Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Galvasean wrote: »
    I thought I read on the official website that Bartley had a transfer request accepted?

I definitely read it somewhere that Rangers were giving first refusal to sign him and he was keen also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

How come when Fabregas says he is happy to stay at Arsenal no one wants to talk about it?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13778733.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

How come when Fabregas says he is happy to stay at Arsenal no one wants to talk about it?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13778733.stm

Because there's a massive "but" at the end of his statement that indicates he'd happily leave if terms could be agreed between both parties!

EDIT: Just after reading the article you posted there, it comes across as alot more positive than the one I read. Not sure if I just skimmed that one now or not :confused: :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Some will say, well it is early days, yes it is but we have work to do and we need to get players in, improve the squad, the first team and change the squad dynamics a bit. Plus we have a champions league qualifier too. I think we mess about in the transfer market far too much. See the player or players you want, show your intent, pay good money for them and get the deals done.

Don’t wait around for cheap prices or cheap negotiating. Be swift and decisive
    It has been eight days. EIGHT DAYS. It is very early.

Anyone see, I think it was the mirror, reporting that Blackburn put in a 30 mil bid for Adebayor :eek:

And I think it was the Independant, that said that United's talks with Nasri have broken down. (?)

Even though this^ is probably bull, I think it seems more and more likely that Nasri and Fabregas are gonna stay. God, I hope so.

Nasri and Fab stay. Sign Hazard, Cahill, Samba and a few others.
    Fire Almunia, Denilson etc. into the sun on a big rocket ship.

Commence new golden age.... one that will never end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

KeithAFC wrote: »
    It is truly bizarre to me how Chelsea bid 22 million pounds for a player like Modric and yet we bid 16 million pounds for Jones, he goes to Man Utd, but we bid 16 million pounds for him. He is only a kid in football terms. And yet we aren’t bidding 22 million for Modric or a player with a similar like status?

I know we have many players of similar build and quality like Nasri or Fabregas or Wilshere but surely we should be showing a signal of intent that we are going to bid that sort of money on players like Modric? It is frankly bizarre how we obviously have cash to spend and are looking for players and yet we don’t bid for a player like Modric. Even if we don’t get him, it is the intent which is key.

To show we are in the transfer market and do mean business and be up blunt with our bids. For example, I have to question the speed of our transfer work so far, we have been linked with players like Gervinho and Cahill, Samba etc and fine but why haven’t we signed Cahill yet? Gervinho should already be an Arsenal player. We should of signed these guys by now.

We're not crying out for a Modric type player as much as we are a central defender

Negotiations between players, clubs and agents are complex affairs. People are always looking out for a better deal and it's still very early days. I imagine Wenger would be delighted to have all his transfer activity sorted but its not that easy.

I do like Modric, Willian etc. but another creative attacking midfielder is not what we really need. Defenders and some competition for Song at DM strike me as much more imminent concerns.

Nasri and Fab stay. Sign Hazard, Cahill, Samba and a few others.
    Fire Almunia, Denilson etc. into the sun on a big rocket ship.

Commence new golden age.... one that will never end.
    Do I feel the pre-season optimism coming on?

This will be our year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Gervinho deal all but done apparently and to be announced before Sunday.

Very 'Meh' towards it. Not the type of signing that will convince Nasri and Cesc we're serious about winning the league next year and I don't think he's much better than what we already have.

No way Lille will let Hazard go now either, which is disappointing.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Gervinho deal all but done apparently and to be announced before Sunday.

Very 'Meh' towards it. Not the type of signing that will convince Nasri and Cesc we're serious about winning the league next year and I don't think he's much better than what we already have.

At least he's more suited to playing out on the wing - unlike Bendtner !

• Advertisement

True, I'd rather a player who would reduce Walcott to a bench player as opposed to someone around the same level of him.

Do I feel the pre-season optimism coming on?

feigned optimism.

One will shall never end!

66/1 for us to win the league and Carlin cup double.
    1/4 to end the season trophyless...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

66/1 for us to win the league and Carlin cup double.
    1/4 to end the season trophyless...

Nice to see the optimism is spreading to the bookies ;)

True, I'd rather a player who would reduce Walcott to a bench player as opposed to someone around the same level of him.

I've seen very little of him so I can't really comment. 15 goals playing from his position is a decent return though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

fcuk it anyway. i don't want Gervinho, as I said already he is the exact type of player we would buy any other season and bound to lump more pressure on RVp.

We need bigger and better players and we have the money. I want Hazard and Higuain or something :(. I just have a feeling Gervinho isn't where we should be looking and is a bad sign for the club. We need 100% proven strikers in a top league.

Not gonna happen tho and then we will lose our 2 best players and the bookies know it and we will all be heartbroken again.

As you can see I'm having a bad day at the office!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Anybody else get the feeling that if Nasri and Fabregas stay, the only signings this summer will be Gervinho and Samba? I think talk of Willian is only out there as a contingency plan if Nasri leave. Have to also echo the comments of a few on here about Gervinho - I don't French league but his goalscoring record and the standard of the other teams that were looking for him suggest a slightly better version of Chamakh. I suppose that means the Benzema rumours won't come to fruition now :(

On a happier note, at least if Samba and Gervinho are done then it's two better options in two problem positions for us

EDIT: Just seen that Gervinho had 18 goals and 10 assists last season. That's actually better than I had thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

fcuk it anyway. i don't want Gervinho, as I said already he is the exact type of player we would buy any other season and bound to lump more pressure on RVp.

We need bigger and better players and we have the money. I want Hazard and Higuain or something :(. I just have a feeling Gervinho isn't where we should be looking and is a bad sign for the club. We need 100% proven strikers in a top league.

Not gonna happen tho and then we will lose our 2 best players and the bookies know it and we will all be heartbroken again.

As you can see I'm having a bad day at the office!

Relax. :D

My thinking about goes like this.

1: Cesc is going nowhere. Barca don't need him, and can't really afford him because they've bigger fish to fry. Arsenal want to keep him, and don't need the money so we're going to assume he stays.

2: If I'm right about what just went before, then spending a load of money on a big name striker would be idiotic. Cesc staying means we simply have to persist with 4-3-3 because there's no other system that could accommodate Cesc, or more to be point, both Cesc and Wilshire. So basically we could spend loads on Higuain but he'd have to sit on the bench until RVP got injured. So fro the moment, Gervinho is just a squad player who might turn into something more. I'd say he's basically there to take Bendtner's place.

3: I'd love Hazard but you've the problem of position again. He'd occupy the same position as Walcott and Nasri in 4-3-3. Don't get me wrong, I'd love him but is it worth blowing a huge portion of our transfer budget on a position we more or less have covered.

4: Given all of that, wouldn't you rather Wenger went out and spend loads of money on a big name DFM, CB and LB?

gosplan wrote: »
    3: I'd love Hazard but you've the problem of position again. He'd occupy the same position as Walcott and Nasri in 4-3-3. Don't get me wrong, I'd love him but is it worth blowing a huge portion of our transfer budget on a position we more or less have covered.

Walcott is not good enough to start for us. We should have brought in someone to relegate him to a bench player / impact sub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭beer enigma

A 2 year contract? He'll be looking for more than that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Andip wrote: »

I think this ones a bit of a none starter, could never see him moving to Arsenal this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I think I would happily sacrifice some very valuable body parts to see this happen :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

What a statement of intent though if we bought Eto'o but alas we all know it won't happen. I've a feeling one way or another Nasri will be with us for one more season. If it means running down the last year of his contract then so be it. AW will then take up our option on Hazard.

Not a hope we'll be getting Eto'o.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    Relax. :D

4: Given all of that, wouldn't you rather Wenger went out and spend loads of money on a big name DFM, CB and LB?

3. Do you not remember the end of our season? Our wing-attacking was down right AWFUL. Wave after Wave of crap attacks.

4. I'd like those position filled along with Winger.

On a different note, Barça have just said that they will NOT pay more than 40 million EURO (35 million pound) for Fabregas.

Sounds like Cesc is staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Well thats good news, Cesc is going nowhere.

Now lets go build on that and secure some players that show we've got ambition. Build on the Jenkinson signing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

So its not Willan were after but Doulas Costa
    We offered denelision plus cash, put they wanted only cash
    Cant really blame them there.

On a different note, Barça have just said that they will NOT pay more than 40 million EURO (35 million pound) for Fabregas.

Sounds like Cesc is staying.[/QUOTE]

I still think that saga has a long way to go yet. Wouldnt be too confident in saying he is staying just yet!

I still think that saga has a long way to go yet. Wouldnt be too confident in saying he is staying just yet!

They need to offer £50m (€57m) at least. If they wanted to pay less, I'd consider £33m (€38), Bojan & Thiago. Otherwise they'll have to wait anoter year to be honest!

• Advertisement

Thats exactly the offer been thrown around £35million + thiago & bogan

The article quoted Barca's president as saying something like "We offered 35 million last year, there has been wear and tear since then so we think the price should be lowered"

Optimistic :pac:

Thats exactly the offer been thrown around £35million + thiago & bogan

Last I saw was €30 and those two, that's about €10m short and even then I think we're not getting the best deal possible!

L'prof wrote: »
    Last I saw was €30 and those two, that's about €10m short and even then I think we're not getting the best deal possible!

i agree the best deal is 50 million straight up

Surprised no one has mentioned Seb Larsson being linked with a return to Arsenal. I would love to see him return on a free because, in my opinion, we never should have let him go.

Seb Larrsons father came out and said were interested in him.
    Another one that im hoping is bull

Mentioned it earlier dont like it been honest

Surprised no one has mentioned Seb Larsson being linked with a return to Arsenal. I would love to see him return on a free because, in my opinion, we never should have let him go.

I don't think he's good enough to be honest, decent player all the same though!

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

He's an excellent free-kick taker and has wonderful crossing when on song. Works extremely hard too (would give Sagna the cover he desperately needs). Would give up some options at least, especially if Chamakh was playing. We don't have a good crosser of the ball in the team.

Sign him up imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Tbh, Id be happy enough with Larsson as a squad player. He works extremly hard, has alot of fight, has a great set piece and a good crosser of the ball.

L'prof wrote: »
    I don't think he's good enough to be honest, decent player all the same though!
    Put him up against Arshavin and I'll take Seb any day of the week, exactly for the reasons mentioned by x Pyro.
    Our wide play is sh*t, our crossing is sh*t and our work ethic is sh*t.
    This player will improve all three. And it will suit Wenger as it won't cost him a penny. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

A few of the UK papers now linking Defoe

Wouldn't mind Defoe, think he would score a bucket load of goals for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Main reason he won't end up with us is because he would demand massive wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Main reason he won't end up with us is because he would demand massive wages.
    According to SSN he says he wants to come and is willing to take a paycut to play in the EPL

Know what I'm looking forward to?

A cold Monday night in January at the Britannia when Chamakh and Gervinho have píssed off to the ACN and RVP's ankle has disintegrated so we have to play with Ramsey up front.

Our first 5 games:

Newcastle (A)
    Liverpool (H)
    United (A)
    Swansea (H)
    Blackburn (A)

Our last 5 games:

Wigan (H)
    Chelsea (H)
    Stoke (A)
    Norwich (H)
    West Brom (A)

We play Spurs away at the start of October and at home at the end of February

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Our first 5 games:

Newcastle (A)
    Liverpool (H)
    United (A)
    Swansea (H)
    Blackburn (A)

Our last 5 games:

Wigan (H)
    Chelsea (H)
    Stoke (A)
    Norwich (H)
    West Brom (A)

We play Spurs away at the start of October and at home at the end of February

Tough Start. But at least the trip to Old Trafford will be out of the way early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Villa, Wolves, QPR and Fulham over the Xmas/New year period isn't that bad though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Our last 5 games:

Wigan (H)
    Chelsea (H)
    Stoke (A)
    Norwich (H)
    West Brom (A)

Nice a handy run in at the end that we can't feck up, unlike this years run in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Nice to see Champions League qualifying matches in between the Liverpool and United games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Walcott is not good enough to start for us. We should have brought in someone to relegate him to a bench player / impact sub.
    3. Do you not remember the end of our season? Our wing-attacking was down right AWFUL. Wave after Wave of crap attacks.

Agree with both to a point.

Frisbee:

I think Walcott needs to make more strides forward or he will ultimately be just an impact sub. This season he was good when our tails were up and had made decent progress, especially with his finishing, but when we fell apart towards the end of the season, he fell away along with everyone else.

However, with Nasri and he competing for one position, I think we should really be looking for the big signings elsewhere. I'd like to see Arshavin either go or be competing with a fast, left footed winger(Gervinho fits that description if I'm not mistaken). So, if the rumours are to be believed, now we have Arshavin/Gervinho for one side and Waclott/Nasri for the other. That's a good mix of pace and craft on each wing and, in theory, if passing it through the opposition doesn't work, we should be able to add Chamakh and play a proper 4-4-2.

If Nasri were to go, we should instantly move for Hazard but if he were to stay I can't see the sense it it at the moment. Say we've got 50 million to spend, he'd probably cost at least half it and you'd be adding him to an attack that was the second best in the league last year. I know that stat lies a bit and we struggled to break down a lot of defences last season but I firmly believe that the personnel currently at the club (adding a left winger who can go outside and cross it) are good enough going forward. I hope that either Nasri goes and we get Hazard or Nasri stays, runs down his contract and we sign a pre-contract to get the guy next year. However, if Nasri signs a new deal then it'd be foolish to spend so much money on that area of the pitch when we have more pressing concerns.

ImpossibleDuck:

Our wing attacking was awful at the end of last season, however so was everyone's play apart from RVP. In my view, we either have to replace half the squad or tackle the leadership issues.

On that issue, I'd be interested in Paddy Vieira on a free. He wouldn't at all play the same role he did years ago but Man City used him really well this season - ahead with about 20 minutes to go, take a striker/winger off and put Vieira on, think they did that about 9/10 times and they pretty much always held on to their lead. Obviously that's more to do with the rest of the City team but we're currently attempting to use Diaby in the same way which isn't working at all. I think Diaby and Denilson come on and are preoccupied with trying to impress and too worried about making a mistake. Whatever about him not being the player he was, Vieira has nothing to prove to anyone and would never be a liability to have around in the final few minutes of a game. Essentially, what I'm saying is that an old head playing the Diaby/Denilson role in our squad would be much better than a 20-year-old. Chelsea used Ballack much like this in his final season there to great effect.

I've no idea who else Wenger could sign for the DMF position which needs strengthening so so badly. I seriously won't be happy with anyone under-25 who hasn't won a few trophies and been captain at some point. The names I'm thinking of are De Rossi, Cambiasso, Mascherano, Essien, etc. All practically impossible to get though. That's kind of what I'm getting at when I say Hazard would be a waste of money because in my view we're really going to need it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement