one summer
    Regardless of who we sign its gonna take time for all this players to bed in might be a slow start to the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I reckon Nasri, Cesc, and Clichy will be off this summer
    And add all the deadwood to that and thats alot of changes in one summer
    Regardless of who we sign its gonna take time for all this players to bed in might be a slow start to the season.

I dont think any of them will go this year think well see another summer of cesc being linked with barca but not going anywhere, no point him going to barca realistically he wont get his game there, for at least another two years or so when xavi starts to fade.

Dont think nasri will go either think nasri wants to be convinced by one or two quality signing of Arsenals ambition so hes playing hard ball with them.

As for Clichy I think he omes in for a lot of stick he doesnt deserve he many not be the best but hes not the worst either, plus he hasnt been linked with any clubs yet, and even if wenger does sign a new left back which i doubt he will well need a decent cover as in clichy, because I certainly dont want to be relying on gibbs, or unless armand traore made huge leaps forward a juve which im doubting since I belive he didnt play to many games.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

I read somewhere, think it was l'equipe, that nasri said he would leave if cesc stayed another year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Hhmm maybe it was over the time Nasri got on the bus and cesc was sitting in his seat.

unless armand traore made huge leaps forward a juve which im doubting since I belive he didnt play to many games.

No he didnt, played very little by I dont think he overly impressed anyone when he did play, think he will be coming back to Arsenal.

Surprised no one has mentioned all the spanish newspapers being a tad biased:
    "Wenger has given up hope, come back Cesc!"

Not a direct quote obviously but there have been a LOT of spanish reports saying Arsenal have finally given up trying to hold onto him. Utter balderdash, I think.

RE: Above (emergingstar)
    All in all, despite clichy, cesc and nasri(not really nasri) having a poor enough season. Just imagine our team without them for 60 games a season. We would be struggling for a Europa league spot. And I know, obviously we'll bring players back in but with every player you bring in -- despite quality, skill etc. -- there is ALWAYS the risk of the player not setlling in at the club. Remember Reyes? What was that? 12.5 mil a couple of years ago? And he had a frankly terrible spell here. It could well be the same for Hazard, Parker, Gervihno, Benzema or whoever!

Please, please Mr. Wenger, don't let them go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

Anyone interested in buying the New Arsenal jersey? Just won it from Elverys in a random draw competition and looking to sell it on.

ynwa_17 wrote: »
    Anyone interested in buying the New Arsenal jersey? Just won it from Elverys in a random draw competition and looking to sell it on.
    Size? Price? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

Size? Price? :D

She's asked for a size. I havent told her yet. How much is it on retail at? 45-50 is what I can find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭sonic85

im sorry i never said united have a super star squad as you put it. my point was uniteds youngsters have to earn the right to play. ramsey would get into uniteds midfield now but not before he was sent out on loan a couple of times. is there anybody in uniteds current squad under 20? the way a player celebrates a goal means jack sh!t. how many times have players kissed badges and that sort of crap and then left shortly after.

carrick may not be fantastic but hes a good pro. plus hes won more trophies and has more medals in his back pocket than our entire squad.

if i had a choice between learning from the likes of vidic giggs scholes park etc or diaby rosicky nasri id choose the former.

sh!ts getting serious now.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6976928,00.html

Skysports.com understands Manchester United have stepped up their interest in Arsenal midfielder Samir Nasri.

Speculation has intimated Nasri is on United's radar and skysports.com has now learnt he is the club's top target.

The talented French schemer's reluctance to engage in contract talks with Arsenal until he is satisfied their transfer targets are of the required standard to mount a title push next season has alerted Sir Alex Ferguson to his possible availability.

Despite being close to wrapping up a deal for Blackburn defender Phil Jones and Atletico Madrid goalkeeper David de Gea, amid widespread speculation Aston Villa's Ashley Young is also heading for Old Trafford, Ferguson's appetite for new signings has yet to be sated.

Nasri is seen as an ideal replacement for the retired Paul Scholes, with the centre of the field an area United's management are keen to revamp with fresh talent.

Inter Milan's Wesley Sneijder has been linked but Nasri, with just a season left on his existing deal, could be a more realistic deal to finance.

Arsene Wenger would be loath to lose one of key men, especially given Nasri's exit would likely lead to other members of his squad questioning their own futures.

However, United are now ready to test Arsenal's resolve to keep a player who has previously intimated he would be open to the prospect of moving to Manchester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

sonic85 wrote: »

Non story there really, hopefully his head won't be turned though!

L'prof wrote: »
    Non story there really, hopefully his head won't be turned though!

if its true hes uniteds top target thats a major worry

• Advertisement

I get the feeling we may lose either Fabregas or Nasri. Hope to God its not the both of them

greendom wrote: »
    I get the feeling we may lose either Fabregas or Nasri. Hope to God its not the both of them

i wont lose any sleep over nasri if im honest but id hate to see fab go.

i wont lose any sleep over nasri if im honest but id hate to see fab go.

I think Nasri played his best football last season when Fab wasn't around and then seemed to go into his shell a bit. The loss of Fab would be hard to take but softened somewhat if Nasri got back to his best.

greendom wrote: »
    I think Nasri played his best football last season when Fab wasn't around and then seemed to go into his shell a bit. The loss of Fab would be hard to take but softened somewhat if Nasri got back to his best.

nasri isnt a patch on cesc but i know what youre saying. cescs season two years ago where he got nearly 20 goals and 20 assists was brilliant. if he could get back to that level or close to it wed be right

Load of rubbish IMO.

If Arsenal had to sell him, they'd have no problem finding a buyer. They can easily say to Nasri - 'either stay at Arsenal or leave the country because you're not going to our direct rivals'.

Have gone gooey at thought of Hazard coming. Him plus an experienced DMF and I'd be happy with the summer signings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

nasris agent announcing news at 9 tonight.

reckon its to say he has signed the extension.

ikmagine we lost nasri and cesc,our midfield would be left with walcott song and wilshire from the midfield last season:eek:

Load of rubbish IMO.

If Arsenal had to sell him, they'd have no problem finding a buyer. They can easily say to Nasri - 'either stay at Arsenal or leave the country because you're not going to our direct rivals'.

Have gone gooey at thought of Hazard coming. Him plus an experienced DMF and I'd be happy with the summer signings.

sure if he did a cesc and said i want to go to united what could we do to stop him? the balls in his half of the court - if worst comes to the worst he can stay next season without signing a new contract then hell be gone on a free which is the worst possible thing that could happen. at least if he leaves now even if it is to united well get something for him.

whats so good about hazard? ive never seen him play but most people seem to think hes the best thing since sliced bread. would a 20 year old (unproven) attacking midfielder really improve us that much?

ive read reports that suggest his attitude is far from perfect

nasris agent announcing news at 9 tonight.

reckon its to say he has signed the extension.

ikmagine we lost nasri and cesc,our midfield would be left with walcott song and wilshire from the midfield last season:eek:

where did you hear that? let us know what happens will you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

Isn't Hazard basically just Nasri from 3 yrs ago?
    Nasri came to us as the highest profile young player in France (along with Benz) and has pretty much taken 3 yrs to become a really top player for us which is fine,3 yrs is worth the wait for any top player i suppose.
    But how do we know Hazard wont be publicly courting a move to Man United in 3yrs time or whoring himself to clubs across Europe in order to bleed us dry for his new contract?
    Hazard would be a step in the same direction imo and i'd bet we'll only move for him if Nasri leaves,leaving us in the same position as when Nasri signed in 2008 and another season spent moving sideways.

• Advertisement

Nasri came to us as the highest profile young player in France (along with Benz) and has pretty much taken 3 yrs to become a really top player for us which is fine,3 yrs is worth the wait for any top player i suppose.
    But how do we know Hazard wont be publicly courting a move to Man United in 3yrs time or whoring himself to clubs across Europe in order to bleed us dry for his new contract?
    Hazard would be a step in the same direction imo and i'd bet we'll only move for him if Nasri leaves,leaving us in the same position as when Nasri signed in 2008 and another season spent moving sideways.

agree with this. i will say though - nasri still isnt a really top player. he just isnt consistent enough. hes good but not great

where did you hear that? let us know what happens will you

just read it on a few arsenal forums saying his agent said it on twitter,ill be keeping my eyes on this one,we just cant be seen to be selling players to our rivals,such a bad sign to give to the fans players opposition etc.

rumours nasri was excused from the french team earlier,anyone know if this is true?

ughhh why am i listening to these rumours.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Personally I think Nasri's drop in output was more to do with Walcott returning to the team, not Cesc.

I wouldn't want Hazard replacing Nasri, rather I'd want him as an addition, but I'd say Hazard is more advanced than Nasri was when we signed him.

Hazard isn't just the best young player in France; he's the best player in France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

That is kind of the problem. If we get Hazard, we need to keep Nasri and Fabregas and build the squad. Unless we sell Nasri and really go out and get in a world class player and spend some big money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Uh oh... The Times' Merseyside-based journalist Tony Barrett (he broke the Torres to Chelsea story) is reporting that Liverpool have made a £5m bid for Clichy. What a rotten start to the summer so far, eh? Link is behind their paywall

http://thetim.es/iJYza7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

YES!

Clichy is USELESS.

http://twitter.com/#!/A__Migliaccio

hmm dunno if real but supposed to be the agent of ribery, gourcuff, jeremy menez etc

EDIT has to be fake,my apologies!

http://twitter.com/#!/A__Migliaccio

hmm dunno if real but supposed to be the agent of ribery, gourcuff, jeremy menez etc
    A twitter user who registered an hour ago and has an absolutely awful website.

Looks cast-iron legit to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

http://www.click-manchester.com/sport/manchester-united/1213186-agent-claims-arsenal-ace-samir-nasri-bound-for-manchester-united.html

Its so easy to read bull shiit on the net.
    Sometimes i hate the internet.
    Ill believe it when i see it on ceefax......!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement