Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

gibson wrote: »
    hes too loyal to go to a bitter rival
    ...and he has stated many times that Arsenal will be his last non-national team job. I think when Wenger leaves if he doesn't move up into the boardroom he'll go on to the French national coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

#15 wrote: »
    Even if he got the sack? Loyalty would hardly be at play?

still wouldnt go in my opinion I actually think he'd never manage another English team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Quazzie wrote: »
    ...and he has stated many times that Arsenal will be his last non-national team job.

Fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

maybe who knows I just think he'd go for a more higher profile club City with their new owners dont seem to give their manager much backing. Hughes wouldve had to win the league to save his job he was a goner by the time they took over.

A club with huge ambtition and a massive transfer kitty is exactly the kind of job Mourinho takes and has taken so far in his career. I'm absolutely certain he'd choose City. In fact I was terrified they were gonna get him in the Summer before he went to Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

flahavaj wrote: »
    A club with huge ambtition and a massive transfer kitty is exactly the kind of job Mourinho takes and has taken so far in his career. I'm absolutely certain he'd choose City. In fact I was terrified they were gonna get him in the Summer before he went to Madrid.

I'd imagine he'd choose City over Arsenal too. Spend loads of money and win things straight away.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Financially, we're the 4th biggest club in England... at best.

Wenger may not have spent all the funds available to him in recent seasons but he is getting the club to perform at its weight nonetheless. Now maybe you expect the club to punch above its weight, but please bare in mind that the two clubs that have been hoovering up the trophies have been doing so with greater resources, and have been doing it under the stewardship of Alex Ferguson, the greatest manager in Manchester United's history and José Mourinho, a phenom supported by (until Man City) the largest financial backing in footballing history. Only this season past was there realistically a window where an underdog might have triumphed, but Carlo Ancelotti and a still strongly-Mourinho influenced Chelsea side scoring over 100 goals are hardly pushovers either.

The notion that Arsenal deserve more than we're getting at the moment is idealistic and unrealistic.

Regarding the comment that Wenger of the last five years is the not the same one of the five years prior, that is simply wrong. Wenger is exactly the same. He has the same curious blind spots to players and defence - remember the collapse after Sol got injured in 02/03? No goalkeeper, only 1 defender of repute, 38 year old Keown and Cygan were our backups, and what did he do? Sign no CB and sign Lehmann, who was a bit of a joke at that point. Stepanovs? Luzhny? Tavlaridis? Wright? Manninger?

What's changed is that our spending has gone down in light of being several hundred million in debt while instead of having one big spending rival to David-vs-Goliath, we've had two. Statistically our points tallys since 03/04 would have yielded us two league titles in the pre 03/04 era... but the league winning tallys have gone up. The season before we won the league unbeaten we finished with 78 points. Last season we finished with 75.

Oh, and buy a ****ing goalkeeper Wenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Financially, we're the 4th biggest club in England... at best.

How do you arrive at that?

Do you disagree?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

After City and Chelsea, surely Arsenal are next?

• Advertisement

Do you disagree?

Yes :p

We are certainly in a far better position compared to utd and Liverpool.

I don't know much about citys position, and I would still rather be in our position compared to chelsea.

Arsenal might be ahead of United now as they sold Ronaldo last summer and didn't spend much of the proceeds, but 1 season isn't enough of a sample to say. Historically they spent much more and their current squad is made up of many players that Arsenal have never come anywhere near to being able to afford (Rooney, Ferdinand, Berbatov etc). Not to mention they've still had a moderate outlay this year and continue to pay higher wages than Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

I love Arsenal F.C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

This thread is becoming idiotic.

The line that some seem to be taking, that Wenger has technically failed at his job since we last won a trophy is retarded.

If that's your argument, then you're basically saying that Pompey are a better model for success than Arsenal over the last few years because of their FA cup.

The only argument that makes any sense is that Wenger needs to learn how to push on from the foundations he's built. If there's money there then buy a goalkeeper fast and that sort of thing.

But this 'do x or fcuk off Wenger' sounds like a bunch of 14 year old's tbh. Who let them in here?

gosplan wrote: »
    As regards the question of how many other managers could have taken Arsenal this far with such a small net spend,

We are constantly told though that the financial situation is restraints that he puts upon himself. We are constantly told that he doesn't need to so the question is not whether another manager could've done better with the money Wenger used, it's whether another manager could've done better with the mone available to them. And personally I think most other managers, whether better generally or not would've bought a keeper by now and be more prepared for the start of this season than Wenger currently is.

We are constantly told though that the financial situation is restraints that he puts upon himself. We are constantly told that he doesn't need to so the question is not whether another manager could've done better with the money Wenger used, it's whether another manager could've done better with the mone available to them. And personally I think most other managers, whether better generally or not would've bought a keeper by now and be more prepared for the start of this season than Wenger currently is.

Apologies, I had edited that bit you quoted out.

I think we're halfway in agreement. There were obviously financial restraints in the past that Wenger was operating under. Now we'd rather he be a bit less frugal if the money's there to spend.

It's the people coming on here saying he's basically been a failure for the last five years that I'm in disagreement with.

I'm in total agreement on the keeper thing BTW but who's to know what's been happening behind the scenes? We have bought two pretty interesting young prospects this year though. We need a keeper and a backup defender. If we were to get just a decent keeper, that'd be three promising new first team signings in a summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Curse you Wenger you intend to stay till you are 65!!!

Wenger out now!!!! BUCKETFUL amounts of managers could have done better jobs!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

I don't think its a case of pro-Wenger vs anti-Wenger tbh but just a case of people viewing our lack of trophy wins differently. Of course we're all in the same boat generally, frustrated as its been so long since we've won something but at the same time we have to look at this objectively.

I mean it seems so simple doesn't it? One month ago we go and buy Hart, Jagielka, Hangleand, and Schweinsteiger, and bob's your uncle the league is in the bag. In all fairness lads Wenger isn't stupid, if thats the way things work don't you think it would have happened already. Wenger has already said this summer that he wants another centre-half and hasn't exactly come out and shown his faith in our keepers. How do we know what deals have been tried to be made behind the scenes? Just because they havn't materialised yet doesn't mean Wenger doesn't understand the situation we're in.

I'm not saying any of this to shoot down anyones opinion or say so-and-so is wrong, I'm saying this because I really do think we should keep the faith and stay optimistic otherwise what's the point?:D

Let's look forward to next Sunday. C'mon the Arsenal!!

According to the Deloitte football rich list we take in the 5th highest revenue in European football. The 2nd highest in the Premiership behind United. There has to be money available, money can longer be an excuse.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/7350337/Football-rich-list-Manchester-United-drop-to-third-as-Arsenal-overtake-Chelsea.html

Danlen you're probably right I'm sure he hasn't done absolutely nothing to try and solve the situation but how many times has he said oh we couldve signed this player we couldve signed that player. Reports suggested an extra 2 million wouldve got us Alonso a few seasons back that wouldve been one area pretty much sorted and I dont think we'd have to worry if song was out for any length of time. Instead theres a chance yet again that we rely on Diaby or Denilson to fill the boots :(

Yes he may have tried to sign a new keeper but god knows theres got to be better keepers than the 3 we have and not break the bank!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

mike65 wrote: »

Allez Arsene !!

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »

Saw that. Here come the good time, Arsène. ;)

L'prof wrote: »
    Saw that. Here come the good time, Arsène. ;)

hopefully he brings back the glory days :D

hopefully he brings back the glory days :D

I'll settle for a half-decent keeper

I'll settle for a half-decent keeper

lol that would be nice!

United started today's game with a £10M recently signed CB on the bench today despite having the English Captain out injured.

We need another CB, maybe even moreso than a keeper imo.

United started today's game with a £10M recently signed CB on the bench today despite having the English Captain out injured.

We need another CB, maybe even moreso than a keeper imo.

We definitely need another experienced defender I dread to think what would happen if Vermaelen was out for any lengthy period. BIG BIG risk on Koscielny as well. Not half the risk he took with Vermaelen in my opinion, Vermaelen played for Ajax in the Champions league captaining the side at one stage and also played for Belgium. A lot of people mightn't have known about him but that doesnt mean he was a risk.

Kos has played 1 season with Lorient in the French first divison, hopefully it works out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'm hoping AW pulls a CB and GK out of the bag before the end of the month. He's hinted that he's aware we need reinforcements,going into this campaign with what we've currently got is asking for trouble imo.

I see Sagna is on the official site espousing the virtues of Spahic,i wonder is there something afoot?

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/sagna-spahic-is-good-enough-for-arsenal

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

lord lucan wrote: »
    I'm hoping AW pulls a CB and GK out of the bag before the end of the month. He's hinted that he's aware we need reinforcements,going into this campaign with what we've currently got is asking for trouble imo.

I see Sagna is on the official site espousing the virtues of Spahic,i wonder is there something afoot?

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/sagna-spahic-is-good-enough-for-arsenal

Putting that on the official site is a bit too much like a Barca tactic imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Yesterday was depressing in the extreme.

Corcs001 wrote: »
    Putting that on the official site is a bit too much like a Barca tactic imo.

I don't like the way we've started mentioning transfer rumours on the official site. It comes across,like you say,as a Barca/Madrid type of tactic. It's the sort of thing best left to the Red tops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Its pretty frustrating that the exact problems that we knew we had last year are still there and we have done absolutely nothing to sort them out. We need a new goalkeeper who can organise the defence and actually catch the ball. If you look at last season goalkeeping errors cost us something like 12 points. We cannot afford to do that in what will probably be one of the tightest EPL seasons in a long.

The defence were awful. Everyone of those goals was caused by a defensive mistake, thats 5 flipping goals in one match. It may be a blessing in disguise that they played so badly because Wenger really needs to buy two people before the end of the window. And I don't want this Spahic guy, why can't we get someone who has been playing in the top leagues. Surely we can find a proven defender.

Hopefully we can pull in together by Sunday but with half the squad flying off for friendlies I doubt it. Liverpool looked impressive against Rabotonaki and their confidence is probably high and I think we need at least a point from this game. God I'm feeling depressed about Arsenals chances right now!

I'm hoping that Cesc only declaring that he was going to stay with us this week has meant that Arsene has had to hold off in the transfer market and that we might see some movement this week on the transfer front.

Even if we sign someone would they go straight into the team at Anfield with no pre season matches with the club :confused::eek:

Even if we sign someone would they go straight into the team at Anfield with no pre season matches with the club :confused::eek:

Unlikely I would say, bit worried about nxt week, no Cesc or RVP, :(

Really can't understand why Cesc only came back this week :(

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Really can't understand why Cesc only came back this week :(

And then goes to Mexico with Spain! Feckin' internationals!:mad:

And then goes to Mexico with Spain! Feckin' internationals!:mad:

Very :mad: all right, especially as it is against Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I imagine I'm alone on this but I'd rather like it if we won every game 6-5.Far more entertaining than 0-0.

I imagine I'm alone on this but I'd rather like it if we won every game 6-5.Far more entertaining than 0-0.

My ticker takes a hammering every season as it is,that would lead me to a coronary!!:eek:

Both Thierry and Freddie playing now, New York V Chicago live now on ESPN.

• Advertisement

Both Thierry and Freddie playing now, New York V Chicago live now on ESPN.

Go Titi and more importantly, go Wenger, go and sign some bloody players!

L'prof wrote: »
    Go Titi and more importantly, go Wenger, go and sign some bloody players!

Freddie looking very lively, sign him up Arsene :p

Freddie looking very lively, sign him up Arsene :p

Haha, no. Just no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Henry just gone off injured :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Probably utter crap but we can hope:
    Arsenal are pondering a move for Shay Given as Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini is set to name Joe Hart his number one goalkeeper.

Hart is set to earn the starting spot in net for both City and England as Fabio Capello is ready to make the 23-year-old his number one when the Three Lions take on Hungary in a friendly on Wednesday.

Gunners manager Arsene Wenger is desperate to solve his goalkeeping crisis and with Given looking at the possibility of sitting the bench, Arsenal are looking to make a move for the Republic of Ireland international, according to The Mirror.

Given would jump at the chance of moving to the Gunners, and would most likely join Arsenal on a loan deal.

Wenger’s interest in Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer has waned as the Gunners would have to pay a transfer fee and sign him to an expensive two-year deal.

The Frenchman looked into making a deal for Hart, who had a fantastic season on loan at Birmingham, but City see the Englishman as their goalkeeper of the future and are unwilling to give him up.

Given also enjoyed a fine term for the Eastlands club, but is still recovering from a shoulder injury that prematurely ended his season last year, and with Hart playing well in pre-season it looks as if Mancini could give the youngster the starting job at City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

We should have signed up Given years ago! If he is going to become a bench warmer at Man City we should snap him up.

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote: »
    We should have signed up Given years ago! If he is going to become a bench warmer at Man City we should snap him up.

I'd love to see Given join us. Maybe it's just me but he always seem to excel when playing against us,would keep everything out! Class keeper,he wants to be a first team regular and not a bench warmer,it's a match made in heaven.

I can dream anyway!:)

I'd love to see Given join us. Maybe it's just me but he always seem to excel when playing against us,would keep everything out! Class keeper,he wants to be a first team regular and not a bench warmer,it's a match made in heaven.

I can dream anyway!:)

While I would be delighted with Given joining us, the reason he excels against us is because he's an awesome shot-stopper.

Big Al and Fab would probably excel against us as well as shot-stopping is their strong point and we wouldn't test them with crosses forcing them to make choices.

Hang on .......

Do you think that's why they're still there? They look awesome in training because they're playing a game that doesn't exploit their weaknesses.

Yeah, I'm sure that they practice defending corners and the like, but given the size of our players and they way they approach the game, I'm sure it's nothing close to the real thing (i.e. Going for a 50/50 ball with someone like Samba standing on your toes digging his elbows into your ribs and trying to block your path).

Hang on .......

Do you think that's why they're still there? They look awesome in training because they're playing a game that doesn't exploit their weaknesses.

Yeah, I'm sure that they practice defending corners and the like, but given the size of our players and they way they approach the game, I'm sure it's nothing close to the real thing (i.e. Going for a 50/50 ball with someone like Samba standing on your toes digging his elbows into your ribs and trying to block your path).

That's part of the problem imo. On the training ground they look immense,diving left and right and keeping everything out. In saying that,we've seen first hand the evidence to the contrary on matchdays over the last couple of seasons in particular. It's what has me scratching my head,if i can see it how can AW not??!

That's part of the problem imo. On the training ground they look immense,diving left and right and keeping everything out. In saying that,we've seen first hand the evidence to the contrary on matchdays over the last couple of seasons in particular. It's what has me scratching my head,if i can see it how can AW not??!

In fairness I think he can see it, and he's all but acknowledged it. Under the circumstances, this is all the guy can do because regardless of whatever plans he has in place, Al and Fab are Arsenal players and he simply can't come out and say they're not good enough.

Kind of funny though, imagine a 6 hour training session of Walcott putting in crosses to Arshavin and Nasri. Big Al would look like a god between the sticks!!!

we've seen first hand the evidence to the contrary on matchdays over the last couple of seasons in particular.

Arseblog made a very interesting point the other day on this. Warsaw knew how crap Fab was at dealing with crosses and scored two goals from corners. As soon as Scheznickity came on they changed tactics.

Put simply, the back four must now be terrified whenever a corner or free kick is crossed in. It's the teams massive weakenss and they're going to get it everywhere they go this season.

Seriously the tactic v Arsenal is 'play it tight, defend with 9/10 men, knock it long and wide to the winger/forward who'll do his best to win a corner/free'

It is going to be a terrifying season to be an Arsenal fan unless a new keeper is signed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement