Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Looks like I'm going to miss 'em too. Bah, the Emirates Cup is usually worth catching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

I'm missing it to, hopefully someone will post highlights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Might catch the first half of the AC game and should hopefully see all the Sellik game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'll be watching, I'll try throw some highlights up on Sunday.

From arse.com:

"I wouldn’t like to give you any names,” Wenger said. “There are plenty of names that we consider and we analyse. We look at the financial possibilities and the technical potential. But it is impossible for me to come out with a name.

"We are still on the search because at the moment we only have three centre backs and we have seen last season you needed five. I believe we need at least four because we have some other players who can fill in this position but overall we are still on the search."

Hopefully whoever it is, they prove to be a good 'un. No hope we'll get 2 CBs unless 1 of them is a Silvestre, and I'd rather just see Nordtveit be CB #5 (or Song be #5, and Nordtveit #2 DM).

At least it looks like he knows we need to sign someone...

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-we-need-at-least-four-centre-backs
    Arsène Wenger is considering “plenty of names” as he bids to bring in another centre back before the start of the season.

Sol Campbell, William Gallas and Mikael Silvestre have departed since May with the manager adding only Laurent Koscielny from Lorient. Johan Djourou has returned after sitting out almost the entire 2009/10 campaign with injury. But, with Thomas Vermaelen, that makes only three established, experienced centre backs on the books.

Wenger admits that last season he needed five central defenders so he is looking to add one more at least before the transfer window shuts. But, for now, the Frenchman is remaining tight-lipped as to his targets.

"I wouldn’t like to give you any names,” he said. “There are plenty of names that we consider and we analyse. We look at the financial possibilities and the technical potential. But it is impossible for me to come out with a name.

"We are still on the search because at the moment we only have three centre backs and we have seen last season you needed five. I believe we need at least four because we have some other players who can fill in this position but overall we are still on the search."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

From arse.com:

"I wouldn’t like to give you any names,” Wenger said. “There are plenty of names that we consider and we analyse. We look at the financial possibilities and the technical potential. But it is impossible for me to come out with a name.

Hopefully whoever it is, they prove to be a good 'un. No hope we'll get 2 CBs unless 1 of them is a Silvestre, and I'd rather just see Nordtveit be CB #5 (or Song be #5, and Nordtveit #2 DM).

Well that clears that up, he's only gonna buy one more centre half and use Song as cover. And the one he buys will more than likely be a cheaper option.

Damn you Pepe....

Toooooo slooooooow, loooooooser!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Until 1 of the Barca players makes a statement to the effect that they want Fabregas to join the club so much that they have got a collective kitty together with say 50 - 60 million in the pot to purchase him from Arsenal they should just be ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

I dont like the way talk about a goal keeper has died down a hell of a lot Almunia and Flapianski again :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

gibson wrote: »
    I dont like the way talk about a goal keeper has died down a hell of a lot Almunia and Flapianski again :(
    Dont think i could stomach watching them 2 clowns in an arsenal shirt all season, wenger has lost the plot if he doesnt see the need to sign a GK but im not holding out much hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

If AW isn't going to sign anyone else then I say go for Wojciech Szczesny, I'm sure he won't be a complete disaster and if it works we won't have to worry about gk for the next 15 years :D !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

_Bella_ wrote: »
    If AW isn't going to sign anyone else then I say go for Wojciech Szczesny, I'm sure he won't be a complete disaster and if it works we won't have to worry about gk for the next 15 years :D !

He looked fantastic in League 1. Not sure about being the stopped for Arsenal now though. Does deserve a chance if he can keep up his form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Le King wrote: »
    He looked fantastic in League 1. Not sure about being the stopped for Arsenal now though. Does deserve a chance if he can keep up his form.

I think all he's saying is that since nobody else we currently looks the part either, so why the hell not. Personally, I think Wenger is looking to Fabianski!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

L'prof wrote: »
    I think all he's saying is that since nobody else we currently looks the part either, so why the hell not. Personally, I think Wenger is looking to Fabianski!

Dont say things like that, thats crazy talk!

shano_88 wrote: »
    Dont say things like that, thats crazy talk!

You're telling me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

greendom wrote: »
    Until 1 of the Barca players makes a statement to the effect that they want Fabregas to join the club so much that they have got a collective kitty together with say 50 - 60 million in the pot to purchase him from Arsenal they should just be ignored.

I really think as Arsenal captain, Cesc needs to publicly come out now and put an end to all this.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I really think as Arsenal captain, Cesc needs to publicly come out now and put an end to all this.

He will in his own time.

He will in his own time.

Hopefully Barcelona come up with a realistic offer and as far as I'm concerned he can go imo:(

If he wants to stay, he needs to come out now and say so.

• Advertisement

According to Aertel this morning, Arsenal are coming to Tallaght

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/227-01.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

According to Aertel this morning, Arsenal are coming to Tallaght

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/227-01.html

Ye, tickets on sale this morning. Managed to get a few. Think they work out as €17 a go. Match on August 22nd - Sunday.

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/180044FCA59D3276?artistid=962159&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=741

Hopefully Barcelona come up with a realistic offer and as far as I'm concerned he can go imo:(

If he wants to stay, he needs to come out now and say so.

Take a deep breath and think about this. We'd be absolutely fúckéd if Fabregas left this season. We need him badly, I'm generally not a fan of keeping players that don't want to stay, but in this instance he's not exactly forcing his way out of the club. He knows he's under contract and I don't think he'll leave unless we get a big offer and are prepared to sell. If, and that's a big if, we go on to win something this season, anything, he might even be happy to stay for longer.

Don't like Wengers comments today back to the old speech of depending on youngsters and giving them time to grow. He said either end of last season or during the summer that we needed experience but yet he back tracks and says something different.

I'd love Wenger to say nothing about our transfers or our title chances until the transfer window is open. Keeps harping on saying we were in such a good position at April only 2 points off. The reason we let that slip was quality and experience. yes we had some injures but United had to play Carrick at centre back for a few matches due to a lot of injures in central defence, but they still managed a decent title challenge until the end of the season.

I think its Wengers stubbornness that frustrates fans most and probably why there are some calling for his head. If he at least held his hands up and said ok this isnt working we got slaughtered by some teams last year lets make sure it doesnt happen again, I think nobody would question him.

Anyway on a more positive note Arsenal back on Sky Sports today :D

Gonna grab a few tickets for the Arsenal/Rovers game. Even if it is the reserves there'll be one or two recognisable faces I'm sure.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Shocking work rate my eye. Denilson is one of the hardest workers in the team. He's like Gilberto before him in that he covers ground pro-actively rather than reactively and tends to be in the right place, rather than a lot of 'ball winners' who are in the wrong place but then look good determinedly charging into the right place. Denilson isn't flashy but he's one of the better pass and move players in the team, better than Frimpong, Diaby and others at least, and Wenger likes him because he balances both attacking and defensive duties well. You're right that technique isn't the be-all and end-all, but it's damn important. Positional discipline is also damn important, and it's criminally underrated. Inter - Barca in the last CL was a master-class of it.

2008/9 Denilson (3,074 minutes)

Tackles won (includes aerial): 148 (average 4 per game)
    Tackles lost: 81 (average 2 per game)
    Pass interceptions: 146 (average 4 per game)
    Accurate passes: 2,009 (average 59 per game)
    Bad passes: 238 (average 7 per game)
    Assists: 7
    Goals: 3

2007/8 Flamini (2,665 minutes)

Tackles won: 102 (average 3.4 per game)
    Tackles lost: 56 (average 1.9 per game)
    Pass interceptions: 57 (average 1.9 per game)
    Accurate passes: 1,321 (average 44.6 per game)
    Bad passes: 100 (average 3.4 per game)
    Assists 2
    Goals 1

Bad passes: 238 (average 7 per game)

In your strange analysis this statistic stick out like a sore thumb. For a player like Denilson who is meant to do the "simple things well", that statistic is disgraceful.

On average 7 bad passes away per game? 238 in one season?

Shocking, lower league stuff.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Don't waste your time. We've made the Denilson argument before, backed up with stats, and DB10 just buggers off without responding. No doubt he'll pop up in a few weeks having ignored it all again and just say that "Denilson is crap. Can't believe he wasn't sold."

He is rubbish, even the statistics can't defend him as seen above.

2 seasons of him having regular football and he has been an abject failure. He needs to got to low level La Liga sides where he might look half decent.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Don't waste your time. We've made the Denilson argument before, backed up with stats, and DB10 just buggers off without responding. No doubt he'll pop up in a few weeks having ignored it all again and just say that "Denilson is crap. Can't believe he wasn't sold."

He's not crap, but is he good enough to play regularly for us? At the moment, no. I'd like to see him make that improvement though as he's a likeable chap and works very hard.

I can't understand why anyone would want Denilson gone. We all saw what happened last year when injuries struck, we were decimated and had people playing out of position.

No-one should be sold this summer, except maybe one of Almunia/Fabianski.

• Advertisement

DB10 wrote: »

What were you expecting though? Same crap. different season really.
    Wenger wrote:
    Do I think we have a team to play at the top? Looking at the players we have, yes.

Financial consideration does not come into it. I judge whether the players are good enough in the championship.

It is whether the clubs have better players or lesser players and we can compete with the players we have.

You look at our squad and we have two internationals in every position.

We have to remind ourselves we decided to go with a very young team three or four years ago and we have developed this team. I believe that two years ago we were quite far but last year in April we were two points away from the top.

Normally we should be closer again because that development is part of a young team.

I know that in England when you do not win the championship it’s always about buying but what is important is that we improve individually and as a team because we are a very young team.

We are not a team that is at the end of a cycle, we are at the start of a cycle. So our future will be decided not by who we buy or need but as well by how much we improve.

Ideally yes. We have lost Silvestre, Campbell and Gallas and have only signed Koscielny. (Johan) Djourou is coming back so you could say we have got two but are still two short. There will be more teams fighting for the title next season.

It makes it more interesting and open as well – we have seen the start of that last season as well, all of the top teams lost points against the second part of the Premier League.

That trend could even become stronger. There are the three who dominated last year, then you have Spurs, Liverpool, Manchester City, Aston Villa and you also have one team who is a surprise at the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I suppose Wenger has to come out and say that we can win with the current squad. Positive thinking and all that. Deep down he knows,or should know that without a new keeper and at least 1 CB we're gonna struggle. If we start the season with either Fabianski or Almunia in goal and one of them drops the inevitable clanger that they will then Wenger will be under severe pressure,pressure only brought on by himself.

That being said,i'm still hopeful that he'll bring in a new keeper and a CB.

lord lucan wrote: »
    I suppose Wenger has to come out and say that we can win with the current squad. Positive thinking and all that. Deep down he knows,or should know that without a new keeper and at least 1 CB we're gonna struggle. If we start the season with either Fabianski or Almunia in goal and one of them drops the inevitable clanger that they will then Wenger will be under severe pressure,pressure only brought on by himself.

That being said,i'm still hopeful that he'll bring in a new keeper and a CB.

I'd be pleasantly surprised.

Moved all the match posts into a dedicated match thread lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

He is rubbish, even the statistics can't defend him as seen above.

Come on, you're better than that. If you're going to address the statistics then address them properly and don't just use excerpts to grind your anti-Denilson axe.

7 bad passes per game but he passes more than Flamini so what you should be reading is an 10.6% chance of a pass going astray(Flamini's was 7%). I don't think that's a damning statistic and if it is, then a few of our players produce 'lower league stuff'.

BTW Cesc had a passing accuracy close to 80% in the same year.

I'm not saying Denilson is great or that I'm delighted he's going to be on the teamsheet for the big games but your argument here is very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Frisbee wrote: »
    Gonna grab a few tickets for the Arsenal/Rovers game. Even if it is the reserves there'll be one or two recognisable faces I'm sure.

Snapped up 3 tickets this morning. Anyone else going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭patrickc

Galvasean wrote: »
    Snapped up 3 tickets this morning. Anyone else going?

yeh picked up 2 myself there

gosplan wrote: »
    Come on, you're better than that. If you're going to address the statistics then address them properly and don't just use excerpts to grind your anti-Denilson axe.

7 bad passes per game but he passes more than Flamini so what you should be reading is an 10.6% chance of a pass going astray(Flamini's was 7%). I don't think that's a damning statistic and if it is, then a few of our players produce 'lower league stuff'.

BTW Cesc had a passing accuracy close to 80% in the same year.

I'm not saying Denilson is great or that I'm delighted he's going to be on the teamsheet for the big games but your argument here is very poor.

I agree, to pick on an 89.4% pass completion rate is laughable to be honest!

• Advertisement

Arsene on Emirates Cup, Fabregas, young players and more
    On whether today's game was the workout he expected...
    "Completely, it was a good test for us. We came back from a hard-working [training] camp and you could see some legs were not completely refreshed and recovered. But what was good is that it was a good test for the players we've brought in and the young players and overall for the team. We struggled a bit in the last 20 minutes because we shuffled the team around a little bit, but overall for 70 minutes we looked solid defensively and dangerous going forward."

On Marouane Chamakh's Emirates Stadium debut...
    "He had a good first game. He had a good presence and intelligence and I believe him and Koscielny did well."

On whether the two new boys have the ‘Arsenal' mould...
    "We wanted a player up front who could play for the team, works hard and can play in different combinations. At the back we were looking for somebody who is calm, can play out from the back and read the game well. Of course it's only one game but their attitude in training is very good and they can only improve."

On the goalkeeping situation...
    "Almunia will play tomorrow. Fabianski did well today, you can't fault him for the goal and he did everything else well. The only thing is there wasn't much command on the free kick [which led to the goal]. From the outside it looked as if no-one took charge of the organisation and that's a little bit down to goalkeeper. But overall he had a good game."

On the point that the back five could be quite unfamiliar with each other...
    "It is a concern because we want to be defensively solid. The six players that played today looked solid defensively. When I say it's a concern, there was lack of communication on the free kick, not a lack of quality."

On continued Mark Schwarzer rumours...
    "There are a lot of things I don't master in football and the rumours are one of these things."

On Emmanuel Frimpong and Jack Wilshere's performances...
    "It's very positive for Arsenal that two 18-year-old players did well in battles against more experienced players. Of course sometimes they have a lack of experience but they both have individual qualities and are fighters. They are not scared of anybody, they put their foot in and really good for it in challenges, in a good way."

On whether he will send Wilshere out on loan again...
    "I think I will keep him. He was at Bolton and they wanted to keep him again and I'm sure if I went out looking, I could find clubs. It's difficult to say how many games he will play because it depends on injuries, which you can't plan around. Also you don't want to give a restricted target to a player. He can play wide and in the middle, behind the striker and also deep, which is interesting. He should get a few games."

On Celtic's line-up tomorrow...
    "I don't expect them to play with their best 11 because they have a decisive Champions League game next week. It will be tough for them but they have to try. Though it won't affect my team selection. I will have to consult the medical department tomorrow and I may have to protect a few but I will play my strongest team."

On Aaron Ramsay's recovery...
    "He started to have a very little jog last week but no ball work as of yet. Short term he will not be available, he will be available again this season but if he is back in November he will have done well. Let's count three months from today."

On reports he recently met with Cesc Fabregas...
    "I cannot confirm nor deny anything. In the last six months, this story has made our lives difficult. At the moment, what is important is that when Cesc comes back, that he comes out. For me, I have nothing more to add. The conversations with the players have to be private because I cannot come out every time I speak with a player."

On whether Arsenal's players are fed up with the Fabregas speculation...
    "Well in fairness I said many times the noises come back a lot from Spain and are translated here. I believe it is in the interest of the Premier League that all the big clubs keep their best players and for the reputation of the Premier League [it is important that] the best players play in this country."

On whether Barcelona have a case to answer on allegations of ‘tapping-up'...
    "They [Barcelona] certainly have a case to answer, but it is always the same - how can you prove it?"

On Carles Puyol's recent comments...
    "Puyol is responsible for his own statements, which is why I have said before that only Fabregas can clear the air when he comes back from holiday. Puyol has to look after his own affairs and leave the rest to Cesc Fabregas."

On whether he will 'put Fabregas on show' when he returns...
    "[He returns on] August 5. There is no show. There is football. The only show in football is to play good football in the matches. Cesc does that as well as everybody else. What can I say about that? I cannot master what is written in the newspapers, I can only master our decisions and that is it. Cesc has five years to go and that is it."

On why he feels Fabregas has to come out and clear the air...
    "Because the speculation does not stop. Who can stop the speculation? Only Cesc maybe, I don't know, maybe not even Cesc. But that is how I feel. We cannot go into a season where everyday you read about that. He has not played today and I sit here and speak about Fabregas.

On reports that Barcelona won't give up on Fabregas until the transfer window closes...
    "Barcelona has given up for a long time. Who is Barca? You say to me 'Barca has not given up', what does that mean? Who is the person who says they do not give up? The newspapers? The newspapers do not make those decisions. I told you yesterday what will happen - Fabregas will stay here."

On whether his thinking is influenced by the home-grown player rule...
    "I play the players I believe have the quality. We have, not by coincidence but by hard work, a good English generation. Today you did not see Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, who has quality. That is why I play them - because they are good, not because of the rule. I gave Wilshere to Bolton last year and Frimpong played well in pre-season, that is why I played him. It is not linked with the rule. Players like Fabregas, for example, are home-grown."

On whether Emmanuel Frimpong is likely to go on loan...
    "No. I want to keep him."

On France Under-19s' victory at the European Championships and if that avenges the French World Cup performance...
    "I congratulate the Under-19 team. But I do not think that makes up for what happened during the World Cup! That will take a bit more to save our reputation and restore it."

interesting what he says about the goalkeeping. PLEASE GET US A GOOD KEEPER!

Take a deep breath and think about this. We'd be absolutely fúckéd if Fabregas left this season. We need him badly, I'm generally not a fan of keeping players that don't want to stay, but in this instance he's not exactly forcing his way out of the club. He knows he's under contract and I don't think he'll leave unless we get a big offer and are prepared to sell. If, and that's a big if, we go on to win something this season, anything, he might even be happy to stay for longer.

As Wenger said today only he can clear the air and he needs to imo

As Wenger said today only he can clear the air and he needs to imo

And he will, in his own time!

And he will, in his own time!

Constant quotes and speculation is not helpful to the team and is very frustrating for supporters with the cost of st etc..the quotes could easily be stopped by a phone call or two.

I'm sure if he stays he will give 100%, will be interesting to see how he is remembered though in years to come

Constant quotes and speculation is not helpful to the team and is very frustrating for supporters with the cost of st etc..the quotes could easily be stopped by a phone call or two.

I'm sure if he stays he will give 100%, will be interesting to see how he is remembered though in years to come

Fondly.

Interesting that Wenger played 4-4-2 yesterday wonder if he will do the same today. If so maybe there's a return to 4-4-2 after all

• Advertisement

Interesting that Wenger played 4-4-2 yesterday wonder if he will do the same today. If so maybe there's a return to 4-4-2 after all

What? We played 4-3-3 yesterday..

What? We played 4-3-3 yesterday..

Sky had us lined up as 4-4-2 which it basically was

Arshavin playing behind Chamakh and starting midfield of Rosicky Frimpong Wilshere Nasri

Dont think we played 4-3-3 yesterday didnt really look like it. Look where Arshavin was for the goal, ran from pretty deep and slotted in Chamakh

Sky had us lined up as 4-4-2 which it basically was

Then we were most certainly 4-3-3. I think they lined us up as a 4-4-2 all last year with ridiculous things like Nasri playing as a striker.

From what I could see it was certainly a 4-3-3

Then we were most certainly 4-3-3. I think they lined us up as a 4-4-2 all last year with ridiculous things like Nasri playing as a striker.

From what I could see it was certainly a 4-3-3

Maybe it was ye its true Sky mess it up a lot! Just thought there seemed to be more of a front 2 rather than a front 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

ha ha i cant believe someone seen sky put up 4 4 2 and took that arous formation.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement