Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

gosplan wrote: »
    Agree with both to a point.

Frisbee:

I think Walcott needs to make more strides forward or he will ultimately be just an impact sub. This season he was good when our tails were up and had made decent progress, especially with his finishing, but when we fell apart towards the end of the season, he fell away along with everyone else.

However, with Nasri and he competing for one position, I think we should really be looking for the big signings elsewhere. I'd like to see Arshavin either go or be competing with a fast, left footed winger(Gervinho fits that description if I'm not mistaken). So, if the rumours are to be believed, now we have Arshavin/Gervinho for one side and Waclott/Nasri for the other. That's a good mix of pace and craft on each wing and, in theory, if passing it through the opposition doesn't work, we should be able to add Chamakh and play a proper 4-4-2.

If Nasri were to go, we should instantly move for Hazard but if he were to stay I can't see the sense it it at the moment. Say we've got 50 million to spend, he'd probably cost at least half it and you'd be adding him to an attack that was the second best in the league last year. I know that stat lies a bit and we struggled to break down a lot of defences last season but I firmly believe that the personnel currently at the club (adding a left winger who can go outside and cross it) are good enough going forward. I hope that either Nasri goes and we get Hazard or Nasri stays, runs down his contract and we sign a pre-contract to get the guy next year. However, if Nasri signs a new deal then it'd be foolish to spend so much money on that area of the pitch when we have more pressing concerns.

ImpossibleDuck:

Our wing attacking was awful at the end of last season, however so was everyone's play apart from RVP. In my view, we either have to replace half the squad or tackle the leadership issues.

On that issue, I'd be interested in Paddy Vieira on a free. He wouldn't at all play the same role he did years ago but Man City used him really well this season - ahead with about 20 minutes to go, take a striker/winger off and put Vieira on, think they did that about 9/10 times and they pretty much always held on to their lead. Obviously that's more to do with the rest of the City team but we're currently attempting to use Diaby in the same way which isn't working at all. I think Diaby and Denilson come on and are preoccupied with trying to impress and too worried about making a mistake. Whatever about him not being the player he was, Vieira has nothing to prove to anyone and would never be a liability to have around in the final few minutes of a game. Essentially, what I'm saying is that an old head playing the Diaby/Denilson role in our squad would be much better than a 20-year-old. Chelsea used Ballack much like this in his final season there to great effect.

I've no idea who else Wenger could sign for the DMF position which needs strengthening so so badly. I seriously won't be happy with anyone under-25 who hasn't won a few trophies and been captain at some point. The names I'm thinking of are De Rossi, Cambiasso, Mascherano, Essien, etc. All practically impossible to get though. That's kind of what I'm getting at when I say Hazard would be a waste of money because in my view we're really going to need it.

What about Scott Parker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

I would second Vieira coming back, but more of a player/coach role. If the rumours of Wenger not spending that much time on defensive training, then we need someone to step in there and do it.

I don't think Parker would be the answer. We really need a "nutter" type player back in the team to increase the agression levels, like Keown/Bould/Vieira used to do for us. No disrespect to Cesc, but an old-fashioned proper captain. Someone to shout at them in the last 30 minutes of the match to keep the focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Why would people want Vieira back when all he has even done since he left the club has criticized how it is run, and claim that the club held back his career. Leave the prick where is imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Newcastle V Arsenal first game of the season. I've no doubt ye are all quaking in your boots. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

The amount of people who want Vieira back as a coach amazes me. He has absolutely no coaching experience. How would he be a good coach?!
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Newcastle V Arsenal first game of the season. I've no doubt ye are all quaking in your boots. :pac:

We just need to score 5 before HT this time and make sure not to start Diaby...

Quazzie wrote: »
    Why would people want Vieira back when all he has even done since he left the club has criticized how it is run, and claim that the club held back his career. Leave the prick where is imo.

To be fair to him some of the criticism is right and needs to be said. 6 years without a trophy, completely collapsing at the end of the season, younger players on massive contracts and not justifying the wages they are being paid.

I would pay to have Vieira come in and slap Diaby/Denilson around!!
    Frisbee wrote:
    The amount of people who want Vieira back as a coach amazes me. He has absolutely no coaching experience. How would he be a good coach?!

He as to start somewhere doesnt he? Same with Bould/Bergkamp. I think he would make a great coach. If we can give so many young players there premiership starts, why not the same with a coach?

Frisbee wrote: »

IS that a known fact.

Would coming in and passing on his experience of playing even if its just talking to players on the training field be some sort of coaching.

Diddy Kong wrote: »
    He as to start somewhere doesnt he? Same with Bould/Bergkamp. I think he would make a great coach. If we can give so many young players there premiership starts, why not the same with a coach?

Let him start with the u18's or the Academy then.

Coaches need to be good at thier job to work at Arsenal, we can't afford to let someone blood themselves with our first team just because they are a club legend.
    Deise Tom wrote: »
    IS that a known fact.

Would coming in and passing on his experience of playing even if its just talking to players on the training field be some sort of coaching.

There is plenty of coaches with more experience with Vieira that actually have some coaching pedigree who could do the same.

People are being blinded by the fact he was a good player for us. Bringing him back as a coach won't bring back the glory days.

The only positive about playing you lot first is that you may have a tough CL qualifier either side of this fixture.

Wishful thinking anyway. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

What about Scott Parker

Good guy to have around but not ultimately the answer to our needs.

In short, Meh.

Actually, adding Scott Parker and Vieira would be OK if we can't find someone really top drawer. You could see us being one or two goals ahead in a match and suddenly we can make a substitution or two and have Parker, Vieira, Song and Wilshire/Fab in front of the defence. Play Walcott and RVP up top to counter and that's how to close out a match. i.e. the total opposite of bringing on Bendtner and Diaby/Denilson.

Arsenal need some tough players and some tough performances because they've given themselves a very counterproductive reputation. Teams 2 or 3 goals down to Man U understandably take their foot off the gas and make life easy for their opponents. I'm not saying Man U get an easy ride, it's just that they're a really tough team to come back against, everyone knows that, it's the truth and they've earned it. Arsenal on the other hand are going into a season where their opponents will never stop trying and never lose belief until the final whistle. I worry that this Arsenal squad aren't prepared for that. A couple of experienced tough tackling leaders who actually enjoy the fight would be a huge help.

(Also, I've a feeling Diaby is going to stay so we need as many people as possible between him and the first team as possible.)

The only positive about playing you lot first is that you may have a tough CL qualifier either side of this fixture.

Wishful thinking anyway. :)

We play you on the Saturday and then have the first leg on either the Tuesday or Wednesday.

Then the second leg is between the Pool and United games :(

We play you on the Saturday and then have the first leg on either the Tuesday or Wednesday.

Then the second leg is between the Pool and United games :(

Ah my bad. Completely miscalculated that.

Awesome, Newcastle/Liverpool/United first three. Would rather face good teams early doors as we usually start pretty well.

August
    13 Newcastle (A)
    20 Liverpool (H)
    27 Man Utd (A)

After that, September is nice

September
    10 Swansea (H)
    17 Blackburn (A)
    24 Bolton (H)

October is tough

October
    1 Tottenham (A)
    15 Sunderland (H)
    22 Stoke (H)
    29 Chelsea (A)

Importantly, we've a very friendly Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb

November
    5 West Brom (H)
    19 Norwich (A)
    26 Fulham (H)
    December
    3 Wigan (A)
    10 Everton (H)
    17 Man City (A)
    21 Aston Villa (A)
    26 Wolverhampton (H)
    31 QPR (H)
    January
    2 Fulham (A)
    14 Swansea (A)
    21 Man Utd (H)
    31 Bolton (A)
    February
    4 Blackburn (H)
    11 Sunderland (A)
    25 Tottenham (H)

If the team is doing well, only four out of 16 games that would worry. Perhaps Everton home and Villa away under McLeish as well.

From there on it's a mixed bag but four out of the last six game are very friendly indeed

March
    3 Liverpool (A)
    10 Newcastle (H)
    17 Everton (A)
    24 Aston Villa (H)
    31 QPR (A)
    April
    7 Man City (H)
    9 Wolverhampton (A)
    14 Wigan (H)
    21 Chelsea (H)
    28 Stoke (A)
    May
    5 Norwich (H)
    13 West Brom (A)

Before everyone replies saying dream on, obviously my judgments of this are dependent on Arsenal conquering their own demons, otherwise there's points to be dropped everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

We just need to score 5 before HT this time and make sure not to start Diaby...

You can hardly blame Diaby - we were winning 4 - 0 when he left the game :pac:

greendom wrote: »

Never to be repeated. :(

Let him start with the u18's or the Academy then.

Coaches need to be good at thier job to work at Arsenal, we can't afford to let someone blood themselves with our first team just because they are a club legend.

Well I would be fine with that and then move Bould into working more with the first team. I think its been said before and the same last year. Its not just a change in players that is needed...a change in the background should be done also.

Look at United when Carlos Queiroz was there and then left and the issues they had and getting him back seemed the answer.

I think Pat Rice is a decent guy but I think he should have been allowed to retire this year and a different perspective brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

greendom wrote: »

Of course Diaby takes some of the blame. Getting stupidly sent off.

shano_88 wrote: »

sarcasm01.jpg

shano_88 wrote: »

Tiote-007.jpg

Sorry....

Seemingly Enrique wants Champions League football. At a guess: Clichy to Liverpool and Enrique to Arsenal?

• Advertisement

On the goalkeeping front, we're linked with Emiliano Viviano again. Second best goalie in Italy sounds like a good person to compete with Chesney for the spot.

So, we'd say bye bye to Al I guess and possibly Fabianski. No complaints there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Seemingly Enrique wants Champions League football. At a guess: Clichy to Liverpool and Enrique to Arsenal?

I'd take Enrique over Clichy most days of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Sky Bet has Nasri 4/9 to join United and worst of all,

Joey Barton 1/2 to join us.

On the goalkeeping front, we're linked with Emiliano Viviano again. Second best goalie in Italy sounds like a good person to compete with Chesney for the spot.

So, we'd say bye bye to Al I guess and possibly Fabianski. No complaints there.

Is he the Bolona keeper.

Is he the Bolona keeper.

No.

He plays for Bologna. :D

Barton 1/2 with SkyBet to join Arsenal... Mad.

He'd whip in a decent delivery mind.

Barton 1/2 with SkyBet to join Arsenal... Mad.

He'd whip in a decent delivery mind.

As much of a thug as he is, at least he'd add a bit of grit to the midfield. Having him let loose in London might be a problem though.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Sky Bet has Nasri 4/9 to join United and worst of all,

Joey Barton 1/2 to join us.

Just skybet targeting the idiots.

Lay like crazy on betfair if you can. Doubt anyone would take that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

gun__1248421119_ggg1.jpg

Of course there is no need for this besides my own spite. I felt the page could do with dome happiness besides that of that man Cheik Tiote!

Also can't see Enrique joining Arsenal. He just ain't our kinda player. That said I wouldn't be totally opposed to it.

Oh and if we sign Joey Barton I just give up altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Nwankwo Kanu has retired from the world of football today.
    http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/84/africa/2011/06/17/2536066/nwankwo-kanu-calls-it-quits-from-football-long-live-the

Also gonna put up the full highlights of this fine moment, was pretty special and Martin Tylers commentary was pretty good too! (Although skip the first 5 minutes if you want to get to the good parts :D).

Good memories!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

I loved Kanu's style on the ball. He looked clumsy but was far from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

As a Utd fan, I always though Kanu was a very good player and underrated. After all, you don't win all the medals he has unless you're a very good player. UEFA Cup, CL, PL, FA Cup, Eredivise and even an Olympic medal!

Oh and if we sign Joey Barton I just give up altogether. It must cause he has to move back in with Kevin Nolan or something!

Twas Carroll that had to live with Nolan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Great player, and a great example as well. Not many would carve out the career he had after having an aortic valve replaced!

Twas Carroll that had to live with Nolan.

yes indeed! excuse my ignorance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

4: Given

Arsenal to sign Given! :eek:

Selective quotations FTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Galvasean wrote: »
    Arsenal to sign Given! :eek:

Selective quotations FTW.

On a related note... The night of the Europa League final myself and a friend met Shay Given out in Dublin. My friend (Arsenal fan) drunkenly got in to asking him to sign for Arsenal, Shay said "believe you me, I've tried..Arsene told me he had no room for me" with a little puppy dog expression on his face. Bless.

maximoose wrote: »
    On a related note... The night of the Europa League final myself and a friend met Shay Given out in Dublin. My friend (Arsenal fan) drunkenly got in to asking him to sign for Arsenal, Shay said "believe you me, I've tried..Arsene told me he had no room for me" with a little puppy dog expression on his face. Bless.

Coppers that night, poor old Shay didn't know what was going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hi lads, I'm hearing Gordon's on his way to you.

He's not fit until October, but Wenger's very interested and will get him for about £3m or £4m I'd imagine considering he only has 1 year on his contract.

Sad to see him go if true, I really like him but he's on a big wage here, we need to cut the wage bill and selling Gordon will allow us to bring in 2 outfield players. We also have Kieren Westwood coming in.

He'll be a great signing for Arsenal if it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Someone just texted me to say he's heard we're preparing a bid for Joey Barton :eek: - hopefully its a wind up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Andip wrote: »
    Someone just texted me to say he's heard we're preparing a bid for Joey Barton :eek: - hopefully its a wind up

Potentially a very good signing, I just have my doubts as to whether he's copped on off the field.

Randall, Cruise and Deacon all released from the club.
    Alas I once had high hopes for Randall and Cruise. Tenner says at least one will score against Arsenal at some point in their pro careers.

If Paully's rumour is true (not saying you started it by the way Paully :pac:), Gordon could be a very good signing for you Gunners. I'd have concerns over his injury record, but on his day, he's unbeatable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Excuse my ignorance folks but whos this player Gordon?

If Paully's rumour is true (not saying you started it by the way Paully :pac:), Gordon could be a very good signing for you Gunners. I'd have concerns over his injury record, but on his day, he's unbeatable!

"Wanna bet?"
    gun__1278518613_koscielny01.jpg&sa=X&ei=4J37TfPzLqnl0QHSrJW1Aw&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFGHmVNTTWHyyQxXnpanI5QlDqEAA

"Wanna bet?"
    gun__1278518613_koscielny01.jpg&sa=X&ei=4J37TfPzLqnl0QHSrJW1Aw&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFGHmVNTTWHyyQxXnpanI5QlDqEAA
    Wha? :confused:

Wha? :confused:

I was implying that Arsenal's defense is so bad at times not even an unstoppable goalkeeper could keep a clean sheet for us.

I was implying that Arsenal's defense is so bad at times not even an unstoppable goalkeeper could keep a clean sheet for us.
    Ah get ya now... I thought I had missed Koscielny scoring v Sunderland or something :p

I lolled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Colinboy wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance folks but whos this player Gordon?

Craig Gordon, Sunderland's goalkeeper:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement