Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Interesting interview with Arsene from a Kenyan interview.

One of the questions:

"Why do you tend to like blacks?" :eek::D

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/sports/InsidePage.php?id=2000013371&cid=38&story=One-On-One

I think that may have been a bootleg interview....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Really ?

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

APIDI: A Kenyan Arsenal fan committed suicide when the team lost to Manchester United. What message would you have for Kenyan Arsenal fans?

WENGER: What? (shocked) My condolences. To Arsenal fans, keep on supporting Arsenal, another invincible team is on the way. And please, do not commit suicide.

Shouldn't of, But I lol'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

x PyRo wrote: »
    Shouldn't of, But I lol'd.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Wenger, the master of comic tact.

either fake or it got seriously lost in translation............:D

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭gingelion

Untitled.jpg

This is surely wrong these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Bye lads, heading oxegen.

Hoping to come back to 3 signings :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

No Eduardo;
    Portugal goalkeeper Eduardo, who was one of the best custodians in South Africa, has signed for Genoa.

I have a sneaking suspicion that that's our signings for the summer wrapped up now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Frisbee wrote: »
    I have a sneaking suspicion that that's our signings for the summer wrapped up now.

Me too. We have Djourou coming back, "like a new signing." We might get a keeper but I'd be very surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

You might be right, it depends on the whole Cesc situation. If he goes they will have to replace him. If not who knows.

I see we are still being linked to Shaun Wright Philips as well. I really don't see him being anything more than a bench warmer for Arsenal.

Well there are more reports today about our bid for Oezil! Would love to sign him if we aren't going to get another CB or goalkeeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Simon Kjaer signed for Wolfsburg for €12m. Surely he would have been worth a punt. Somebody with 2 years top flight experience and a handful of international caps vs some French guy whose career to date has largely been played in the French second division...

Simon Kjaer signed for Wolfsburg for €12m. Surely he would have been worth a punt. Somebody with 2 years top flight experience and a handful of international caps vs some French guy whose career to date has largely been played in the French second division...

Wasn't even that much difference in the price!

I saw that earlier, and it's not like Wolfsburg is even a huge step up from Palermo. He was definitely attainable for nearly the same price as Koscielny. Chamakh, Kjaer and Koscielny would have been a good transfer window.

Very disappointed we missed out on that one especially as we could have had Bendtner constantly talknig to him about how awesome Arsenal is....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

We've missed out there big time. I agree, we should have got Nicky B to do a Barca and gently try to persuade him to sign for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

It seems Kjaer has decided to go somewhere where he is guaranteed first team football. Meh...

It seems Kjaer has decided to go somewhere where he is guaranteed first team football. Meh...

Unless Koscielny turns out to be a hidden gem (which is a possibility considering Wegners previous signing of unknowns) Kjaer would have got first team football with us imo, better than Djourou anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

Hopefully not, this is encouraging - http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-we-re-still-on-market-for-a-defender?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arsenal-news+%28News+Feed%29

Probably means Sol is not staying I guess?

I wonder who, lots of talk in the blogosphere that Konsc...the new guy has been brought in as 3rd choice.

I wonder who, lots of talk in the blogosphere that Konsc...the new guy has been brought in as 3rd choice.

That could just mean we'll see Djourou as first choice with Verm. Plus 12M for a second string CB? Seems like overkill...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

That could just mean we'll see Djourou as first choice with Verm. Plus 12M for a second string CB? Seems like overkill...

To me its more like Koscielny & Vermaelen as starting pair and that Algeria defender and Djourou as backup's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Diddy Kong wrote: »
    To me its more like Koscielny & Vermaelen as starting pair and that Algeria defender and Djourou as backup's.

If we had that with Schwarzer for the beginning of the season I would be happy enough. I know the defenders are not household names but Koscielny has rocketed through divisions in the past 2 years so there is promise, he may just be a late bloomer

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    If we had that with Schwarzer for the beginning of the season I would be happy enough. I know the defenders are not household names but Koscielny has rocketed through divisions in the past 2 years so there is promise, he may just be a late bloomer

Very true, wasnt Drogba playing in Ligue 2 in his early 20s and Ian Wright was another late bloomer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Looks like the penny may have dropped....

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_6251949,00.html

• Advertisement

danlen wrote: »
    Looks like the penny may have dropped....

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_6251949,00.html

It'll just be about how Almunia had personal problems last year but he's over them now, had time to re-evaluate and will be back better than ever.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Interesting interview with Arsene from a Kenyan interview.

One of the questions:

"Why do you tend to like blacks?" :eek::D

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/sports/InsidePage.php?id=2000013371&cid=38&story=One-On-One

According to the club these quotes are fabricated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Wenger seems to rate Djourou very highly. He hasn't looked outstanding from what I've seen.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Wenger seems to rate Djourou very highly. He hasn't looked outstanding from what I've seen.

I thought he looked quiet good when he got a run at the end of 08-09. Its been a long time since we had a good CB on the bench and two good CBs playing.

It seemed that at the end of the last 3 seasons we had a very makeshift CB pairing - in 07-08 Senderos and Song played CB for last few games with Toure RB due to so many injuries (Senderos playing probably cost us thta Champions Laeage QF against Liverpool)

08-09 we ended the season with Djorou and Silvestre as our CBs and in 09-10we ended with Campbell and Silvestre.

If we get another decent CB in we should never again have to go into the business end of a season with such poor CB options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

If that was the case and we had a season like we had last season, Im sorry but it'd have to be time for a change. No matter how much anyone supports Wenger you cant deny time is running out and this is a make or break season. Hes had time, hes now apparently had money (or at least some), hes made mistakes in the past with personal but this is chance to make it right.

If he doesnt take this chance by signing the sufficient players then I feel the penny will never drop for Arsene and we'll just continue to see Arsenal as the almost team. I really really hope it doesnt come to that! ;)

• Advertisement

I hear we are still in for Tasci and Schwarzer. Schwarzer failed the medical though.

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Schwarzer failed the medical though.

Seriously? Where did you here that? The link with Tasci could be interesting, cant admit to knowing much about him but tall German defender in the World Cup squad is a good start! :D

Campbell to Sunderland being reported on sky sports

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6252549,00.html

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

There are still several issues in the side that need to be addressed.

Proper Goalkeeper - Schwarzer is just a stop gap, remains to be seen if he can do the job. It is a big risk but anything is better than the clowns we have currently. And he hasn't been signed yet.

Defence - Hopefully a quality experienced defender comes in, we have lost far too much experience in the 4 CB's released to just bring in another unknown.

Midfield - Whether Fabregas stays or not, we will not be winning anything until we get some pace into midfield. A player like the Flamini of two years ago, Khedira from Germany or even the much maligned Felipe Melo is much needed.

gibson wrote: »
    Campbell to Sunderland being reported on sky sports

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6252549,00.html

FFS. We're not even going to keep the one player who shows desire and plays for the shirt. Well done Wenger. This stuff does my head in, Like when we let Flamini go, We need passionate players. We've got feck all now. Wenger annoys me. Campbell is a must as far as I'm concerned, He's a positive influence on the rest of the team and probably one of only a couple of leaders. We need him. :(

On a happier note...

eboue.gif

FFS. We're not even going to keep the one player who shows desire and plays for the shirt. Well done Wenger. This stuff does my head in, Like when we let Flamini go, We need passionate players. We've got feck all now. Wenger annoys me. Campbell is a must as far as I'm concerned, He's a positive influence on the rest of the team and probably one of only a couple of leaders. We need him. :(

On a happier note...

What you say is true as there was no questions on lack of leadership the last few months, but bear in mind he is 36 and cant play 2 games a week so maybe its not such a disaster. Not ideal either i admit

What you say is true as there was no questions on lack of leadership the last few months, but bear in mind he is 36 and cant play 2 games a week so maybe its not such a disaster. Not ideal either i admit

I wouldn't care if he's 106 tbh, We need people like that in the dressing room. Whether he's sitting on the bench or just a player/coach. We need him if we're to have any hope. Money can't buy experience and leadership, Two things the squad severely lacks.

I wouldn't care if he's 106 tbh, We need people like that in the dressing room. Whether he's sitting on the bench or just a player/coach. We need him if we're to have any hope. Money can't buy experience and leadership, Two things the squad severely lacks.

Well for what its worth he certainly gave the team great leadership. No one can dispute that. yeah i think Wenger should maybe groom him in as a coach it would do no harm

Mannone and Szczęsny will be loaned out next season to gain more first team experience. Seems Almunia and Fabianksi will be kept on as backup with someone like Schwarzer coming in to man the sticks for a season or two.

http://younggunsblog.co.uk/2010/07/szczesny-mannone-key-in-wengers-goalkeeper-changes/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Hope so. Wouldn't fancy Almunia as our number 1 for the season.

• Advertisement

For those who might not have seen it in the other thread, Koscielny was (statistically speaking) the best defender in the French league last season, making the most amount of interceptions and clearances.

http://twitter.com/optajean/status/14845942383

Secondly, to settle the argument about his lack of an international callup... apparently he was sounded out by the Polish manager a couple of seasons ago when he was in league 2 with Tours. He held off holding out for a French call up. Be interesting to see if Blanc will come in for him now he's in the Prem, he's already applied for Polish citizenship apparently.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/football-spy/Arsenal-transfer-target-Laurent-Koscielny-stats-biog-and-watch-him-scoring-for-Tours-FC-article439545.html

There's an interview with Koscielny in one of the French papers. He admits he's a gamble and that Arsene has acknowledged as much, but it doesn't seem to phase him, which is a good sign (I think). Here's a translation for those interested:

http://redlondon.wordpress.com/2010/07/08/arsene-wenger-has-taken-a-gamble-on-me/

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-we-re-still-on-market-for-a-defender
    Wenger - We're still on market for a defender

Arsène Wenger is still looking for a defender, despite having just completed a deal to sign Laurent Koscielny.

The French centre back sealed his much-anticipated move from Lorient on Wednesday. However, there still may be another defensive vacancy to fill.

Wenger has a trio of veteran centre backs out of contract - William Gallas, Sol Campbell and Mikael Silvestre. Their futures are not yet known so their manager is on the look-out.

"We identified Koscielny as a very, very strong centre half," he told Arsenal.com.

"He can be an outstanding addition to our team. But it is not over, we are still open to buy.

"We are still on the market for another defensive player because we have the need for one more."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

how much did the french/polish lad cost?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    how much did the french/polish lad cost?

€12m is reported in places. Others saying around €10m.

Rumours for today:
    Barcelona have admitted they will need to sell striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic in order to fund a move for Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

_Bella_ wrote: »
    News for today:

Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Ush1 wrote: »
    Link?

Can't link it on the phone but, I think it was on BBC gossip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

L'prof wrote: »
    Can't link it on the phone but, I think it was on BBC gossip.

So who do they say Barca have admitted this to? Is there any quotes or anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

So who do they say Barca have admitted this to? Is there any quotes or anything?

Sure speculation I'd say, if you really want to find out, it probably says what paper it was taken from so you can read the full thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

It's from the Daily Star they are just jumping on the story about Barca not being able to pay the players wages and spitting out this i'd say

From justArsenal:
    A report in todays Daily Star is saying that the new Barcelona president Sandro Rosell is taking personal charge of the negotiations with Man City for Zlatan Ibrahimovich, so that he can ring-fence the cash received to pay for Cesc Faregas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement