Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Team for today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Pacifico wrote: »
    Team for today?

Not yet, should be up in the next few minutes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Awesome :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

New meaning to one way traffic haha, has the ball even been in arsenals half before the goal?

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Any streams men?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

x PyRo wrote: »
    Any streams men?

Stream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i need to ask...

is Vela going to actually make a breakthrough this year?

whenever i see him play, i don't ever see much reason why he shouldn't.

SlickRic wrote: »
    i need to ask...

is Vela going to actually make a breakthrough this year?

whenever i see him play, i don't ever see much reason why he shouldn't.

I doubt it, I don't think he'll ever make the breakthrough. I thought we'd sell him on this summer but we needed to hold onto him with Eduardo leaving.

As soon as we sell him to a mid-table La Liga club he'll get awesome. Wenger just doesn't seem to trust him in the first team at all and then there was the whole passport debacle last year too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Frisbee wrote: »
    As soon as we sell him to a mid-table La Liga club he'll get awesome.

also known as the 'Forlan Effect'.

• Advertisement

Any highlights out there, gentlemen?

Atrocious lack of concentration for there two goals. We just completely shut off.

Almunia was good. Which means Wenger will not buy a keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Almunia was good. Which means Wenger will not buy a keeper.

Never doubted it for a second!

I'd give my left testicle to see Manuel succeed here. He's such a nice bloke and deserves to show the ability that I do think he has. He's just a bag of nerves at times, and that ruins him. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Wenger was urging England to stake their claim for Frimpong. Apparently he has represented both England and Ghana at junior international level and Ghana are prepared to call him up to the full international side.

Wenger on Mertesacker:
    "I would not like to come out on names because it raises the price straight away by 50 per cent."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

We are now being linked with the 29 year old center back Bosnian captain Emir Spahic of Montpellier.
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/transfer-links/transfer-linked-centre-back-emir-spahic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Guardian have just published the season preview for Arsenal.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/aug/02/premier-league-preview-arsenal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭robbeardsley

Shocking penalty from Samaras.

What are peoples opinion on why Wenger won't buy another keeper? Or is it a mystery to you all too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Shocking penalty from Samaras.

What are peoples opinion on why Wenger won't buy another keeper? Or is it a mystery to you all too?

Its a mystery to me anyway, given the way we finished last season with both keepers being utterly shíte Im shocked we havnt bought anyone, then again Almunia had a good game yesterday therefore all is forgiven in Wengers eyes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

From the Guardian preview Mike posted.
    Wenger needs a new goalkeeper and cover in central defence. Is there anyone out there as good as William Gallas, who he has released? Also gone is Sol Campbell and, for what it's worth, Mikaël Silvestre.
    Cheeky :)

On the new keeper thing, I think Almunia will almost certainly be better than he was last season. For a couple of years, he was solid if unspectacular as our #1 so if his head is right again after a summer break, then we'd need a serious improvement to bother signing a replacement. We're also overstocked with (average) keepers at the moment so you'd imagine we'd need there to be some interest in Fabianski or Almunia before either could be sold.

CB is where I think our next signing should be, as there are none of the above complications.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Constant quotes and speculation is not helpful to the team and is very frustrating for supporters with the cost of st etc..the quotes could easily be stopped by a phone call or two.
    I know what you're saying and you're right that he could easily stop it - but I also think you're expecting too much from him. Cesc obviously wants to go so he's not going to make that kind of statement while he thinks there's a chance it could still happen. His first loyalty is to himself and his ambition/dreams/etc.

For me, wanting to go isn't a surprise (apart from maybe the timing) and it's not a disgrace either - he's got friends and family there and they're an awesome team. I still think he's 90% content to stay at Arsenal, hence he hasn't agitated for the move or put in a transfer request. Barca just happens to be his '100% happy' dream job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    From the Guardian preview Mike posted.

Cheeky :)

On the new keeper thing, I think Almunia will almost certainly be better than he was last season. For a couple of years, he was solid if unspectacular as our #1 so if his head is right again after a summer break, then we'd need a serious improvement to bother signing a replacement. We're also overstocked with (average) keepers at the moment so you'd imagine we'd need there to be some interest in Fabianski or Almunia before either could be sold.

CB is where I think our next signing should be, as there are none of the above complications.

there we go again taking another gamble.we cant afford to be carrying players who MIGHT come good this season,its too much a risk.we need to hit the ground running and keep it up to have any chance of the league,i dont want another scenario in april saying almunia cost us 12-15 points,no im just not aving it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

there we go again taking another gamble.we cant afford to be carrying players who MIGHT come good this season,its too much a risk.we need to hit the ground running and keep it up to have any chance of the league,i dont want another scenario in april saying almunia cost us 12-15 points,no im just not aving it!!!

Have to say, I agree with this.

Go out and buy a decent keeper [spend if needs be] and put the fecking thing to bed once and for all.

I for one don't want to be in the same position next season lamenting how things might have been if Almunia/Fabianski hadn't ****ed up x number of times.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Can't believe Almunia is being defended on here. The guy is utter ****e, probably the worst keeper we've had for half a century maybe more.

I'm sad to say that the end is nigh for Wenger next summer.

I'd give my left testicle to see Manuel succeed here. He's such a nice bloke and deserves to show the ability that I do think he has. He's just a bag of nerves at times, and that ruins him. :(

You're the first person I've ever seen or heard mention that he likes Almunia.

He will never be a Jens or Seaman, but he wasn't even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Almunia is very easily hated imo.

Christ my hatred of all things Barcelona grows by the day.
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0802/wengera_arsenal.html

He's a nice person, why wouldn't I want to see him succeed?

DB10 wrote: »
    Can't believe Almunia is being defended on here. The guy is utter ****e, probably the worst keeper we've had for half a century maybe more.

I'm sad to say that the end is nigh for Wenger next summer.

Well safe to say you haven't got a clue. Though im curious as to why you think that wenger should be gone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

He's a nice person, why wouldn't I want to see him succeed?

We all want to see him succeed because he's Arsenals goalkeeper and he has a direct effect on our results not because he's a nice guy. What has him being nice got to do with it? Anyway he's not good enough for Arsenal

anyone see the latest.barca claim they nearly signed wenger in 2001 and he wanted to coach them but arsenal stopped it.i cant put the link up cause im writing from my phone.

We all want to see him succeed because he's Arsenals goalkeeper and he has a direct effect on our results not because he's a nice guy. What has him being nice got to do with it? Anyway he's not good enough for Arsenal

Well considering he's a nice person I want him to succeed. Regardless if it's with us or not.

He's not good enough as things stand, but that's not what I was saying. It's not all his fault either, our piss poor defense has him under pressure all the time too. It's not easy being an Arsenal keeper with such a poor defense in-front of you. He's a good shot stopper and if we played a deeper defensive line he'd do a lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Almunia is a good keeper, there is no two ways about it, but having seen him play a few times when I was over in London, I think his nerves get to him or something, he would be a fantastic back-up keeper to have, but right now I think he is the best we have, the rest of them are too inexperienced.

Fabianski is an even bigger mess than Almunia, constant mistakes, will never make it at Arsenal.

People are bigging up Mannone big time, he had one great game against Fulham and then the rest of his performances where distinctly average, never made any saves you wouldn't expect him to make.

Szcesny, he looks to have fantastic potential, but right now I can't see him breaking into the first team, or even the subs bench.

Almunia is our only choice, he is a decent keeper, he could easily walk into any other PL team outside the top 5 or 6 and be a constant starter, he seems to have been made the scapegoat by Arsenal fans and I think that is unjust, anyone who has been to any of the Arsenal games last season (as I don't believe you can judge quality properly on a TV screen, especially with all the glitz from Sky Sports) he is a solid enough keeper when he is on his day, he is no David Seaman but he is the best we have.

frantic190 wrote: »
    Almunia is a good keeper, there is no two ways about it, but having seen him play a few times when I was over in London, I think his nerves get to him or something, he would be a fantastic back-up keeper to have, but right now I think he is the best we have, the rest of them are too inexperienced.

Fabianski is an even bigger mess than Almunia, constant mistakes, will never make it at Arsenal.

People are bigging up Mannone big time, he had one great game against Fulham and then the rest of his performances where distinctly average, never made any saves you wouldn't expect him to make.

Szcesny, he looks to have fantastic potential, but right now I can't see him breaking into the first team, or even the subs bench.

Almunia is our only choice, he is a decent keeper, he could easily walk into any other PL team outside the top 5 or 6 and be a constant starter, he seems to have been made the scapegoat by Arsenal fans and I think that is unjust, anyone who has been to any of the Arsenal games last season (as I don't believe you can judge quality properly on a TV screen, especially with all the glitz from Sky Sports) he is a solid enough keeper when he is on his day, he is no David Seaman but he is the best we have.
    so a keeper who is good enough for a team outside the top 5 or 6 is good enough for arsenal who are a top 4 team?

cson wrote:
    Go out and buy a decent keeper [spend if needs be] and put the fecking thing to bed once and for all.
    My point was not that Almunia is my first choice (obviously I'd rather we had another Seaman type who commanded his defence and area, organised a defence better, etc. too), just that a couple of things have to come together for someone else to come in.

Mainly finding someone who's (a) available and (b) represents an obvious improvement. And to a lesser extent, getting rid of one of Fabianski and Almunia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

frantic190 wrote: »

But thats were I feel you are wrong. He is not a decent keeper, on his day he is a fine shot stopper and no more. A keeper IMO should be judged on his shot stopping, aerial ability, kicking and defensive control. Almunia is up to scratch on at most 2 of those.

His Aerial abilty is dismal and im sure that is a weakness he is aware of himself. It is almost impossible to recreate the kind of aerial challenge Almunia will face against the likes of Stoke and Bolton on the training ground so the scope to improve is limited.

His kicking is adequate and no more, I don't feel Arsenal are a side that rely on a strong goal kicker so maybe thats irrelavent in Almunia's case.

However his main weakness is total lack of defensive control, a keeper needs to act as a coach on the pitch especially during set pieces, this is something Almunia totally fails to do. He seems to concentrate to much on his own game and alow his defenders to be dragged away from the danger areas by smart well prepared sides.

All in All he does not do, he is not a good enough Keeper for any of the top 12 Premier League clubs, lest not forget he was a backup goalie in Spain and was signed as such for Arsenal. Wenger needs to make a decision and for me that boils down to Splash out on a keeper or give Schezny or Mannone the chance ahead of Fabianski and Almunia. Anyone who worries about their ages I ponder what age was Iker Casillas when he made his first team break through.

his kicking is shocking all he does is hoof it up and it does up going out for a throw or to the oppositions keeper.i want a new keeper everyone can see he is a weakness.its just not good enough for arsenal.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Galvasean wrote: »
    We are now being linked with the 29 year old center back Bosnian captain Emir Spahic of Montpellier.
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/transfer-links/transfer-linked-centre-back-emir-spahic
    Would not be surprised!

Almunia would be constant starter for every side outside the top 5? Ridiculous. The guy won't even be starting for us this season, I will put any money on that.

Are you claiming Almunia is better than Friedal, Reina, Howard, Hart, Schwarzer??

Why then have we made a bid for the 37 year old Mark Schwarzer...:confused:

Can't understand the blinkered views of some of these players on here...

• Advertisement

I reckon Joe Hart could be a proper coup for Arsenal. Seems to be out in the wilderness (surprise, surprise) at City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I reckon Joe Hart could be a proper coup for Arsenal. Seems to be out in the wilderness (surprise, surprise) at City

City would be ****ing stupid to let him off to a top 5 or so team.

But then again; it's City so it wouldn't surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    I know what you're saying and you're right that he could easily stop it - but I also think you're expecting too much from him. Cesc obviously wants to go so he's not going to make that kind of statement while he thinks there's a chance it could still happen. His first loyalty is to himself and his ambition/dreams/etc.

For me, wanting to go isn't a surprise (apart from maybe the timing) and it's not a disgrace either - he's got friends and family there and they're an awesome team. I still think he's 90% content to stay at Arsenal, hence he hasn't agitated for the move or put in a transfer request. Barca just happens to be his '100% happy' dream job.

I fully understand where you are coming from but I have to say I am disappointed at how things have turned out this summer, I don't think I'm expecting too much from our club captain, ok maybe not a statement from Cesc but the constant drip feed of comments from Spain could easily be stopped. As for his first loyalty to himself, yes I agree but that then should apply to all players, and as such then we should not be critical of other players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Joe Hart would be a great coup if we could get him, I also never said Almunia was good enough for Arsenal, I said he was a good back-up keeper.

A good keeper seems to be very hard to come by these days, when I was working in England and talking to other fans on away days no one seemed to be too happy with their keeper. Has anyone seen any of the younger lads play(Shea, McDermott)? Can we expect anything out of them? Craig Sexton was ahead of McDermott in the Irish underage squads so I dunno how well he will get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Get yourselves a German keeper again. Nearly everyone in the Bundesliga is better than Almunia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Almunia is awful. I think that's been well established by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Almunia would be constant starter for every side outside the top 5? Ridiculous. The guy won't even be starting for us this season, I will put any money on that.

Are you claiming Almunia is better than Friedal, Reina, Howard, Hart, Schwarzer??

Can't understand the blinkered views of some of these players on here...

Care to wager ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

IMO Al was the worst first choice keeper in the prem last year.

gosplan wrote: »
    IMO Al was the worst first choice keeper in the prem last year.

I'd have him ahead of Myhill, that's about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I cannot believe the season starts in less than 2 weeks and no keeper has been signed. I actually want to cry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement