Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

DB10 wrote: »
    What we can't debate the poor goalkeeping on show? It's shambolic.

Just because you think Almunia "is a nice person"...:rolleyes:

You don't debate it, you bang on and on about the same thing over and over again without changing your tune. It's boring now.

Roll your eyes all you want. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

On the bus back to London, I have always been an avid defender of Almunia, but my god I have never seen him so nervous, completely lost control of his defenders, there was NO communication between him and the defenders for the first 50 minutes. When the goal went in he started to call but the defenders didn't listen, they have no confidence in him by the look of things, this led to way too many mix-ups between defenders. He looks like a keeper with 0 confidence, need a new keeper, badly, even though I have always supported him.

Atmosphere was great though, love going to Anfield, one of the last proper footballing grounds in the Premier League.

Edit: Was a great result though, I would of taken a draw going into the match. Looking forward to this season. Liverpool also play atrocious football, very boring to look at but it works I suppose, he set out to defend with maybe 6 players ALL the time, then just play hoof ball.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Lets hope Arsené makes a move for Given before the window closes. I've no fingernails left after watching that Clown again today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Bit of a worrying performance. We all know a goalkeeper is needed and that there is no cover at centre back. Those problems can be easily solved. What is much more difficult to solve is how utterly toothless arsenal looked out there today against 10 men. No penetration and some players (I'm looking at you arshavin) were passengers.

I think we missed Fab...no one was in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Just listening to press conference at the moment, get the impression from Arsene that we will sign a keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Can't understand why he did not play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Yeah he was definitely missed but arse should probably start preparing for when he leaves. It's bad enough heavily relying on one player but its obviously worse when that player wants to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

OPENROAD wrote: »

Commentary on Fox said chest infection but that's probably just sh*te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Im not too disappointed with a draw at Anfield. Not an easy place to and claim 3 points and tbh im glad a tough away fixture is out of the way early. The goalkeeping situation is a worry. I have a feeling Almunia wont be going anywhere and we are stuck with him for the season.......god help us is all I can say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

OPENROAD wrote: »

My mate tells me that he wasn't playing because of food poisoning, but he isn't 100% sure.

Edit: Plenty of speculation around, think its just safe to assume he wasn't well.

Not to dwell on the negative points, I am very happy with a point today, but the way Arsenal just invited pressure onto themselves once they'd scored really pissed me off. It's something they've done for the last few years and they've paid for it on many occassions. Chasing the game, get an equaliser and then just sit back and let the opposition attack at will. Anfield in the Champions League a few years ago springs to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

FFS we looked the exact same as last year, we should have won this match, we are 1 man up and what do we do concede within 5 minutes. We need to take our chances. Diaby was very poor, Wilshere didn't know what to do with the ball, Arshavin was well... awful! He just kept losing the ball and never tried to win it back. Chamakh had a decent performance. We were very shaky in defence, I could hardly watch the corners. I was hoping this year the players would try and step up as alot of them have something to prove but they were the exact same. We were very fortunate to come away with a point .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Andrei Arshavin was so poor and I though Jack Wilshere looked a bit green at times, Rosicky and Walcott looked fresh and good and both should start vs Blackpool were we can get going with 3 points and a good display.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Ye need to play more direct. Why play Chamackh if ye dont play the ball up to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Worrying performance we didnt create many clear cut chances against 10 men...9 men for a little bit when Agger was off, we look like we've no creativity and ideas going forward. As others have said looks like last year all over again. Everything's already been said on Almunia and if Wenger doesnt sort it out he needs his head examined. How much faith can you put in this guy? How many times does have to mess up?

I was happy with the draw, I would've taken that before kick off due to the starting line up we had. Diaby was useless yet again dwelling on the ball far too much. Wilshere at times looked comfortable on the ball but also lost possession a bit too much and looked a little lost at times. Koscielny I thought did fine for his debut. Arshavin has got to be the laziest player ever so frustrating watching him play today.

I think the most worrying thing is that everyone knew we would probably have problems at the back if Almunia/Fabianski played. I dont think people expected our attack to be that weak though even with the injuries we had. Our players seem very one dimensional at times.

I thought Nasri did well looked to put a bit of spark into our play and Rosicky created a beautiful chance for himself when he came on. Walcott I dont think was as bad as some people are making out, he actually put a few decent crosses in for a change.

• Advertisement

Anyone at the mercantile today? Amazing atmosphere. When Reina scored for us :D I thought the roof was going to come off!

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Anyone at the mercantile today? Amazing atmosphere. When Reina scored for us :D I thought the roof was going to come off!

Opposite for me, I was in a pub full of Liverpool fans, was the only one celebrating while the rest roared abuse :D !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

In fairness, put Fabregas and Song into that midfield and ye look a far better prospect. But early to be panicking yet lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

flahavaj wrote: »
    In fairness, put Fabregas and Song into that midfield and ye look a far better prospect. But early to be panicking yet lads.

Ah we know, but when we know we're not strong enough it won't take much to set us off!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

x PyRo wrote: »
    You don't debate it, you bang on and on about the same thing over and over again without changing your tune. It's boring now.

Roll your eyes all you want. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What is there to debate? Anyone criticises Almunia and it hits a nerve with you.

Open your eyes he is absolute rubbish.

• Advertisement

L'prof wrote: »
    Ah we know, but when we know we're not strong enough it won't take much to set us off!

Not to forget that both players missed alot of matches last season injured too and seem quite injury prone, especially Song.

I'm not quite sure Wilshere is ready for the step up in level, he looked very poor today, wasn't sure what to do in possession, made some very stupid tackles and was at fault for the goal with a sloppy give away at the edge of the box. I think he could do with another half season on loan once Ramsey comes back

Koscienly was impressive today. He did well working with Vermalen and was unlucky to red-carded. Hopefully he will bulk up a bit because it will much sterner test when he comes against a more physical striker such as Drogba.

What is there to debate? Anyone criticises Almunia and it hits a nerve with you.

Open your eyes he is absolute rubbish.

TBH you are shockingly pessimistic, Big Al is rubbish but your always the first to batter him no matter what.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

There's enough for us to be positive. An away trip to Liverpool under Hodgson's first game was always going to be tough, especially when shorn of key personnel. We usually start slowly after a major summer tournament and I really thought we'd get beaten.

Koscielny looked good I thought although our defensive issues have generally always been more a collective thing than due to any individual. Our wing-forwards were particularly poor but hopefully they can play themselves into some kind of form; Cesc and Robin coming back into the team should help that a lot.

peabutler wrote: »
    TBH you are shockingly pessimistic, Big Al is rubbish but your always the first to batter him no matter what.

You would think I'm the only one. I think, they are just several on here who positive no matter what. Well that is fair enough but you have to see the other side of the coin.

Believe me mate, I was one of the most positive people around only a few seasons ago. Alot can change though and certainly I've met/seen dozens more negative than me.

I think at least from AW comments on arsenal.com, he will certainly bring in a CB and is trying very hard for a keeper.

I really think though that one of Fabianksi/Almunia, (if not both) need to be moved on to give space for the new man. I don't see a line of clubs for either though so very worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭gingelion

Is The Mercantile the new place to be then? I was in Kate's earlier, weird without a crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

We definitely need a plan b too; Liverpool won't be the last team that put 6/7 across the 18 yard line and leave us to pick the lock - which we're **** at when teams are well organised. You just get the same ****e of playing if from one side to the other and back again with no penetration. It's solved by either having wingers taking on the full backs to the byline and pulling it back for attackers coming in or else playing two up top and going through them.

Totally agree with the point re the equaliser; what would Chelsea or United have done in the same situation? They'd have likely put Liverpool away or at least come close to doing so.

We need balls, a plan b and a new goalkeeper.

gingelion wrote: »
    Is The Mercantile the new place to be then? I was in Kate's earlier, weird without a crowd.

Yeah. Good fun and nice boozer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

Right was a very disappointing match today. I was happy with the point and would of taken it before the match even started mind you.

With that said while we had a lot of possesion in the first half and spent practically the whole second half playing with a one man advantage and at one point a two man we seemed to lack the forsight of how to go on and actually make the numerical advantage win the game for us which was extremely frustrating!

Individual wise, Alumnia had another poor game I cringed everytime a ball came in and he flapped at it and barely got it away he also really should have saved the Ngog goal from the angle that it was hit. Wilshire played alright but when he had the ball he couldn't pick out many forward passes and like many have already commented it was his dwelling on the ball near our own area that lead up to the Liverpool goal. Arshavin was like an empty shirt today he really was very poor when ever he got the ball he just seemed to give it away. Diaby also had a terrible game he constantly lost the ball.

Of the possitives there were very few except for the fact that we managed to pick up a point! Nasri looked lively when he had the ball but he also looked very isolated when in possesion. Walcott and Rosicky looked decent when they came on particually Rosicky as Walcott's inability to swing in a cross or pick out a pass when on the run was clearly evident again but he did draw the defenders into him at least.

We need a big improvement from today, need Fabergas back to bring a creative spark to the mid-field, we need a new CB as I nearly **** a brick earlier when Koscielny went off on the stretcher and we also clearly need a new goalkeeper as Almunia was pants again today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

People need to relax. I'm dissapointed with Arshavin because he's better than that but Wilshire, Diaby, Eboue? That's a very second string midfield away to Liverpool.

Put Song, Denilson and Fabregas in that team and it's totally different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Another very shaky performance from Manuel today at anfield!!!

We should sign Shay Given next week as he wont stay with city after being dropped to the new england no 1!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I was there too,great bit of craic!:)

Strange game,looked like we picked up where we left off last season. The back 4 looked as nervy as ever with Almunia between the sticks. Every set piece had my heart in my mouth,no one in command of the area. Chamakh done ok on his debut,especially with feck all service. What's happened to Arshavin though? He looks even more disinterested than he did at the end of last season!

And where has our pace gone? One of the hallmarks of Wengers reign was the ability of Arsenal sides to turn defence into attack at lightning fast speed. Now we have young,athletic players perfectly suited to that style of play but yet we're slow and pedestrian in our play. It was dreadful watching the slow and ponderous build up today.

We still need a GK &CB imo,all the more glaringly obvious after todays game. I'd have bitten your hand off for a draw before kick off so i'm happy with a point but i see no signs of improvement in the side,looks the same as the 09/10 model which is worrying. Sure we have Fabregas to come in and a fully fit RVP & Song but even they won't transform the side to the level we'd hoped to see.

Anyways,i still remain optimistic(as ever!!) and hopefully AW will address the GK & CB positions before the end of the month and we'll kick on with some purpose this season.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Very quickly:

(1) I wouldn't blame Almunia for the goal. He failed to deal with a couple of crosses though.
    (2) As some have commented, Wilshere's decision-making is a bit risky sometimes. This is something I noticed watching him play for Bolton last year too - for all his ability, his confidence means he tries to play out from deep CM positions (though he's far from being our only player to do this).
    (3) Let's not forget that we were missing arguably our three best players from last year (Cesc, Song and RVP). Our reliance on Cesc is a different issue but it's a fact and we've seen time and again in recent years how big a difference he makes.
    (4) Rosicky did very well when he came on, really took charge and showed good fight as always. He could offer something this year and it'd be great to see as he's a terrific player on form.
    (5) We got a point at Anfield. Never a bad result and certainly not today. Now sign another CB, maybe a keeper, and see where the season takes us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    (5) We got a point at Anfield. Never a bad result and certainly not today. Now sign another CB, maybe a keeper, and see where the season takes us.

Happy with that too. Don't think we'll get the players that we need, but lets see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

gosplan wrote: »
    People need to relax. I'm dissapointed with Arshavin because he's better than that but Wilshire, Diaby, Eboue? That's a very second string midfield away to Liverpool.

Put Song, Denilson and Fabregas in that team and it's totally different.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

cson wrote: »
    :eek:

Ha, I knew someone would pick up on that. :D

A: He keeps Diaby out ;)

B: Nasri plays further forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I think at least from AW comments on arsenal.com, he will certainly bring in a CB and is trying very hard for a keeper.

Where did you read that? I see no mention of bringing in a keeper in his comments after the game.

One of the positives from today was how well Rosiscky played when he came on, he really changed the game and was very close to scoring the equaliser and it was his cross that caused Reina the trouble. I don't really think people are disappinted by the result but more by how it didn't look like we had made any improvements.

I guess the main problem now is to decide what formation to use. It is clear that the position Nasri excels in is in the centre, where Cesc plays. So the question is do we try and push Fabregas back into a deeper playmaking role or do we play Nasri yet again on his least preferred position out on the left.

I think Koscienly had a good game but I was so nervous when he was strechered off at half time. With Song and Djourou injured there was no one who could come in. I don't think I would be too worried about Nordveit playing next week against Balckpool at home if he had to. This is probably the best match to give him experience.

Think Rosicky can be big for us this season. Here's hoping he can stay somewhat fit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Our lack of width yesterday was shocking. I noticed it durign the game and it was picked up by Dixon on MOTD. Countless time we had space out wide and chose to ignore it. We have some fine, pacey wingers and we should be using them to spread out the opposition. We are just too easy to play against.

A few small changes to our approach would make a big difference especially considering a lot of teams think they have us figured out. Get the ball wide, get some crosses in and get the opposition 2nd guessing themselves again.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    We have some fine, pacey wingers and we should be using them to spread out the opposition.

Who are you talking about here? Walcott is the only player that resembles a fine pacey winger but he rarely gets the business done out wide. The squad has been crying out for a bit of width for the past few seasons.

Hleb, Nasri, Arshavin, Eboue, even Walcott aren't wingers. Definitely something the squad has been lacking.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I suppose I was thinking of GC, TW, Eboue, AA etc. Maybe not the fastest but should be able to do a lot more than they have.

I think Vela and Clichy work well to give us some width on the left

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Our lack of width yesterday was shocking. I noticed it durign the game and it was picked up by Dixon on MOTD. Countless time we had space out wide and chose to ignore it. We have some fine, pacey wingers and we should be using them to spread out the opposition. We are just too easy to play against.

A few small changes to our approach would make a big difference especially considering a lot of teams think they have us figured out. Get the ball wide, get some crosses in and get the opposition 2nd guessing themselves again.

the problem with a lot of players out wide though seems to be that they are pretty poor at crossing or else very inconsistent at doing it. We never seem to be able to deliver quality balls into the box on an on going basis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

According to NewsTalk, AW isn't considering a move for Given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Gibbs should be given a chance in a more advanced role. He always looks good going forward and puts in decent crosses.

greendom wrote: »
    Gibbs should be given a chance in a more advanced role. He always looks good going forward and puts in decent crosses.

true and couldnt do any worse than Arshavin did :rolleyes: such a talent but such a lazy player :mad:

greendom wrote: »
    Traore either would be no worse than a lazy Arshavin or off form Walcott.

Gibbs could sneak that LB spot soon, Clichy to me is just so poor going forward and defensively getting caught out constantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I think Wenger should drop Arshavin for a few games and see if that makes a difference. At the moment Arshavins place is guranteed on the team as long as he isn't injured. Maybe having to compete for his place will give him the wake up call he needs.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement