Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Frisbee wrote: »
    I doubt there is any truth to that but if there is the slightest chance it did happen we should be onto FIFA about tapping up immediately.

Not that that's much of a deterrent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Annoyed by the change to the NLD as i wanted to head over for that again. Unless it's a 1:30 kick off i don't think i could be back in ireland that night.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Cant get excited about Koscielny at all for some reason. I guess I'm still having nightmares about the last unheralded centre half we signed from the French League. Wasnt Cygan meant to be "the best uncapped player in France" before he joined us?

True, but he could also prove to be another Vermaelen. Ill keep an open mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Koscielny seems to be the direct replacement for Gallas. Supposed to be a good tackler, who's strengths are his reading of the game and his positioning, so if that's true he should make a good partner for Vermaelen. I've also read though he isn't the strongest, so I can see a few nervy moments next season against the likes of Fuller etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Koscielny seems to be the direct replacement for Gallas. Supposed to be a good tackler, who's strengths are his reading of the game and his positioning, so if that's true he should make a good partner for Vermaelen. I've also read though he isn't the strongest, so I can see a few nervy moments next season against the likes of Fuller etc.

Of course, I mean after all, Arsenal don't like it up 'em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Of course, I mean after all, Arsenal don't like it up 'em.

That's right - they moan when they get their legs broken below the knee - wimps !

Ah now, leave poor Ryan alone. He's a good lad, he is! Never even hurt a flea.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jul/06/spain-world-cup-cesc-fabregas
    Cesc Fábregas may miss Spain's World Cup semi-final against Germany tomorrow after suffering an injury in training.

The Spanish football federation says Fábregas had scans on his right leg after hurting it in a closed training session on yesterday. He will rest for the remainder of today and remain under observation.

Fábregas has played 93 minutes across three of Spain's five matches so far but is in contention for a starting spot against Germany after impressing in the quarter-final win over Paraguay as a second-half replacement for Fernando Torres.

I read yesterday actually that he spent most of yesterday morning in hospital, it would be typical for him not to even play that much yet still come back injured...

Bentdner is coming back crocked too, so he's not going to get a preseason either.

Fantastic altogether. I await RVP going over on his ankle later with morbid fascination...

• Advertisement

Fantastic altogether. I await RVP going over on his ankle later with morbid fascination...

no, he's coming back with a dodgy shoulder he's playing through at the moment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Why do Arsenal players play through injuries when on international duty but not for the club?

Is the club too soft on its policy of them playing through injuries?

Fabregas was the only one I remember playing through an injury last season when he came on for that fantastic cameo against Villa.

But apart from that I can't remember any.

It especially got on my nerves when we were losing players left right and centre towards the end of the season and all we were told was that they were injured and their season was over.

Surely some of them could have come back sooner.

Rooney regularly played with an ankle injury for United.

I heard a Cesc quote of him being willing to get an injection so he could play for Spain albeit I think that was for a shoulder injury and not for the recent knock he took in training.

I think it's Wenger's policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

Haha thats ridiculos! A totally unproven Headcase, who could turn out well for a world class player who is our captain!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

van Persie appears to be changing his shirt number, probably the vacant #10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

van Persie appears to be changing his shirt number, probably the vacant #10.

Where did you hear that? :confused: that'd be strange to change from 11 to 10?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The club store. It has a disclaimer saying Robin has requested a shirt number change.

gibson wrote: »
    Where did you hear that? :confused: that'd be strange to change from 11 to 10?

I suppose its the whole 'Long term successor to Bergkamp' factor. Though he is no9 for Holland so perhaps maybe eduardo will swap with him :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

_Bella_ wrote: »
    HAHAHA

i hope they are told in no uncertain terms where they can shove their "offer"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

I suppose its the whole 'Long term successor to Bergkamp' factor. Though he is no9 for Holland so perhaps maybe eduardo will swap with him :D

ah just read on another site that apparently 10 is his favorite number so that makes sense now! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Eduardo wouldn't swap with Bendtner last season when Nick said "I should have number 9 being our number 1 striker...."

It will look so wrong if RVP isn't wearing 11...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Rumour for today:
    Arsenal are ready to pay £20m for German playmaker Mesut Ozil, having trailed the 21-year-old for months. Ozil has one year left on his contract at Werder Bremen.

Please say its true :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

It will look so wrong if RVP isn't wearing 11...
    +1

maybe that will free up a 1st team number so Bendtner can get rid of the ridiculous 52 jersey! WTF was up with that!

And also... on Ozil - c'mon Wenger, mach schnell mit ze euros!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Rumour for today:

Please say its true :D

Sadly, I'd say we're too far behind in the queue for him.

Still, we've a striker and a defender pretty much confirmed now. I say give Campbell the contract he wants and then blow the rest of the cash on Ozil.

Still a bit light in middle of the pitch/DMF though.

Can we have Schweinsteiger too?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Oezil would be a great addition.

Had to laugh at this quote from Rosell regarding the Cesc chase: "It's a topic that has become so public and that's the worst thing you can do with a transfer..."

Yeah pal, it has become public. And you dont have to look very far to find the cause of that, you muppet. Sort your players out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Ozil would be a dream signing. the guy is going to be a superstar. Unfortunately I'd say Bayern have their eyes on him which is where I expect him to end up long term.

Holy crap what has Rosicky done to his hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Holy crap what has Rosicky done to his hair.

Well if it makes him less injury prone and gets him back to his form from when he signed, I am all for it :D

I'd rather a goalie/CB than Ozil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ozil in, Rosicky and Eduardo out.

I'd well believe Wenger was tracking him during the season, seen him a few times on ESPN he was quality too.
    But Eduardo looked so happy to be back at the training ground yesterday :(. I actually hope we keep faith with Eduardo that's why i would say Wenger is giving him the pre season to see if he is sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Would like to see ozil in the side alright, Eduardo, Rosicky, prob Eboue and cash in on Arshavin if the price is right.

I was thinking of something yesterday, maybe I'm crazy but let me know.

Maybe we haven't signed a keeper because we're not going to, Akinfeev is out of contract in January and it would be very like Wenger to hold off until we can get him on a free, and just stick with the traffic cones we have for the first half of the season.

I really doubt this is the case but it would be nice if it was...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If he's out of contract in 6 months then surely he could be bought now for a reasonable fee.

If he's out of contract in 6 months then surely he could be bought now for a reasonable fee.

We could have done the saem with Chamakh but didn't.

If it were a plan I could see it backfiring massively when United swoop for him to replace VDS and we're left with Almunlol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Maybe we haven't signed a keeper because we're not going to, Akinfeev is out of contract in January and it would be very like Wenger to hold off until we can get him on a free, and just stick with the traffic cones we have for the first half of the season.

It would be just like him. Hold out until January and try and get him then, only to miss out to a bigger team willing to pay more in wages. Queue another deadline day deal for some stopgap keeper to fall through!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

We could have done the saem with Chamakh but didn't.

If it were a plan I could see it backfiring massively when United swoop for him to replace VDS and we're left with Almunlol.

Bordeaux were still asking for £10m or something stupid like that though. And yes, i'd be wary of the fact united will be looking for a keeper too. Luckily though their massive transfer budget days seem to be over for now.

Problem with that is we're then stuck with 2 clowns for 4 months of the season, during which time we could be out of the running once all the injuries kick in.

• Advertisement

I'd be fairly certain it isn't at all the case but I'm using it to console myself....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

If we go through another transfer window without replacing the Almunia/Fabianski axis of sh1t, and we have the same goalkeeping issues this season as we did last season, I will probably be calling for Wenger's head.

The rumours linking us to Akinfeev have never seemed credible... I think we'll end up without a new GK this window, there just isn't anyone out there who would convince me that doesn't cost stupid money.

Schwarzer will come in I'd say.

One of the Italian papers is saying Arsenal are still in for Melo, and that a swap deal with Clichy going the other way is on the table. URL="http://www.corrieredellosport.it/calcio/mondiali_2010/2010/07/07-119398/Juve%2C+scambio+Felipe+Melo-Clichy"]link[/URL

One of the Italian papers is saying Arsenal are still in for Melo, and that a swap deal with Clichy going the other way is on the table. URL="http://www.corrieredellosport.it/calcio/mondiali_2010/2010/07/07-119398/Juve%2C+scambio+Felipe+Melo-Clichy"]link[/URL

Pass

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_6250173,00.html

Lets hope he's as good as Cygan was bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

I go on holiday and come back to a new thread with 14 pages already, madness :p

Interesting, they can't pay what they have and they want to bring in more, I wonder did Pique tell Cesc about this

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/barcelona-players-not-paid-last-month-464554.html

Any one hear about Dan Gosling today?
    What a pure balls up by Everton. He Definitely would be a Wenger type of signing and a player i like anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

So Barca have money problems. Well we know what to do then don't we. Slap an even bigger price on Cesc and if they want him they can pay it. They say they have €89 million to spend on players. Set his price at €90 Million so.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement