Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

JET scores 2-0

Wilshere and Nasri linking up well together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

any other stream that link is giving me an error :(

edit: oops never mind got it working! did anyone see that walcott nike ad? basically admitting he knows hes not played well and needs to step up and knows he needs more then just pace lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

gibson wrote: »
    any other stream that link is giving me an error :(

I'm using this:

http://www.atdhe.net/21578/watch-sc-neusiedl-vs-arsenal

j14 wrote: »

cheers dude think thats the link im using now. were either goals any good? Has Frimpong played well he looks a beast!

Wilshire has been my Man of the 1st half. Nasri is picking passes all over the place but Arshavin looks a little un-interested. JET is just barging his way through everybody and Frimpong is just breaking things up and laying it off to the more creative types. Walcott has had a few chances but just hasn't been able to put the finishing touches that we kinda take as granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Jayzus if Djourous injury is in any way serious we're fooked, we'd have to go out and buy two CB's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Chamakh first Arsenal goal :)

Chamakh Attack is off the mark!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Chamattack!

3-0, Chamakh with a peno after he was taken down.

• Advertisement

Nordtveit has moved into central midfield.

And Vela makes it 4

4-0 Beautiful lob by Vela from a great ball from Nasri

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

Chamattack!

how long you waiting to use that!! its good!

The Mexican Pelé strikes again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Nice pen save

Penalty ... but saved!

I didnt see the first half but Frimpong is looking class in the second half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

gibson wrote: »
    did anyone see that walcott nike ad? basically admitting he knows hes not played well and needs to step up and knows he needs more then just pace lol
    Nike seem to put serious pressure on their stars to do ads that are quite close to the bone.

Check out the one they got Tiger to do a while ago using his dead father's voice...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Link to highlights / goals anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Cheers. Good to see Manonne save a penalty, even if it was very tame.
    Wilshire was excellent. So was JET. Hope to see more of them in the coming season.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Knowing how thrifty Wenger is i wouldn't be surprised if he's happy to use Song as cover for the centre backs! It'd be a typical Wenger solution.:rolleyes:

and its not that Song would be bad there i think but the void he'd leave at DM. no one else up to it im afraid

EDIT: Eastmond still a bit inexperienced but in time may be the solution

I know it's only pre-season and you can't take much from it but I've been very impressed with Frimpong and JET.

I reckon next time we come up against a team that thinks they can kick us out of the game we should try go 2-0 up and then for the last 20 minutes play a midfield trio of Song-Frimpong-JET and just have them run around a beat the cr@p out of Blackburn/Stoke/Bolton.

Frisbee wrote: »
    play a midfield trio of Song-Frimpong-JET and just have them run around a beat the cr@p out of Blackburn/Stoke/Bolton.

You know what they say about Blackburn/Stoke/Bolton, they don't like it up 'em! They can't complain about foreigners either, cause two of 'em are English! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I know it's only pre-season and you can't take much from it but I've been very impressed with Frimpong and JET.

As I was with Wilshere last pre-season, don't expect to see them get much game time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Galvasean wrote: »
    You know what they say about Blackburn/Stoke/Bolton, they don't like it up 'em! They can't complain about foreigners either, cause two of 'em are English! :P

Actually, I think you could be of a similar age to me Galva in remembering the times when we were the dirty foreign bastards with about 13 reds a season. :p

Them were the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

cson wrote: »
    Actually, I think you could be of a similar age to me Galva in remembering the times when we were the dirty foreign bastards with about 13 reds a season. :p

Them were the days.

And we got some stick about it unlike when we are on the receiving end, I can just imagine the reaction if we toughened up :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Haven't we topped the fair play league for the last few years?

Actually; did we have anyone sent off last season at all? Can't think of anyone.

Vermaelen was sent off against West Ham, but IIRC the red card was recinded (or whatever that word is when they look at the incident again and change their mind) after appeal.

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    And we got some stick about it unlike when we are on the receiving end, I can just imagine the reaction if we toughened up :p

Then: Dirty cheating foreigners, always fouling!
    Now: Wishy washy foreigners don't like it up 'em!

We need to find the middle ground.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Then: Dirty cheating foreigners, always fouling!
    Now: Wishy washy foreigners don't like it up 'em!

We need to find the middle ground.

We just need to start winning again and I won't care what they think. I preferred when we had a bit of bite though and bombed down the wings on the counter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

I reckon next time we come up against a team that thinks they can kick us out of the game we should try go 2-0 up and then for the last 20 minutes play a midfield trio of Song-Frimpong-JET and just have them run around a beat the cr@p out of Blackburn/Stoke/Bolton.

Thats a good idea and i hear Frimpong can fight .......

gun__1222158713_frimpong23092008.jpg
    chriseubank.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Looking at the fixture list and was thinking of trying to get over for the West Ham game at the end of October. Im only a red member this season. Would it be easy to get tickets for this? Id probably be going on my own because you can only get 1 ticket per membership and none of my mates support Arsenal. If the match is over at 16.50 and my flight is leaving at 19.40 from stanstead would you be able to make it? Im thinking of booking the flights soon cos they are very cheap.

Cheers for any help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

Only caught the highlights myself but in the pre-season we've looked to be in good shape even though it's been against much weaker teams.

Main players to stand out for me are JET and Frimpong like everyone else has been saying I'd love to see JET get a bit of game time as he's been a good physical presence and he's well able to hold up a ball which is something that we've been missing.

The Vela goal in the match was a cracker its a pitty he can't pull off more finishes like that ;) Also good to Cham on the score sheet all be it from a peno.

So hopefully a new goalkeeper and CB and we'll be ready for the new season :)

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Surely there's no way back into the team for Denilson now with the emergence of Frimpo, Eastmond, JET, etc not to mention the likes of Wilshere and Nasri who look very comfortable in the middle of the park.

Time to ship out the rubbish:

- Silvestre - check

- Eduardo (sadly) - check

- Denilson - waiting with hope

- Almunia - Surely will go

I really hope we don't get rid of Denilson, our squad has already been weakened without getting rid of one of our more dependable guys. He won't be as good going forward as Cesc/Nasri, or in defense as Song, but he's a good stopgap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Only just watched the highlights. Again the opposition didn't look up to much to can't really use it as a basis.

What a ball that Wilshere played through for Walcott though when he missed in the first half. :eek:

The boy is going to be special!

According to the oh so reliable Mirror we are interested in Mertesacker :
    Sol Campbell is heading towards Newcastle - leaving Arsenal ready to turn to Per Mertesacker to solve their defensive crisis.

Arsene Wenger was confident of signing 35-year-old Campbell on a one-year deal but newly-promoted Newcastle made an 11th hour move to snatch the ex-England defender.

GWenger watched the 25-year-old Werder Bremen centre half in South Africa and Arsenal believe there is a £10m deal to be done as Mertesacker only has two years left on his current contract.

Mertesacker has now emerged as their first choice as Everton knocked back two bids - including a £14m offer - for Phil Jagielka , telling Arsenal he is not for sale at any price.

Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis is hoping to tie up a deal for Mertesacker with Wenger now desperately short of defensive options.

That has meant Arsenal also have a back-up plan which includes Ajax's Jan Vertonghen and Dynamo Kiev's Senegalese defender Pape Diakhate who is keen on a move to England.

Arsenal have already spent £8m on Laurent Koscielny and have Thomas Vermaelen and Johan Djourou. They will also offer Norwegian youngster Havard Nordtveit, 19, a long term contract and promote him to the first team squad.

As it stands, Vermaelen and Koscielny are the first choice pairing but if they can bring in Mertesacker then the German would give them real stability after the departures of Campbell, William Gallas, Philippe Senderos and Mikael Silvestre this summer.

A big-name signing would ease growing unrest behind the scenes after Wenger's lack of activity in the transfer market as Koscielny and Marouane Chamakh are the only new arrivals with Fulham veteran Mark Schwarzer their number one keeper target.

The board is acutely aware of the fans being restless but the club believe they have won the battle to keep Cesc Fabregas despite Barcelona's best efforts.

Fabregas will be at Arsenal's photocall and open training session for 10,000 fans on Thursday week when he returns to the club next week and that will be the clearest sign yet that he is definitely staying.

Arsenal left back Gael Clichy is also set to stay despite interest from Juventus as the French international does not want to leave for Italy despite the Turin club being keen on a move involving Brazil midfielder Felipe Melo.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Arsenal-transfer-news-Gunners-turn-to-10m-Germany-star-Per-Mertsacker-to-solve-defensive-crisis-after-Sol-Campbell-opts-to-join-Newcastle-article538459.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    See I think you're misjudging our defensive performance last year by absolving our CBs - yes there were goalkeeping errors and a lack of a consistent midfield shield (and issues with our version of 4-3-3) but we also, as usual, got hit straight through the centre on occasion too.

I can't remember too many of them but I'll take your word for it.

It's kind of illustrates my point though. Are we really worried about Gallas and Campbell leaving. This isn't like Vidic leaving United or Dunne leaving Villa. They're aging CB's prone to error. Is replacing them with young talent such a risk?

I'd love an experienced tough error-free CB to come in but that wouldn't be replacing what's gone, it'd be a big improvement.

• Advertisement

Denilson is faaaaaaaaar better technically than Frimpong and to a lesser extent Eastmond. JET's a forward or an AM at least so he doesn't make a difference.

All three need to go on loan. JET looks the closest to being 1st team worthy but if Wilshere can't get near the team then he hasn't a prayer. Nordtveit might be a useful backup option for right back and holding midfield though. Good technical ability and physically he's OK.

shano_88 wrote: »
    Looking at the fixture list and was thinking of trying to get over for the West Ham game at the end of October. Im only a red member this season. Would it be easy to get tickets for this? Id probably be going on my own because you can only get 1 ticket per membership and none of my mates support Arsenal. If the match is over at 16.50 and my flight is leaving at 19.40 from stanstead would you be able to make it? Im thinking of booking the flights soon cos they are very cheap.

Cheers for any help.

You shouldn't have any bother getting tickets for that game as a red member, as long as you're on the ball. Even if you miss out, there should be plenty on the ticket exchange.

3 hours seems like plenty of time, but you could easily be an hour gettin from the game to a bus or train. I'd say you'll make it, can't guarantee it though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Denilson is faaaaaaaaar better technically than Frimpong and to a lesser extent Eastmond. JET's a forward or an AM at least so he doesn't make a difference.

All three need to go on loan. JET looks the closest to being 1st team worthy but if Wilshere can't get near the team then he hasn't a prayer. Nordtveit might be a useful backup option for right back and holding midfield though. Good technical ability and physically he's OK.

I dont know Pepe, you have been banging on about him for years saying how good he is but he still isnt a first choice pick for the team. Goes missing way too often.

We need 2 CB at this rate. What is the odds we will get none:(

Not to knock the guy but will JET be able to do it when he's given less time on the ball against more physical players in the league?

It's only one game, and the team's general play wasn't especially fluent that day, but v Stoke in last year's FA Cup he didn't exactly set the game alight. I'd still like to see him go out on loan I think, at least till Christmas. If Blackpool wanted him back, it could be a great move for him.

shano_88 wrote: »
    Would it be easy to get tickets for this?
    Should be fine, although obviously keep track of when they'll be going on sale so you can get in early and make sure. Ticket Exchange will be fine for just one ticket but it's easier not to have to spend time keeping an eye on it if you can avoid it.
    If the match is over at 16.50 and my flight is leaving at 19.40 from stanstead would you be able to make it?
    Cutting it a bit finer than I would myself, given the queues afterwards for the Tube. If there was one at about half 8, I'd go with the later one, but as Jason says, you could well be fine.

Frimpong and JET are certianly more physical players than Denilson, if that's what your looking for.

Denilson is good at getting the ball, turning and picking a pass. He won't be clipping in defence splitters or banging 60 yards cross field balls to our wingers, but he's more than capable of doing the simple stuff in the middle of the park which is something we need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I don't think Denilson's progressed in line with the hopes that many of us had for him. Still, CMF/DMF is usually a position that demands experience and despite the fact he's played 80 games in that position, he's still only 22. I still think he could make a great leap forward, it's just that I expected it to have come by now.

Can't see any good reason to get rid of him though, especially if it means we're going to be replying on some younger players who have simply impressed in a few senior matches and one preseason.

At the moment, he's the new Edu. Not delighted if he starts against United or Chelsea but a good player to have in the squad.

Still, if he toughened up a bit and upped the aggression levels, he could do a job like Flamini.

jank wrote: »
    I dont know Pepe, you have been banging on about him for years saying how good he is but he still isnt a first choice pick for the team. Goes missing way too often.
    Diaby goes missing, Denilson always makes himself available. He's certainly not the perfect CM but he's a long way ahead of Eastmond or Frimpong. Eastmond's stamina only took him as far as 65 minutes in every game and he's as slight as Denilson. Frimpong isn't ready technically and would most likely get into big trouble as soon as he plays against a proper team where he doesn't have a physical advantage and gets pressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

The Telegraph are running the Marchetti story now saying we are preparing a 5.5m bid

McLink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    The Telegraph are running the Marchetti story now saying we are preparing a 5.5m bid

McLink

FFS, he was CRAP at the World Cup. Lowest saves to shots ratio IIRC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement