Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Nordveitd wants to be the new Steve Bould. Nice to see the bald eagle getting the respect he deserves. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Felt kinda bad for Big Al when he mentioned another goalkeeper. I'm sure he reads enough about it in the paper without being asked about it in an interview...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Frisbee wrote: »
    Felt kinda bad for Big Al when he mentioned another goalkeeper. I'm sure he reads enough about it in the paper without being asked about it in an interview...

Yeah, poor form there. I don't want him in goals next season, but he's always come across as a nice guy!

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Can that Wellington dude play for us competitively yet or is he one of these 3 year loan jobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    I refuse to accept 'six-pointer' talk or anything similar about the first game of the season.

There are 38 games there to do your thing and while it's not ideal, we should get what we deserve over the course of those games. Do you remember how lifeless Cesc looked the season after they won the Euros? No way would I put the two of them at any more risk of longer-term injuries just for one game.
    i never said it was a six pointer all i age was its vital we dont loose this game as its our first and we dont wanna be starting with a loss which might knock the confidence out of our young team.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

x PyRo wrote: »
    Can that Wellington dude play for us competitively yet or is he one of these 3 year loan jobs?
    Arsenal will surely apply for a special talent work permit but not until January when he turns 18. If he doesn't get one he'll have to be farmed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Looks like no Mertesacker
    Werder Bremen general manager Klaus Allofs has insisted that Arsenal target Per Mertesacker will stay with the Bundesliga club this season.

Previous reports had suggested the Gunners were considering a £10 million swoop for the Germany international, following the exits of central defenders Sol Campbell, William Gallas, Mikael Silvestre and Philippe Senderos this summer.

The manager of the north London club, Arsene Wenger, had previously refused to comment on speculation surrounding a potential splurge to shore up his back line, only leading to some more fanning of the flames of speculation.

However, the general manager of the German club has remained resolute that the 25-year-old cente-back will remain at the Weserstadion.

"Per is 100 per cent for Werder, I have already said several times. Nothing has changed. Per and his advisers have so far not reported [to training, after being given extra leave following the World Cup] due to a request from us," Allofs told Bild.

However, the case of sought-after midfielder Mesut Oezil seems less clear cut, as Allofs hinted that the club would consider a sale at the right price.

"Many clubs have expressed interest in him, but no concrete offers have been made," he said.

"If we get an offer, we will deal with it. Then anything is possible."

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

L'prof wrote: »
    Yeah, poor form there. I don't want him in goals next season, but he's always come across as a nice guy!

Forgive my paranoia but do you think any of the other top 4 clubs keeper would have been asked that question. Disgraceful from Sky!

Good answer by Almunia all the same.

• Advertisement

Awful from Sky, though Almunia dealt with it well

Yer man Spahic is quoted as saying talks on a deal are going well... maybe there's more to this than just paper talk.

I'd never heard of him before the other day but from I've been reading he sounds like he might be a useful signing.

Roaster wrote: »
    Forgive my paranoia but do you think any of the other top 4 clubs keeper would have been asked that question. Disgraceful from Sky!

Nah because they're not as poor as Almunia to be honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Yer man Spahic is quoted as saying talks on a deal are going well... maybe there's more to this than just paper talk.

I'd never heard of him before the other day but from I've been reading he sounds like he might be a useful signing.

Yeah reading stuff about him too, if half its true we definately need him, descriptions remind me of keown, takes no crap, tough as nails and seriously commited.

Stolen from the Arseblog thread
    I’m a PSG fan and I follow the Ligue 1 a lot.

Montpellier were an average team last year and were relegation contenders until they bought Spahic. Their defense became one of the better in the league.

They missed out on the Champions League by just a few points.

So to those who wonder if he can make a difference, well he did with Montpellier. I don’t know how much of a difference he can make with a huge club like yours, but he definitely made a crap team one of the best in France.

I remember that he scored a goal against us in the last minute…

His pros:

-One of the best leaders I’ve seen. I was in the Parc des Princes in the first rows and with all the noise, you could hear him yell at his wingers who weren’t tracking back. He has a lot of authority and knows how to help others.

-Is one of the most physical players I’ve seen. The guy will break your legs if it can get him the ball or stop you score. He sacrifices his body for the good of the team. I heard that he played a game for Bosnia in the WC qualifiers injured and scored the first goal. Apparently it inspired his teammates who won 7-0.

-Has some pace left, even if he’s 30. He’s physical enough for the English league since he’s decent in the air and is fearless. Sometimes too much.

-Apparently he’s a great guy and plays with heart.

His Cons:

-Has a short temper… He explodes a lot. He recieved a few red cards in the season. He can be dangerous. Then again, this is not good in France, but apparently it’s important in England… I don’t think that he’s the kind of player to get a red when it’s not important, but he doesn’t care about the health of opponents.

-Never played at a big stage. Lokomotiv Moscow, Montpellier…Then again, Lokomotiv Moscow payed huge wages to their players, so I guess that’s why he didn’t leave. I don’t think that he’s the kind of guy to who it’s really important to play in a huge club, I just think that he wants to play…

-He’s 29. Even if it’s a good age for a defender, I don’t think that he’ll stay in Arsenal for a long time. He can provide experience and push those 19 year old ladies who don’t know how to play with heart for their club.

All in all, I think that he was one of the most underrated players I’ve seen in a while. It will be a good signing.

Have to say i like him even more now, have visions of Wenger calling him over and shawcross getting carted off 3 minutes later.

Of the three cons listed above the second is the only one I would have a problem with. For Arsenal, 'con' 1 is brilliant and 3 is handy as it brings experience.

At least he knows he needs to munch down a few ham and cheese sammitches:

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/koscielny-i-ll-gain-muscle-for-new-season
    Laurent Koscielny intends to "gain a little muscle" as he braces himself for the physical challenge of the Premier League.

The French defender is in the frame to start Arsenal's first game of the season at Liverpool on August 15 and did his prospects no harm with a fine performance against Milan in the Emirates Cup when his anticipation and assurance caught the eye.

Koscielny knows he is on a steep learning curve after his summer transfer from Ligue 1 side Lorient but he is prepared for whatever English football can throw at him.

"I feel ready," said the 24-year-old.

"I like the physical challenge of the English league. I will gain a little muscle, but I am not afraid of anything; I just want to get stronger."

Koscielny and Thomas Vermaelen have linked up well in pre-season but the Frenchman knows that communication will be key to their on-field relationship. That's why he's brushing up on his language skills in time for the new season.

"Thomas and I help each other a lot on the pitch," he said.

"The job demands a lot of communication, being in defence. I am trying to make as much effort as possible to speak in English so that the communication is fluent on the pitch, and slowly it will come. It will get better and better."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0804/hartj_sunderland.html

Wenger should be on the phone sharpish, I know people don't think Man City would loan out a keeper to such close rivals but I wouldn't be so sure about that. If one club is likely to do something that thick it's Manchester City.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Hearing Simpson is going to Hull for £1.5m. Anyone else pick that up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

keano_afc wrote: »
    Hearing Simpson is going to Hull for £1.5m. Anyone else pick that up?

I'd call bull on that simply because 1.5 Million is too much for Hull at the moment, they don't have the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

wenger missed his press conference today because something came up.hopefully good news.

Koscielny says he needs to gain muscle huh? Well, Reyes said something similar. Never happenned.

• Advertisement

I'm liking the sound of this Spahic guy. He sounds like hes not afraid to get stuck in and an authorative figure is exactly what the defence needs at the moment.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Koscielny says he needs to gain muscle huh? Well, Reyes said something similar. Never happenned.

That's true, but there's 4 inches in the difference here and Gary Neville is hardly likely to be kicking lumps out of Kos any time soon!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Lads did anyone set up an league for Arsenal fans in the fantasy football yet? If they didnt I'd be more than happy to set one up, Frisbee or Galvasean or one of the regulars will surely be able to answer me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Nicollin: "He has three years of contract left and that costs money. They paid €12m for Koscielny. Spahic is worth three times as much."

lol.

FearDark wrote: »
    Lads did anyone set up an league for Arsenal fans in the fantasy football yet? If they didnt I'd be more than happy to set one up, Frisbee or Galvasean or one of the regulars will surely be able to answer me.

I didn't pay much attention to it (none at all actually) last season, but I'm pretty sure we get put back into the same leagues we were in last season...so there should be one there already.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    lol.
    hah.

I just watched a compilation of Koscielny's involvement against Milan. He looks agile, quick, good on the ball and good in the air. Promising.

hah.

I just watched a compilation of Koscielny's involvement against Milan. He looks agile, quick, good on the ball and good in the air. Promising.
    Nicollin: "He has three years of contract left and that costs money. They paid €12m for Koscielny. Spahic is worth three times as much." 20 minutes ago via web

Not sure how much you use your twitter Pepe. French Journo http://twitter.com/tomwfootball

Taking over in 2016 lads, brace yourselves!

2hnql1g.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

L'prof wrote: »
    Taking over in 2016 lads, brace yourselves!

2hnql1g.png

Well he does keep the French connection going, I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

FearDark wrote: »

Id be interested in this, doubt ones been set up yet so id go ahead and set it up if you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I think someone set up a league in the Arsenal Supporters social group.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Not sure how much you use your twitter Pepe. French Journo http://twitter.com/tomwfootball
    um, I wasn't laughing at you, I was laughing at the quote, just boards drops all but the last one.

€36m for Spahic? Next...

um, I wasn't laughing at you, I was laughing at the quote, just boards drops all but the last one.

€36m for Spahic? Next...

I know that, was just leaving his twitter

Classic League - 252837-184328

Head 2 Head League - 252837-184334

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Arsenal will surely apply for a special talent work permit but not until January when he turns 18. If he doesn't get one he'll have to be farmed out.
    I'm sure they'll apply but I wouldn't hold out too much hope - I can't recall too many being granted recently? Even Galindo didn't get one and he'd a few full international appearances racked up.

Wellington looks/sounds impressive and the clips I've seen of him have been good - but he'll be nowhere near the Brazil squad to get the caps he'll need.

Hopefully he'll work out better than Botelho/Vela after their time away - I always hate not having players at the club at such an important time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Arsenal supporters only ? any other supporters will be kicked out I take it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Joined both, love the names :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

hah.

I just watched a compilation of Koscielny's involvement against Milan. Promising.

Link? Apoligies if i missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

in for the classic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Joined both, Cheers Frisbee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Joined both :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

Signed up for both just hope to do a little better this year than I did last time around ;)

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    I'm sure they'll apply but I wouldn't hold out too much hope - I can't recall too many being granted recently? Even Galindo didn't get one and he'd a few full international appearances racked up.

Wellington looks/sounds impressive and the clips I've seen of him have been good - but he'll be nowhere near the Brazil squad to get the caps he'll need.

Hopefully he'll work out better than Botelho/Vela after their time away - I always hate not having players at the club at such an important time.
    Well Denilson got one on the basis of 12 appearances for Sao Paulo and a couple of U17 appearances and Wellington has more of both, so he might. I think it's a bit different for Brazilians.

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    Link? Apoligies if i missed it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKXlaJQ-niY

Tally ho, Brigadiers!

(First time I'm doing it, so I think I'll suck at it)

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Joined both.

Defending my double from last year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

In for both :D

Which FF is it?

Apparently Gibbs and Wilshere have been left out of the latest England U21 squad which suggests they're going to be called up by Capello...

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Any News on the keeper situation?Since the great man Jens was dumped i have been saying we need to get someone in,Almunia is the worst keeper in the league and to be honest i would be really annoyed with wenger if he doesn't change it now.Almunia has cost us so many points over the years sort it Wenger!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement