Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

Barcelona have offered 30m euros plus striker Bojan Krkic and midfielder Thiago Alcantara to Arsenal in exchange for skipper Cesc Fabregas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I think the Clichy talk may well be Liverpool forcing Newcastle's hand a little bit over Enrique. They are demanding a lot of money.

As for Clichy, he was a phenomenal player a couple of years ago, is it just Arsenals problems at the back that has his form sliding? i.e. a better organiser in central defence might get him back in form?
    I think Clichy's people leaked it to see who's interested abroad.

Could see him ending up at Inter or Juve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

That_Guy wrote: »
    I don't know why we're forcing their hand to be honest. He can leave on a free next season.

I'd rather see him go to Arsenal than Liverpool to be honest.

I think Enrique has 2 years left on his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Barcelona have offered 30m euros plus striker Bojan Krkic and midfielder Thiago Alcantara to Arsenal in exchange for skipper Cesc Fabregas.

Source?

I think Enrique has 2 years left on his contract.
    No he has 12 months left on his contract

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

amiable wrote: »
    No he has 12 months left on his contract

Well its amazing Newcastle are looking for £15 million so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

If thats true I think I'd take the deal. Bojan is decent and from what I saw of Alcantara in the couple of european appearances he made last season he is very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭sonic85

no deal. 30m euros? around 26.5 million pounds? youre having a laugh. tell them to stick it. bojan is ordinary and alcantara isnt gonna fix any of our current problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Galvasean wrote: »
    Source?

from here

gosplan wrote: »
    Not being smart but we could just say no.

United are reportedly offering 10 million for Nasri. If Arsenal transfer listed him, you'd easily find 5 clubs willing to match that.

The Cesc thing is different. He's worth 35+ million and not too many clubs would pay that. Plus he is strongly linked to Barca who aren't a direct rival despite us being drawn against them in the CL all the time.

The balls in his half of the court in that he could sign a new contract, or he could let his current contract run down, or he could move. I don't think his position is that strong that he could demand to move to one club and one club only - particularly when that club is Man U.

I think it would be better for Arsenal as a whole to have Nasri playing on the last year of his contract trying his best to impress and get himself as big a wage as possible instead of taking 10 million now and have him playing for United next year.

United know they have to fill that creative CM gap this summer. We can't let them do it on the cheap with our player of the year. As a club we simply can't do it.

if cesc was put on the open market there would be 6 or 7 clubs in like a shot. the only difference between the two is cesc has four years left on his contract roundabouts so we can force him to stay. we cant force nasri to do anything. i doubt the club will take the risk of him walking out next year for nothing

nasris choice of clubs is limited. if he wants CL football at a really top club its either gonna be united chelsea or an italian club. barca and madrid dont want or need him. hes not good enough for barca anyway.

• Advertisement

maximoose wrote: »
    from here

Marca.com? I asked for a source!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Danish press reporting, via the Turkish press, that Besiktas are interested in signing Nicklas Bendtner.

Bendtner & Turkey in the same sentence - how appropriate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

2n9czq.png

Just watched his first interview and I have to say I'm absolutely delighted for him. He's been a Gooner all his life and says it's a dream come through to have finally signed for us. Says his best position is right back, but can play all across the back 4 and fill in at midfield too. I really hope he does well.

L'prof wrote: »
    2n9czq.png

Just watched his first interview and I have to say I'm absolutely delighted for him. He's been a Gooner all his life and says it's a dream come through to have finally signed for us. Says his best position is right back, but can play all across the back 4 and fill in at midfield too. I really hope he does well.

need more like him then. people that actually want to play for the club. hopefully hell show the type of passion and grit thats sorely lacking. is he going to go straight into the squad i wonder

sonic85 wrote: »
    need more like him then. people that actually want to play for the club. hopefully hell show the type of passion and grit thats sorely lacking. is he going to go straight into the squad i wonder

Said he's heading off with them for pre season anyway.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Seems like a really nice lad. Hope he gets some luck next season.

its a bit of a gamble - an awful difference between league one and the premiership hopefully he makes the grade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Nasris choice of clubs is limited. if he wants CL football at a really top club its either gonna be united chelsea or an italian club. barca and madrid dont want or need him. hes not good enough for barca anyway.

What Nasri wants isn't the only thing here though.

As I've said, if Nasri chooses not to sign a new contract and chooses to go, Arsenal can easily choose not to sell him to United.

As I've said, if Nasri chooses not to sign a new contract and chooses to go, Arsenal can easily choose not to sell him to United.
    i get the impression Nasri is just looking for better terms

if cesc was put on the open market there would be 6 or 7 clubs in like a shot. the only difference between the two is cesc has four years left on his contract roundabouts so we can force him to stay.

The other two big differences are that Barca don't play in the premier league and that there'd be a lot of goodwill at the club towards Cesc(which wouldn't be there towards Nasri were he to demand a United move)

Sh1t, totally sucked into rabbiting on about stupid rumours that probably have little or no substance to them.

Right, I'm off posting till ARsenal football club or someone that plays for them make an official statement about something.

• Advertisement

we cant easily choose to not sell him to united. if united are the only top club in for him what can arsenal do? nasri isnt gonna go to a club outside the top 4 or indeed any european club not in the CL. if nasri himself wants to force it theres very little arsenal can do except look for a good price.

the choice is keep an unhappy player for a year and let him go for free or let him go to united and get a reasonable fee. itll be the second choice - if it happens at all.

in fairness the club itself is the root of the problem. why was this left on the long finger?

All this bloody speculation and bitterness towards Nasri, you'd swear he'd already signed for United. I'm not convinced he wants out at all, so I'll reserve judgement until an announcement is made and I'm confident it'll be very positive.

All this bloody speculation and bitterness towards Nasri, you'd swear he'd already signed for United. I'm not convinced he wants out at all, so I'll reserve judgement until an announcement is made and I'm confident it'll be very positive.

nobody is convinced nasri wants out but to be honest the signs arent good at the moment and theres a big question mark hanging over him so why not comment on it. uniteds interest is being reported by virtually everybody so its not total fabrication. people will get some shock if he does end up at united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Cool, then United get him on a free next summer whilst he sits on the bench at Arsenal for 1 more season. I would settle for that... being a United fan!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

killwill wrote: »
    Cool, then United get him on a free next summer whilst he sits on the bench at Arsenal for 1 more season. I would settle for that... being a United fan!!!

Id imagine Barca, Real et all would be very interested if Nasri became available on a free.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

2n9czq.png

Didn't know he was English, will be interesting to see how he does.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Didn't know he was English, will be interesting to see how he does.

His mother is Finnish, so that's why he's playing underage for them at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

His mother is Finnish, so that's why he's playing underage for them at the moment.

Think we can claim him as English ;)

Off ye go ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Well its amazing Newcastle are looking for £15 million so!

Don't believe everything you read in the papers lad. Besides, that's the Liverpool tax anyway. ;)

killwill wrote: »

Yeah but who's gonna be the creative player this season then? Also, I doubt he'd warm the bench for a season. Most likely he'd do a Flamini, play the season of his life and cost whoever gets him a fortune in wages. TBH, it'd be much better for united to sign him now. The reason I think Arsenal won't do this move is because it's so good for United, it suits them down to the ground.

In response to Sonic85, United won't be only top club in for him at that price. Pretty much any CL club from England/Spain/Italy would take Narsi on a long term deal for 5-10 million.

I'm not at all bitter towards the guy, I'm just responding to comments.

I agree with that you've said though and it's important to remember that the only thing anyone has actually said is when Wenger said that he'd never sell him to united.

van persie having doubts over our ability to challenge next season

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/8569804/Arsenals-Robin-van-Persie-says-English-players-are-too-hedonistic-off-the-pitch.html

The Dutch forward's words are not likely to find favour with Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger as he attempts to rally his squad for another tilt at the silverware that has proved elusive since the 2005 FA Cup.

Reflecting on his motivations, Van Persie rejected the notion that money or lifestyle were enough to keep him happy, but appeared to question whether young English players shared his philosophy.

"The really top players aren't fooled by riches or fame because they are fully focused with their football," he said.

"For me, it's very important to be having breakfast every morning with my two children and that wouldn't be possible if you were hanging about in a disco all night.

"When I see some of my English colleagues who are out till three in the morning, then I can only conclude that they are invariably finished at 33."

As for Arsenal's prospects of winning the Premier Leaguetitle, Van Persie appeared downbeat after Arsenal again failed to mount a credible challenge last season, despite being well set going into the final third of the season.

"Every year it always goes wrong in an identical way and that is frustrating," said Van Persie. "When you look at results in the last years, then Arsenal shouldn't be talking about winning the league because too many times things have gone wrong.

"Sometimes you have to eat the truth and be realistic. But I do believe with the signing of a number of players, then next season we should be in there competing for prizes."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I think Van Persie has a right to say what he likes about Arsenal. Showed a lot of players how things are done when he came back from injury. He's not bringing anything to light that hasn't already been said about their squad, they need to offload a few players, and bring in some experience and quality, otherwise they won't be contending.

It's frustrating for Van Persie because every year Arsenal come close to achieving something amazing with their bright brand of football, but they're let down by a small blind spot Wenger has about spending. If he has a summer of moderate buying, brings in some proper players, and then builds from that, it won't push Arsenal into the red. Hell, even moving up the wage ceiling ever so slightly might reap some benefits.

RVP, arguably the club's best player this year, earns £70,000. In contrast, joint top-scorer this year Dimitar Berbatov, who only got two goals more and played a full season, earns £100,000. To top it off, RVP only got his deal last year! He's now level with Luka Modric, in terms of earnings.

Meanwhile, Wayne Rooney earns £50,000 more than Cesc Fabregas, showing the disparity between the two club's most valued players.

I hate to make such crude references to money, but we all know this is what counts in the Premier League now. That Arsenal ran Chelsea and Manchester United fairly close this year speaks volumes of the management job done by Wenger, even though he comes in for criticism, some of it justified, some of it not.

I think what RVP is getting at is certainly justified criticism, and it is what a lot of Arsenal fans recognise: there isn't a whole lot wrong with the squad now, but Wenger needs to initiate a bit of upheaval on and off the pitch if Arsenal want to detach the anchor pulling them down the pecking order. Unfortunately, the potential departures this year don't look to be the right ones.

He definately counts as English in relation to the 'homegrown' rule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Anyone else think that if Malaga are going to be able to get Toulalan for only €10M we should be putting a sneaky bid in there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Seen that actually, I'd say they are offering him very good wages.

id love to see us make a move for toulalan. even for 15 million hed be a steal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

id love to see us make a move for toulalan. even for 15 million hed be a steal

For 25 million he'd be a steal in todays market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

I know Malaga are a pretty wealthy club these days but with all due respect to them,if Toulalan is on his way there for that relatively small amount of money then he's probably not as good as we think he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I know Malaga are a pretty wealthy club these days but with all due respect to them,if Toulalan is on his way there for that relatively small amount of money then he's probably not as good as we think he is.
    Yeah thank god transfer fees have informed us that he is only 50% as good as Jordan Henderson.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Would Arsenal fans prefer Wenger to stay and lose the likes of Nasri and possibly Van Persie, or Would you prefer to keep the players and possibly get a new manager to freshen things up and improve your squad?

Has he actually made a move for any players yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

CSF wrote: »
    Yeah thank god transfer fees have informed us that he is only 50% as good as Jordan Henderson.

That's the point really,in a world where the likes of Henderson goes for £16m,why is Toulalan going for half that?I'm not saying money dictates how good a player is or anything like that,just strange thats he's going so cheap when his deal is until 2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭DenMan

Inter Milan may be making enquiries about Bendtner soon.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11854_6982844,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

That's the point really,in a world where the likes of Henderson goes for £16m,why is Toulalan going for half that?I'm not saying money dictates how good a player is or anything like that,just strange thats he's going so cheap when his deal is until 2015

The question is why is Jordan Henderson going for £20m, not why is Toulalan going for €10m. If you're going to compare every transfer to Liverpool's recent business then you'll be scratching your head a lot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

The question is why is Jordan Henderson going for £20m, not why is Toulalan going for €10m. If you're going to compare every transfer to Liverpool's recent business then you'll be scratching your head a lot.
    I suppose he would have to compare them to liverpools transfers as Wenger has not bought anyone since the turn of the century!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Would Arsenal fans prefer Wenger to stay and lose the likes of Nasri and possibly Van Persie, or Would you prefer to keep the players and possibly get a new manager to freshen things up and improve your squad?

Has he actually made a move for any players yet?
    Wow wow wow now don't get ahead of yourself. If anyone is staying at the club it is Robin Van Persie. He seems to be the only person bar Wilshere who gives a ****e about the club and where it's headed.

Van is the Man(provided he isn't injured)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

DenMan wrote: »
    Inter Milan may be making enquiries about Bendtner soon.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11854_6982844,00.html

Straight swap with Eto'o please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Straight swap with Eto'o please.

....or if Eto isnt available, one of those lucozade sport bottle holders that can hold the six bottles, or a new set of nets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

....or if Eto isnt available, one of those lucozade sport bottle holders that can hold the six bottles, or a new set of nets.

That's a little disrespectful.I hope Eto'o doesn't read this.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement