Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Honest Xbox vs PS3 Question

• 01-07-2010 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Not looking to start an argument between fans of either console here but wanted to ask a question:

Basically, my Xbox broke down (RROD) for the second time recently and is no longer under warranty from Xbox. It was going to cost 70euro plus VAT to get it repaired so instead I have decided to stump up the cash and buy the new Xbox coming out on the 16th..

My question is, am I mad? Should I just buy a PS3.

Reasons why I was planning to go with the new xbox are:
    - Most of my mates are on Xbox live although i'm more of an offline gamer
    - I think Kinect could be brilliant...Maybe i'm the only one
    - Used to the Xbox, have some xbox games, like the interface.. Why change just for a blue-ray player?

Let me know what you guys think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

you can always trade in the xbox for the new one and won't cost as much.

new xbox looks great but im still staying with my ps3

GT5 coming November :D

Go with what most of your friends are on.

although if you want 3D then ps3 is your friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

I have both but don't think i'd give up on the xbox. Ive six games on ps3 and nearly sixty for the 360. My PS3 these days spends most of it time as a dvd player. Xbox live just seems to be lot better thought out than Psn.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

What Robbie said - pick the one most of your friends use. They're both good devices (I own a 360, but I think it's fair to say the PS3 is probably a better piece of technology). I wouldn't be too worried about Kinect (or Move for that matter) - it's not something for me I think as I tend to put myself in the serious gamer/not arsed getting off my couch (;)) category.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmacma

robbie_998 wrote: »
    you can always trade in the xbox for the new one and won't cost as much.

Go with what most of your friends are on.

although if you want 3D then ps3 is your friend.

Makes sense, can't trade in the xbox due to the issues it has but will trade in the hard drive/wireless router and headset to get a few quid off.

Not really too interested in 3D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

bmacma wrote: »
    Makes sense, can't trade in the xbox due to the issues it has but will trade in the hard drive/wireless router and headset to get a few quid off.

Not really too interested in 3D.

Steady on there, don't go trading them in right away, depending on what the shop is offering for them you might get more for the wireless and hdd on adverts.ie if you can play the waiting game that is, the wireless adapters go for €40 second hand and the hdd anywhere from 30-70ish depending on size. Worth bearing in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

If I was deciding on buying a xbox or a ps3 now I would defenitly pick a ps3 since the xbox does not really have any good exclusive games apart from halo and fable 3 coming out and it looks like microsoft are focosing on casual natal games :(

calex71 wrote: »
    Steady on there, don't go trading them in right away, depending on what the shop is offering for them you might get more for the wireless and hdd on adverts.ie if you can play the waiting game that is, the wireless adapters go for €40 second hand and the hdd anywhere from 30-70ish depending on size. Worth bearing in mind.

Good point, was thinking of throwing them up on eBay but really want to get a system again as was getting into Red Dead Redemption and it's annoying me not being able to play it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

I have a feeling this thread will get locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Hoort

New Xbox

250GB Hardrive
    Wireless Built In
    New mat Black finish

** Really why am I the only one that thinks PS3 here **

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I have both, PS3 and 360. if the 360 broke I'd replace it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Have both consoles. If either of them broke I'd replace it.

This is doubly true if you only have one console, have a bunch of games for it and most of your mates have it too.

Side note, if people start using 3D as a reason to get a PS3 now I think I'll treat them with the same level of contempt I did for those who used GT5 as a reason back in 2006. :pac:

P.S. 3D won't be exclusively on the PS3 but I don't want to derail your thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

gizmo wrote: »
    Have both consoles. If either of them broke I'd replace it.

This is doubly true if you only have one console, have a bunch of games for it and most of your mates have it too.

Side note, if people start using 3D as a reason to get a PS3 now I think I'll treat them with the same level of contempt I did for those who used GT5 as a reason back in 2006. :pac:

P.S. 3D won't be exclusively on the PS3 but I don't want to derail your thread.

Also for 3D you need the new 3D TVs and the glasses which alot of people say cause headaches after 30m to 1h!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

I too have both consoles , i'm on my ninth xbox and still on my first ps3 , and would replace either if broken , in saying that its each to their own .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

how much for the wireless?

would it be worth his while fixing the rrod and then trading it in for the new one?
    would there be a profit?
    i was shown pictures of red dead in the same places on the ps3 and 360 and the 360 was way better
    that 3d thing should have no effect.
    disaster really.
    need a 3d telly aswel
    whats the starting price for them like?
    most people are just after getting lcd and plasma tellys in the past few years that wil last another good couple of years.
    if 3d was making up your mind on this then you could affort to buy both consoles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Not every sentance needs a new paragraph man!

*screams*

Meh, just renew your 360, don't see any point in switching consoles now.

Well first off, I think you could probably get it repaired for less than €70 but, for arguments sake, lets call it that.

So, taking current trade-in prices into consideration it'd be something along the lines of...

New 360 = €249.99
    Trade-in price for current 360 Elite / Pro = -€100 / €75
    Cost of repair = €70
    Total cost = €219.99 / €244.99

Alternatively, you could buy a current Elite model but you wouldn't get the trade-in price for your current 360. You'd also need to add the wireless N adaptor.

Elite = €199.99
    Wireless N adaptor = €55
    Total Cost = €254.99

So, all in all I'd recommend waiting until July 16th for the new 360.

Regarding "profit" the only way you'll see it is if you repair your 360 and trade it in against the new 360 being released later this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Shammy wrote: »
    I too have both consoles , i'm on my ninth xbox and still on my first ps3 , and would replace either if broken , in saying that its each to their own .

Wow nine i thought the six i'd gone through was taking the p*ss. I still have the last one's coffin just in case the new one decides it wants to take a trip to the big repair center in the sky.

Thanks for all the comments guys, I'm going to go ahead and get the new 360 on the 16th.

Looking forward to it, hope there are no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Good choice I'd say.

I would definitely go with the console which my friends own, even if your an offline gamer mostly, you might ocassionally fancy a game or two with them which can be good craic. Plus, you're already well setup with the xbox (ie: hdd, games, etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

It really depends on what your in to and also what your friends play. If you want a blu ray player then you will have to buy the ps3 if you like watching sky t.v. And online gaming then get the 360.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Just get both. Preference wise, I am more into the 360 than the PS3. The controller for the PS3 just hurts my digits. I was playing both this past weekend and I just prefer the 360.

I wonder how long it will be until the next proper version?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

Wow nine i thought the six i'd gone through was taking the p*ss. I still have the last one's coffin just in case the new one decides it wants to take a trip to the big repair center in the sky.

WTF......... nine and six you guy's must have deep pockets, or enjoy being taken for a ride. Buying a product that is clearly broken 9 TIMES. Is that not a bit like hitting yourself over and over with a hammer.

My shiny new Xbox better not have a fail rate like that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I have both... I have had ps3 since launch but mine broke a while back (disc reader) and now my brother came home with his.. I never play my Xbox which I got back in October so I am going to trade that in and get the new Xbox as the one thing I hated about Xbox was no wi-fi and now the slim has what I need so hopefully I will play the Xbox more..

PS3 imo is the best with the best games out there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

Kxiii wrote: »

I'm in the exact same position as you - Xbox RROD for the second time and as mentioned above I'm not going to be taken for a ride. Absolute madness that you guys stuck with them for that long. The machine is essentially faulty and rather then fixing the issue they have just changed how it now breaks with the new system by shutting the console down.

You would be mad to buy one of the new systems first off as you just don't know whats going to be wrong with them. I have been with Microsoft since the day the Xbox 360 came out, a member of Xbox Live Gold for the five years, have bought loads of games and accessories - came to a total of over €2000 - and the best they could do for me is charge me €91 to repair something that I didn't break.

I actually sent them an email with a list of everything I bought and told them they had lost a customer and had them ringing me for a week afterwards. They also emailed me back claiming that RROD isn't a big issue :pac: I have now decided to save up and buy the PS3 due to this farce - I mean 8 different consoles is nothing short of a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Not every sentance needs a new paragraph man!

*screams*

Haha my thoughts exactly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Its simple both consoles are the same more or less now. It comes down to your friends if they are all on xbox stay on xbox thats the most important thing.

Only 3 things i can think of that make the PS3 a bit different from xbox.

Blu-ray is brilliant for me as i love movies.
    Internet browser is good for me as i can watch TV online on the big telly while working on the laptop.
    online gaming is free (and no LIVE is not better they are the very same)

You know I was thinking the same thing last night as I booted up my console...

I noticed some of my friends were online so I joined their party for a quick chat as I was finishing off a level of Afro Samurai while they were playing Red Dead Redemption. We caught up over the next 10mins and, after finishing the level I was on in Afro, we decided to play some Bad Company 2 together. I started up the game, sent them some invites as they were finishing up in RDR and we then created a squad from the guys in our party and played for a few hours.

Later, one of the guys mentioned that Mega Man 10 was in the Deal Of The Week so I dropped out, checked the latest Game Demos available and grabbed the Trial version quickly. It looked great and was 50% off so I grabbed it just before the guys re-invited me back into the game from the party I was still in. They also mentioned that the Summer Of Arcade is starting with even more sweet games coming out.

Now, what console am I talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Its simple both consoles are the same more or less now. It comes down to your friends if they are all on xbox stay on xbox thats the most important thing.

Only 3 things i can think of that make the PS3 a bit different from xbox.

Blu-ray is brilliant for me as i love movies.
    Internet browser is good for me as i can watch TV online on the big telly while working on the laptop.

I agree with all above except, for me Live is better and far more reliable. PSN has far too much down time and the PSN store is very slow to navigate.

Live Gold costs me 9 cent per day. Practically free for a better quality service IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I agree that in most respects LIVE is better than PSN, but the PSN store is alot easier to use than the LIVE store in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Anthony Walsh

As a software developer(well nearly there) I find the PS3 is one powerful machine but my god the planning stage was crap. All these little niggly things about get to me. Firstly I don't own one I have an xbox but the lad I live with has one and I play it quite a bit.
    Firstly when I turn it on his profile signs in, fair enough that should be expected so I start up the game without realising its his profile, I've made the same mistake on other games. So lets take tony hawks for example it takes forever to load ( a lifetime to be precise:P) and it finally loads and I think oh this isn't my profile I'll just swap profiles, so xbox sign out and sign back in and your brought to the main menu of the game. PS3 go to sign out , message pops up you have to quit the game ( talk about crushing your spirit I just wasted 5 minutes watching it load the first time)

The pads are still awful (personally I don't like the layout but thats opinion and not a problem) the problem with them is they are soo flimsy, I bet i could snap one in two. The buttons are always getting stuck just like the ps2 pads, there are 3 pads in my house and none of them are perfect. The triggers not really being triggers and having to buy a periferal to make them real triggers (I know its the same for the wireless for xbox and it took them years to fix i'll be the first to admit it, but to be fair that meant releasing a whole new console, all sony need to do is make a new pad)

The god awful on/off and eject buttons. Hopefully Xbox sensor buttons dont go the same way.

The charger wires, i know you can get some fairly long ones, but my god there are some deserately short ones.

Oh and xbox may be very loud but out of all the ps3's I have been around my god they are loud

I know i had way more problems, damn should have taken bullet points on my last rant :p I guess I should post rebuttle rant on the Xbox 360's problems some time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement