Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

I find most of the above article a load of rubbish tbh. The reason Reina/VdS etc are backed is because they dont make many unforced errors. You earn your respect, and Manuel has let us down more often than saved our bacon.

If we dont get a new keeper, then I guess we have to get behind Manuel.

However, the idea of Cesc doing an interview like Jamie Carragher's last week, in which Cesc says he knows Manuel is worldclass, is laughable. Jamie said what he did because he believed it, Cesc would be lying.

The money being quoted for Schwarzer is ludicrous but what can we do....

Hoping for some concrete news on this Squillaci chap by the end of the day.

Why isnt Szczesny in the team for the reserve match tonight? Was looking forward to seeing him play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Looks like we're in for squillaci of seville

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6322940,00.html

"The player asked not to play because of the offer from such a big team but, for the moment, we believe the offer is insufficient..."

Didnt they realise it was Arsenal they were dealing with? Of course its going to be an insufficient offer. Thats how we do our business!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    Why isnt Szczesny in the team for the reserve match tonight? Was looking forward to seeing him play.

Starting for Blackpool ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I was hoping to see Woj in the team too. Or I thought maybe Henderson might get in. I know he's not a reserve team regular. But considering they're playing in Ireland thought he might be in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

Why hasn't Fabregas played yet, has he an injury, sure he didnt play much in the WC, will he play on saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Frisbee wrote: »
    ... Or I thought maybe Henderson might get in. I know he's not a reserve team regular. But considering they're playing in Ireland thought he might be in.

I think I read somewhere that Henderson got injured a couple of weeks ago

Why hasn't Fabregas played yet, has he an injury, sure he didnt play much in the WC, will he play on saturday?

He's very tired from all his travelling, you know! I think he's starting at the weekend.

L'prof wrote: »
    Starting for Blackpool ;)

Thats what I was thinking myself! Have to keep an eye on Nordveit too, he could easily be seeing some gametime this season.

I presume Djourou will partner T.V at the weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Where's the team news for tonight's friendly? Cant find it on arsenal.com

edit: wait, found it
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/reserves-news/arsenal-name-squad-for-platinum-challenge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

€20 is scandalous for that match. I'd have gone if it was €10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭event

lads, i see we (leeds) have been linked with henri Lansbury on a season long loan, a bt like watt.

what could we expect if we got him?

event wrote: »
    lads, i see we (leeds) have been linked with henri Lansbury on a season long loan, a bt like watt.

I'm a fan. Attacking midfielder with a lot of promise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Gunnerblog done a great piece on him a while ago, the general opinion was that he would be ready to make the break into the first team this season.

http://gunnerblog.com/?p=2456

cson wrote: »
    €20 is scandalous for that match. I'd have gone if it was €10.

It was €15.... plus ticketmasters' sinister extra €2 per ticket booking fee :mad:

lord lucan wrote: »

10 times better than that Elvis tune. Edelmans idea of 'making' an Arsenal anthem!:rolleyes:

Bring back 'Good old Arsenal!' that's all i say. :)

I remember Squillachi having a great game v Ireland back in 2004 in Paris and been solid for Monaco.
    A fingers crossed for me.

Attacking midfielder with a lot of promise.

Get in the line! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

event wrote: »

Very handy little player. I watched whatever Watford games I could once Tom Cleverley started making headlines on loan there, and Lansbury was almost always impressive.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Wikipedia wrote:
    Henri George Lansbury (born 12 October 1990) is an English professional footballer. A product of Arsenal Academy who can play as a midfielder. He is the grandson of English actress Angela Lansbury.
    lol, I love wikipedia :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭DenMan

Armand Traore is finalising his transfer to Benfica right now. Always liked him as a player but opportunities are getting limited for him and with the tremendous progress Gibbs has been making he feels it's time to move on. Arsenal are cashing in on him. Hope he does great with Benfica.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6323049,00.html

• Advertisement

A shame, but he doesn't really seem to have developed his defensive game much since his arrival. Gibbs looks like the real deal so it makes sense to move him on.

DenMan wrote: »
    Armand Traore is finalising his transfer to Benfica right now. Always liked him as a player but opportunities are getting limited for him and with the tremendous progress Gibbs has been making he feels it's time to move on. Arsenal are cashing in on him. Hope he does great with Benfica.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6323049,00.html

Always thought it was freaky that him, Gibbs, Clichy and even Cashley look so alike.

Good bit of business for Arsenal there, now just give that money to Fulham for a keeper!

I liked the look of Traore going forward but he was defensively weak. I thought he would of made a decent left winger, but he was never going to get a look there either.

Best of luck to him.

On the price of the tickets for the game tonight, they were 20 each + 1/2? booking fee. It was over 40 for 2 anyways...a complete rip off for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I see Wellington is in the squad for the game tonight and Sunday. Should be good to see him in the flesh, here's hoping he plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Awful news on Twitter - Frimpong has apparently done his cruciate ligament and is out for 9 months

Awful news on Twitter - Frimpong has apparently done his cruciate ligament and is out for 9 months

How did he manage that? They weren't even training today...

• Advertisement

Jesus, ye really have terrible luck with injuries. He would have got a bit of gamtime this season too wouldn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Arseblog on twitter reckons Frimpong did his cruciate ligament in training and is gone for 9 months!

Poor guy. The curse of the Arsenal injuries strikes again! :mad:

He would definitely have made a few Carling Cup appearances this year if not more going on his pre-season form.

How did he manage that? They weren't even training today...

Not sure, just seen it retweeted by Arseblog's twiter account, no confirmation of it yet

The guy who first tweeted it said it happened in training, but if Frisbee's right and there is no training, then it can't be true.

The guy who said it also called him Mark Frimpong initially. That made me chuckle.

Shocking news if true. Losing a year or more to injury seems to be an Arsenal rite of passage these days, even in the youths.

• Advertisement

Archimedes wrote: »
    The guy who first tweeted it said it happened in training, but if Frisbee's right and there is no training, then it can't be true.

The guy who said it also called him Mark Frimpong initially. That made me chuckle.

Well he was in the squad for tonight, and according to the website they were only supposed to be training tomorrow. They could have decided to train of course. Or his muscles could have just imploded while he was watching telly, as is the wont of a lot of Arsenal players...

If it is true, then thats horrible luck for the lad, he would of been looking to make a big impression this season.

If it isnt, why on earth would someone start making stuff like that up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

I presume tickets will be handy get tonight ?

peabutler wrote: »
    I presume tickets will be handy get tonight ?

Yeah I rang earlier to see if I could just pay at the door. She said definitely, not close to sold out and as well it's unallocated seating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

If Arsenal get Squillaci that will be a good signing I reckon.

Ush1 wrote: »

I hope we come back with an improved offer soon though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Ush1 wrote: »

Really? We don't really need an experienced centre-half at the moment:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

the statement on the Spanish club's website continued: "Sebastien Squillaci's future is in the air.
    I think it's all a mix-up to be honest and that he's really joining Emirates as a pilot.

Balls to Frimpong doing his cruciate if true also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Balls to Frimpong doing his cruciate if true also.

Feck it's confirmed

http://younggunsblog.co.uk/2010/08/confirmed-frimpong-out-for-the-season/?

Always good to see the young players following the senior players example.

• Advertisement

Fulham have rejected a second offer for Schwarzer - apparently we came back a week later with the same £2m offer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Fulham have rejected a second bid from Arsenal for Mark Schwarzer after the north London club failed to improve on the £2m offer they made for the Australia goalkeeper in May.

There is bemusement at Fulham regarding Arsenal's decision to return this week for Schwarzer and fail to increase their valuation of the 37-year-old, though Arsenal are confident of eventually completing the transfer as the player has lodged a transfer request.

However Mark Hughes, the Fulham manager, does not want to sell Schwarzer and as the close of the transfer window draws nearer, he is not prepared to countenance any deal unless Arsène Wenger makes what Fulham would consider to be a realistic bid for a player who has two years remaining on his contract.

While the Arsenal manager is keen to replace Manuel Almunia, Schwarzer is not necessarily his first choice, with Ajax's Maarten Stekelenburg thought to be among his preferred options.

Shay Given, who has been dislodged by Joe Hart as Manchester City's No1, is also on Wenger's radar.
    Source

Two rejected bids and Frimpong's injury - maybe tomorrow will be better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Why would the club make a second unimproved bid? Surely there must have been some improvement.

"Is he for sale?"
    "No"
    "Oh ok..... is he for sale now?!"

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Maybe and indirect way of saying take this deal NOW or we're off somewhere else...

Disappointing about Frimpong. We clearly weren't going to sign any cover for Song, so I think he would have gotten some game time. Can't see us bringing anyone else in either, even though I felt we already needed someone, this really is shít news.

On the Schwarzer situation, I'd imagine that since he handed in a transfer request since our first bid, they thought Fulham might reconsider. To be perfectly honest, I'm sick of all this bullshít. We've cleary needed a first choice keeper for quite some time now, but are incapable of signing one. I'm genuinely astonished that we've started the new season without a decent keeper and if it's allowed to remain that way past the transfer window, the person responsible needs to be shown a big pair of size 11s out the door.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Anyone else think theres something seriously wrong with us trying to buy Schwarzer from Fulham and then Given going to Fulham... should we not just throw some cash at Citeh?

FearDark wrote: »
    Anyone else think theres something seriously wrong with us trying to buy Schwarzer from Fulham and then Given going to Fulham... should we not just throw some cash at Citeh?

While Given is better than Almunia, I'm not so sure that he's the man for Arsenal. We need someone big and commanding behind our defence at the moment, so I think Schwarzer just makes more sense right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

FearDark wrote: »

Even if we wanted Given, City would not sell him to us

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    Even if we wanted Given, City would not sell him to us

I don't belive this to be true at all, we sold Toure and Adebayor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement