Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Plus Simpson's in the last year of his contract I think? So for a player of his age/experience (although in fairness, he's got good Championship experience), I can't see how it would really go above £2m.

If we've traded a bit of that for a better sell-on fee or something, then it's all gravy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Cesc's made the statement. He's staying and has said sorry to the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Cesc's made the statement. He's staying and has said sorry to the fans.

BRILLIANT :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Here it is :)
    Cesc: Official Statement
    6 08 2010

This has just been released to the press:

“Firstly I would like to apologise to all the Arsenal fans for not speaking sooner about my future but I have not known what I was going to do until this moment. I cannot deny that joining a club like Barcelona was not an attractive move for me. This was the club where I learned my football, it is my home town where my friends and family are and a club where I have always dreamed of playing. There are not many players in the world who would not want to play for Barcelona. I have had many conversations with Arsene Wenger both in person and over the phone over the last few months and although the content of those conversations will remain private, the conclusion is that Barcelona have had two formal offers rejected by Arsenal. I am a professional and I fully understand that it is Arsenal’s prerogative not to sell me. I owe a lot to the club, manager and the fans and I will respect their decision and will now concentrate on the new season ahead with Arsenal.

I can assure all the fans that now the negotiations have ended I will be 100 per cent focused on playing for Arsenal.

I am an Arsenal player and as soon as I step out on to the pitch, that is the only club I will be thinking about.

I am looking forward to the start of the season and putting this speculation behind me.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

excellent news :D

where did you find the link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

No all we need is a miracle surgery technique to remove the Barca gene from his DNA.

gibson wrote: »
    excellent news :D

where did you find the link?

http://block6gooner.com/2010/08/06/cesc-official-statement/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Glad to see Fab staying the the EPL. Not an Arsenal fan but any fan of football would like to continue watching him. Good news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Great news for Arsenal but I honestly don't think they can win the league with this sort of situation with the club captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Defoe reckons Spurs will go further than Arsenal in the CL this season

He's 100% right, Spurs are in a much better position than us and will go far...just like they did in the Europa League...

event wrote: »
    lads, there are rumours leeds have agreed a fee for Jay simpson

what can ye tell us?

He'll be a good player for Leeds, if they get him. He scored 13 goals for QPR last season as a 20 year old, which is a decent return.
    Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Here it is :)

Great that he's staying, but he says far too much about Barca there for my liking!

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    Great news for Arsenal but I honestly don't think they can win the league with this sort of situation with the club captain.

The Fabregas situation won't affect us, we won't win the league because we're not strong enough!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

L'prof wrote: »
    Great that he's staying, but he says far too much about Barca there for my liking!
    Seriously? He'd be taking the piss if he pretended that he didn't want to go to Barca... that's the sort of retarded, dick move that Adebayor pulled 2 summers ago and the fans hated him for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

Not an Arsenal fan but I'm happy he's staying for you guys, as a fan of football it's good he is still in the premiership. At least imo

Seriously? He'd be taking the piss if he pretended that he didn't want to go to Barca... that's the sort of retarded, dick move that Adebayor pulled 2 summers ago and the fans hated him for it.

Yeah, but it reads like "Barca, Barca, Barca, Barca, Barca, Barca, Arsenal".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Exactly. I personally don't mind that he wanted to go (it was more about where he'd be going than where he was leaving) but a paper-thin "Sorry, I was on holidays - wasn't aware what was going on" would have turned me against him.

Thankfully he's better than that. Whatever anyone thinks about what's happened so far, he's ended it more than a week before the season starts and he was honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Yeah, but it reads like "Barca, Barca, Barca, Barca, Barca, Barca, Arsenal".

At least he's honest.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Legend! More of this please.

I wonder if winning something would be enough to persuade him to stay for longer? Not that I think we will though to be honest!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Maybe, maybe not, but it'd strengthen the club's bargaining position for sure.

Hopefully a big season from Nasri and improvements from Ramsey and Wilshere will have us less worried about the situation this time next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

needless to say, Cesc staying is huge.

the big plus, is that by next year, Ramsey should be back. Wilshere will be another year older, and if Cesc definitely wants to go by then, and Barca pay what's demanded, then Arsenal may not need to be as fearful about losing their talisman.

i'm not even joking when i say; biggest 'signing' of the summer.

SlickRic wrote: »
    needless to say, Cesc staying is huge.

the big plus, is that by next year, Ramsey should be back. Wilshere will be another year older, and if Cesc definitely wants to go by then, and Barca pay what's demanded, then Arsenal may not need to be as fearful about losing their talisman.

i'm not even joking when i say; biggest 'signing' of the summer.

Don't put the fúckíng words into Wenger's mouth!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Delighted Cesc is staying, really not sure how we would of done without him tbh.

No long term committment given, but i wasnt really expecting it either. Very honest statement, he will no doubt give 100% for the year now.

Any update on this new defender? The Bosnian chap...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Being a complete cynic, but I wouldn't be surprised if a move has been agreed in principle for next summer. This move lets everyone save face.

In any case, it's great news for Arsenal.

#15 wrote: »
    Being a complete cynic, but I wouldn't be surprised if a move has been agreed in principle for next summer. This move lets everyone save face.

In any case, it's great news for Arsenal.

I doubt it. If their offer wasn't good enough for this season, why would it be good enough next season?

I doubt it. If their offer wasn't good enough for this season, why would it be good enough next season?

Sorry, meant between Wenger and Cesc. Along the lines of 'give me one more season and I'll grant you a move'.

I don't think there's any other outcome to this whole saga - Cesc will leave in the near future.

^^^^ All speculation on my part, admittedly.

#15 wrote: »
    Sorry, meant between Wenger and Cesc. Along the lines of 'give me one more season and I'll grant you a move'.

I don't think there's any other outcome to this whole saga - Cesc will leave in the near future.

^^^^ All speculation on my part, admittedly.

Quite possible. I can't see Wenger having said it without adding the obligatory "as long as the price is right" though.

Quite possible. I can't see Wenger having said it without adding the obligatory "as long as the price is right" though.

Agree completely.

Of course, no such conversation may have taken place, but it's no harm to let out the inner muppet once in a while. Speculation is the spice of the soccer forum.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Great news about Cesc. All we need now is a new keeper and i'll be full of optimism for the new season!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Delta_Raven1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Delta_Raven1

apologies.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

For some reason the Arsenal-boards.ie league hasnt been renewed this year, maybe the creator didnt renew it or something so I've created one for just us Arsenal boardsies.

The usual website: http://fantasy.premierleague.com/
    The code: 442411-206131 [will be removed after the first game week to stop new people joining]

Awh man I just did a Fabianski and dropped the ball there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

FearDark wrote: »
    For some reason the Arsenal-boards.ie league hasnt been renewed this year, maybe the creator didnt renew it or something so I've created one for just us Arsenal boardsies.

The usual website: http://fantasy.premierleague.com/
    The code: 442411-206131 [will be removed after the first game week to stop new people joining]

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67281156&postcount=1435

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Frisbee wrote: »

I couldn't find that earlier, and I asked a few people here yesterday too!
    Ok, ignore what I said above! Im joining... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

I'm actually quite disappointed by the statement. I realise it was honest but its disappointing as an Arsenal fan that he doesn't seem to love the club as much as he seemed to at the end of last season. I think he could have done a better job of thanking the Arsenal fans. I know he wants to go to Barcelona but as the captain of the club he should have at least made it sound like he actually cared about the club instead of ' well I wanted to go to Barcelona but Arsenal didn't want to sell me so I guess I'm stuck with you lot for next season'.

Part of me would prefer to see RVP who has remained committed to the club as captain but I realise that this would not be the right thing to do this season as it would cause Cesc embarassment and Cesc hasn't really done anything wrong. Its just as captain of the club you want someone who has committed to the club, not someone who is there because they have to be.

I do think if he leaves next year he will be leaving too early. I think he should wait until Xavi can no longer play a full 90 minutes but if he wants to become a spare part at Barca then let him.

I feel disappointed in Cesc, I of course will cheer for him but it will not be in the same way as it was before this whole transfer saga. He just isn't the same figure in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

_Bella_ wrote: »
    I'm actually quite disappointed by the statement. I realise it was honest but its disappointing as an Arsenal fan that he doesn't seem to love the club as much as he seemed to at the end of last season. I think he could have done a better job of thanking the Arsenal fans. I know he wants to go to Barcelona but as the captain of the club he should have at least made it sound like he actually cared about the club instead of ' well I wanted to go to Barcelona but Arsenal didn't want to sell me so I guess I'm stuck with you lot for next season'.

Part of me would prefer to see RVP who has remained committed to the club as captain but I realise that this would not be the right thing to do this season as it would cause Cesc embarassment and Cesc hasn't really done anything wrong. Its just as captain of the club you want someone who has committed to the club, not someone who is there because they have to be.

I do think if he leaves next year he will be leaving too early. I think he should wait until Xavi can no longer play a full 90 minutes but if he wants to become a spare part at Barca then let him.

I feel disappointed in Cesc, I of course will cheer for him but it will not be in the same way as it was before this whole transfer saga. He just isn't the same figure in my eyes.

I'm not alone on boards re Cesc :D Seriously though, nothing wrong with us having different opinions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SpodoKamodo

This time next year....mourinho wins la liga, maybe gets to the semis of the CL. Sevilla win the copa del rey. Cesc is proclaimled the saviour of barca, insert silly bid here. Thank you cesc, Step forward nasri/Ramsey/wilshire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

I too am disappointed with the statement as a true Arsenal fan but realistically it was the best we could have got. It was honest.

If you leave all the Barca fed media bullsh@te aside, he hasn't ever come out and declared his love for Barca until now. He clearly wants to play for the club of his dreams at some stage and who are we to criticise that. Its actually something thats lacking in the modern game, a player who wants to play for a club out of nothing more than desire.

Unfortunately for Cesc he is an asset in monetary terms in todays society. He realises this and has accepted his fate accordially.

I have no doubt that he will play for Barca in the future. Until then he is the Arsenal captain and I guarantee he will display this on the pitch.

Barca are the real culprits here. I have never before had my attitude changed so quickly about a club. Hero to zero in a nutshell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Arsenal have finally agreed a fee of around £42million for wanted Spanish midfielder Cesc Fabregas with Championship side Bristol City.

lmao:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Paleface wrote: »
    I too am disappointed with the statement as a true Arsenal fan but realistically it was the best we could have got. It was honest.

If you leave all the Barca fed media bullsh@te aside, he hasn't ever come out and declared his love for Barca until now. He clearly wants to play for the club of his dreams at some stage and who are we to criticise that. Its actually something thats lacking in the modern game, a player who wants to play for a club out of nothing more than desire.

Unfortunately for Cesc he is an asset in monetary terms in todays society. He realises this and has accepted his fate accordially.

I have no doubt that he will play for Barca in the future. Until then he is the Arsenal captain and I guarantee he will display this on the pitch.

Barca are the real culprits here. I have never before had my attitude changed so quickly about a club. Hero to zero in a nutshell.

Yeah, I think people need to pay attention to the fact that he apologised to the Arsenal fans as well.

Basically the two things Cesc has said at either end of this fiasco:

1: Wenger told me to focus on the WC and said let me handle the Barca move and that's what I'm doing
    2: Sorry for not speaking sooner but I only now know that I'm with Arsenal for the next year as they've rejected Barca's bids. Cannot deny was tempted by Barca but it's Arsenal's decision and I'm 100% committed.

Some people feel he should have been speaking out during the summer but I can't see how he would have done that as a neutral, even if it was to tell Barca players to keep quiet.

I believe his version of events and think he's been quite honest for a footballer involved in a potential 50 million or so move.

He told Wenger he wanted to move and then followed Wenger's instructions to keep quiet about it and leave it to him. Now it's resolved he's speaking again.

The sad thing for Arsenal is that he'll go as soon as Barca offer a fair price but we've known that was coming for a few years now. The good thing is that we have time to strengthen and get Ramsey fit.

So, why does Setanta Ireland say it is showing the Arsenal match when it is showing highlights of an old Liverpool game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Galvasean wrote: »
    So, why does Setanta Ireland say it is showing the Arsenal match when it is showing highlights of an old Liverpool game?

its on at 4 i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Don't think the game starts til 4.

Galvasean wrote: »

I think their times are out, the Arsenal game kicks off at 4 they have it as 3 so i reckon Setanta coverage will start at 3.30 not 2.30

Checked arsenal.com Kick off is at 4.

Posted this in the other thread, paltry offer to be honest, less than £33.3m!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Any sign of the team for todays game?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement