Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11 (mod warning in post #7124)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Obaraten wrote: »
    Should Torres be dropped?
    tidy enough result tbf.

I wouldn't drop him to be honest. He seemed to be gaining some momentum over the last few games, but tonight he was completely flat. In fairness he has played with 4 different strike partners now. It'll take him until next season to hit top form. Won't stop people getting on his back though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Kalou was excellent, he always performs better coming from the bench though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I wouldn't drop him to be honest. He seemed to be gaining some momentum over the last few games, but tonight he was completely flat. In fairness he has played with 4 different strike partners now. It'll take him until next season to hit top form. Won't stop people getting on his back though.
    Comes with the price tag though.
    Everyone knew if he went a few games without scoring the pressure would mount.
    Chelsea fans must be getting a little bit worried at this stage?

amiable wrote: »
    Comes with the price tag though.
    Everyone knew if he went a few games without scoring the pressure would mount.
    Chelsea fans must be getting a little bit worried at this stage?

Why would we be worried? He is four games into his Chelsea career ffs. I have no doubt he will be a world class player for us scoring lots of goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Johner wrote: »
    Why would we be worried? He is four games into his Chelsea career ffs. I have no doubt he will be a world class player for us scoring lots of goals.

Scouser in sticking the knife into former poster boy shocker.:pac:

• Advertisement

Its a question ffs
    Notice the ?at the end of the sentence

Heaven forbid someone asks a genuine question of the Chelsea fans, sorry i should just do as you all say.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

PLUS - he's had plenty of goal celebrations to partake in!! Have no worries at all bout him coming good.

Heaven forbid someone asks a genuine question of the Chelsea fans, sorry i should just do as you all say.

Did you really think we would be worried this early though? He's been at the club just over a month.:o

Did you really think we would be worried this early though? He's been at the club just over a month.:o
    Honestly some posters on here were begging him to move about in the second half.
    I only saw the first half so i don't know.
    And being a bit pedantic i think he's played 5 games now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

lol

He is a January signing coming into a new team, he is out of form and has had feck all rest last 2 years unless injured.

Go find me 3 big Jan signings that did well straight away.

Torres will be class and Liverpool fans will be very upset :)

Think it is 5 actually,forgot about Copenhagen.

lol

He is a January signing coming into a new team, he is out of form and has had feck all rest last 2 years unless injured.

Go find me 3 big Jan signings that did well straight away.

Torres will be class and Liverpool fans will be very upset :)
    Hold on i asked a question of chelsea fans.
    It was a simple yes or no
    Not the reaction i got.
    Fair enough. Drive people away and have your love in if you like.
    Rival fans make things entertaining in all the superthreads.

Think it is 5 actually,forgot about Copenhagen.
    Well 50 mill and no goals in 5 games.
    Is there no hint of worry?

Not at all, his class will shine through and once he gets that first goal he will start banging them in.

Not at all, his class will shine through and once he gets that first goal he will start banging them in.
    Now that wasn't that hard;)
    See the rest of yee, if Johner can do it so can yee:D

Not the reaction i got.
    You asked a ridiculous question.

You got the appropriate answer.

Vidic, Evra and Ivanovic were all Jan signings. Took the United 2 6 months and they were quality.

Ivanovic was a very slow starter and ast year was best RB in Europe, this year he does a top notch job across the back and is scoring goals.

Torres is proven word class.

He is only settling in and getting back to 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Lads, what's the story with Bosingwa? Why hasn't he signed a new deal yet, is there one on the table?

You got the appropriate answer.

Vidic, Evra and Ivanovic were all Jan signings. Took the United 2 6 months and they were quality.

Ivanovic was a very slow starter and ast year was best RB in Europe, this year he does a top notch job across the back and is scoring goals.

Torres is proven word class.

Well if you find it ridiculous don't answer it

Not the reaction i got.

Its fair to say you oh-so-innocent and concerned little question has gotten a resounding no. I'd say the lads are touched at your concern.

You lot are like a jilted ex boyfriend who was dumped because his willy was too small trawling the ex woman's facebok pages to see who she's getting proper length from these days.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Torres is proven world class.

FYP!:pac:

Well if you find it ridiculous don't answer it

You're whinging if people answer and whinging if they don't. Your username is very inappropriate.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Its fair to say you oh-so-innocent and concerned little question has gotten a resounding no. I'd say the lads are touched at your concern.

You lot are like a jilted ex boyfriend who was dumped because his willy was too small trawling the ex woman's facebok pages to see who she's getting proper length from these days.:pac:
    Again nothing to add in your post except to kiss arse.
    Totting up those thanks flahavague:D

Lads, what's the story with Bosingwa? Why hasn't he signed a new deal yet, is there one on the table?
    There is a offer and he is waiting til the summer.
    papagormo wrote: »
    FYP!:pac:
    No, I hear he is amazing at spelling. His dream is to be on countdown.

You're whinging if people answer and whinging if they don't. Your username is very inappropriate.
    Yes Mr Mod:D

Again nothing to add in your post except to kiss arse.
    Totting up those thanks flahavague:D

I told you I'll straighten you out by hook or by crook.;)

No, I hear he is amazing at spelling. His dream is to be on countdown.

Sure who wouldn't want to be on Countdown, that Rachel Riley...fackin' ell!:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I asked a question in the match thread tonight, it wasnt me having a go, i was asking a genuine question. If Nando keeps performing like this, how long will it take until he is put on the bench?

Melion wrote: »
    I asked a question in the match thread tonight, it wasnt me having a go, i was asking a genuine question. If Nando keeps performing like this, how long will it take until he is put on the bench?

Probably the same length of time it took Liverpool to put him on the bench, never.

• Advertisement

Probably the same length of time it took Liverpool to put him on the bench, never.

We had no other options really, Chelsea have Drogba, Anelka and Kalou.

He will be benched very soon if he keeps playing like he has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭superfrank

I think its fairly sad that pool fans have to be bitter towards torres to make themselves feel better. Fair enough 50mil in crazy but once he gets his first goal he will bang them in.

Torres owes liverpool nothing , he was one of their best players over the last 3 seasons and they made a nice little profit..no need to be so bitter !! Move on!

superfrank wrote: »
    I think its fairly sad that pool fans have to be bitter towards torres to make themselves feel better. Fair enough 50mil in crazy but once he gets his first goal he will bang them in.

Torres owes liverpool nothing , he was one of their best players over the last 3 seasons and they made a nice little profit..no need to be so bitter !! Move on!

Hope im not being included in that little comment. Im asking a genuine question because IMO Chelsea still have a chance at the title and keeping an off-form striker in the starting 11 will seriously harm that eventually.

If you are referring to me for mentioning the 50 mill i can assure you i wasn't being bitter.
    Its a forum my friend and questions are allowed to be asked

If you are referring to me for mentioning the 50 mill i can assure you i wasn't being bitter.
    Its a forum my friend and questions are allowed to be asked

Wasn't referring to you :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

You may have missed the scores on Sunday but Liverpool beat Man Utd 3-1 with Suarez playing an absolute blinder. I'm pretty sure that almost every Liverpool fan would rather have him in the team than Torres at the minute. So no, no bitterness.

You may have missed the scores on Sunday but Liverpool beat Man Utd 3-1 with Suarez playing an absolute blinder. I'm pretty sure that almost every Liverpool fan would rather have him in the team than Torres at the minute. So no, no bitterness.

Haha lol.

Football fans have very short memories sometimes.;)

Melion wrote: »
    Chelsea still have a chance at the title and keeping an off-form striker in the starting 11 will seriously harm that eventually.
    We have the big names but sadly for us Drogba is miles off his best, Kalou can be hit and miss (literally!:D) Anelka has been putting in some good performances when played alongside Torres.
    They could become the most likely pairing over the coming games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I expect Torres to be back in Lverpool for about 15m in circa 18 to 30 months.

papagormo wrote: »
    We have the big names but sadly for us Drogba is miles off his best, Kalou can be hit and miss (literally!:D) Anelka has been putting in some good performances when played alongside Torres.
    They could become the most likely pairing over the coming games.
    Seems crazy Anelka didn't start tonight
    Thought his pace could expose Blackpool

• Advertisement

Well the original plan was to have both.

Well the original plan was to have both.
    Plans change. Torres wanted to go and Liverpool got a good fee for him

That really has no bearing on my point tbh. I am well aware what happened. Keep up.

The point being made that Suarez was playing on Saturday instead of Torres is plain wrong. He was signed to play with him, then Torres left and Carroll was bought to replace him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Haha lol.

Football fans have very short memories sometimes.;)

How long a memory do you need to remember the last time Torres was as good as the media keep telling us Torres is?

It could well turn out to be a very, very good piece of business for LFC.

And before the accusations come out this isn't bitterness. Torres built his game and his reputation on being very sharp and fast. For Liverpool his best performances came playing on the shoulder of the last defender running onto through balls from Gerrard. But he has had a succession of deep muscle injuries in his legs, principally the hamstrings. Which isn't really surprising - explosive pace like he had is very hard on teh body - it literally stretches muscles to popping point and the springback from there is what generates that burst of pace and speed.

But when you keep injuring your hamstrings they accumulate scar tissue, which is much less elastic. And to prevent further injuries players bulk up the muscles - but again that blunts the edge of speed. So they slow down dramatically.

Now if a player doesn't have much pace to begin with or has other elements to his game then that's not so important. And tbf Torres is strong and good in teh air. But if he has permanently lost that edge of pace then he will never again be the player he was. Look at Michael Owen as a perfect example - by his mid 20s he was finished as an elite striker.

(and yes I did say all of this when he was playing for Liverpool)

Only time will tell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Lets not forget, Torres was unquestionably the top dog forward for Liverpool in his 3.5 seasons there (Ngog and Jovanovic were hardly serious challengers), and he probably has yet to adjust to the fact that he has to play alongside two strong personalities in Anelka and Drogba.

Will be interesting to see if he can handle it in the long run!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

How long a memory do you need to remember the last time Torres was as good as the media keep telling us Torres is?

It could well turn out to be a very, very good piece of business for LFC.

And before the accusations come out this isn't bitterness. Torres built his game and his reputation on being very sharp and fast. For Liverpool his best performances came playing on the shoulder of the last defender running onto through balls from Gerrard. But he has had a succession of deep muscle injuries in his legs, principally the hamstrings. Which isn't really surprising - explosive pace like he had is very hard on teh body - it literally stretches muscles to popping point and the springback from there is what generates that burst of pace and speed.

But when you keep injuring your hamstrings they accumulate scar tissue, which is much less elastic. And to prevent further injuries players bulk up the muscles - but again that blunts the edge of speed. So they slow down dramatically.

Now if a player doesn't have much pace to begin with or has other elements to his game then that's not so important. And tbf Torres is strong and good in teh air. But if he has permanently lost that edge of pace then he will never again be the player he was. Look at Michael Owen as a perfect example - by his mid 20s he was finished as an elite striker.

(and yes I did say all of this when he was playing for Liverpool)

I agree with this.

For me it's a genuine concern, he has always relied, to a degree, on his pace, without that he will never be the player he was. Lack of confidence can't be blamed for the fact that he doesn't seem to be able to leave defenders in his wake like the way he used to.

Time will tell, I still think he has a lot to offer, though he may have to adjust his game to adapt. He's an incredible natural finisher, and pace or no pace he can find the net from anywhere inside the box. His strength and ariel ability won't disappear any time soon either.

To be honest, I'm really not expecting to see the best of him until next season. I'm sure he'll chip in between now and May but right now he just looks out of place.

Lets not forget, Torres was unquestionably the top dog forward for Liverpool in his 3.5 seasons there (Ngog and Jovanovic were hardly serious challengers), and he probably has yet to adjust to the fact that he has to play alongside two strong personalities in Anelka and Drogba.

Will be interesting to see if he can handle it in the long run!

Funny how he was able to handle Villa, Xavi, Iniesta etc. when starring for Spain in Euro 2008.

Himself, just like Rooney are just going through a rough patch atm. It happens to most players at some point in their career.

They will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Funny how he was able to handle Villa, Xavi, Iniesta etc. when starring for Spain in Euro 2008.

Himself, just like Rooney are just going through a rough patch atm. It happens to most players at some point in their career.

They will be back.

Thought he had an average Euro 08 tbh despite netting in the final!

Villa has started to overshadow him internationally too.

Can't pretend this is not something of a concern - and given the enormous fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

At all the people saying Torres is finished after not scoring yet and been in top form, that was to be expected, he wasnt in top form joinging and I honestly expected it to take him until the start of next season to re-discover it after a good pre-season and break. But now, as been said we have the feintest of chances in the league it could all change and he might be rested.

Few thing son the game last night, the pitch didnt help either side and was one of the worse I've seen since we played at a "beach" at Stamford Bridge a few seasons back.

The defence we're a bit shaky but JT's leadership pulled us through it, he really is in with a shout of been our player of the year,on a side note WTF was Bosingwa doing for the goal and a few minutes later when Ormerod had a shot, he totally switched off.

Lamps looked good when Drogs went off and found space and helped Kalou and Torres.

I said yesterday, I'd take a scrapy 3 points and Im more then happy with them this morning.

Another must win game on Sunday to push us above City and with a game in hand, that will put us on the way to a top 4 finish but we have lost the last 3 EPL games too them,going to be tough again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement