Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Frisbee wrote: »
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-talking-to-definite-transfer-targets-

I'll highlight some keywords for you too so it will be abundantly clear there was no promise:

I was gonna post this but you beat me to it Frisbee FACT!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

It means Cavalieri will be leaving, as he's gotten tired of sitting on the bench.

Means nothing for Pepe.
    I wouldn't say it means nothing to me, but I guess it's true I'm not THAT interested in Liverpool's back-up goalkeeper situation.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Tickets to blackburn away are General sale folk, jus thought i'd let ye know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

UGHH i had this same discussion with you when i said wenger said we would win a trophy last season.

Once again, you seem to be confusing him saying we're good enough to win a trophy with him promising we will win a trophy.
    well then why does wenger come out with this tripe if there is a chance it wont happen,it fills the majority of arsenal fans with false hope.

Em, because he's the manager. would you prefer if he came out and said:

"This team isn't good enough to win anything, our players are useless and I can't wait for my contract to be up and I can jump ship."
    not you of course,because you understand wenger in a way others dont.

Ah sniping, no surer way to make yourself look petty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I wouldn't say it means nothing to me, but I guess it's true I'm not THAT interested in Liverpool's back-up goalkeeper situation.

Keep your stinking mitts off our future captain :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Keep your stinking mitts off our future captain :D

Brad Jones? :pac:

Brad Jones? :pac:

No you can have him.

Just not Pepe or Gulacsi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Quazzie wrote: »
    we've seldom been able to match United financially and even though we're told the money's there, I still await confirmation of this.
    I think we all need to be more realistic about how attractive a proposition Arsenal are as well. The last few years we haven't looked like winning much (understandably given stadium, etc.) which definitely puts us slightly further down the pecking order when it comes to the top top (© Sky Sports) players.
    well then why does wenger come out with this tripe if there is a chance it wont happen,it fills the majority of arsenal fans with false hope.
    Even if he had promised to win a trophy, why would you just believe him rather than assessing our chances yourself? Clearly it's not something anyone can guarantee - way more clubs than trophies.

Once again, you seem to be confusing him saying we're good enough to win a trophy with him promising we will win a trophy.

Em, because he's the manager. would you prefer if he came out and said:

"This team isn't good enough to win anything, our players are useless and I can't wait for my contract to be up and I can jump ship."

Ah sniping, no surer way to make yourself look petty.

i mean he should stop coming out with we might sign players before the world cup,im confident we will win a trophy,trust me in the transfer market etc because you know aswell as i do the majority of arsenal fans want and know we need 2-3 more players and it might just be enough to finally deliver a trophy.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    Liverpool have agreed a fee of around 2.5million with Boro for keeper Brad Jones.

You.... don't .... think ....
    Oh my, I do believe you're right.

Liverpool are spending more on a backup keeper than we are on a 1st choice! :D

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    I think we all need to be more realistic about how attractive a proposition Arsenal are as well. The last few years we haven't looked like winning much (understandably given stadium, etc.) which definitely puts us slightly further down the pecking order when it comes to the top top (© Sky Sports) players.

Even if he had promised to win a trophy, why would you just believe him rather than assessing our chances yourself? Clearly it's not something anyone can guarantee - way more clubs than trophies.

i dont beleive it believe me!!but i think it conveniently keeps the wenger brigade happy,and we all know the board are happy no matter what,with the amount of money wenger saves them,even if it means challenginf for top 4 and reaching the last 4/8 of the champions league.

but come may we will hear the usual excuses,injuries cost us.....

when really our inept keeper and woeful defence will be our downfall.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Oh my, I do believe you're right.

Liverpool are spending more on a backup keeper than we are on a 1st choice! :D

Chances are we will probably get the same if not more for Cavalieri, so it's not as if we're going nuts.

As a special offer how would you feel about Cavalieri for £5m......deal might take a while to go through.... probably Monday at the earliest though ;)

i dont beleive it believe me!!but i think it conveniently keeps the wenger brigade happy,and we all know the board are happy no matter what,with the amount of money wenger saves them,even if it means challenginf for top 4 and reaching the last 4/8 of the champions league.

but come may we will hear the usual excuses,injuries cost us.....

when really our inept keeper and woeful defence will be our downfall.

Go support City tbh. You might still not get the trophies but you'll at least be happy about the transfer policy.

If the last link you posted comes true, it now looks as though this summer will result in us getting a young up and coming central defender to partner Vermaelen, a good striker to compete up top, and a very experienced and competent keeper.

Sorry if you feel you've been lied to because it all didn't happen before the world cup.

Sorry also if you expected 4 potential new first team players to come in (last club to do that before Chelsea and City please?)

Go support City tbh. You might still not get the trophies but you'll at least be happy about the transfer policy.

If the last link you posted comes true, it now looks as though this summer will result in us getting a young up and coming central defender to partner Vermaelen, a good striker to compete up top, and a very experienced and competent keeper.

Sorry if you feel you've been lied to because it all didn't happen before the world cup.

Sorry also if you expected 4 potential new first team players to come in (last club to do that before Chelsea and City please?)

is it a crime to expect arsenal,one of the most richest clubs in the world to compete in the league??

your go follow city or chelsea statement has been done to death by the wenger brigade,its ridiculous really,all the fans are asking for is to show a bit of ambition and sign the players we need,instead of cheapskate players so wenger can probe his youth project worked,which it has not,it has failed.

and what is the repercussions of it failing,its our players wanting to leave,like cesc,im sure he is sick of carrying a team with denilson,bendter,diaby in it.

funny thing is i dont want wenger out but i think its time his methods were questioned at least,he is way too stubborn to change though.

blackpool did it yesterday:D

http://twitter.com/JamieDalton82

Whoever he is, reckons the Schwarzer deal could be very close. Sad state of affairs that I'm desperate for him to be right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Twitter has exploded.

That's the guy i'm looking at now Pepe, him and goonblog

Apparently a defender is on the way too from the sources of glorious twitter feed...

• Advertisement

RE Pool: Oh yeah, btw wasn't Poulesn absolutely dirt at the World Cup???

SDT

The CB talk is hotting up but don't think it's Saphic.

I have no followers :(

peabutler wrote: »
    RE Pool: Oh yeah, btw wasn't Poulesn absolutely dirt at the World Cup???

SDT

The CB talk is hotting up but don't think it's Saphic.

I have no followers :(

It's not Saphic alright, apparently it's either Subotic or Maik Franz from Eintracht Frankfurt

Love twitter,
    Interesting that there are people at Colney so late tonight ! 4 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

SDTimeout wrote: »
    It's not Saphic alright, apparently it's either Subotic or Maik Franz from Eintracht Frankfurt

Love twitter,

Yea I just setup an account called Gunnertalk, its great for signings and spreading news fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Paleface wrote: »
    Does everyone here understand logic comparators?!

Wenger == liar

FALSE

Maik Franz?

You just made that name up. Admit it!

Maik Franz?

No I heard of two Maik's

Maik Rodenberg who is a 21 CB who looks right down Wenger's alley and Maik Franz who is 29 and in the Saphic build nicknamed Iron-Maik.

Wikipedia, the source of all false knowledge:

Personal information
    Full name - Maik Franz
    Date of birth - 5 August 1981 (age 29)
    Place of birth - Merseburg, Germany
    Height - 2.90 m (9 ft 6 in)
    Playing position - Centre back

Gotta love wikipedia!

Can't argue with a 9 foot defender!

is it a crime to expect arsenal,one of the most richest clubs in the world to compete in the league??

No
    your go follow city or chelsea statement has been done to death by the wenger brigade,its ridiculous really,all the fans are asking for is to show a bit of ambition and sign the players we need,instead of cheapskate players so wenger can probe his youth project worked,which it has not,it has failed.

Failure because we haven't been able to win titles since Chelsea came on the scene and the era of the Man U/Ronaldo team?

Arsenal's points totals since Wenger joined:

75, 72, 83, 68, 67, 83, 90, 78, 87, 70, 73, 78, 78

If you exclude the invincibles and the two years rebuilding after, it's remarkably consistent.

The league is simply far harder to win now. Even leaving aside the new stadium, it's quite a good achievement that Wenger is generally amassing the same points totals in a tougher league.
    and what is the repercussions of it failing,its our players wanting to leave,like cesc,im sure he is sick of carrying a team with denilson,bendter,diaby in it.

I'd say he is. I'm delighted he came to the club but it's been unfortunate that his time at Arsenal hasn't aligned with a Henry or Wright. I often think about what we would have won if C.Ronaldo came to us and they played together.
    funny thing is i dont want wenger out but i think its time his methods were questioned at least,he is way too stubborn to change though.

I think he's true to his principles. Sometimes things could be more effective but that the guy he is.

One thing I took from the interview the other days was when he spoke of bringing in new players and the effect it would have on those already there. It wasn't so much 'bringing in a midfielder would kill Diaby' this time, but more that it would negate 4 or 5 years time and money invested in a player.

He believes his players are good enough to win trophies and that's the only promise he makes. However, if Chelsea score a 100 goals in a season or United hit 85+ points for three seasons in a row, then what can you do? Is that Wenger failing?

• Advertisement

Like it or not though, a football club is a business that has shareholders to keep happy as well as fans (who invest money too, but with a different aim). As a business, Arsenal have been very successful in recent years - football-wise, they're doing far better than most other teams and a lot better than they have at other points in their history.

I'm the first to say we need another player or two but I'm not expecting trophies every year as that's unrealistic. Bit of context.

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Can't argue with a 9 foot defender!
    Literally... he'd just step on you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

2 fit centre backs and a choice between Almunia and Fabianski in goal oh dear :(

If we do sign him and he's as good for us as he always is for me in FM I'll be mighty happy.

How did he score???

gibson wrote: »
    2 fit centre backs and a choice between Almunia and Fabianski in goal oh dear :(

Mark SChwarzer will be announced late this evening or tomorrow.

Mark SChwarzer will be announced late this evening or tomorrow.

Wooo...

• Advertisement

L'prof wrote: »
    Wooo...

Or not....

Mixed messages on Twitter and most places.

Fernando Torres to be announced as an Arsenal player tomorrow afternoon.

Or not.

;)

Or not....

Mixed messages on Twitter and most places.

I'll be happyish if it goes through, I'm just hoping the unexpected happens and we pull someone young and good out of the bag. Either is better than (an unsurprising) failure to land any more signings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Maik Franz?

Hallo....I am Borat.....I like to Maik Franz with you and learn your culture yes??

No

Failure because we haven't been able to win titles since Chelsea came on the scene and the era of the Man U/Ronaldo team?

Arsenal's points totals since Wenger joined:

75, 72, 83, 68, 67, 83, 90, 78, 87, 70, 73, 78, 78

If you exclude the invincibles and the two years rebuilding after, it's remarkably consistent.

The league is simply far harder to win now. Even leaving aside the new stadium, it's quite a good achievement that Wenger is generally amassing the same points totals in a tougher league.

I'd say he is. I'm delighted he came to the club but it's been unfortunate that his time at Arsenal hasn't aligned with a Henry or Wright. I often think about what we would have won if C.Ronaldo came to us and they played together.

I think he's true to his principles. Sometimes things could be more effective but that the guy he is.

One thing I took from the interview the other days was when he spoke of bringing in new players and the effect it would have on those already there. It wasn't so much 'bringing in a midfielder would kill Diaby' this time, but more that it would negate 4 or 5 years time and money invested in a player.

He believes his players are good enough to win trophies and that's the only promise he makes. However, if Chelsea score a 100 goals in a season or United hit 85+ points for three seasons in a row, then what can you do?Is that Wenger failing?
    yes.he is given a contract to manage the team and win trophies.

• Advertisement

Talksport just said the MS deal is done :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

w00t 37yr old goalkeeper heaven here we come! :pac:

Oh, to have Mad Jens back again... :(

I don't suppose he'll be playing then this weekend...

Fecking FPL, wrecking my every waking moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Am i the only one who finds it strange to be getting excited about the possible signing of a 37 year old keeper?:confused:

lord lucan wrote: »
    Am i the only one who finds it strange to be getting excited about the possible signing of a 37 year old keeper?:confused:

nope your not,but thats the ambition of arsenal these days.middle table over the hill keeper,instead of just forking the money out for a top class keeper.

on a side note city nearly sign balotelli thats defo top 4 for them now.

lord lucan wrote: »

I'm not getting excited. I'm a bit relieved, but it's only a stopgap and then the whole cycle starts again when he decides to give Fabianski another ****!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭patrickc

Talksport just said the MS deal is done :)

hopefully will be confirmed soon so, and then buy Given next week:D

Akinfeev in January tyvm

and Ozil while we're at it. For the craic like :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

on a side note city nearly sign balotelli thats defo top 4 for them now.

If Arsenal nearly sign Messi and Ronaldo is that defo top 4 for us?Because we nearly did....in as much as we didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Rumours that Gallas is in talks with Tottenham - seems fairly typical of his character if true.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement