Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

/
    SDTimeout wrote: »
    That is from a stoke city fans blog.

I think that is laughable, while i don't care what other fans generally think of our play as i like it to say englands short comings were how to we play in the PL is laughable.

I go to france every summer for about 2-3 weeks. There is a nice little stadium there and sometimes i cycle down via the beach and watch the under 12's. I echo what someone else on boards has said the fact so much of the training is placed on technique. Pass and move, possession.

This is in a tiny village called leucate. Yet they complain about the standard and i for one am all for English football being redeveloped from the ground up. It's what's needed

Was it written by an L Macari by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Joe Cole has had injuries yes but i cant believe people would take Rosicky over Cole :eek: Rosicky hasnt performed for the last few seasons and last season was one of his worst. He runs in circles now and adds nothing to our attacking play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

keano_afc wrote: »
    /

Was it written by an L Macari by any chance?

I just got the quote from the cannon this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

gibson wrote: »
    Rosicky hasnt performed for the last few seasons and last season was one of his worst. He runs in circles now and adds nothing to our attacking play

Ya man but his hair is just fantastic, and those cheek bones......savage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

After watching the disgraceful capitualtion that was england’s world cup tournament and seeing the bloated cash rich whinging players moping round the pitch constantly moaning and groaning it seems to beg the question, is the style of arsenal football club ruining the game in england. England seemed to think it clever to pass the ball around in their own half, buliding up possession statistics like they are the important and win games. Arsenal’s fault, the tippy tappy culture in full effect. Everything about the north londoners contributes to the poison spreading through the english game.

Yep, because the England team was full of Arsenal players... oh wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Galvasean wrote: »
    Yep, because the England team was full of Arsenal players... oh wait!

It may well be soon :)

OPENROAD wrote: »
    It may well be soon :)

Next england team to win the Word Cup :P

Shea

Eastmond---Bartley
    Cruise
    Gibbs

Walcott
    Watt
    Wilshire--Emmanuel Thomas

Murphy---Simpson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

What did you do to Rosicky over in Arsenal eh? ;)
    He was a lovely player in the Bundesliga with huge prospects, a bit small for a first division player but his skills made up for it. Intelligent player, lovely feet, lovely passer of the ball, lovely everything. Could have become the new Nedved or so. But complete of the boil now and looks like yet another mercenary. What happened to him, I wasn't following. Did he have a bad injury or so?

The one player I'm really looking forward to seeing this season is Gibbs, I honestly believe the left back slot may be up for grabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Boskowski wrote: »
    He was a lovely player in the Bundesliga with huge prospects, a bit small for a first division player but his skills made up for it. Intelligent player, lovely feet, lovely passer of the ball, lovely everything. Could have become the new Nedved or so. But complete of the boil now and looks like yet another mercenary. What happened to him, I wasn't following. Did he have a bad injury or so?

His knee exploded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

His knee exploded.

Twice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

What did you do to Rosicky over in Arsenal eh?

He's referred to as Rosicknote these days.
    What happened to him, I wasn't following. Did he have a bad injury or so?

See above!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

His knee is discabobalated, only word to describe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

He is plagued by injury since his knee exploded as said above ;)

Also any more transfer news guys? The window has been open for 3 days and I've heard very little I'm hoping it's just down to the world cup being on and once thats done and dusted with we'll be springing to action with a fair few new signings!

Surprisingly quiet the past few days, which probably means we'll unveil 3 new players next week...

Surprisingly quiet the past few days, which probably means we'll unveil 3 new players next week...

Pique, Aguero and Iniesta I hear....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Speaking of Pique he is competing with Xavi for most hate-able Barca player after those comments.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Speaking of Pique he is competing with Xavi for most hate-able Barca player after those comments.

Really hope The Germans stuff them in the semis, Come on Germany!!

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Argentina and Barcelona attacker Lionel Messi admits he was dumbfounded by the decision not to take Theo Walcott to the World Cup.

Walcott was expected to make the plane to South Africa but England manager Fabio Capello opted to leave him at home.

The decision came despite the fact that the 21-year-old became the youngest player to score a hat-trick for England in 2008, following an excellent performance in Croatia.

And Messi points to last season's UEFA Champions League clash between Arsenal and Barcelona as another match where Walcott had a major impact.

With the Gunners trailing 2-0 and on the ropes against the Spanish champions at the Emirates, Walcott came off the bench and changed the game as Arsenal salvaged a 2-2 draw.

Messi, 23, was shocked when Capello named his World Cup squad, and believes England would have had more success if Walcott was onboard.

"I must say that at the time I thought it was a bad decision to leave Theo Walcott at home," he told the Daily Star.

"And I think that has been proved right. I can only speak from experience but he was one of the most dangerous players I have ever played against.

"Barcelona players are not scared easily but I can tell you that when we played Arsenal last season he truly worried us.

"When we were playing Arsenal at the Emirates we were so in control of the game at 2-0, with all respect Arsenal were not even in the game.

"Then Theo came on and changed the game. He pretty much single-handedly salvaged a draw against Barcelona that night.

One to watch
    "Even in the return leg our manager Pep Guardiola was telling us he was the player to watch out for.

"And the best players in the world like Xavi and Gerard Pique were telling us to watch out for him. The truth is that he really rattled him.

"If he could do that against Barcelona, think what he could have done against Germany and Algeria. Even if he didn't start, he would still have been very important for England.

"Along with Cesc Fabregas and Sergio Aguero he would have been the best impact player at the World Cup."

Messi, whose Argentina side crashed out in the quarter-finals after also being thumped by Germany, says Walcott's pace is his best asset.

He added: "Even at the top level, pace scares the world's best defenders. And, take it from me, he would scare any defender.

"When England brought on players, I don't think they were at the level to make any impact. But Walcott would have been and I still can't understand why he wasn't taken.

"He is a big-game player as well who rises to the occasion. He scored a hat-trick in Croatia, which nobody ever does and was the star against Barcelona."

Maradonas drug habits have brushed over on Lionel it seems. :pac: Hopefully Theo listens to the praise and takes a bit of confidence out of it. We'll never see the best of him until he moves to the middle though, Which may never happen with Wenger in charge.

• Advertisement

hahah messi you gotta love him!! :D

x PyRo wrote: »
    Maradonas drug habits have brushed over on Lionel it seems. :pac: Hopefully Theo listens to the praise and takes a bit of confidence out of it. We'll never see the best of him until he moves to the middle though, Which may never happen with Wenger in charge.

Saw that earlier on.

While I do think that we're not going to see any improvement in Walcott on the wing, I'd be extremely surprised if Wenger didn't push him further up the pitch in the near future. I remember people being surprised when he played Henry up front, even though he actually knew better than anyone that it was his best position!

L'prof wrote: »
    Saw that earlier on.

While I do think that we're not going to see any improvement in Walcott on the wing, I'd be extremely surprised if Wenger didn't push him further up the pitch in the near future. I remember people being surprised when he played Henry up front, even though he actually knew better than anyone that it was his best position!

this is the problem though. i made a post in the last thread regarding this. walcott clearly wants to be a striker or at least feels thats his best position, but can he improve on that by being played out of position on the wing? not sure but at the moment doesnt look like it

The problem though is that i dont think well ever see walcott up front as long as play 4-3-3 cause even in the 4-3-3 hes still pretty wide never the central forward. Unless we went back to 4-4-2 i dont think were ever going to see Theo as a "proper striker"

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Don't know was this put up here or not but..

300coet.jpg

The man is a legend! Pity we don't have more people like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Rumours for today:
    Arsenal have been approached about a deal for Sporting Braga's Portugal goalkeeper Eduardo, 27, who has a £3.4m buy-out clause in his contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Nice rumour about Eduardo.

As regards the latest bout of Pique/Xavi Barca nonsense. One thought did occur to me that made me smile ...

Jose + Ronaldo + Kaka + whoever else they buy = lean spell for Barca.

Can't wait to see their sore loser/why didn't we win, we're more than a club/we were cheated faces when he starts wrapping up the league.

A lesson in humility is just what that team needs.

And as regards Fabregas, he should be a bit more Machiavellian about things.

a) Jose wins leagues everywhere he goes, this will not change at Madrid.
    b) If there are problems with your place in the Spanish team because of the Barca midfield, then it's going to be roughly the same at Barca.
    c) In three years or so, Xavi's place at Barca will become available just as Jose is leaving Madrid. Enter Fabregas, win's first title for three years and becomes one of all time Catalan heros.

What's wrong with that?

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    In three years or so, Xavi's place at Barca will become available just as Jose is leaving Madrid. Enter Fabregas, win's first title for three years and becomes one of all time Catalan heros.

What's wrong with that?

He'll be gone before that!

L'prof wrote: »
    He'll be gone before that!

Yeah I know but he'll be going to a couple of years of finishing runner up to Real!!

Still, probably better than scrapping for third/fourth in the PL ... and he get's to play with Messi.

Yeah I know but he'll be going to a couple of years of finishing runner up to Real!!

Still, probably better than scrapping for third/fourth in the PL ... and he get's to play with Messi.

I still think he'll stay for this season, but certainly no longer than that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

Arsenal have been approached about a deal for Sporting Braga's Portugal goalkeeper Eduardo, 27, who has a £3.4m buy-out clause in his contract.

just shows every man and his dog can see we need a goalkeeper:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

b) If there are problems with your place in the Spanish team because of the Barca midfield, then it's going to be roughly the same at Barca.

You see I think Cesc now realises if he moves to Barca he will be doing a lot of sitting down for a couple of years because its obvious that the other players in the Barca midfield are considered better than him in Spain.

Hopefully this will make him realise how good he has it at Arsenal and bury any yearnings for Barca for at least a couple more years.

I definitely do not think he will go to Barca this coming season anyway and we can partially thank Vicente Del Bosque for that ;)

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote: »
    You see I think Cesc now realises if he moves to Barca he will be doing a lot of sitting down for a couple of years because its obvious that the other players in the Barca midfield are considered better than him in Spain.

Hopefully this will make him realise how good he has it at Arsenal and bury any yearnings for Barca for at least a couple more years.

I definitely do not think he will go to Barca this coming season anyway and we can partially thank Vicente Del Bosque for that ;)

And Barca themselves for getting into the 'silly money' stakes last year with Ibra. If they value Cesc, and I mean really value him, not just DNA talk bullsh1t, then by their standards, we can expect 60 million or so.

TBH, I'm beginning to think the writing's on the wall and we'll probably get about 45 million.

Barca will play him but in a five man midfield of:

Biscuits/Xavi/Iniesta/Fabregas/Messi

They'll be amazing to watch but not as effective as a Jose-inspired Real Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

gandalf wrote: »
    its obvious that the other players in the Barca midfield are considered better than him in Spain.
    I actually think the opposite in a way - Spanish national team selection seems to be very very heavily weighted towards the bigger clubs there. I know his move to Real wasn't the only factor but look at the difference in Alonso's treatment now compared to his time at the 'Pool. He was even behind Fabregas in '07/'08 - different players yes, but still - whereas he's a starter now. And Arteta's never even been called up to the squad.

I reckon in Cesc's eyes, gametime at Barca (even in a rotation system) gives him a better chance of being a Spain regular quicker.

Did he have a bad injury or so?

Dude, he was out injured for two years!

That Eduardo deal thing is interesting, if true, the only reason I think they'd prefer him to come to us is they must have an eye on one of our players.

Maybe an Eduardo for Eduardo trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Barca will play him but in a five man midfield of:

Biscuits/Xavi/Iniesta/Fabregas/Messi

Not a hope I reckon. Pedro and Messi will most likely remain 1st choice wide men. By playing the five you have suggested, they would be making their team less effective just to accomodate a big signing by either moving Iniesta or Fabregas wide, meaning your not getting the best out of one of them. I don't think Guardiola would go for that, he tends to assemble a balanced side.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Maybe an Eduardo for Eduardo trade.
    On an (almost) related note, I always thought we missed a trick by not selling Luis Boa Morte to West Ham when they came calling for Ian Wright. Could've got the money AND an extra year of Wrighty.

25709_news.jpg_249010_ian_wright150.jpg

danlen wrote: »
    Not a hope I reckon. Pedro and Messi will most likely remain 1st choice wide men. By playing the five you have suggested, they would be making their team less effective just to accomodate a big signing by either moving Iniesta or Fabregas wide, meaning your not getting the best out of one of them. I don't think Guardiola would go for that, he tends to assemble a balanced side.

Then there simply isn't a place for him.

Pick two from Xavi/Iniesta and Fabregas

Then there simply isn't a place for him.

Pick two from Xavi/Iniesta and Fabregas

Iniesta has played wide left a good few times before Pedro did and when Henry was dropped. Many think Iniesta will move to left wing if Fabregas did sign. Maybe thats sacrificing Iniesta but maybe Barca think its worth it :rolleyes:

More Rumours.

Arsenal have entered into negotiations for Halliche - URL="http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/07/05/2010920/arsenal-open-talks-with-benfica-algeria-defender-rafik"]link[/URL

Arsenal are expected to bid for Monaco GK Stephane Ruffier - URL="http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/07/05/2010908/arsenal-manager-arsene-wenger-keeping-tabs-on-monacos"]link[/URL

The Halliche's are gathering momentum, I'm really getting the feeling he will be the replacement for Silvestre. No idea about this GK though.

Oh, and Koscielny seems to be a done deal. He was spotted at the training ground today according to young guns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Never heard of Halliche, but that link says he spent the past 2 season out on loan? If Benfica didn't think he was good enough for their squad then I wouldn't be too excited about him.

gibson wrote: »
    Many think Iniesta will move to left wing if Fabregas did sign.
    That's what I'd reckon would happen - at least part of the time. I think Gosplan's just in denial :)

They could also go with a very narrow diamond style:

----Busquets
    Fabregas - Xavi
    ----Iniesta
    Messi
    Villa

although the real factor in all of this is trying to get rid of Ibra (presumably) without losing a shedload of cash. With no Cesc, they can go

----Busquets
    Iniesta - Xavi
    Messi
    Villa
    Ibra

which would seem to make more sense financially at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Cant get excited about Koscielny at all for some reason. I guess I'm still having nightmares about the last unheralded centre half we signed from the French League. Wasnt Cygan meant to be "the best uncapped player in France" before he joined us?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

Does anybody have any updates of Aaron Ramesy? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Bendtner may miss the start of the season
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/8792026.stm
    Arsenal's Nicklas Bendtner could miss the start of the new Premier League season because of a groin injury.
    Barcelona manager Pep Guardiola has made a secret visit to Spain's World Cup base to try to seal the signing of Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas.

Barcelona manager Pep Guardiola has made a secret visit to Spain's World Cup base to try to seal the signing of Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas.

I doubt there is any truth to that but if there is the slightest chance it did happen we should be onto FIFA about tapping up immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Frisbee wrote: »
    I doubt there is any truth to that but if there is the slightest chance it did happen we should be onto FIFA about tapping up immediately.

Exactly. Totally illegal. The papers know this aswell but print it anyway!

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Televised games for Sky are now on their site

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement