Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Is he any good defensively though?

They conceded 4 too, so no!

JET 5-4 :D

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Koscielny looks like a pub player out there.

If he's first choice and no keeper signed we are finished.

6-4, Nasri from a free-kick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

and there was me thinking we had the worst keeper Poland ever produced

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

And i thought our back-up keepers where crap...how didnt he save nasri's free hahah!

Curse of the commentator and awful defending from Gibbs. 6-5!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

That 5th was such a bloody gift, awful defending! lol

FT 6-5

Absolutely disgraceful.

DB10 wrote: »

FT 6-5

Absolutely disgraceful.

They were all crap, no idea why you're singling out him to be honest!

Anyway, roll on Liverpool!

5000th post, woo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Phew, talk about a roller coaster. Remind me never to put money on a pre-season friendly when I'm bored again, especially when the team I back goes 3-0 down in the first half.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I pray they were told to take it easy.....because I certainly don't want to read too much into that display, and just give them the benefit of the doubt. We need a keeper and we need him now. We also need another quality experienced cb imo. Koscielny < Gallas in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Hahaha what a ridiculous game. Our team as a whole really has no idea how to defend collectively. Still we went the whole of pre season unbeaten!:pac:

Chesney ahead of Fabianksi or Almunia for me if no one is coming in. Even just the fact that he's obviously more vocal at set pieces puts him apart from the other two(three) and he has the ability to make really great saves. Even if he makes a few mistakes he'd still be better than the others in all probability.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

Not the most encouraging of defensive displays but I'm gonna choose to believe they were told to take it easy.

If Wenger is going to gamble with the keepers we have then he should go with Szczesny. He seems a lot more solid than flapianski anyways and sure if he turns out worse then we always have the other two to fall back on.... or laugh at:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

L'prof wrote: »
    That's reassuring, I'm so pleased...

Sorry. In case you thought that I was being smart. I genuinely meant that I assume he is only taking him as he intends using him and that is why others have been left out.

Not overly comforting I know but that's what I meant.

Sorry. In case you thought that I was being smart. I genuinely meant that I assume he is only taking him as he intends using him and that is why others have been left out.

Not overly comforting I know but that's what I meant.

Ah yeah, I know. It's just ridiculously frustrating. I was crying out for him to be played during the World Cup, but it never really happened. He made a massive impact on the final when he eventually came on. I don't see the point in dragging him to Mexico and now deciding that he wants to give him some proper game time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Not to jump the gun, but I hope this is Wenger's last season

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Eboue > Life.

What a man!

L'prof, he in particular was rubbish. He should be out there proving he is capable of competing for a first team place.

Instead he was completely embarrassed and reinforced the widely held view that several additions are neeeded.

• Advertisement

Agreed and I honestly think it will be.

Agreed and I honestly think it will be.

Oh dear, very early for this shít.

Who'll replace him?
    What players would be inclined to move on if he does leave?
    How much money will they have to spend to give us what Wenger has?
    How long do we give them before they get the chop?
    Who'll replace him?

Who'll replace him?
    Who'll replace him?

Those are questions for the board not me.

Wenger is out of contract this summer, he will probably walk away if nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Who'll replace him?
    Who'll replace him?
    George Graham ftw :D

Those are questions for the board not me.

Wenger is out of contract this summer, he will probably walk away if nothing else.

Answer one question, do you honestly believe we'll be better off? I certainly don't!

Eboue should replace Wenger at the end of the season.

In others news, I quite like my new avatar. :pac:

• Advertisement

x PyRo wrote: »
    Eboue should replace Wenger at the end of the season.

In others news, I quite like my new avatar. :pac:

Show off :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Answer one question, do you honestly believe we'll be better off? I certainly don't!

I dont agree with it being a good thing if Wenger goes, at the minute, Ill wait and see at the end of the season....but why do you think we'd be any worse off? no success in 5 years, still with defensive problems after about 5 years, still with dodgy keepers for basically 3 years and at times gives the impression he wouldnt spend money even if we had it

and if anyone says Cesc will leave because of Wenger hes going to leave sooner or later anyway because Barca wont give up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

gibson wrote: »
    why do you think we'd be any worse off? no success in 5 years

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/7956396.stm

OK, that story's a year old but the thing that stands out is:
    Liverpool's net spending over five years on players is £82.5m and United's has been £85.5m. Meanwhile, Chelsea spent £154.8m net on players during that time and Arsenal just £3.4m.

You tell me a manager that would have delivered trophies for 3.4 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

With all the scouts at Arsenal why can't Wenger buy a f*cking decent CB or a decent keeper. At this stage a good Keeper and a decent CB could be the difference between not making CL next year and winning the league. Surely he can see how much it's needed. Get the finger out Wenger or f*ck off!!:mad:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12016_6300201,00.html

Well done little man! 3 Arsenal players in an England squad, well I never. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Quazzie wrote: »
    With all the scouts at Arsenal why can't Wenger buy a f*cking decent CB or a decent keeper. At this stage a good Keeper and a decent CB could be the difference between not making CL next year and winning the league. Surely he can see how much it's needed. Get the finger out Wenger or f*ck off!!:mad:

Meh, I'm not sure that CB is a problem, we need another back-up for sure but after one appearance, people were saying Kos was the new Tony Adams and after another, he's totally awful.

The keeper thing is getting beyond a joke though. I'm terrified we're going though another season with every moment of every match underpinned by the sheer terror that Arsenal's current goalkeepers inspire.

He can't not buy a keeper. Seriously, he just can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Lads, with Spurs in the CL, Liverpool pushing to get back in, and City eventually going to get there, the last thing Arsenal needs is to sack Wenger.

Do that, and you'll be down around 7th place within two or three years.

Wenger has been working miracles with that budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Right lads i'm off on holidays for a few weeks. Enjoy your transfer speculation fun and keep the thread updated with all the enthralling developments on the Goalie/Defender front!

I'm so sick of hearing the excuse about money were fifth on the list of richest football teams, moving up 1 spot from last year.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/real-become-first-club-to-record-euro400m-revenue-1914130.html?action=Popup&ino=5

Weve sold players for big fees last season and not spent much of it, the loan on the stadium is now paid off, weve the dearest season ticket prices in the premiership and weve the 2nd highest gate receipts. Not to mention TV money, sponorship and merchandising which Im sure brings in a healthy amount of money.

The board have said theres money to spend, Wenger himself this summer has said money is no longer an excuse. Wenger's managing a football team not a bank. So if the only reason people think Wenger should stay is because of finances Id have to question that. His first job is bringing success to Arsenal and hes failed for the last 5 years and may fail again if he doesnt solve the problems that everyone else in football can seemingly see it may be another season.

Its not even the lack of success its how poor we play and how we seem to die out every season and not put up a fight

Any Arsenal fan calling for Wenger to be sacked needs their head examining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

The board have said theres money to spend, Wenger himself this summer has said money is no longer an excuse. Wenger's managing a football team not a bank. So if the only reason people think Wenger should stay is because of finances Id have to question that. His first job is bringing success to Arsenal and hes failed for the last 5 years and may fail again if he doesnt solve the problems that everyone else in football can seemingly see it may be another season.

Its not even the lack of success its how poor we play and how we seem to die out every season and not put up a fight

You say it like there is another manager who would have done better?

flahavaj wrote: »
    Any Arsenal fan calling for Wenger to be sacked needs their head examining.

no ones saying he should be sacked im certainly not im just asking people who give the impression that wenger should never be sacked to explain why. things change in football and wenger seems very set in his ways

#15 wrote: »

whos to say another manager wouldnt have done things different? And possibly done things better? Wenger is a great great manager but he just seems to have lost something the last few years. Blind faith in some really average players being the strangest

no ones saying he should be sacked im certainly not im just asking people who give the impression that wenger should never be sacked to explain why. things change in football and wenger seems very set in his ways

So he shouldn't be sacked but you'd still like debate why he should be kept in the job?

This makes no sense.
    whos to say another manager wouldnt have done things different? And possibly done things better? Wenger is a great great manager but he just seems to have lost something the last few years. Blind faith in some really average players being the strangest

Why are you talking about other managers if you don't want him sacked?

Make up your mind.

#15 wrote: »

Why is that such a far out thought?

Another manager could very well have done better in the last 5 years.

• Advertisement

So he shouldn't be sacked but you'd still like debate why he should be kept in the job?

This makes no sense.

Make up your mind.

Stop putting words in his mouth.

He's just saying why is there such a vocal element that refuse to ever criticise Wenger or even think another manager could do a better job.

I'm so sick of hearing the excuse about money were fifth on the list of richest football teams, moving up 1 spot from last year.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/real-become-first-club-to-record-euro400m-revenue-1914130.html?action=Popup&ino=5

Weve sold players for big fees last season and not spent much of it, the loan on the stadium is now paid off, weve the dearest season ticket prices in the premiership and weve the 2nd highest gate receipts. Not to mention TV money, sponorship and merchandising which Im sure brings in a healthy amount of money.

Yet some would prefer to claim we have no transfer budget and Wenger is working miracles, no manager could do better etc.

Some people will never change their views on Wenger even if we were relegated. I'm afraid the Wenger of the last 5 years is completely different to the man who started out here.

Stop putting words in his mouth.

He's just saying why is there such a vocal element that refuse to ever criticise Wenger or even think another manager could do a better job.

Constructive criticism is fine. But it has to be balanced. You can criticise a manager but at the same time it doesn't have to mean his future3 at the club be called into question.

As for putting words in his mouth, It was gibson himself that said:

I'm just wondering why he's contradicting himself.

Im not contradicting myself Im hoping Wenger can turn it around Id love nothing more. But im looking at facts as well, I dont want him sacked but Im not 100% sure about him anymore the way some Arsenal fans are. To me it seems theres different groups of Arsenal fans of late. Theres the 100% Arsene can do no wrong group, theres the unsure group that will at least wait until the end of the season and see what happens and theres the group that already want him sacked.

Im in the middle group Im willing to wait and see what happens and as I said I hope more than anything he turns it around. But his contract is up at the end of the season and if he doesnt win anything thats 6 years without a trophy. Should he be offered a new contract to mayeb do the exact same thing for however many more years? Thats all I was basically wondering, just wanted to see different opinions from Arsenal fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

This makes no sense.

Make up your mind.

No blindly following him when other managers could've done better without questioning him doesn't make sense. He's done a good job but we as fans are entitled to ask could someone else have done better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Arsenal fans caling for Wenger' s head after concede 5 goals in a preseason game. Ridiculous. Had we won 3-0 I don't these stupid comments would be being made.

ffs sometimes I just don't know what this forum is coming to...

Quazzie wrote: »
    No blindly following him when other managers without questioning him doesn't make sense. He's done a good job but we as fans are entitled to ask could someone else have done better.

Right, who could have done a better job and kept the players at the club that he had assembled? Start namimg names boys.

Im not contradicting myself Im hoping Wenger can turn it around Id love nothing more. But im looking at facts as well, I dont want him sacked but Im not 100% sure about him anymore the way some Arsenal fans are. To me it seems theres different groups of Arsenal fans of late. Theres the 100% Arsene can do no wrong group, theres the unsure group that will at least wait until the end of the season and see what happens and theres the group that already want him sacked.

That last group is alot bigger than some people realise. I've read alot of the forums and there are plenty who already want him sacked.

danlen wrote: »
    Arsenal fans caling for Wenger' s head after concede 5 goals in a preseason game. Ridiculous. Had we won 3-0 I don't these stupid comments would be being made.

I haven't seen anyone say he should be sacked?

See this is typical of what has been mentioned, the fact that not even the thought of another manager is not met with anger from that small blind faith crew.

And mate, this is the most positive Arsenal thread/forum on the internet. Read online gooner or Arsenal Mania and see what they are saying there. Get some perspective.

• Advertisement

danlen wrote: »

I think you'll find no one in their right mind would suggest that he should be sacked after a pre season game. If you read my comments I was talking about his performance for the last 5 years

Had we won 3-0 we'd still have a group of dodgy keepers and only 3 central defenders heading into our first premier leauge game, unless something happens very quick.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement