Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Frisbee wrote: »
    My worry essentially. People are bigging Woj up as the second coming of (and in a very particular order) Chico -> Bendtner -> Christ.

He has had one decent season with a bunch of semi-pro's, he needs to go on loan to at least the Championship before we get a decent idea of what he is like.

Ahh now there is a huge gulf between League 1 and the Premier League agreed - but League 1 is fully professional

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Does it make that big a different when you're a goalkeeper? You still have to make saves, catch crosses etc. Don't think it's quite the same as a striker going on loan to Brentford and banging in 30 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Shezzie is the best Keeper we have and after Joe Hart Yesterday I think Wenger will be tempted to start him.

Does it make that big a different when you're a goalkeeper? You still have to make saves, catch crosses etc. Don't think it's quite the same as a striker going on loan to Brentford and banging in 30 goals.

I imagine that Almunia and probably even Flappy would be considered outstanding if they plied their trade in League 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

greendom wrote: »
    Ahh now there is a huge gulf between League 1 and the Premier League agreed - but League 1 is fully professional

I'm fairly sure I read an article last year that a large portion of Brentfords players are only semi-pro?
    peabutler wrote: »
    Shezzie is the best Keeper we have and after Joe Hart Yesterday I think Wenger will be tempted to start him.

Difference between Woj and Hart is that Hart already had a season and a half of PL experiece under his belt. Give him the CC and maybe one or two early FA Cup games and lets see how he hacks it before throwing him into the PL.

• Advertisement

I imagine that Almunia and probably even Flappy would be considered outstanding if they plied their trade in League 1.

I doubt it. They still would have made all those simple mistakes they've made in the past few years if they had been playing in League One. They'd still look shít.

I'm fairly sure I read an article last year that a large portion of Brentfords players are only semi-pro?

No the football league is all fully professional; a fair proportion of the football conference is too, come to that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I doubt it. They still would have made all those simple mistakes they've made in the past few years if they had been playing in League One. They'd still look shít.

There is a big difference between playing a game in League 1 and in the premiership with Arsenal. Im pretty sure Almunia would look outstanding if he played for a year in league 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

No chance Szczesny will start, will be Alumnia unfortunately :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

shano_88 wrote: »
    Im pretty sure Almunia would look outstanding if he played for a year in league 1.

I really, really doubt that to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

L'prof wrote: »
    I really, really doubt that to be honest!

How so? There would be less pressure, which i think is Almunias biggest fault and there would be a much lower standard of finishing.

There is a big difference between playing a game in League 1 and in the premiership with Arsenal. Im pretty sure Almunia would look outstanding if he played for a year in league 1.

And I'm saying I don't think this difference is apparent when you're a goalkeeper.

As a goalkeeper you're not really playing your opponent, certainly not as much as a defender/attacker would be. A top class striker would tear League One to shreds. A top class defender would have any Leage One striker in his pocket.

A goalkeeper just plays the ball, not his opponent. A shot comes at you, you save it. A cross comes in, you catch it.

Almunia and Fabianski's mistakes in the past few years have had nothing to do with the quality of their opponent. It was to do with their concentration and general ability, and nerves if you really want to pretend they're actually any good.

How so? There would be less pressure, which i think is Almunias biggest fault and there would be a much lower standard of finishing.

Decision making, set pieces and crosses are his downfall. I really don't think he'd stand out massively in a lower division. His shot stopping would increase, but I'd say that's about it.

And I'm saying I don't think this difference is apparent when you're a goalkeeper.

As a goalkeeper you're not really playing your opponent, certainly not as much as a defender/attacker would be. A top class striker would tear League One to shreds. A top class defender would have any Leage One striker in his pocket.

A goalkeeper just plays the ball, not his opponent. A shot comes at you, you save it. A cross comes in, you catch it.

Almunia and Fabianski's mistakes in the past few years have had nothing to do with the quality of their opponent. It was to do with their concentration and general ability, and nerves if you really want to pretend they're actually any good.

But the standard of "the ball", wouldn't be as good - the proportion of good crosses would be fewer; shots would be hit with less power and accuracy - all adding up to making a keeper's life in the lower leagues a whole lot easier.

Ha, the strikers in League One aren't retards. Less accurate yes, but I'm pretty sure they can hit the ball with a bit of power behind it. They can still hit decent crosses and there'd probably be more crowding of the keeper at corners and old fashioned hoofball if the clichés are to be believed.

Yes a keeper's life would be easier in League One, but nowhere near to the extent that any other position's life would be easier in League One.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Anyone know if Song will start today?

Mezcita wrote: »
    Anyone know if Song will start today?

Doubtful.

Ha, the strikers in League One aren't retards. Less accurate yes, but I'm pretty sure they can hit the ball with a bit of power behind it. They can still hit decent crosses and there'd probably be more crowding of the keeper at corners and old fashioned hoofball if the clichés are to be believed.

Yes a keeper's life would be easier in League One, but nowhere near to the extent that any other position's life would be easier in League One.

But enough to make any Premiership keeper outstanding at that level

Almost any Premiership keeper. That does not include Almunia or Fabianski.

Except Almunia and Fabianski.

• Advertisement

If there really was so little difference don't you think that lots of keepers would get transferred from the lower leagues to the Premier League. It doesn't happen. The last one I can think of was Maik Taylor.

Doubtful.

It's looking more and morel ike lambs to the slaughter. Our forwards better be on form today because we will be conceding.

If there really was so little difference don't you think that lots of keepers would get transferred from the lower leagues to the Premier League. It doesn't happen. The last one I can think of was Maik Taylor.

I think it's a simple case of us not feeling any man love for those two clowns.

Yes I don't disagree with you there. I don't think League One is full of great goalkeepers that could cut it in the Premiership. I'm just saying if you take a couple of poor Premier League goalkeepers who are prone to making errors and put them in League One, they won't suddenly look amazing and those errors they make won't suddenly dry up.

Anyways enough of that shíte. Time to beat the pool.

I think it's a simple case of us not feeling any man love for those two clowns.

Yes I think that's closer to the truth. Almunia cost us far too many points last year. The transfer speculation can't have helped him either. Hopefully he can use that adversity and put in a fantastic performance today. Can't say I'm over-hopeful though.

Yes I don't disagree with you there. I don't think League One is full of great goalkeepers that could cut it in the Premiership. I'm just saying if you take a couple of poor Premier League goalkeepers who are prone to making errors and put them in League One, they won't suddenly look amazing and those errors they make won't suddenly dry up.

Anyways enough of that shíte. Time to beat the pool.

Amen to that !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

x PyRo wrote: »
    League 1, Brentford, enough said.

Sure didn't you lot raid League 2 for a centre back last season? :)

With all the furore over Joe Hart in the last few days, it's easy to forget his humble beginnings - he was signed by City from Shrewsbury Town.

Sure didn't you lot raid League 2 for a centre back last season? :)

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

ok can some of the do gooders here tell me why cesc didnt travel with the squad but kuyt is starting and kompany who played the world cup played 90 mins yesterday?sick of wrapping our powder puff players up in cotton wool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

ok can some of the do gooders here tell me why cesc didnt travel with the squad but kuyt is starting and kompany who played the world cup played 90 mins yesterday?sick of wrapping our powder puff players up in cotton wool.

Belgium were not in the World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

Belgium were not in the World Cup.
    I actually made a hames of this one.im not even gonna try defend it!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Agreed. De Jong and Silva played yesterday among others with similar circumstances. Fabregas barely played in the WC ffs.

It's ****ing disgraceful, if we lose this game serious questions have to be asked about ridiculous decisions such as this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

DB10 wrote: »
    Agreed. De Jong and Silva played yesterday among others with similar circumstances. Fabregas barely played in the WC ffs.

It's ****ing disgraceful, if we lose this game serious questions have to be asked about ridiculous decisions such as this one.

What do we say if we win?

What do we say if we win?

We find something else to moan about I'd imagine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

We find something else to moan about I'd imagine...

Something like...."typical Arsenal....go to merseyside......win 6-1...get all our fackin' opes up....only to have em shot down by next April......"......"thing with Arsenal is.....we're always trying to walk it it..".....blah blah.......

• Advertisement

Something like...."typical Arsenal....go to merseyside......win 6-1...get all our fackin' opes up....only to have em shot down by next April......"......"thing with Arsenal is.....we're always trying to walk it it..".....blah blah.......

"Too tippy tappy, don't like it up 'em, no British steel in that side."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Kosc off injured, We need to sign a CB now surely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Almunia should be taken out back and shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

So that's either 1 point or 3 points Al will have cost us today as looks likely.

Hmmm; Arsene needs to accept the reality of this before he costs us more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Obviously it could be seen as disingenuous to judge too much from a single match, but it really does seem like nothing's changed from last year.
    Injuries are irrelevant, the game was there to be won today. Liverpool had nothing for us in the first half and the sending off at the end should've sealed it for us. Instead Almunia does his usual right at the start of the second half, sending Liverpool into a frenzy for 10 minutes and Arsenal unable to do anything about it. When the game finally settles down we're toothless in attack. Who's brought on? Rosicky who has done nothing of note in over a year and Walcott who falls over the ball in the penalty area just when it looked like he might get a chance.
    Even the equaliser was a gift and I've no idea how it wasn't a free out for the "challenge" on Reina.

Almunia needs to go. It won't solve the team's inability to handle big changes in the match, but today he was the cause of the change.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

I hope Arshavin is dropped/sold. He doesn't deserve to wear the shirt. Lazy as sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I hope Arshavin is dropped/sold. He doesn't deserve to wear the shirt. Lazy as sin.

I have never taken to him

Bit of a worrying performance. We all know a goalkeeper is needed and that there is no cover at centre back. Those problems can be easily solved. What is much more difficult to solve is how utterly toothless arsenal looked out there today against 10 men. No penetration and some players (I'm looking at you arshavin) were passengers.

Very poor all around. Embarrassing goalkeeping.

Astounding we have clowns like that at the club.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Very poor all around. Embarrassing goalkeeping.

Astounding we have clowns like that at the club.

broken_record.jpg

Bit of a worrying performance. We all know a goalkeeper is needed and that there is no cover at centre back. Those problems can be easily solved. What is much more difficult to solve is how utterly toothless arsenal looked out there today against 10 men. No penetration and some players (I'm looking at you arshavin) were passengers.

I'm not so sure...

Well they can be easily solved, it doesn't mean they will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

Happy with the point tbh. We desperately need a cb and a keeper obviously. So much of the usual flapping about from him and every time a set piece came I was cacking myself. Worrying performance but it was the first game of the season with plenty of key players out or not starting so let's not get too worried.

Also Arshavin is a lazy sh!t.

broken_record.jpg

What we can't debate the poor goalkeeping on show? It's shambolic.

Just because you think Almunia "is a nice person"...:rolleyes:

What we can't debate the poor goalkeeping on show? It's shambolic.

Just because you think Almunia "is a nice person"...:rolleyes:

I think he's referring to your constant pessimism. I'm pretty sure, if I bothered trying, I'd fail to find a positive quote in this thread from you.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement