Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

A twitter user who registered an hour ago and has an absolutely awful website.

Looks cast-iron legit to me.

That is Nasris agent though isnt it?
    Not saying the twitter account is real, as it presumably isnt, but I think migliaccio is Nasris agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

KeithAFC wrote: »
    That is kind of the problem. If we get Hazard, we need to keep Nasri and Fabregas and build the squad. Unless we sell Nasri and really go out and get in a world class player and spend some big money.

What if Fabregas were to leave and we signed Hazard. Hypothetically would we have Hazard on the left and Nasri in Cescs role?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Maybe, you never know what or if wenger is thinking about these things though do you.

I know Nasri is more comfortable in the more central role.
    Blergh, speculation is driving me mad.
    Wake me when te dust settles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

OptaJoe

111 - Gael Clichy made more tackles than any other full back in the 2010-11 Premier League. Combative.

:eek:

Hmm, if we were to sell Fabregas to Barce, would Bojan be a good makeweight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

According to spanish news today fabregas is on his way back to Barca in the summer for around 45million.
    Any truth in this latest rumour????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

According to spanish news today fabregas is on his way back to Barca in the summer for around 45million.
    Any truth in this latest rumour????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Galvasean wrote: »
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Small, lightweight, scores less than Bentdner...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

The Barca fans on here seem to rate him quite highly, but I can'y say I've ever been overly impressed by him!

Edit: He's still only 20 though, never realised that!!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

Inconsistent as he's been and last year of his contract or not,5mil is still not enough for a full back of clichy's experience.

L'prof wrote: »
    The Barca fans on here seem to rate him quite highly, but I can'y say I've ever been overly impressed by him!

Edit: He's still only 20 though, never realised that!!! :eek:

I was thinking he looked a great prospect two years ago when he first arrived on the scene. Haven't seen him a whole lot this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Big issue being made of diaby owning a spurs shirt he received from Kaboul(I'd imagine he got it after a Derby where they switched shirts. I'd say most arsenal/spurs players have at least one though from swapping jerseys after games.)

Arsenal.com are claiming the new jersey is the most succesful launch yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Rojiblancos

Big issue being made of diaby owning a spurs shirt he received from Kaboul(I'd imagine he got it after a Derby where they switched shirts. I'd say most arsenal/spurs players have at least one though from swapping jerseys after games.)

Apparently Diaby said he wears it around his house though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Arsenal.com are claiming the new jersey is the most succesful launch yet.

I wont be buying it until the club starts to splash the cash, It does look fab though. Saying that, I was very tempted to buy last seasons jersey for €25 last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

If Nasri goes to United i'll rage kill someone, as for Clichy to Liverpool I presume thats a bad joke, he'd be stupid to go and we'd be stupid to let him go.

IMO it's also crucial that we beat United to Chamberlain otherwise it clearly shows we are a level below them after Jones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

KeithAFC wrote: »
    YES!

Clichy is USELESS.

Who would you replace him with then?

It's vital we hold onto Clichy. Yes he has bad performances but he gets scapegoated far too much even if he has a good game. There is not one left back out there right now that we could buy who is as good as/better than Clichy.

Also 5M is a joke. Considering Liverpool don't seem to understand how money works after the Carroll/Henderson transfers we need to take them to the cleaners for a minimum of 10M+ if Clichy is going to them. But I'd rather sell him to Inter for 3M than Pool for 5M is he is insistent on going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Frisbee wrote: »
    Who would you replace him with then?

It's vital we hold onto Clichy. Yes he has bad performances but he gets scapegoated far too much even if he has a good game. There is not one left back out there right now that we could buy who is as good as/better than Clichy.

Also 5M is a joke. Considering Liverpool don't seem to understand how money works after the Carroll/Henderson transfers we need to take them to the cleaners for a minimum of 10M+ if Clichy is going to them. But I'd rather sell him to Inter for 3M than Pool for 5M is he is insistent on going.

Makes sense.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Makes sense.

It does.

Liverpool have overpaid hilariously badly for two mediocre players. If they want our mediocre/decent player they should also overpay. Hilariously.

However the money is only an issue if he's going to a domestic rival club. I'd rather sell him to someone we won't be playing every season for less.

It's very simple really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Dunno 5m's a decent enough deal when you consider how he's been the past 2 seasons, never really recovered from that clanger at st andrews. That being said with a decent defense beside he could he good, not the best player in the world to be left open. Still sad if he goes, especially since gibbs is made out of tuc crackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Dunno 5m's a decent enough deal when you consider how he's been the past 2 seasons, never really recovered from that clanger at st andrews. That being said with a decent defense beside he could he good, not the best player in the world to be left open. Still sad if he goes, especially since gibbs is made out of tuc crackers.

Ive been one of Clichys biggest critics over the last few seasons and think he has detioriated as a player considerably but, if that five million pound offer is true its an insult. Clichy is still only 25 or 26 and can have his good days. Considering how much Liverpool have spent recently on unproven talent then they are having a laugh with that offer and should be told to take a hike.

Who do we replace him with?

Frisbee wrote: »
    It does.

Liverpool have overpaid hilariously badly for two mediocre players. If they want our mediocre/decent player they should also overpay. Hilariously.

However the money is only an issue if he's going to a domestic rival club. I'd rather sell him to someone we won't be playing every season for less.

It's very simple really.

£16m isn't really a very big transfer fee at the top nowadays, especially within England.
    Carroll's price was linked to Torres' price. Considering the age difference, I think the price was okay.

I've never really bought into this selling to a domestic club thing, if Liverpool don't buy Clichy, they will buy someone else, probably of similar quality. If you had two offers on the table - one for £5m and one for £3m, taking the £3m would make you a big silly billy, hilariously.

• Advertisement

I've never really bought into this selling to a domestic club thing, if Liverpool don't buy Clichy, they will buy someone else, probably of similar quality. If you had two offers on the table - one for £5m and one for £3m, taking the £3m would make you a big silly billy, hilariously.

For the sake of 2M it's:

Better not to be seen selling to a rival club.
    Seeing your players want to move to a rival club as it sends a bad message to the rest of the squad.
    Selling to a club were you'll have to play against him every season.

Also I don't think Pool will get in someone of similair quality, as there is very few left backs of Clichys level that are available atm. And if we did sell him, we'd just have to go get them, pay more than 5M and then bed them in.

I'd take the extra £2,000,000. It will pay the wages of the new guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

New guy?? What new guy!! I find it hard to believe that Wenger will be spending 17million on Cahaill or even 10mil on Samba.

I hope Clichy doesnt go either. For all his mistakes he is still decent and I dont trust Gibbs to stay fit at all.

If Gibbs was first choice who is his backup?

For a year maybe. I get where you are coming from I'd just much rather see him go abroad. Seeing Kolo and Ade line up for City on the first day two seasons ago was painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

United and Liverpool splashing the cash but where are Arsenal? Question in the Irish independent today?

Where are we? Getting ready to lose our best players and not replace them. I'm sick of it. There is a rot inside the club that's taking hold. I have zero optimism about winning anything next season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

sonic85 wrote: »
    sure if he did a cesc and said i want to go to united what could we do to stop him? the balls in his half of the court

Not being smart but we could just say no.

United are reportedly offering 10 million for Nasri. If Arsenal transfer listed him, you'd easily find 5 clubs willing to match that.

The Cesc thing is different. He's worth 35+ million and not too many clubs would pay that. Plus he is strongly linked to Barca who aren't a direct rival despite us being drawn against them in the CL all the time.

The balls in his half of the court in that he could sign a new contract, or he could let his current contract run down, or he could move. I don't think his position is that strong that he could demand to move to one club and one club only - particularly when that club is Man U.

I think it would be better for Arsenal as a whole to have Nasri playing on the last year of his contract trying his best to impress and get himself as big a wage as possible instead of taking 10 million now and have him playing for United next year.

United know they have to fill that creative CM gap this summer. We can't let them do it on the cheap with our player of the year. As a club we simply can't do it.

gebbel wrote: »
    United and Liverpool splashing the cash but where are Arsenal? Question in the Irish independent today?

Where are we? Getting ready to lose our best players and not replace them. I'm sick of it. There is a rot inside the club that's taking hold. I have zero optimism about winning anything next season.

It's only the first week of the transfer season...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

gebbel wrote: »

City and Chelsea havent as yet splashed the cash either so its still early days in that sense. I really dont think we will be losing our best players. We may possibly lose Nasri but it wont be to Man Utd. Im certain Fabregas will be staying. Im probably the most pessimistic now than I have been in quite some while in regards winning the League next season but I dont think we are in as bad a shape as what it appears to be.

We obviously could do with some big signings but we will need to get the current players playing to their potential at the start of the season. We still have a talented side albeit mentally fragile. Cant say though that I was envious of Liverpool splashing out on Carroll and Henderson or Man Utd on Phil Jones tbh. We need better and proven talent coming in for that kind of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I think 5 million for clichy is about right, had 2 average seasons and is heading into the last year of his contract. Remeber he broke off from talks in april so he is def off.
    Now if we can get the same from abroad i would sell him there but if not take the 5 mill from liverpool and move on.
    Maybe go for the left back for celtic not sure nis name though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

I would absolutely hate to see any of Arsenal's better players (and Clichy is one of those) lining up for a premier league rival. I think it is in Clichy's best interests to leave Arsenal though as he's become a favourite scapegoat at Arsenal. The fresh start would do him good and I think people will regret losing him once they see how good he is somewhere else.

As for Nasri going to Utd, I would actually find that harder to take than 5 trophyless seasons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

gosplan wrote: »
    Not being smart but we could just say no.

United are reportedly offering 10 million for Nasri. If Arsenal transfer listed him, you'd easily find 5 clubs willing to match that.

The Cesc thing is different. He's worth 35+ million and not too many clubs would pay that. Plus he is strongly linked to Barca who aren't a direct rival despite us being drawn against them in the CL all the time.

That is it, how many other clubs can afford 35+million ?
    You could never see him going to Real.
    How strong are the Italians at the moment in terms of finance ?
    Would he go to Chelsea, Man Utd or Man City ?
    So it looks like the only game in town is Barca which immediately gives them a strong bargaining position.
    gosplan wrote: »
    United know they have to fill that creative CM gap this summer. We can't let them do it on the cheap with our player of the year. As a club we simply can't do it.

If Wenger lets Nasri go to united and to add insult to injury lets Clichy for all his failings over last seasons go to Liverpool, I think he will be nailing his own coffin.
    It might be smart business to get rid of players that are nearing end of contract and not interested in staying, but selling them to your nearest competitors is not good.
    I would absolutely hate to see any of Arsenal's better players (and Clichy is one of those) lining up for a premier league rival. I think it is in Clichy's best interests to leave Arsenal though as he's become a favourite scapegoat at Arsenal. The fresh start would do him good and I think people will regret losing him once they see how good he is somewhere else.

As for Nasri going to Utd, I would actually find that harder to take than 5 trophyless seasons!

It would openly stating Arsenal are a tier below their rivals.
    It would send out the wrong message to everyone.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

jmayo wrote: »
    If Wenger lets Nasri go to united and to add insult to injury lets Clichy for all his failings over last seasons go to Liverpool, I think he will be nailing his own coffin.

I think he nailed his own coffin last summer. That was the time to spend money, a couple of decent players last summer and Arsenal probably would have won the league. Instead he's waited a year (probably more to be honest) too late and now a good few first team players are upping and leaving and he's going to have to spend big to replace them, just like 07/08. It's been really poor management imo. There's no point in waiting til your best players leave to spend some cash.

If Wenger lets both Nasri and Clichy go to domestic rivals he won't last till the end of next season imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Tony-Adams-interview-Sorry-Arsene-but-George-Graham-was-a-much-better-coach-than-you-article746017.html

Intresting article on why Adams thinks Graham was a much better defensive coach than Wenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

If, Clichy does go to Liverpool, Arsenal should put in a sell on fee. 5 Million is too low for him and who's to say Liverpool won't sell him on for a higher fee next year? Could this be part of their plan to make money, buy cheap and sell on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If, Clichy does go to Liverpool, Arsenal should put in a sell on fee. 5 Million is too low for him and who's to say Liverpool won't sell him on for a higher fee next year? Could this be part of their plan to make money, buy cheap and sell on?

Well considering they have paid £55 million for Henderson and Carroll I don't think they are going about it the right way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Will the last Arsenal player please turn off the lights :rolleyes:

Apart from losing the skills of the likes of Nasri & Clichy, it sends out such a bad message to the rest of the premiership.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Im really of the impression if players dont want to be at arsenal they can leave, we will just replace and move on lets get some players who wants to play for arsenal and play with a bit of heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

5 million for Clichy a want away player who can leave on a free next year.

What are you expecting lads ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

About £8 million

Only having one year on a deal isn't the be all and end all. Yes Clichy can afford to go where he wants, but if he sits it out a year there's no guarantee Liverpool will be the club he chooses to sign for. If they want him now they can pay a bit extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭djan

I really dont get the hate on Clichy. Sure he isn't perfect but how many times a game do you see him saving the defences bacon as due to his amazing speed he is able to get to the ball if a long ball is knocked pas the CB. People dont realise how much of the work he does in the defence. I think the stat that he made the most tackles in the league says it all. We cannot afford to let him go !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

djan wrote: »
    I really dont get the hate on Clichy. Sure he isn't perfect but how many times a game do you see him saving the defences bacon as due to his amazing speed he is able to get to the ball if a long ball is knocked pas the CB. People dont realise how much of the work he does in the defence. I think the stat that he made the most tackles in the league says it all. We cannot afford to let him go !

To be honest I think he is usually making up for errors of his own making. Prone to errors these days and times when he justs switches off, coupled with the fact that he contributes nothing going forward, despite his good pace.

He is worse than Ashley Cole & Evra..even the like of Baines & Aurelio.

I just dont think he is good enough for Arsenal really, think thats where the hate comes from. A good option as cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

If Liverpool get Clichy, I can see Arsenal putting a bid in for Enrique tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

That_Guy wrote: »
    If Liverpool get Clichy, I can see Arsenal putting a bid in for Enrique tbh.

I think the Clichy talk may well be Liverpool forcing Newcastle's hand a little bit over Enrique. They are demanding a lot of money.

As for Clichy, he was a phenomenal player a couple of years ago, is it just Arsenals problems at the back that has his form sliding? i.e. a better organiser in central defence might get him back in form?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I think the Clichy talk may well be Liverpool forcing Newcastle's hand a little bit over Enrique. They are demanding a lot of money.

As for Clichy, he was a phenomenal player a couple of years ago, is it just Arsenals problems at the back that has his form sliding? i.e. a better organiser in central defence might get him back in form?

I don't know why we're forcing their hand to be honest. He can leave on a free next season.

I'd rather see him go to Arsenal than Liverpool to be honest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement