Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Roaster wrote: »
    Eh, I was actually being positive and that's why I was asking why the "SHOULD" ? If we don't knock at least 3 by these I won't be happy. Needless to say they'll score from a corner or set piece....

Apologies if I misinterpreted.

Still, Wigan should have beaten Blackpool and Man U should have beaten Burnley in the opening of last season.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

gunnerblog
    French tv (Canal +) reporting that Arsenal are close to signing Sebastien Squillaci.
    6 minutes ago via Echofon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

ok the injuries begin and Nasri out for a month:mad:

Anywho if any of you want to meet with the Arsenal Reserve team and possible Liam Brady on Friday 20th Aug jump over to post below.

Liam and the Lads

May cheer some of us up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

gunnerblog
    French tv (Canal +) reporting that Arsenal are close to signing Sebastien Squillaci.
    6 minutes ago via Echofon

hhhm interesting a player we havent been linked to in the past, i like new links :D

is he any good? did he play for Roma at one stage or is he playing for Roma?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

gibson wrote: »
    hhhm interesting a player we havent been linked to in the past, i like new links :D

is he any good? did he play for Roma at one stage or is he playing for Roma?

Nope, he's with Sevilla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/4131/

Extratime.ie reporter Jody Moylan chats to Liam Brady in Carton House. Brady is head of Youth Development at Arsenal. Filmed by Peter O'Doherty.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Nope, he's with Sevilla.

ah ye it was actually Lyon he use to play with not Roma :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

FearDark wrote: »
    Anyone else depressed? I mean the best we can hope for before the transfer window closes is Mark Schwarzer, he's not even that good, he wont change our season for us... Same old shíte, different season. Why wont Wenger buy a CB and a decent keeper, the money IS there, what is Wenger trying to proove??!!

Thank fúck its just Blackpool on Saturday, even with a second string team and that ape in goals we should be ok, more than likely still concede though. Depressing. I remember teams the caliber of Blackpool coming to Highbury being annihalated within minutes within minutes, seems ages ago :(

Down negative man! down!

This Squillaci fella was left out of Sevilla's squad for their CL game tonight...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

This Squillaci fella was left out of Sevilla's squad for their CL game tonight...

...must be off to City so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Please please be true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Please please be true!

It's getting bad when we're getting excited by possible signings like this!:pac:

Tbh i don't know much about the guy so i'm wait and see if this isn't another story heading nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

lord lucan wrote: »
    It's getting bad when we're getting excited by possible signings like this!:pac:

Tbh i don't know much about the guy so i'm wait and see if this isn't another story heading nowhere.

Is he a centre back? Yes.

He's ticked all the boxes for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

is he any good?
    France's 3rd/4th choice CB for the last few years (played most of the second leg of the play-off if you remember? Came on after the Escude fella went off injured early).

He'd fit the mould of what I'd look for fairly well anyway - experienced, not necessarily a nailed-on first choice player (so Koscielny/Djourou get the games they each need) and has been playing at a good level recently.

We'll see what happens.

I know but at this moment I would take any CB who has some European experience.

• Advertisement

I know but at this moment I would take any CB who has some European experience.

Me too.:o

On a non-transfer related note,there's some great news(imo!) and that's that the crap elvis song is getting the boot before kick off at home games and Fat Boy Slims 'Right Here Right Now' is making a return!:)

On a non-transfer related note,there's some great news(imo!) and that's that the crap elvis song is getting the boot before kick off at home games and Fat Boy Slims 'Right Here Right Now' is making a return!:)

Which was last used in the unbeaten season!!! :eek:

Nah, I just made that up!

L'prof wrote: »
    Which was last used in the unbeaten season!!! :eek:

Nah, I just made that up!

It was used at Highbury for a good while. I've many happy memories of watching the boys run out to that tune(i'm not a FBS fan btw.)at Highbury,just seemed to fit perfectly. It was last used up to and including the final game at Highbury in 2006.;)

10 times better than that Elvis tune. Edelmans idea of 'making' an Arsenal anthem!:rolleyes:

Given and Squillaci and Id be happy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

That would be unreal

A lot of talk on Arsenal forums that this is actually a solid link. There was a French journalist on Talksport and he said he thinks its a definite transfer

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/2010-08-18/exclusive-arsenal-set-sign-french-defens
    He's had a couple of injury problems but on the other hand he was also a regular in that team.

But of course. :rolleyes:

Corcs001 wrote: »

sure they have to have some injures to sign for Arsenal :p;)

That guy also thinks if he signs he'll partner Vermaelen and Koscielny will be third choice

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/2010-08-18/exclusive-arsenal-set-sign-french-defens

Suppose with his experience and the lack of experience in Kos it might make sense

A lot of talk on Arsenal forums that this is actually a solid link. There was a French journalist on Talksport and he said he thinks its a definite transfer
    Indeed. I can't say I've ever paid too much attention to Squillaci when he's played but one of Arsenal Mania's Spanish residents rates him as a solid CB who is good in the air. I'd take that.

... though I'd take pretty much anyone at the moment :/

Fingers crossed we've two new additions before Blackpool.

sure they have to have some injures to sign for Arsenal :p;)

That guy also thinks if he signs he'll partner Vermaelen and Koscielny will be third choice

Suppose with his experience and the lack of experience in Kos it might make sense
    I'd be surprised if that was the case; why did Wenger bring Koscielny in so early and for such a large fee (by Wenger's standards) and then spend ages searching for the other CB, jumping from target to target?

Also, I have to say I really liked what I saw of Koscielny against Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Anymore talk of a new keeper?Given to fulham and schwarzer to arsenal?

I quite like Koscielny he had a very good game and imo was unfairly sent off.

It would be great if we did sign Squillaci and Schwarzer this week, it would give a bit of experience and organisation to our backline and I would be a lot more confident going into the season.

I know Auclair is well respected (appears on the Arsecast regularly, etc.) but I'd be shocked if anyone we signed now came in as first-choice ahead of Koscielny. Rotation maybe but automatic first choice? No.

Young Guns reporting that Nordveit could go out on loan if this signing goes through. I'll take it with a handful of salt given the source but I wouldn't want to see us sign another CB only to instantly lose one :(

• Advertisement

Also, I really think people need to let go of the Given talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

I quite like Koscielny he had a very good game and imo was unfairly sent off.

Totally, really liked what I saw. Still a bit lightweight, but I thought he competed well in the air, and his reading of the game was good.

Pity about the sending off, as the Blackpool game would of been very useful for him to get more gametime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Yeah 5 centre backs are needed really. Nordtveit should stay and would probably get a reasonable amount of game time given Arsenal's injury history.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SpodoKamodo

Not complaining and I hope it happens, but I can't believe that wenger is going to spend 8 million euros on a 30 year old defender who only has one year left on his contract. How much did arsenal offer for Chamachk last summer?

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2010/08/18/2077152/arsenal-to-sign-sebastien-squillaci-from-sevilla-report

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

If he'll put his head places you wouldn't put a crowbar and have no problem elbowing Kevin Davies in the face I'll welcome it with open arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SpodoKamodo

Frisbee wrote: »
    If he'll put his head places you wouldn't put a crowbar and have no problem elbowing Kevin Davies in the face I'll welcome it with open arms.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see wenger offer 10 million for him just to make sure:D I'm just wary of reports that say he's going to spend this amount of money on a 30 yo with so little time left on his contract. It just doesn't sound like wenger ie

he's 30
    he's a defender
    he's 8 million

only thing that makes it sound like a typical Wenger purchase is that he's French!

Probably a load of crap:
    Fulham have asked for Arsenal striker Carlos Vela plus cash from the Gunners in exchange for Mark Schwarzer.

The two London clubs have reached deadlock in their negotiations because Arsenal are unwilling to match Fulham’s £4 million valuation of the 37-year-old goalkeeper.

Arsenal had a £2m bid rejected for Schwarzer in May and have not made a further offer, although it is understood that the two clubs are still in talks.

“They have different valuations of Schwarzer,” a source close to the transfer told Goal.com UK.

“Arsenal don’t want to pay the £4m that Fulham want but one possibility is a player exchange deal to push it through."

It is understood that several Arsenal fringe players have been mentioned and Fulham, who are keen to bolster their forward ranks despite the signing of forward Moussa Dembele from AZ Alkmaar on Wednesday, have enquired about Vela among others.

Arsenal are likely to value the Mexican international far beyond a £2m makeweight, even though the 21-year-old is running out of time to make his mark at the club.

A deal has also been held up because the west Londoners have been unable to secure a proven goalkeeper to replace Schwarzer. An offer was made to David James but the former England No.1 made the surprise decision to drop a division and move to Championship club Bristol City.

Vela has made more appearances for his country than he has for Arsenal in the Premier League (25, including only three starts) and has scored just eight goals for the club since his 2006 switch from his homeland, although he did spend two seasons on loan in Spain.

Despite the sticking points in Arsenal’s pursuit of Schwarzer, who handed in a transfer request last week and was not picked for Fulham’s opening Premier League fixture against Bolton Wanderers, both sides expect the deal to eventually be completed before the end of the transfer window.

Fulham manager Mark Hughes is continuing to look at forward options after his pursuit of Craig Bellamy, first revealed by Goal.com UK, failed.

Hughes has been widely linked with a move for another forward he managed at Manchester City and Blackburn Rovers, Roque Santa Cruz, but sources say he is not expected to pursue the Paraguayan because of concerns over his injury record.

I don't like this deal as I think Vela has a lot of potential. Its hard to see Wenger going for it.

I know Vela was bad last season but I'd hate to see a deal like that go through. Infact I'd hate to think we're haggling over 4M, it's not as if we don't have that much...

Probably a load of crap:

I don't like this deal as I think Vela has a lot of potential. Its hard to see Wenger going for it.

Vela + cash = Schwarzer?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...sorry...bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...and so on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

4M for a 37 year old. You gotta be kidding me. He's a cometent keeper but he's not worth that. We might get one good season out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

+1 to that. £4m for a 37yr old is crazy. Fulham should be biting our hand off for £2.5m; offer that and tell them where to go if they don't like it. But get the feelers out for another keeper in the meantime! :P

I think we can assume Djourou is fit as Nordtveit is travelling to Ireland to play in the reserves tournament.

Quazzie wrote: »
    4M for a 37 year old. You gotta be kidding me. He's a cometent keeper but he's not worth that. We might get one good season out of him.

4M for one season where we have a keeper who is a decent shot stopper but a hell of a better organiser of a defence than anyone at the club already. which in turn will probably be worth a few more points.

I'd have that.

I still think it's an underwhelming signing but I'd take anything at this stage over Almunlol and Failianski.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

I have a feeling that Arsenal are going to let this drag out until Fulham cave.

If Schwarzer really wants out, which we have all been led to believe, then they will probably let him go in the end for less than £4 mil. Thats just crazy money for someone his age in fairness.

I hope a bid for Shay Given is being put in in the meantime. It couldn't hurt!

Interesting article on Almunia from another Arsenal blog:
    here is no shortage of speculation at the moment about the goalkeeping situation at the club. Obviously this is not particularly reassuring for the current first choice goalkeeper and he quite rightly is not enjoying the speculation. No doubt Manuel is partly to blame for this situation, his form has been somewhat erratic over the last year. However personally I feel the club's management are also to blame, they have never seemingly supported him and he has been undermined at times, sometimes unfairly I would argue.

Off the field events clearly affected Manuel last season, we were told that a chest infection and a bereavement in the family were behind his prolonged absence. Whatever the reasons, he clearly wasn't particularly fortunate with a series of events. He didn't have a brilliant season last year, but he was by far our best goalkeeper and he was pretty decent. Despite the odd error he did have some truly top notch games, Barcelona at home being one great example. In earlier seasons when he was very consistent, in my opinion he never really got the credit he deserved.

Confidence is vital as a goalkeeper and it is vital that a goalkeeper is backed, even when things are going badly. We saw this weekend how a very good goalkeeper (Reina) can make a shocking error but he will be supported by his manager and team mates alike, this is vital. Being backed by one's manager and knowing you are no 1 is also key in remaining confident.

I don't think Manuel has been helped by the manager at times. For example this pre season it was obvious that Fabianski was being given a chance to replace him as no 1 despite a series of appalling performances. It cannot be good for a goalkeepers confidence to see this happen, it shows a distinct lack of faith from the management which is bound to have a knock on effect on the keeper's performances. This also happened at times last season and this resulted in stupid dropped points when Manuel's deputy was clearly not up to the task.

Maybe Manuel has never been good enough to be a first choice Arsenal keeper. However once he was made no 1 he should be been backed 100% by the management and fans, personally I feel that a lot of people have always seen what they have wanted to see with Manuel. For example last weekend people were trying to blame Manuel for the Ngog goal, I hardly think it is fair to claim that not making one the saves of the season is a goalkeeping error! Actually over the last few seasons he has made very few bad errors, even when his form has been at its worst.

Several other big keepers at the big clubs like Cech, Reina and Van der Saar have been some real howlers, but when this happens they are not undermined, they are supported and this helps the goalkeepers. The fact that Manuel has always had people on his back is part of a vicious cycle of confidence and support which does not help Arsenal Football Club. It is also worth noting that he gets the least help from his defenders of any keeper at a top club, yet for some reason some people like to unfairly dump all our aerial failings at Manuel's door. It is easy to blame Manuel and call him 'nervy', but it is rather obvious that a lack of support from the management is at least as much to blame for this as anything else.

The current speculation cannot be helping Manuel's confidence and this cannot be good for the club. I think the move for Schwarzer is a very strange one, here we have a guy approaching 40 who is arguably no better than Manuel, I agree with Stewart Robson on this one, moving for Schwarzer doesn't make any sense to me. Remember his miskick last season at the Emirates and his calamitous world cup? Robson also makes the point that Shay Given cannot dominate in the air, something that many people like to ignore, for some of us the grass is always greener on the other side, but when we get to the other side they want to move on again.

Overall I think goalkeeping is a very special role in a football team, you have to be a bit binary with the way you manage your goalkeepers because confidence is so key in their performances. Personally I don't think Manuel has ever been given the support he should have been and this has made things harder for him. Maybe things are almost untenable for him now, but if we sign no goalkeeper then we should all get behind him as he is bound to play better with the crowd's full support. I am getting fed up with a lot of the unfair criticism that he has been subjected to of late, it is time to get behind him now.

I think the writer is right, if the deal with Schwarzer doesn't go through then we have to get behind Almunia, what benefit is it to us that we keep undermining our goalkeepers confidence. The only thing constantly criticising him does is make him more nervous and more error-prone. If it turns out he's the best we've got then we should cheer him on.

• Advertisement

I'd agree with the bit about Given in that article. He's not great at organising his defence and he's very shaky in the air. Two things which we need the exact opposite of.

We need someone who has no problem coming for high balls and elbowing Chris Samba in the back of the head or stamping on Drogbas foot on the way. Something which neither Given/Schwarzer offer. Essentially we need Lehmann MkII.

Vela is worth the guts of £10m so Fulham can fúck off if that's the case.

Hope we get Schwarzer but why the club seems so set on him and him alone is beyond me.

Interesting article on Almunia from another Arsenal blog:

I think the writer is right, if the deal with Schwarzer doesn't go through then we have to get behind Almunia, what benefit is it to us that we keep undermining our goalkeepers confidence. The only thing constantly criticising him does is make him more nervous and more error-prone. If it turns out he's the best we've got then we should cheer him on.

To be perfectly honest and blunt, I really don't care what the cause of his dip in form has been. He's a liability and I just want to get rid of him. He may have looked decent for a short period of time in the part, but does that really excuse his present performances? Absolutely not!

Vela is worth the guts of £10m so Fulham can fúck off if that's the case.

Hope we get Schwarzer but why the club seems so set on him and him alone is beyond me.

To be fair, we don't really know that to be the case. It probably is and it's probably because we can get him on the cheap, but we don't really know who else they may be looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Looks like we're in for squillaci of seville

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6322940,00.html

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement