Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

amiable wrote: »
    Winger/Forward.
    He's not what Arsenal need IMO
    He's good but not great IMO

I'd take him, but only as a replacement for Arshavin.:pac:

My wishlist.
    Torres, Drogba, Rooney, Vidic, Messi & Julio Baptista.

MAYBE then we would win the Carling Cup.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

jonny666 wrote: »
    Lets hope he'll be another Anelka and not a Wiltord or Reyes!!

Can i ask people...who would be on your wishlist. From readin through this thread it seems no one we've been linked with is good enough

In a very particular order:

Benzema, Young/Hazard, DM, CB

No idea who the DM and CB should be as there isn't really anyone available who strikes me as great. I have a feeling we'll end up getting Sakho but another 'project' really isn't what we need atm.

Typical Arsenal really. Having to choose between one of the hottest young prospects in European football and an African speed merchant and who do we go for?

Gervinho is the next Eboué.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

RVP 11 wrote: »
    I'd take him, but only as a replacement for Arshavin.:pac:

Im with you on Arshavin. He can be so frustrating to watch sometimes and his 'moments of genius' that Wenger said he could do in a match are gettin less and less.

Frisbee wrote: »
    In a very particular order:

Benzema, Young/Hazard, DM, CB

No idea who the DM and CB should be as there isn't really anyone available who strikes me as great. I have a feeling we'll end up getting Sakho but another 'project' really isn't what we need atm.

Typical Arsenal really. Having to choose between one of the hottest young prospects in European football and an African speed merchant and who do we go for?

Gervinho is the next Eboué.

I just cant see us going in for Benzema. He would surely cost 20mil+ and I just cant see Wenger spending that much. Would he be able to play up front with Van Persie too?? We could hardly sign him as back up!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Can i ask people...who would be on your wishlist. From readin through this thread it seems no one we've been linked with is good enough

I read on Ceefax while ago that Barca said that Wenger can have his choice of players for Cesc. Does that include Messi. I hope it does, but i doubt it.

• Advertisement

Deise Tom wrote: »
    I read on Ceefax while ago that Barca said that Wenger can have his choice of players for Cesc. Does that include Messi. I hope it does, but i doubt it.

haha maybe i should have said realistic wishlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

haha maybe i should have said realistic wishlist.

Sure according to the Mirror last week Iniesta would be surplus to requirements when Fabregas arrives. There ya go :pac:

Smegball wrote: »
    Sure according to the Mirror last week Iniesta would be surplus to requirements when Fabregas arrives. There ya go :pac:

According to the mirror Ronaldo is goin to City for 150mil and 400k a week!! They are like the weekly world news with transfer rumours!! haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

The Ivan Gazidis and AST meeting from the other night is up on Arsenal.com for anybody interested

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/free-video-gazidis-qanda-session-part-one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Ive only seen Gervinho play a couple of times for Ivory Coast. He looked pretty good at the time.

Anyone seen much of him playing at Lille? What position was he playing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

The BBC are going with the Gervinho story now aswell so it clearly has legs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13759774.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

is Gervinho really what we need? squad player or starter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

shano_88 wrote: »
    Ive only seen Gervinho play a couple of times for Ivory Coast. He looked pretty good at the time.

Anyone seen much of him playing at Lille? What position was he playing?

i watched clips of him on youtube and he looks good, but then again everyone looks good on youtube. looks like a real center foward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He's obviously not as good as Hazard

greendom wrote: »
    He's obviously not as good as Hazard

If we sign him It pretty much means were not getting Hazard who I would prefer. Can he play as a Winger/striker or just an out and out striker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The only way I could see us getting Hazard and Gervinho is if we sold either Cesc or Nasri. From what little I've seen Hazard looks considerably better than Gervinho.

Poor old Wiltord. Am i the only one who was sad to see him go? He had a 1 in 3 goal ratio in the Premier League. Maybe his league winning goal at Old Trafford is making me biased though.

I'd be happy with another Wiltord TBH, after seeing Bendtner, Denilson & co. play for us.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'd be happy with another Wiltord TBH, after seeing Bendtner, Denilson & co. play for us.:pac:

He hasn't retired yet. Only 37 and a free agent ;)

Sign him up then.:D
    I am not going to get too excited about Gervinho or anyone else yet.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

To be fair Gervinho's numbers are better than Hazard's. Hazard is obviously younger and likely to be the better player in the long run but the Ivorian may make a better contribution straight from the off. From what I've seen he's more of a runner and finisher who'll get on the end of moves, whereas Hazard is more of a playmaker, so there's a certain logic to it. Still hard to get excited about signing him though.

• Advertisement

Gervihno is a target front man, how will he play with RVP or Chamakh?
    That's the issue.
    We need a Chicharito or a Bergkamp, a link up man, a team player if you will.
    From what i have seen, Gervihno isn't that man.
    I'd rather an experienced, passionate defender or defensive midfielder, than another out an out front man.

Neymar to Madrid. Probably means Benzema is available but I'm still holding onto a ludicrous hope we can get Higuaín.
    We need a Chicharito or a Bergkamp, a link up man, a team player if you will.

Chicharito is the complete opposite to a link up man.

Neymar to Madrid. Probably means Benzema is available but I'm still holding onto a ludicrous hope we can get Higuaín.

If it were any other club in the world, Id say forget about it, never gonna happen, why would they sell him. But, its Real Madrid and you just dont know what they're gonna do. What a signing he would be though. Back to 4-4-2 with Higuian and RVP up front. drool.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Pretty sure Sow spearheaded Lille's attack with Gervinho tending to operate in a wider role.

Either way, we don't really have enough players with good movement off the ball, so I reckon he'd be a useful addition.

Chicharito is the complete opposite to a link up man.

The link up man was Bergkamp, Chicharito is a team player and could play with anyone up front.
    Gervihno, we just don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

:eek::confused:. Wiltord = Legend and voted the 33rd greatest Arsenal player of all time might I add.

In relation to Gervinho for me it just aint enough. If we sign him I presume that will be the only first team forward we buy. I just see him as a player we would of signed any season before this and not the answer to our problems. I can see him in around the Chamakh area of success and again it all being put on RVP.

As for Hazard looks like the real deal at 20 and one I would love to have but think he is not someone we will pay the big bucks for unless Nasri goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Acording to twitter arsenal so far are in advanced talks with 4 players
    2 CB'S, Winger, and a Striker.
    There actually saying 3 of these are done deals and the other one is 99% done, there just waiting for the right time too announce it.

If the winger is downing in gonna cry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Acording to twitter arsenal so far are in advanced talks with 4 players
    2 CB'S, Winger, and a Striker.
    There actually saying 3 of these are done deals and the other one is 99% done, there just waiting for the right time too announce it.

If the winger is downing in gonna cry

Twitter schmitter. We're Arsenal fans. No point paying any attention to the window until about 11pm on Septermber the 1st, or whenever the feck it closes. :D

Not Downing please.

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote: »
    Twitter schmitter. We're Arsenal fans. No point paying any attention to the window until about 11pm on Septermber the 1st, or whenever the feck it closes. :D

Or about 2 days after it closes like the arshavin deal:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭sonic85

im betting the winger is nzogbia. we were linked with him during his newcastle stint and the last couple of days theres rumours surfacing that weve renewed our interest

Seb Larrsons father came out and said were interested in him.
    Another one that im hoping is bull

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Pretty sure Sow spearheaded Lille's attack with Gervinho tending to operate in a wider role.

Listening to the World Football Phone-in last weekend, Andy Brassel was very clear that he was a wing forward and not a central striker. If true, he has a very good goal scoring record for one!

I'd be quite happy with his signing, I agree we need more dynamism and movement off the ball up front, just look how devastating Walcott's runs in behind are.

van Persie
    Gervinho ---- Chamakh
    Nasri
    Arshavin
    Walcott

Actually a ridiculously potent set of options for the front 3 if we could only hang onto Nasri!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

BumperGraham Graham Hunter
    Sagna on French radio: "I can confirm it's true that Cesc wants to join Barça. "He wants to return to his city, his family."
    Sagna on French radio: "He wants to play in one of the best teams in the world, Barcelona, and that's quite understandable"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

BumperGraham Graham Hunter

Wouldn't mind selling Sagna also

• Advertisement

Sky sports scout done a report on Ryo Miyaichi.
    http://www.skysports.com/football/transfers/scout/0,24035,15198_6915146,00.html
    Ryo Miyaichi is a hugely exciting prospect who has been lighting up the Dutch League with Feyenoord.

The young winger, though, is in Rotterdam for one reason - and that is to prepare himself for his future club - Arsenal.

The 18-year-old has already impressed enough to earn himself a move to one of Europe's giants.

Last summer, and still in High School, Miyaichi was invited for numerous trials and he featured for both Arsenal and Ajax, but it was the English club who pushed through a move.

Arsene Wenger sanctioned the move despite Miyaichi suffering a serious leg break during his time in Holland.

Wenger recognised the raw talent that Miyaichi possessed and he officially moved to North London in January this year, but he was soon sent out on loan to Feyenoord.

And perhaps even Wenger could not have anticipated the impact made by his young prospect, who is a regular in Japan's youth sides.

Miyaichi has already featured in a dozen games, and has had the Dutch press and fans salivating at his precocious ability.

A natural-born winger, Miyaichi is able to play in either flank and although right-footed, he has can use his left with stunning effect too.

Miyaichi you could describe an old-fashioned winger, similar in some ways to Adam Johnson - he runs at a defender at any possible chance and what makes him so dangerous is the fact he can attack at tremendous speed.

Despite being an attacker, Miyaichi also has an excellent work-rate and does not need telling twice to track back and help his winger.

Wenger looks to have again pulled off a huge coup by landing Miyaichi, who already looks capable of being able to make an impact.

The scout says...

Work-permit regulations mean Miyaichi has to wait for his chance to play in England, but at just 18 - a couple of years in Holland could be the making of him.

If Miyaichi does continue his current progress then Arsenal could push for his move as soon as possible.

The Scout rating...

Shooting: 7 out of 10

Passing: 7 out of 10

Tackling: 6 out of 10

Heading: 6 out of 10

Pace: 8 out of 10

Vision: 8 out of 10

Current ability: 7 out of 10

Potential ability: 10 out of 10

OVERALL SCOUT RATING: 59/80

Current value: £4million

Potential value: £40million

Definetly has an exciting future. :D

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind selling Sagna also

Why so?

Why so?

Don't think he is all that.

I really wish players in general would comment on other players in the press, the guy at The Arsenal AST was spot on last night imo

Sagna was the best right back in the league this season.

Year in year out he is nearly always our most dependable player you can trust to put in a shift.

How are we supposed to progress if we get rid of our best players? :confused:

Don't think he is all that.

I really wish players in general would comment on other players in the press, the guy at The Arsenal AST was spot on last night imo

And replace him with who? Hes the best right back in the league imo

Hate players talking in the press aswell but Id always take it with a pinch of salt as words can be twisted very easily.

• Advertisement

And replace him with who? Hes the best right back in the league imo

Hate players talking in the press aswell but Id always take it with a pinch of salt as words can be twisted very easily.

True, just getting pissed off each summer, the same stuff over and over again :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

What did Sagna say that wasn't true. Barca are the best team in the world, possibly the greatest team ever. Any player would be mad to turn down an opportunity to play in that team, especially if they come from the Catalan.

Lets just ignore all that logical thinking though, and sell one of our better players to satisfy our egotistical thinking that every player should only ever want to play for us.

Quazzie wrote: »
    What did Sagna say that wasn't true. Barca are the best team in the world, possibly the greatest team ever. Any player would be mad to turn down an opportunity to play in that team, especially if they come from the Catalan.

Lets just ignore all that logical thinking though, and sell one of our better players to satisfy our egotistical thinking that every player should only ever want to play for us.

In fairness I never said that, I have absolutely no problem with Cesc wanting to play for Barcelona, but the constant media drip of quotes from players is getting extremely tiresome, and to be honest I don't expect our own to join in also.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

Young Guns put a status up on their Facebook.
    Gervinho deal set to be completed in next 48 hours. Fee around €12m. A step in the right direction for Arsenal.

So we'll know in the next few days weather it's true or not.

Young Guns put a status up on their Facebook.

So we'll know in the next few days weather it's true or not.

£12 million would be a reasonable price. Seems to be a very versatile player that could probably play across the front 3. A good goal record for Lille as well as he was apparently playing alot of games on the wing.

Just wondering if any of you guys watched the AST meeting on the Arsenal player? Any thoughts ?

Increase in ST prices certainly seemed to be an issue, interesting that Ivan did not dismiss safe standing areas.

Just wondering if any of you guys watched the AST meeting on the Arsenal player? Any thoughts ?

Increase in ST prices certainly seemed to be an issue, interesting that Ivan did not dismiss safe standing areas.

Just thought it was pretty standard. Fair play to him for coming out but was just diplomatic really. We didn't really learn anything and he more or less pleased everyone. I kinda like him tho.

In relation to the standing areas I was convinced it was a legal issue and he wouldn't have much control over it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Your very mean on not letting utd have Nasri

very mean :D

Just thought it was pretty standard. Fair play to him for coming out but was just diplomatic really. We didn't really learn anything and he more or less pleased everyone. I kinda like him tho.

In relation to the standing areas I was convinced it was a legal issue and he wouldn't have much control over it?

He certainly comes across very well, I would hope that we won't see any more increases in ST prices in the coming years after this years. One thing that did interest me was a possible plan regarding ticketing and technology, feel that this might have something to do with ticket exchange.

I thought the standing areas had a legal issue, surprised he didn't mention that, as you say, he was probably being diplomatic.

Headshot wrote: »
    Your very mean on not letting utd have Nasri

very mean :D

Straight swap for Vidic? ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement