Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11 (mod warning in post #7124)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

niallo27 wrote: »
    Dont worry about it mate, torres has a bit of class about him, he wouldn't fit in at Chelsea and your wonderful fans

Nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Johner wrote: »
    We could afford him I'd say :p , but the days of Roman splashing huge amounts of cash around are over it would seem. Can't see us making too many more signings this summer at all.

Thats more what I meant actually. Even in the good old days of free spending the biggest ye paid out was 30 mill (and look at the disaster that was) so i can't see ye now forking out 50 million in these harder times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

flahavaj wrote: »
    Thats more what I meant actually. Even in the good old days of free spending the biggest ye paid out was 30 mill (and look at the disaster that was) so i can't see ye now forking out 50 million in these harder times.

cant see it happening either, 50 million for one player just isnt going likely, I would say however that we would have shelled out 30 million for Robinho last summer if he hadnt been swayed at the last minute, so I could easily see us spending that much!!

neymar would be a great start, young unproven talent which altho costing us big money, wouldnt cost the world like Torres/Aguero, they would have a year of two training together with our current first team and that would stand to the next crop, thats why i think we'll still do some business, but maybe not the already proven talents!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Torres is a fantastic player... when he is fit and uninjured, which is a rare occurence these days. We honestly do not need him at present at Chelsea. I'd much prefer a younger striker (read: Aguero, Mueller et al), which I'll admit is looking less and less likely. But c'est la vie... Glad to see Liverpool fans aren't bitter at losing their one and only hope anyway...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

how do you reckon you lot are sorted for the 25man squad rule?

From looking at the Chelsea squad, I can only see Lampard, Terry and Cole who would be first team regs qualifying as 'home grown', while the 25man squad needs either 8 home grown players or 8 as a mixture of home grown or under 21 as of Jan 1st 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

how do you reckon you lot are sorted for the 25man squad rule?

From looking at the Chelsea squad, I can only see Lampard, Terry and Cole who would be first team regs qualifying as 'home grown', while the 25man squad needs either 8 home grown players or 8 as a mixture of home grown or under 21 as of Jan 1st 2010.

Alot of teams will struggle with the rule.

Losing J.Cole will effect us, but off the top off my head :

Turnbull will qualify as a home grown player
    Bruma - U21
    Van Aanholt - U21
    Matic - U21
    Kakuta - U21

That makes 8, including Lamps,JT and Ashley.

There is more also, Scott Sinclair, if we hold on to him, but thats just players off the top of my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

gavredking wrote: »
    Alot of teams will struggle with the rule.

Losing J.Cole will effect us, but off the top off my head :

Turnbull will qualify as a home grown player
    Bruma - U21
    Van Aanholt - U21
    Matic - U21
    Kakuta - U21

That makes 8, including Lamps,JT and Ashley.

There is more also, Scott Sinclair, if we hold on to him, but thats just players off the top of my head.
    with those 5 players - are any of them likely to make that big an impact? Considering they are U21 and thus wouldn't need to be registered, it seems a waste to register them and thus wasting squad places - though if you don't have the senior players to fill it what else could be done?

with those 5 players - are any of them likely to make that big an impact? Considering they are U21 and thus wouldn't need to be registered, it seems a waste to register them and thus wasting squad places - though if you don't have the senior players to fill it what else could be done?

Matic, Kakuta and Bruma should all see action at some stage, also Borini could get a few chances. It all depends on injuries and our squad depth.

I think Turnbull will get the nod at the start of the season if Cech doesnt make it.

Bruma will cover for Ivanovic or Bosingwa, depending on Carvalhos depatrue and Alex being injured we could start with:

Turnbull

Bruma JT Ivanovic A.Cole

AS you said Mitch, as they are U-21 they dont have to be included but they might have to make up the numbers anyway.

It will be interesting to see what comes out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I think Chelsea have only about 5 or 6 "home-grown" players.

Ticket for the West Brom game arrived today. :)

Also Torres is one of the best strikers in the world but I just can't see us spending 50million pounds on any player.

• Advertisement

I F**KING LOVE CHELSEA I DO :pac:

Also, I love my new home jersey with Essien 5 on the back, GET IN.

Kick off the new season is well and truly under way.

Lets hope to continue were we left off last season :cool:

CHAMPIONS 09/10

CARE FREEEEEEEEEEE :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

Hi,

Just wondering what time do tickets go on sale ? I know the date they go on sale , but it doesn’t specify a time.

Also does the system pick a random seat or will it be first come , first served for closest seat to the pitch?

Thanks in advance !

7am!

And yeah it think it just gives you the closest available to the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

Thanks for that. So If I’m up and raring to go at 7, does it take long? Also What is the best Stand to get, I was looking at east lower to in around the midde, Would you to get as close to the pitch as possible.

Any tips??

Cheers

the Ramires transfer rumours look to be true, being reported on SSN now that the player has pleaded with the club to make it happen!!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=810812&sec=transfers&cc=5739

would be a fine replacement for Ballack http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMlciZMXhiQ IMO!!

Thanks for that. So If I’m up and raring to go at 7, does it take long? Also What is the best Stand to get, I was looking at east lower to in around the midde, Would you to get as close to the pitch as possible.

Any tips??

Cheers

If you are on at 7am you should have no problem, there is a queuing system that sometimes ****s up but it's usually grand.

I always go to the Shed Lower, along with the Matthew Harding Lower it's definitely the best atmosphere. But East and West would have the best views but wouldn't be as good atmosphere wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Some of our young lads have unfortunately just been hammered by Wycombe, with one player scoring three times in four minutes against us!

http://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/page/LatestNews/0,,10430~2105666,00.html

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Team that played
    Chelsea XI: Samuel Walker; Billy Clifford, Rohan Ince, Aziz Deen-Conteh, Ryan Bertrand; Scott Sinclair, Jack Cork, Conor Clifford, Milan Lalkovic (Dan Philliskirk, 59); Franco Di Santo, Aliu Djalo (Philipp Prosenik, 59)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Jesus, Im looking for highlights but not sure if Ill be able to stomach watching them. I wonder how regular starters react to hearing about defeats like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭robbeardsley

I'm aware of only Di Santo and Sinclair from that team. How close (or far) are the rest to the senior team?

• Advertisement

7 of them are from the Youth cup winning team/squad.

Some of our young lads have unfortunately just been hammered by Wycombe, with one player scoring three times in four minutes against us!

http://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/page/LatestNews/0,,10430~2105666,00.html
    Team that played
    Chelsea XI: Samuel Walker; Billy Clifford, Rohan Ince, Aziz Deen-Conteh, Ryan Bertrand; Scott Sinclair, Jack Cork, Conor Clifford, Milan Lalkovic (Dan Philliskirk, 59); Franco Di Santo, Aliu Djalo (Philipp Prosenik, 59)

Thats a pretty strong starting team to get beat like that.

But as in all pre-season games I wouldnt read anything into it at all.

I dont expect any of the starting players to play for the seniors this year, Sinclair and Di Santo might get some game time in the Carling Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

and the reamires transfer goes on and on and on and........

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11668_6285869,00.html

I really hope we sign this guy but will it ever actually happen:mad:

MUSEIST wrote: »

I think it depends on what Carlo feels he needs, there is no point wasting money on a player that is gonna play second fiddle to someone and have him sit on the bench.

But id like to see him join, IMO it would be a good investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Now I'm begining to get concerned with the lack of transfer activity in the transfer market, looks like Ramieres deal is now only 50/50, I hope we have players lined up as I'm getting a little bit impatient!

Thats a pretty strong starting team to get beat like that.

But as in all pre-season games I wouldnt read anything into it at all.

I dont expect any of the starting players to play for the seniors this year, Sinclair and Di Santo might get some game time in the Carling Cup.

Di Santo should be sold imo. It's becoming fairly obvious that he is nowhere near good enough. He's still young but his loan spell was a bit of a disaster and he has been shocking pre season.

smuckers wrote: »
    Now I'm begining to get concerned with the lack of transfer activity in the transfer market, looks like Ramieres deal is now only 50/50, I hope we have players lined up as I'm getting a little bit impatient!

Im kind of in the same boat as you, as are a lot of the fans, but you have to think as well do we really need to splash back on players?

We won the league last year missing Essien for alot of it and Bosingwa to, also there was Terry's personal life and problems, that didnt help him and he had a decent season, i thought Alex and Ivanovic and A.cole were brillant though and A.Cole was out for a few weeks to.

Drogba, Mikel and Kalou all went to the ACN in January dont forget.

So my main point is really, we have nearly the same squad as last year but rememebr what we won with this squad and how we played when we finally found the right system, and now think of the players coming back from injury.

Our squad is well capable of defending this league and if the last 10-15 games of the season is anything to go on we will win it next year by +7 points IMO, once we cut out the poor away form we showed at the early part of the season.

Also, our main rivals, Man Utd have also had a quite transfer window, Arsenal spent a bit and City and Spurs just wont challenge us all the way, i expect City and Spurs to have good seasons but neither will win the league.

To sum up, Id love more transfer activity, I would, Id love to see a top, top player this summer put on the blue shirt but im not pushed if we dont, becasue our current squad, although pushing on, have plenty to offer for the coming season.

Di Santo should be sold imo. It's becoming fairly obvious that he is nowhere near good enough.

Agree, hes average at best, and even when he was fit and playing for Blackburn he didnt really play that well or good TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

I agree that we should be fine in England but I don't think that squad is good enough to win the CL. Real Madrid, Barca and possibly Inter will be stronger imo.
    Im kind of in the same boat as you, as are a lot of the fans, but you have to think as well do we really need to splash back on players?

We won the league last year missing Essien for alot of it and Bosingwa to, also there was Terry's personal life and problems, that didnt help him and he had a decent season, i thought Alex and Ivanovic and A.cole were brillant though and A.Cole was out for a few weeks to.

Drogba, Mikel and Kalou all went to the ACN in January dont forget.

So my main point is really, we have nearly the same squad as last year but rememebr what we won with this squad and how we played when we finally found the right system, and now think of the players coming back from injury.

Our squad is well capable of defending this league and if the last 10-15 games of the season is anything to go on we will win it next year by +7 points IMO, once we cut out the poor away form we showed at the early part of the season.

Also, our main rivals, Man Utd have also had a quite transfer window, Arsenal spent a bit and City and Spurs just wont challenge us all the way, i expect City and Spurs to have good seasons but neither will win the league.

To sum up, Id love more transfer activity, I would, Id love to see a top, top player this summer put on the blue shirt but im not pushed if we dont, becasue our current squad, although pushing on, have plenty to offer for the coming season.

• Advertisement

bullpost wrote: »
    I agree that we should be fine in England but I don't think that squad is good enough to win the CL. Real Madrid, Barca and possibly Inter will be stronger imo.

Yup, I think Europe should be a priority this season, if not the mian priority.

But to win the CL you need a huge slice of luck.

I think Barca and Real are favourties, Baca because they are Barcelona and real because they have a very strong squad and Jose, I think Inter will go to the quarters but Rafa wont do what Jose did and go and win it with that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

I think it depends on what Carlo feels he needs, there is no point wasting money on a player that is gonna play second fiddle to someone and have him sit on the bench.

But id like to see him join, IMO it would be a good investment.

c1_Yuri_Zhirkov_get_895267a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

There was a piece in the Times today saying that the attempt to sign him has stalled as Benfica believe they will get a better price next summer after Ramires has played in the champions league.

Benfica sold 50% of his economic rights to a third party (Jazzy Ltd) last month & are trying to persuade them to delay the transfer.

Jordonvito wrote: »
    c1_Yuri_Zhirkov_get_895267a.jpg

Zhirkov is class, you will see this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Zhirkov is class, you will see this season.

Oh I know he's class! Just think he's too good to warm the bench for ye. Thought it was an excessive purchase like, 18 mil for a back up left back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

But Zhirkov is not an LB, he's a winger.

• Advertisement

Jordonvito wrote: »
    Oh I know he's class! Just think he's too good to warm the bench for ye. Thought it was an excessive purchase like, 18 mil for a back up left back.

Zhirkov was struggling with a knee injury last season and played 26 games. Hardly warming the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

did we really lose 5-1 against Wycombe ?

the_monkey wrote: »

no, but our youth/reserve team did!!

the_monkey wrote: »

It's down as a reserve game. Anyway still should have done a lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ye're kid kakuta looked very good for france in the U-19's Euro's.

Set up the winner in the final yesterday as well. wriggled free of the defenders to get a shot away which was very well saved, and then dinked the parried ball back over to the back post for the onrushing striker, very nice play. Looks a composed, dangerous player.

• Advertisement

Really hoping we see more of Kakuta this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Really hoping we see more of Kakuta this year.

France Under 19s beat their Spanish counterparts 2 - 1 yesterday and although he didn't score Kakuta was one of the stars of the tournament for France. The French press are calling the team "the Kakuta generation". They are expecting great things from him

Yeah hes an immense talent and I'm just hoping he gets a bit more gametime with us this season.

I'd say without a doubt he will be 1st team squad this season

Yeah I just checked Chelseafc.com , BBC just had the result - no match report.

Thank christ it was the reserves, was gonna post up a big SEASON OVER moan :D:D ..

Hehe .. new season more +'ity this year...

Squad travelling for tomorrow:

Hilario
    Ross Turnbull
    Sam Walker
    Jeffrey Bruma
    John Terry
    Michael Mancienne
    Patrick van Aanholt
    Paulo Ferreira
    Ashley Cole
    Ricardo Carvalho
    Branislav Ivanovic
    Michael Essien
    John Mikel Obi
    Nemanja Matic
    Yury Zhirkov
    Florent Malouda
    Yossi Benayoun
    Josh McEachran
    Scott Sinclair
    Salomon Kalou
    Nicolas Anelka
    Didier Drogba
    Fabio Borini

Sturridge has an ankle ligament injury and Lampard is sick.
    Lets hope for a far better performance than against Ajax.

I also notice Di Santo is not in the squad???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

I also notice Di Santo is not in the squad???

Shocker! :P

thank fuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Di santo is **** tbh. I used to have high hopes for him. Also I see kakuta is due to join up with the squad in germany

Wht do ye guy think of thishttp://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/894263/BLUES-OFFER-CONTRACT-TO-BEGIRISTAIN.html

BOLLIX!!!

Has to be, this is Chelsea, "we won the double in 2010, so no new players are needed , even though all the other teams
    are investing , we are OK !! " ...

5th in PL in 2011 ...

CL / QF ...

FA cup ... Who gives a **** ??

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement