Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

_Bella_ wrote: »

Yeah, not much there. You'd think if Barca were admitting something they would say it publically?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

Sky Sports has us linked with the Slovenian keeper Handanovic.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_6253309,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

i think Wenger should maybe groom him
    An unfortunate choice of phrase where Sol's involved (even if he is getting married)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Keeper number 5023 to be linked with Arsenal :D

What are people's general opinion here, should we be looking for a keeper that will do for the next 10 years or 1-3 years and allow Szczesny the time to develop and become the number 1?

What about Paul? Surely he has to be worth a couple of quid, predict the match score and play in goals? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'm still disappointed we didn't go for Kjaer consider the money involved and the lack of competition from other big clubs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Kjaer is like playing Flamini at centre back. He's full of effort and determination. But he's a bit of a headless chicken for cb. He'd be much better switched to the DM Flamini role. Could have been a good squad pkayer for us though. Not a starter.

I'm reaally hoping we're in secret negotiations for Benaglio. He's the best keeper that we could afford that is not at one of the European giants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Diddy Kong wrote: »
    What are people's general opinion here, should we be looking for a keeper that will do for the next 10 years or 1-3 years and allow Szczesny the time to develop and become the number 1?

Any club with money and ambition seem to realise how important it is to have the goalkeeper position resolved for once and for all.

Chelsea had Cudicini(who was more than competent) but as soon as they got the cash, they bought Cheh.

Liverpool had Dudek(decent keeper and hero of champions league) but as soon as Benitez took over he got Pepe.

City had Hart and got Given.

I'd like to see us splash out on a long term keeper but there's only a couple I know of that fit the bill, Lloris, Hart etc. if we can't find one, then we should lok for a good stopgap.

It's also really bloody hard to predict how keepers develop so we really can't build our plans around Szczesny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

exactly and if schezny is good enough he will prove it and come through,cream rises to the top and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

If Joe Hart gets made no1 in man city we might be able to get Shay Given

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Given doesn't strike me as one to sit on the bench. If he's ousted in favour of the Premier League's goalie of the year (which he might considering he's due to miss the start of the season iving Hart a headstart) he just might consider moving to Arsenal.

Why would Wenger go in for Given now when he never has before?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

It's not letting me post half of the stuff i'm trying to post, maybe it's because i'm on my phone? Any ideas whats happening frisbee?

Redzer7 wrote: »
    It's not letting me post half of the stuff i'm trying to post, maybe it's because i'm on my phone? Any ideas whats happening frisbee?

What ya mean? No-one has deleted any of your posts anyway, it could just be a problem with you posting off your phone?

psssst guys, I'm deleting all his posts, this is hilarious

Frisbee wrote: »
    What ya mean? No-one has deleted any of your posts anyway, it could just be a problem with you posting off your phone?

psssst guys, I'm deleting all his posts, this is hilarious
    When I try to post or thank a post it says that i can't post or may not have access to the forum due to several reasons then gives a list of how I could be banned etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

When I try to post or thank a post it says that i can't post or may not have access to the forum due to several reasons then gives a list of how I could be banned etc.

mustve been that controversial comment you made ;)

gibson wrote: »
    mustve been that controversial comment you made ;)
    Quotes or GTFO :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Because he's desperate, or at least he should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Quotes or GTFO :P
    I think Spurs will finish higher than Arsenal

Thats fairly controversial, that deserves a ban! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Just saw another name mentioned as a possible signing... Arda Turan. Apparently Arsenal made an inquiry last summer but were rebuffed... now Galatasary are thinking of selling according to his agent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

gibson wrote: »
    Thats fairly controversial, that deserves a ban! :D

Not to mention being an incredibly stupid statement that should be disregarded!

Anyways back to the topic, apparently aload of the top english clubs as well as a few french clubs are being linked with Annan, that Ghana player who people were saying looks like the next Claude Makelele, I hope Arsenal go in for him, exactly the kind of player we need a strong determined hard working DMC.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Just saw another name mentioned as a possible signing... Arda Turan. Apparently Arsenal made an inquiry last summer but were rebuffed... now Galatasary are thinking of selling according to his agent.

I was just about to come in and say how badly we need a left footed left winger, Please let this be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

we need a strong determined hard working DMC.

Whos' house...??.....Runs' house.....I said WHOS' house......?....Runs' house.....break it down.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I read this a while ago but I'm not sure it was posted here - Real Madrid's latest galactico, Di Maria:

“I don’t know exactly what happened with my proposed transfer to Arsenal," he said in the News of the World, adding; “I was very excited about joining them but it never happened.

“From what I’ve been told, the transfer money that was supposed to appear, never appeared and just a day-and-a-half later, Benfica heard about the problem, showed interest in me and quickly hired me."

Another one that got away. We were supposed to sign him and loan him to Salamanca along with Pedro, but we ended up only getting Pedro. How annoying.

I read this a while ago but I'm not sure it was posted here - Real Madrid's latest galactico, Di Maria:

“I don’t know exactly what happened with my proposed transfer to Arsenal," he said in the News of the World, adding; “I was very excited about joining them but it never happened.

“From what I’ve been told, the transfer money that was supposed to appear, never appeared and just a day-and-a-half later, Benfica heard about the problem, showed interest in me and quickly hired me."

Another one that got away. We were supposed to sign him and loan him to Salamanca along with Pedro, but we ended up only getting Pedro. How annoying.

WTF?

as x Pyro says a left footed winger would be ideal, been missing from the squad for a long time now, huge **** up by the club if what Di Maria says is true.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

WTF?

as x Pyro says a left footed winger would be ideal, been missing from the squad for a long time now, huge **** up by the club if what Di Maria says is true.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/wenger-swoops-for-little-angel-457932.html

£2m? ffs.

There was probably no value there.
    Or the price was too much.
    Or we had another player coming back from injury who was going to be like a new signing.
    Or we were to naive.
    OR we were showing great spirit.

hmmm... that would be around the time the property market started to bomb. I wonder does this coincide with the cashflow problems that were had as a result of the Highbury development?

Sure we nearly signed Drogba 10 odd years ago for £500k. Wenger is a clown.

• Advertisement

Because we need him more than ever?

x PyRo wrote: »

If Liam Brady were here he'd be annoyed with you.

Sure, we also had Christiano Ronaldo at the stadium and Yaya Touré on trial.
    Makes me wonder what kind of team of 'near misses' we'd have had we been a bit more ruthless in the transfer market...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

:rolleyes:And yet if we had signed him, people would have been moaning about signing another young African fella from Ligue two.

playa3 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:And yet if we had signed him, people would have been moaning about signing another young African fella from Ligue two.

EDxactly that's what happen when you sign young players, it's a gamble, it might work out and it might not.

When it does the manager is a genius.
    When it doesn't people immediately blame him for the failure.

playa3 wrote: »

You have a permanent twitch or something ?.

Let people moan, Nothing wrong with signing youngsters. If Wenger picked the right ones it would be even better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

If his heart is at Barcelona and he's in Spain, that can only mean one thing...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

...no wonder he's only gotten 93 minutes!

I hope to hell that club go bankrupt somehow. They're a joke.

How do they get away with the incessant harping on about it?

It's getting pathetic at this stage, beautiful brand of football but an ugly way to conduct their business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Galvasean wrote: »
    If Liam Brady were here he'd be annoyed with you.
    Well I've been meaning to reveal myself for some time now... I think that's ridiculous though - Wenger's no clown and you can't sign EVERYONE*.

On Kjaer, I'd be fairly sure the scouts have been aware of him - and if no big clubs were really interested, I'd guess there must be a reason?

* I hope Man City and Barca read Boards and take my wisdom on board.

You have a permanent twitch or something ?.

Let people moan, Nothing wrong with signing youngsters. If Wenger picked the right ones it would be even better.

I just think it's a bit rich calling someone like Wenger a clown for making a mistake in not signing a couple of players. We already had Henry at the time of the potential Drogba signing who is the same age and I reckon was a fairly handy player.

As Frisbee said it's going to happen that there'll always be a few that got away considering the sheer amount of players Wenger and his scouts follow and attempt to sign. When it doesn't work out people go on about how we have to sign established players and not these young nobodies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

How do they get away with the incessant harping on about it?

It's getting pathetic at this stage, beautiful brand of football but an ugly way to conduct their business.

I wonder what will happen of the transfer under Rosell... TBH I think Cesc definitely wants to go. But, I hope Arsenal block the transfer because Barcelona are acting like a disgrace throughout this saga.

Osu wrote: »
    I wonder what will happen of the transfer under Rosell... TBH I think Cesc definitely wants to go. But, I hope Arsenal block the transfer because Barcelona are acting like a disgrace throughout this saga.

I hope Real Madrid come in for him and we accept. Obviously he won't go but then we can just say we're not selling as Barca won't bid enough :D

Barca have disgraced themselves this summer imo with the way they've carried on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I hope Real Madrid come in for him and we accept. Obviously he won't go but then we can just say we're not selling as Barca won't bid enough :D

Barca have disgraced themselves this summer imo with the way they've carried on.

:D That would be a good plan.

I think this transfer saga has a lot more twists yet. I don't think ye will sell this year.

Osu wrote: »
    I think this transfer saga has a lot more twists yet. I don't think ye will sell this year.

Neither do I. I just wish Xavi/Rosell/Pique/Messi/Puyol would just stfu at this stage.

Wasn't there a rumour a while ago that Jose was gonna put in a sneaky bid for him?

I suppose the good thing is that from Cescs point of view it's not that he's absolutely got his heart set on leaving Arsenal at all costs; it's more that he would prefer to be at Barca. This means that we can probably get away with refusing to sell him for a low ball transfer fee, for this year at least.

The Melo for Clichy swap rumours are in the media again today. Italian media seem to suggest Arsenal are the ones who are pushing for it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

There seems to be alot of transfer activity around the emirates this summer.2 players signed already and more in the pipe line apparently.
    Maybe wenger is finally splashing out!

Anymore talk on signing a keeper?i suppose from next week on the tranfers will be crazy after the worldcup finishes.

The Melo for Clichy swap rumours are in the media again today. Italian media seem to suggest Arsenal are the ones who are pushing for it...

Wouldn't be happy with that. Melo is decent alright, but isn't going to add much to the team. He won't be playing in Song's role, and he doesn't offer enough going forward to partner Cesc/Nasri/Diaby.

Would be a bad bit of business for us imo.

Wouldn't be happy with that. Melo is decent alright, but isn't going to add much to the team. He won't be playing in Song's role, and he doesn't offer enough going forward to partner Cesc/Nasri/Diaby.

Would be a bad bit of business for us imo.

I dunno... you don't want an all out attack player alongside Cesc, we end up giving the ball away too much because there are too many players looking for the killer pass. Generally speaking the team looks a lot more balanced when you've the likes of Denilson/Ramsey as opposed to Diaby/Nasri.

From a defensive point of view we also need more players who press in midfield, and if there's one thing Melo's good at it's pressing. And as a he showed for Brazil, he's very good at snuffing out counters and supporting the fullbacks (stamping aside).

I don't want to see a swap involving Clichy at all, but if it were a cash deal he'd be a decent addition to the squad.

I dunno... you don't want an all out attack player alongside Cesc, we end up giving the ball away too much because there are too many players looking for the killer pass. Generally speaking the team looks a lot more balanced when you've the likes of Denilson/Ramsey as opposed to Diaby/Nasri.

From a defensive point of view we also need more players who press in midfield, and if there's one thing Melo's good at it's pressing. And as a he showed for Brazil, he's very good at snuffing out counters and supporting the fullbacks (stamping aside).

I don't want to see a swap involving Clichy at all, but if it were a cash deal he'd be a decent addition to the squad.

The system we played last year was essentially a 4-1-2-2-1, with Mello we'd have to adopt closer to a 4-2-1-2-1, unless we switched to a 4-4-2 in which case I think he'd be a decent partner to Cesc in the middle.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement