Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I really can't see City selling Given, knowing how he would improve the chances of a major rival. Be delighted if they did though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

While he'd certainly be a huge improvement on what we have; I feel Given is a little overrated by some people. As it stands; our back 4 is too small and lightweight while our GK inspires zero confidence despite being a decent enough shot stopper. This will cost us over the course of a season unless something changes before September comes - and even then its far from ideal needing someone to fit in immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Mancini has came out and said he won't sell either keeper but Given isn't worth of discussion to be honest. In new news a 'source' claims Tasci wants to join us http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/41904/EXCLUSIVE_Tasci_in_Arsenal_come_and_get_me_plea.aspx Just get him already Wenger, get anybody, play him in goal I don't really care

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

First time posting since the match. Watched the first half and had enough at that stage. There's no point any more going on about a new keeper. If we were getting one, he would have been in by now. It would take a keeper a couple of months to get used to new defensive plyers in front of him and we dont have that any more. So it looks like another season of trying to secure 3rd/4th along with a run to the q/f of the Champions League, final or semi final of the Carling Cup with the kids, and latter stages of the FA Cup.

Wake me up in March as injuries start to kick in and season starts to fizzle out again.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Corcs001 wrote: »
    Putting that on the official site is a bit too much like a Barca tactic imo.
    They've pulled it now... and I agree.

I ****ing HATE the transfer linked thing; never view it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Some sobering news from Gabriele Marcotti's ongoing Times webchat regarding our goalkeeper situation:

"I've been told he's been offered loads of goalkeepers, but isn't convinced by the prces... my guess is he won't buy anyone else... "

Having said that, as I've begun typing this message I've tweet re-tweeted by a Times journalist stating 'shay given says he will consider his future at manchester city if he isn't selected v tottenham this weekend.'

I will try send a question about this to Marcotti and see if he has any news on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'm happy Wilshere has been called up to England but I can already see what's going to happen to him say 2 or 3 years down the line when he's good enough for a starting place:

*He's good, quick, small and has a decent left foot....*

Manager: "What's your preferred position son?"
    Jack: "In the middle gaffer."
    Manager: "You're playing left wing today Jack."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Frisbee wrote: »

Manager: "What's your preferred position son?"
    Jack: "In the middle gaffer."
    Manager: "You're playing left wing today Jack."

:D sounds like Arsene!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Lordy, our backs look as dodgy as ever. Expect more 4-4 draws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Given on sky sports news saying he'll sit down with club next week if he doesn't start, to discuss a loan or permanent transfer away.

Smiles when asked if the move could lead to him playing in the champions league.

Sounds good would love to have Given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if Given becomes available, and you guys don't put in some sort of bid, i'll officially call Wenger as having totally lost the plot.

"i'll pay 10m for an unproven defender, but i won't pull my finger out and spend some money on a goalkeeper".

it's retarded at this stage.

i'm starting to think he doesn't consider GK as an important position so he won't spend money on it; and his policy is to just 'make do'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

I would love if we got Given.

Its going to make the City team selection very interesting from our perspective.

Will City bow to Given's demands or put Joe Hart in goal....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭patrickc

would also love if we got Given, IMo one of the best goalies in the premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Wouldn't put it past Man City to play Given until the transfer season is over and then put Joe Hart in goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Paleface wrote: »
    I would love if we got Given.

Its going to make the City team selection very interesting from our perspective.

Will City bow to Given's demands or put Joe Hart in goal....

I think they'll go with Hart. His loan spell, England international, younger, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

We will not be signing Shay Given. Lets not get our hopes up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

SlickRic wrote: »
    i'm starting to think he doesn't consider GK as an important position so he won't spend money on it; and his policy is to just 'make do'.

I wonder what the PL rules are on playing with a 'fly' keeper?! Could do worse than fielding 11 outfield players and last man back!:D

keano_afc wrote: »
    We will not be signing Shay Given. Lets not get our hopes up.
    Indeed. 'tis rather sickening to see that City got him for £6m while we're stuck with Almunia and Fabianski.

Indeed. 'tis rather sickening to see that City got him for £6m while we're stuck with Almunia and Fabianski.

Last keeper we spent £6m on was Richard Wright :eek:

Maybe that's why AW is so scared of splashing out...

• Advertisement

Cheeky bid for Friedel before Villa have a new manager in place?

... and they got him for £2.5m. Sigh :(

Wasn't Fabianski rather expensive? As far as I can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Cheeky bid for Friedel before Villa have a new manager in place?

... and they got him for £2.5m. Sigh :(

I'd take a couple of those defenders too.

Fabianski cost £2m as I recall.

Aye, Dunne or Collins would be nice too!

Come on Arsene, sign someone...

I'd definitely take Dunne and Friedel

Dunne and Given; bringing back some Irlandais to the club :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Apparently, O'Neil left Villa as Villa wanted to sell Friedel to Fulham so Fulham could sell Schwarzer to Arsenal. Just heard this on 5 Live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

cut out the middle man. we'll take friedel :D

Anyone else hear we are interested in Vincent Kompany, I think he would be a decent buy as he could play centre-half and cover for Song in the DM position

Is Billy G still training with us or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

Did ppl see what Given said at a recent press conference, as says the daily mail -

'To discuss now would be a little disrespectful to the goalkeepers they have already. Arsenal are a fantastic club, it's just too soon.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1301582/Shay-Given-ready-quit-Manchester-City-Joe-Hart-Eastlands-choice.html#ixzz0w8oOxtDr

I know it'd be ridiculos for them to sell to us but clearly he would jump sat the chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Of course he'd jump at the chance. It's a no brainer for him, it's a no brainer for Arsenal. However if City had any sense they'd never let him go to Arsenal.

I don't think he's the greatest goalkeeper in the world, but he could be worth 10 points a season to Arsenal. That's more a reflection on the current state of the Arsenal goalkeeping situation than it is Given's abilities though.

cson wrote: »
    Is Billy G still training with us or what?
    Nah, I'm pretty sure we'd have heard about it by now if he was. He certainly wasn't spotted at any of the public training sessions the club has had thus far.

It's pretty funny that he hasn't been able to find a club willing to pay him what he wants. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up re-signing for us again as the season begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

greendom wrote: »
    Apparently, O'Neil left Villa as Villa wanted to sell Friedel to Fulham so Fulham could sell Schwarzer to Arsenal. Just heard this on 5 Live

Think I would rather have Friedel, but obviously Schwarzer over the two we have now :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Think I would rather have Friedel, but obviously Schwarzer over the two we have now :p

But Fabianski is just misunderstood

peabutler wrote: »

As in we misunderstand how the hell the guy ever came to mind nets for Arsenal in the first place?

Cos then I agree with you!

peabutler wrote: »

He does have sort of emo hair. Wonder if he writes poetry after training?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up re-signing for us again as the season begins.
    Thinking this the other day alright. It's funny - given our current CB shortage, I suppose I'd be happy if it happened but it really wouldn't fill you with confidence about his motivation.

I think there's been a huge amount of crap spoken about Gallas, who ultimately was an excellent defender for us (albeit individually, rather than as an organiser or whatever), but he does have a touch of the mercenary about him which would worry me.

If Gallas re-signed and was happy to split his share of games I'd be delighted tbh.

gosplan wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm sure that they practice defending corners and the like
    You think? Seriously, I wonder sometimes.

Also, the pulled Spahic article is here for anyone who was wondering. Poor judgment really (to run it in the first place).

If Gallas re-signed and was happy to split his share of games I'd be delighted tbh.
    I'd be delighted if Fabianski resigned I think...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    You think? Seriously, I wonder sometimes.

Also, the pulled Spahic article is here for anyone who was wondering. Poor judgment really (to run it in the first place).

Poor form alright. Does Sagna say anything except "good" and "welcome"? Maybe not so much "welcome", only 2 of them, but 6 "good"s!

L'prof wrote: »
    Poor form alright. Does Sagna say anything except "good" and "welcome"? Maybe not so much "welcome", only 2 of them, but 6 "good"s!

He like most of the current squad need to do less talking imo, one of the things thnat bugs me about arsenal.com is the regular player interviews particularly after we have got beaten, saying things like we need to step up to the mark or we will not make that mistake again, just get on with it :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

He like most of the current squad need to do less talking imo, one of the things thnat bugs me about arsenal.com is the regular player interviews particularly after we have got beaten, saying things like we need to step up to the mark or we will not make that mistake again, just get on with it :mad:

Don't read them to be honest. It's bad enough watching the crap without having to read about how they know exactly what went wrong and how to rectify ot only for the exact same thing to happen the following week!

Don't read them to be honest. It's bad enough watching the crap without having to read about how they know exactly what went wrong and how to rectify ot only for the exact same thing to happen the following week!

I tend not to read them but going on the website everyday at the moment to check if we have signed anyone and to see when Friday night on Arsenal tv is back, hopefully it will be back this week.

Does Sagna say anything except "good" and "welcome"? Maybe not so much "welcome", only 2 of them, but 6 "good"s!
    Well he did learn English under Arsene, who, as we know, likes to say "good player" from time to time ;)

going on the website everyday at the moment to check if we have signed anyone
    Don't put yourself through such torture.

Although I'm sure Bendtner will get the LANS treatment when he comes back from his 'small, small' injury in November.

We're done in the transfer market this window I reckon aside from some unknown (again) CB we're sure to sign.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Don't put yourself through such torture.

Although I'm sure Bendtner will get the LANS treatment when he comes back from his 'small, small' injury in November.

Cesc staying is like a new signing :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

watch this its classic,arshavin!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrw4IlKRPmc

• Advertisement

We're done in the transfer market this window I reckon aside from some unknown (again) CB we're sure to sign.

Think we might get Hart or Given on loan, well hoping anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement