Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

_Bella_ wrote: »
    I know, what other team starts the season with half their first team injured?

Well we hockeyed Everton on the first day last season. They had loads of injuries. I wouldn't say they were quite as horrific as what is being reported for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Galvasean wrote: »
    Well we hockeyed Everton on the first day last season. They had loads of injuries. I wouldn't say they were quite as horrific as what is being reported for us.

Jesus that was a year ago :eek::eek: Doesn't seem like a year ago, someone is definitely robbing time or maybe I'm just getting older :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I can't believe the season hasn't even started and we're already in the middle of an injury crisis...

Seriously though, how can a team be missing it's 5 first choice CMs on the first day of a new campaign?

Galvasean wrote: »
    Seriously though, how can a team be missing it's 5 first choice CMs on the first day of a new campaign?

Because we have great belief, we are a team that is maturing and we just need that little bit more.

I guess this will be our starting 11 for Sunday:
    Almunia
    Sagna----Koscielny---Vermaelen----Clichy
    Wilshere
    Frimpong
    Nasri----
    Walcott
    Arshavin-
    Chamakh

Frimpong and Wilshere have looked good in pre-season but I'd be worried about their first EPL performances being against Liverpool but it looks as if we may have no choice with no Fabregas, Song, Denilson or Diaby. Arshavin is a doubt but hopefully he will be alright for Sunday.

If Arshavin is out I was gonna say we could go with Vela, but since he's playing in Mexico this week he probably wont start. So I suppose that only leaves Rosicky (ironically one of our few non injured players). Whose next in line, JET?

Frisbee wrote: »
    Because we have great belief, we are a team that is maturing and we just need that little bit more.

Dont forget tremendous spirit.

Actually Im regretting getting tickets to these reserve games in Tallaght. t this rate we wont have any reserves! Heck, they might let me play!

Speaking of those matches, my tickets to United Reserves v Arsenal Reserves arrived yesterday. It seems United have main billing (big writing) with Arsenal as the support act (small lettering)

Shít I meant to book those last week, I wonder is it too close now to have them delivered by the time the game is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

We're in a perpetual injury crisis.

Old news at this stage tbh. :P

Youll get the Shamrock rovers one alright, I havent recieved mine yet. The United game might be pusing it, you know An Post...

You can probably buy them at a ticketmaster outlet (no need for delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

I'd actually love to see him against us purely because he'll get a super reception at the Grove. Given the way last season went for him, especially the second half, there was no real goodbye from the fans (although he had his 'personal message' on the site).
    With the North London Club adding Marouane Chamakh to their offensive department
    I presume they're talking about his hair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Whatever about poland, lets hope that he doesnt meet his arsenal target then eh!

http://www.thegunninghawk.com/2010/08/11/lukasz-fabianskis-double-task-number-1-for-arsenal-and-poland/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Looks good on the Schwarzer front:
    Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer is believed to have handed in a transfer request to make his way to Arsenal.

The 37-year-old shot-stopper was a pivotal part of the Cottagers' sensational Europa League run last term, and has been widely tipped to make a move to north London and join the Gunners - who were previously reported to have offered the Australian a player-coach role at the club.

The new manager of the west Londoners, Mark Hughes, had recently maintained that he intends to hold onto the former Middlesbrough 'keeper.

But it appears as thought the veteran custodian has other plans, as The Sun claims that he has handed in a transfer request to make a move away from the club.

Fulham have already rejected a £2 million bid from Arsenal in the past, for the services of Schwarzer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Looks good on the Schwarzer front:

The Sun made up this story it seems :eek::eek::eek:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/7938371/Fulham-deny-Mark-Schwarzer-has-handed-in-transfer-request.html
    A Fulham spokeswoman said: "The club has not received a transfer request from Mark Schwarzer.

"Mark is under contract with us until the summer of 2011 and the manager has underlined his commitment to keep hold of his best players."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Whatever the deal with Schwarzer, Wenger has left this far too late. New keeper should have been a priority before the World Cup, which iirc was when he said all dealings would be done.

Nobody can argue that we're starting this season weaker than last season. And thats crazy really.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Arsène Wenger has promoted five Reserve team players to the first-team squad for the new season. The five-some are set to feature prominently in the Carling Cup campaign. However, Frimpong is in contention to make his Premier League debut at Anfield on Saturday. It’s not yet clear what part the new first-team players will play in the new 25 man rule, as they’re all under 21, and are eligible to count as over the limit.

Frimpong, Emmanuel-Thomas, Lansbury, Nordtveit and Eastmond are all poised to be allocated new squad numbers later this week.
    http://younggunsblog.co.uk/2010/08/wenger-promotes-five-reserves-to-first-team-squad/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

5 New signings in one day,. We forgive you Arsene.

Wait a minute something smells fishy about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

So Nordy is are no.4 Centre Back, at least he has some top level expereince with Nurnberg, really think he could turn out to be a big player.

BTW is Rosicky fit for Sunday, if so my team would be

Big Al

Sagna Kosinecly Verminator Clichy

Frimpong (Song)

Nasri
    Wilshere

----Walcott

Rosicky

---- ---Chamakhattack

Subs:

Flappyianski
    Djourou
    Eboue
    Gibbs
    Vela
    Fabregas
    Van Persie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Is Arshavin def out for sunday then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Sigh.

Read an interview with Jose Mourhino the other day.

He said that though Ramos was a top player he still had things to learn and because Marcello was only 21, a new defender was needed at Real.

Frisbee wrote: »
    I can't believe the season hasn't even started and we're already in the middle of an injury crisis...

When did we ever get out of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

When did we ever get out of it?

Too bloody right, it's been going on for years at this stage!

Would take this with a pinch of salt, but hey I'd take all three :p
    Arsenal scout Giles Grimandi watched Montpellier pair Emir Spahic and Mapou Mbiwa-Yanga in action last weekend, according to L'Equipe.

The duo performed impressively as the hosts dispatched Jean Tigana's side 1-0. With the Gunners scratching for defensive numbers after the exits of Mikael Silvestre, Sol Campbell, William Gallas and Philippe Senderos the players could be set for a move.

Mbiwa-Yanga is a 21-year-old full back, while Bosnia international Spahic could compliment new boy Laurent Koscielny. Rumoured target Yoann Gourcuff was also in action during the match.

L'prof wrote: »
    Too bloody right, it's been going on for years at this stage!
    I'm convinced Wenger sold his soul to the devil in 2003 in exchange for an injury free campaign during the unbeaten season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003%E2%80%9304_Arsenal_F.C._season

Check this **** out - players with more than 10 starts in all competitions -
    2003/04                2009/10
    Lehmann, 54            Almunia, 36
    Lauren, 45             Sagna, 39
    Campbell, 50           Gallas, 35
    Toure, 53              Vermaelen, 45
    Cole, 47               Clichy, 32
    Ljungberg, 40          Nasri, 29
    Vieira, 43             Fabregas, 35
    Gilberto, 40           Song, 37
    Pires, 46              Diaby, 35
    Henry, 50              Arshavin, 32

Bergkamp, 29           Denilson, 25
    Edu, 28                Eboue, 24
    Parlour, 27            Bendtner, 21
                           Rosicky, 20

Cygan, 14              van Persie, 18
    Wiltord, 14            Eduardo, 17
    Clichy, 14             Silvestre, 16
    Reyes 12               Walcott, 15
                           Campbell, 13
                           Ramsey, 12
                           Traore, 12
                           Fabianski, 10

Insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

peabutler wrote: »
    So Nordy is are no.4 Centre Back, at least he has some top level expereince with Nurnberg, really think he could turn out to be a big player.

BTW is Rosicky fit for Sunday, if so my team would be

Big Al

Sagna Kosinecly Verminator Clichy

Frimpong (Song)

Nasri
    Wilshere

----Walcott

Rosicky

---- ---Chamakhattack

Subs:

Flappyianski
    Djourou
    Eboue
    Gibbs
    Vela
    Fabregas
    Van Persie

Personally, seeing as we are away from home with a severly weakened team, I would like to see Eboue start instead of Theo. When the game is tight I actually think Eboue offers slightly more than Theo. Impact role again might suit Theo for this game. On the flipside there is the posssibility that could damage Theo's presumably already low confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Would take this with a pinch of salt, but hey I'd take all three :p

Quote:
    "Arsenal scout Giles Grimandi watched Montpellier pair Emir Spahic and Mapou Mbiwa-Yanga in action last weekend, according to L'Equipe.

The duo performed impressively as the hosts dispatched Jean Tigana's side 1-0. With the Gunners scratching for defensive numbers after the exits of Mikael Silvestre, Sol Campbell, William Gallas and Philippe Senderos the players could be set for a move.

Mbiwa-Yanga is a 21-year-old full back, while Bosnia international Spahic could compliment new boy Laurent Koscielny. Rumoured target Yoann Gourcuff was also in action during the match."

Actually,could we just have super Giles come out of retirement,we'd be immense with him in the side!:)

lord lucan wrote: »
    Quote:
    "Arsenal scout Giles Grimandi watched Montpellier pair Emir Spahic and Mapou Mbiwa-Yanga in action last weekend, according to L'Equipe.

Mbiwa-Yanga is a 21-year-old full back, while Bosnia international Spahic could compliment new boy Laurent Koscielny. Rumoured target Yoann Gourcuff was also in action during the match."

Actually,could we just have super Giles come out of retirement,we'd be immense with him in the side!:)

Sign the three of them to **** and away with this 'right player - right price' ****. If the three of them turn out to be ****e then fair enough I'll never question the policy again but at least we'll have tried. It's times like this I wish Football Manager was real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Fabs starts for Spain tonight so I presume he will be playing Sunday

• Advertisement

Warper wrote: »
    Fabs starts for Spain tonight so I presume he will be playing Sunday

He does, do you have a link? Hardly fúcking surprising :mad: He'll play the 90 mins and come back injured and not play for a couple of months...can't wait!

He does, do you have a link? Hardly fúcking surprising :mad: He'll play the 90 mins and come back injured and not play for a couple of months...can't wait!

Do you not believe me?

http://www.flashscore.com/detail/soccer.php?match=417879&gmt_offset=-7200&tab=1

Did I say I didn't believe you? I didn't realise the match had started.

Did I say I didn't believe you? I didn't realise the match had started.

I was only jokin, Spain 1 down already, Hernandez scored

I was only jokin, Spain 1 down already, Hernandez scored

United wánkfest so!

Vela's just gone off after a little over 50 minutes and Cesc appears to have gone off at half time.

So not all that bad. Though obviously it's the flights and time away from Arsenal training that really suck.

I'm not sure he should start on Sunday but I'll be very surprised if he's not on the bench. Especially if Diaby and Denilson are out through injury, rather than lack of fitness - we'd almost need Cesc just to make up the midfield numbers at that stage.

D'you know what, though? It's a good problem to have with Fabregas in a way - much better than having the 'how do we cope now that he's at Barca' problem anyway.

G'wan the club for not selling!

Anyone watch the England game? I know Theo, Gibbs and Wilshire played, any info on how they did?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

If stats are your thing...

5 - Theo Walcott has managed 5 successful dribbles in the 1st half vs Hungary, at least 3 more than any English winger at the 2010 WC. Run

• Advertisement

For those with Arsenal TV

Happy days roll on the Fans Forum with Lofty on Friday nights :)

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/the-big-match-experience-on-arsenal.com

New York Red Bulls game just started now on ESPN imo

Go Bulls go!!!! 1 to 0 to the Bulls , great work by Thierry in the build up.

Get the hot dogs in imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

has fabregas or van persie played a pre season game yet, they will hardly start v liverpool ,will they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I think RVP could make it. Has a nice week of hard work this week and Cesc imo will be on the bench regardless.

Feeling oddly confident going into this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

OPENROAD wrote: »
    New York Red Bulls game just started now on ESPN imo
    Wait did it start, or was it just your opinion that it started? :P

Unfortunately I'm not so confident. Liverpool have had a confidence boosting pre-season and with confidence Liverpool can be a good side. With us having a potentially untried and untested midfield ready to start this game then I'm seriously lacking in confidence.

These games don't always follow to form though.

• Advertisement

I'd be delighted with a draw...unfortunately!

SDTimeout wrote: »
    If stats are your thing...

5 - Theo Walcott has managed 5 successful dribbles in the 1st half vs Hungary, at least 3 more than any English winger at the 2010 WC. Run

13165713v1_225x225_Front.jpg

If we are going to win then Nasri is going to have to have one of his best games ever in an Arsenal shirt. Almunia (please not Flapianski) must not make any stupid mistakes. Hopefully N'gog will be starting for them and he seems to miss a lot of sitters and often can't decide what to do with the ball. Koscienly and Vermalen are going to have to work well together and keep their concentration for the whole match.

Frimpong is going to need to play alot better then what we have seen so far. He will probably be dealing mainly with Joe Cole who is going into this game with something to prove Gerrad is also coming in on a high after scoring twice against Hungary and he will be full of confidence. Lucas is also coming in after what many people are proclaiming his best performance in a club or country shirt. If their midfield continue to perform like they have already this week then we are going to have problems!

Arshavin started against Russia so I assume he will be alright for Sundays game. Hopefully he will do what we all know he can! Walcott will need to take Aurelio on and put in some decent crosses and not get caught in possession.

Poulsen has signed/ is about to sign for Liverpool which means Mascherano is probably out. This is probably good for us because imo Mash is a far better player. I think that we can win this match if we keep our concentration and we take our chances. I'll be happy with a draw though.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Whatever the deal with Schwarzer, Wenger has left this far too late. New keeper should have been a priority before the World Cup, which iirc was when he said all dealings would be done.

Nobody can argue that we're starting this season weaker than last season. And thats crazy really.
    I can!

Still want us two sign a keeper and a CB though... and a DM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I can!

Still want us two sign a keeper and a CB though... and a DM.

I want that too, doesnt mean it will happen though. Do you really think we're in a better position to challenge than we were 12 months ago?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement