Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Seriously, Eto'o is the type of player you should be looking to sign. The money's there, you need a striker, and Arsenal could definitely attract him to the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Some people reporting that jones move to utd is off and its between us and liverpool.
    I still dont think he is right for us this summer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Some people reporting that jones move to utd is off and its between us and liverpool.

Hopefully it is. If Wenger could get Cahill as well it would be great. 2 from Jones, Cahill and Thomas V, would be a good centre back pairing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Straight swap with Eto'o please.

Yeah Alex Song is gonna love that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

was nasri 15million? :o thought it was only around 7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

OPENROAD wrote: »

Hmmmm, gonna wait for something concrete. The Mirror are usually good on Arsenal stuff but have let themselves down a few times recently.

It does present an interesting dilemma though.

If it were a straight choice, would you rather Nasri leave and get 10 million extra invested in the squad or Cesc leave, Nasri play through the middle and get 40 million invested in the squad?

I'm gonna go with the former but only because I partly named my daughter after Fabregas. Tis a tough choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

gosplan wrote: »
    Hmmmm, gonna wait for something concrete. The Mirror are usually good on Arsenal stuff but have let themselves down a few times recently.

It does present an interesting dilemma though.

If it were a straight choice, would you rather Nasri leave and get 10 million extra invested in the squad or Cesc leave, Nasri play through the middle and get 40 million invested in the squad?

I'm gonna go with the former but only because I partly named my daughter after Fabregas. Tis a tough choice.

lol :D

Would go for the latter myself

• Advertisement

I really hope we dont make a bid for downing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭sonic85

the calibre of players were (reportedly) looking at is nothing short of disgraceful and it just shows how rapidly were slipping out of the top tier of clubs in my opinion. were even being linked with an uzbek?! odil ahmedov if anybody wants to google him

sonic85 wrote: »
    the calibre of players were (reportedly) looking at

NB the bit in bold. We can't really complain that the gossip doesn't match our hopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

think twitter is hopping with speculation that a deal is almost done for gary cahill

NB the bit in bold. We can't really complain that the gossip doesn't match our hopes.

i know a lot of it is just bullsh!t but in a lot of cases theres no smoke without fire. weve already tried for phil jones who could be a great player in a few years time but hes not what we need right now. were also in discussions (had a bid rejected last night according to skysports) for gervinho who is no world beater and is also being chased by the likes of tottenham and newcastle. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I really hope we dont make a bid for downing

Agreed. Downing is a decent-ish player. But only hyped because he's English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

He's good but would be a total waste with us, gets a few goals but tis really good at hugging thw wing and putting good crosses for a big forward, besides we already got bendtner and chamakh for the wings.

interesting.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_6986038,00.html

Arsenal's second largest shareholder Alisher Usmanov has blamed the Gunners board for the club's recent failures.

The Uzbek billionaire is far from happy that the Emirates Stadium outfit have gone six years without winning any silverware.
    And he feels that the current board members must shoulder the blame for the lack of success.

He told the News of the World: "If the role of a board member is to oversee a trophyless period, while making significant personal profits and asking fans to pay inflation-busting ticket price increases then, no, I would not want to be on the board."

Contribute

"If instead it is to try to deliver sustained success, to increase your personal investment in the club, to help develop the commercial position and to ensure the fans have a say in the running of the club then, yes, I think I certainly have something to contribute."

"In terms of doing things differently, let me give you a very clear example. Arsenal has all of its major commercial contracts coming up for renewal in the next couple of years."

"It's no secret that to maximise the value of those you want to have success on the field and be winning trophies. To do that you need to invest now in building a winning team. This is simple commercial logic. Whether it comes to pass, we shall see."

Arsenal's season collapsed in spectacular fashion following their Carling Cup final defeat to Birmingham in February, with their challenges in the UEFA Champions League FA Cup and Premier League all crumbling in the wake of that Wembley reverse.

Backing

And Usmanov is of the opinion that manager Arsene Wenger needs to be given the financial backing to bring in experienced players to complement the crop of talented youngsters the club have at their disposal.

"There is a widely-held view among most commentators - and one that I agree with - that the club needs to stiffen the defensive spine of the team, with a dominant keeper, strong centre-halves and a powerful defensive midfielder in the mould of Claude Makelele" he said.

"The Premier League is one of the most competitive in the world and whilst we have consistently challenged for honours, the club needs to develop talent and buy top-class players to win the trophies we all crave. This requires greater investment which, I believe, has been lacking thus far."

"What however is not clear is whether the board shares this view. For too long they have seemed happy to sanction second, third and fourth as being acceptable, whilst at the same time they are planning to sell their shares."

EDIT: sorry maxpower - didnt see your earlier post on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Has he actually made a move for any players yet?

He probably has. Arsenal generally keep transfers super quiet until the deal is done. Usually when a possible transfer deal for us goes public another team swoops in and offers more money. It's in our best interest to keep things on the down low.

If United are pulling out over money there is no way we are gonna get him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

the calibre of players were (reportedly) looking at is nothing short of disgraceful and it just shows how rapidly were slipping out of the top tier of clubs in my opinion. were even being linked with an uzbek?! odil ahmedov if anybody wants to google him

Just cause he's from Uzbekistan doesn't mean he's crap.

• Advertisement

No, but definitely not the type of player we need to be signing at the moment.

Plus, he probably isn't very good at all.

Just cause he's from Uzbekistan doesn't mean he's crap.

i never said he was crap but hes most definitely not arsenal quality. to have a chance of winning anything we need proven quality world class signings. this guy is none of those things. do you see barca or chelsea or united after players like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Can't help but getting involved in the twitter speculator. Cash + Squillaci for Hazard.

Can't help but getting involved in the twitter speculator. Cash + Squillaci for Hazard.

:)

Sellsellsell.jpg

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

O HAI.

Too many disappointments over the past summers to pay any serious attention to any of the stories going on. I'm off gonna plonk myself on the beach for the summer and hopefully there'll be some nice news to come back to in September...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

One of the things that's emerged in recent seasons though, everyone we buy does get reported by the press these days long in advance so the secrecy thing isn't working (although it is still a tough job to filter the real noises from the fabricated bull****). So if you don't like what you're hearing now... chances are you're not going to like it too much in Sept. :(

Apparently City have hijacked the Gervinho transfer and offered him much bigger wages (source yesterday's Mirror). I wouldn't lose too much sleep to be honest. Wasn't too excited about him anyways.

One of the things that's emerged in recent seasons though, everyone we buy does get reported by the press these days long in advance so the secrecy thing isn't working (although it is still a tough job to filter the real noises from the fabricated bull****). So if you don't like what you're hearing now... chances are you're not going to like it too much in Sept. :(

exactly. of course some of the rumours are bull but you cant keep everything dead quiet. the players were being linked to at the moment are far from inspiring

Galvasean wrote: »
    Apparently City have hijacked the Gervinho transfer and offered him much bigger wages (source yesterday's Mirror). I wouldn't lose too much sleep to be honest. Wasn't too excited about him anyways.

And there supposedly are after outbidding us for Cahill i have to say im happy on both counts

• Advertisement

So if you believe everything you read (which i dont but for argument's sake) so far we've been outbid for Jones, Gervinho and Cahill. In a way you gotta have sympathy for Wenger. How is he supposed to compete in this market?

So if you believe everything you read (which i dont but for argument's sake) so far we've been outbid for Jones, Gervinho and Cahill. In a way you gotta have sympathy for Wenger. How is he supposed to compete in this market?

if he was really after those players and was 100% serious about landing them then he shouldve had them wrapped up by now. the mans far too slow to act. if we make any signings itll be from whats left after all the big clubs have finished their business in the last couple of days before the window closes

Roger Johnson on a free transfer. Sounds like our kind of signing :/
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_6983142,00.html

if he was really after those players and was 100% serious about landing them then he shouldve had them wrapped up by now. the mans far too slow to act. if we make any signings itll be from whats left after all the big clubs have finished their business in the last couple of days before the window closes

I don't think it's that simple tbh.

Also(and don't take this as a personal attack), I think you're giving Wenger a hard time for things that you think he's not going to do this summer. There's plently to give him a hard time about without resorting to speculating what mistakes he might be making behind closed doors.

Everyone from Arsenal's said it'll be a busy summer so I think you'd do the stress levels a favour if you sit tight and see what they come up with.

The only transfer wrapped up so far is Henderson. I'm surprised it was wrapped up so quickly but I think it's because Liverpool weren't going to be matched.

Jones, Cahill, and Gervinho all have agents who are telling them to take their time and play the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It's not like Wenger has woken up late for the Sales and arrives to find that Fergie, Mancini, Dalglish and co are already at the check-outs with the purchases Wenger had marked for himself. Transfers are pretty complex operations involving the 2 clubs, the player and the player's agent.

It also seems that Wenger has considerably less cash to play with than his major rivals. I don't imagine that is likely to change unless Fabregas is sold. That will then give Wenger's detractors something else to beat him with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

JamieDalton82 Jamie Dalton by SiClancy
    Bit of chat from Russia says Arsenal are interested in Keisuke Honda from CSKA Moscow.

Incredible free kick taker.

I don't think it's that simple tbh.

Also(and don't take this as a personal attack), I think you're giving Wenger a hard time for things that you think he's not going to do this summer. There's plently to give him a hard time about without resorting to speculating what mistakes he might be making behind closed doors.

Everyone from Arsenal's said it'll be a busy summer so I think you'd do the stress levels a favour if you sit tight and see what they come up with.

The only transfer wrapped up so far is Henderson. I'm surprised it was wrapped up so quickly but I think it's because Liverpool weren't going to be matched.

Jones, Cahill, and Gervinho all have agents who are telling them to take their time and play the field.

dont worry about it - im just saying what i think thats all. i dont know everything and im not trying to pretend i do - my problem is weve seen similar happenings for years now and it doesnt look like its changing. i can give a list of players weve been after over the last few years that have fallen through because weve been too slow and too tight to pay a decent price.

i presume your talking about liam brady when you say everyone from arsenal has said itll be a busy summer? i doubt very much the head of the academy knows anything about the dealings (or possible dealings) of arsene wenger. why would wenger let brady know anything? transfers for the senior squad have nothing to do with brady.

anyway i dont take it personally - if im wrong i dont mind being corrected!

i like honda - good player. similar player to nasri so if we make a concrete offer for honda it could mean nasris on his way out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Incredible free kick taker.

Any decent keeper from the EPL would've saved the majority of the tbf

lol RVP on twitter :D

greendom wrote: »
    It's not like Wenger has woken up late for the Sales and arrives to find that Fergie, Mancini, Dalglish and co are already at the check-outs with the purchases Wenger had marked for himself. Transfers are pretty complex operations involving the 2 clubs, the player and the player's agent.

It also seems that Wenger has considerably less cash to play with than his major rivals. I don't imagine that is likely to change unless Fabregas is sold. That will then give Wenger's detractors something else to beat him with.

is this not a major incentive to get the deals done ASAP? why ar$e around and dilly dally. deals cant be finalised until the window opens but other clubs and players could have been contacted about possible transfers the day the season ends. why wait?

were far from being poor why make us out to be. of course we havent got the money the likes of city united and chelsea have but the last AGM pointed out that theres an account set aside with the ade and toure money in it. we have some money he just needs to pick his targets and go for them.

i mean look at the jones thing - wenger waited until united firmed up their interest before making a last ditch effort to change the lads mind. we were looking at the man last season! if he wanted him why wait. last season he was available for £8 million now its doubled

is this not a major incentive to get the deals done ASAP? why ar$e around and dilly dally. deals cant be finalised until the window opens but other clubs and players could have been contacted about possible transfers the day the season ends. why wait?

were far from being poor why make us out to be. of course we havent got the money the likes of city united and chelsea have but the last AGM pointed out that theres an account set aside with the ade and toure money in it. we have some money he just needs to pick his targets and go for them.

i mean look at the jones thing - wenger waited until united firmed up their interest before making a last ditch effort to change the lads mind. we were looking at the man last season! if he wanted him why wait. last season he was available for £8 million now its doubled

I think it is the whole transfers out that could be a problem, which is why we need to sort that out asap.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Any decent keeper from the EPL would've saved the majority of the tbf

Still, it'd be an improvement to have someone who can hit the target. RVP I love you, but you're no good at freekicks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Still, it'd be an improvement to have someone who can hit the target. RVP I love you, but you're no good at freekicks!

I used to think he was the best in the world a few years ago

• Advertisement

I used to think he was the best in the world a few years ago

Well there's no denying he can strike the ball well, but it seems like a long time since he's been a genuine threat from the dead ball. It could be a composure issue (which wouldn't surprise given the current lack of confidence in the side), or it could be that injuries have affected his balance, or that he's being overly ambitious in trying to hit the perfect free. Either way I'd prefer to see someone else take over those situations next season, leave RVP in the box, he's better in there than the rest of the team anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Well there's no denying he can strike the ball well, but it seems like a long time since he's been a genuine threat from the dead ball. It could be a composure issue (which wouldn't surprise given the current lack of confidence in the side), or it could be that injuries have affected his balance, or that he's being overly ambitious in trying to hit the perfect free. Either way I'd prefer to see someone else take over those situations next season, leave RVP in the box, he's better in there than the rest of the team anyway.

I would leave him on them, he playing his best football of his career and once one goes in he'll probably start banging them in regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

OPENROAD wrote: »

From what I can gather Nasri wants to leave so he can win trophies, why would he stay if we sold our best player? Can't see him being affected that much by being played out wide

RvP would be the world's greatest free kick taker if the object of the game where to rattle the crossbar.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement