Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11 (mod warning in post #7124)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Fuhrer wrote: »
    In comparison to Stamford Bridge, you consider Old Trafford a dump?

In that case, ive got this old shed out the back for rent, should be like the ritz to you.

I apologise if that offended you, it was an outburst in anger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Onto Wigan on Saturday anyway, hopefully Torres will get his first goal then.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Just popping in to say good game tonight. Genuinely good football match. Thought united deserved the win, took the chance when it came along and were pretty comfortable throughout, barring a minute at the end of the first half and towards the end of the second half when chelsea went with 3 in the middle and Ramieres inside. Looked a far more dangerous team, were Drogba still on the park it would have been tougher.

All in all we'll see what happens in 6 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Very nice gallery celebrating Lampard's 500 games milestone up on the official website. Can't link the actual vid, heres the link to the page its on.
    link
    G'wan Frankie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Torres will come good lads. He's going through a bad patch but the lad is Top class. He wont admit it but the lack of goals will bother him, as it would with any striker. He'll bang in a few and he'll be back no doubt.

Chelsea are well capable of beating Utd by 2 goals. It wont be easy obviously but you'd be crazy to write them off at HT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Where to start?? First of all we we're ****e. It was a very similar game to the game 2/3weeks back where Utd did enough without having to go and play too well only this time they got the result they wanted.

Ref was bad for both sides, Essien should have been booked for us, Zhirkov gets booked for a high leg/dangerous play on Rafa but 15/20 mins later Rio on Torres similar incident is no yellow :confused: stone wall penalty turned down with a ref and assistant behind the goal on that side........WTF is the point of them i they arent going too make decisions.

Bos was poor, he beat Evra who was poor a few times and he cost us the goal. Lamps was a by-stander and should have done better with his effort cleared off the line. Torres played better then Drogba but Drogs should have stayed on. Why was Anelka playing CM at times when we we're 1 down at home and brought on to play up front. Why was Mikel brought on at all?

We have a simple enugh task of winning at OT, we've done it before.

We have to go 4-3-3 against them at OT with Kalou, Drogba, Torres playing, plenty of pace and power in that front 3 even if that isnt the front 3 we got to play 3 up there.

Its not over, not by a long shot but its going to be tough. Got to hand it to Rooney, hes a c**t of a man but had a fine game and ran the show for Utd.

It will be a very tough ask but not impossible, we are definitely capable of winning at Old Trafford. I think United will score though so we will need at least a couple of goals.

Something I only found out there today when buying tickets the Chelsea website accepts Irish laser cards. Just click Maestro.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Someone said it's only 1-0 .... it's not only 1-0 - it's an away goal, a home loss and a pretty much impossible task to overcome, look at the stats - I think Inter this year were the 1st team to overturn a home defeat in the 1st leg in 16 years !!

Man Utd have never lost a European tie after winning the 1st leg - the stats are against us and stats will always come right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

jcf wrote: »
    Someone said it's only 1-0 .... it's not only 1-0 - it's an away goal, a home loss and a pretty much impossible task to overcome, look at the stats - I think Inter this year were the 1st team to overturn a home defeat in the 1st leg in 16 years !!

Man Utd have never lost a European tie after winning the 1st leg - the stats are against us and stats will always come right.

All you need to do is to beat them 1 - 0 and then it will be all down to penalties ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

greendom wrote: »
    All you need to do is to beat them 1 - 0 and then it will be all down to penalties ;)
    ..... and we all know our success rate with those :(

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

The only stat that matters is the result. The tie is very much alive, sure didn't Chelsea beat United 2-1 at OT last season. United have have the advantage, which I'm delighted about, but an early goal for you's lads and definitely advantage Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I cant believe all this negative crap!
    Its just 1-0, and so what if Man U havent lost, well we hadnt been beaten in 9 years by them!
    Records are there to be broken. We've lost our long Premier home record , our Euro Home tie record but still went on to be champions last season with an aging squad.
    Yes it hurts, but come on. We are rebuilding, Roman still loves us and Man U would love to have that sort of backer. Be very interesting watch their finances or lack of them next year.
    Its still entirely possible to go to OT and win. In fact, we could draw 2-2 overall and go though.
    Carlo needs to switch back to 4-3-3 and play HIS team.

Believe in your team, cos victory will be that much more sweeter if we do win!

C'mon the Blues!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

These records are there to be broken though.

Remember we hadn't won at SB in 10 years before last night.

Of course we will be strong favourites to progress but always seem to make things harder for ourselves so I'd say there will be a few twists and turns left yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Number Nine

Neymar scores beautiful goal and it is removed of field by cause mask (Santos 3-2 Colo-Colo)

I just got to say even if it had finished 1-1 last night we would still have to go to OT and get a victory. As it stands we are 1-0 down and we still have to go to OT and get a victory to either draw or progress, no mean feat but we have the palyers and coach to do it, equally Utd have the same combination to shut us out or put us to the sword at OT.

Its going to be some 2nd leg. Winner of this game has a great chance of making the Final as Schalke looked to have all but progressed against Inter.

I see Conor Clifford has left Notts County ... not getting playing time. Presume they'll look to send him out again. Notts county chatpage felt he should have got more playing time.

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/nottscounty/nottsnews/Loan-player-leaves-Notts/article-3423588-detail/article.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Rite, lets put behind the disappointment of Last night and get looking forward to the weekend and Tuesday in particular.

Would any one be interested in a group of us heading out to watch the game in Dublin (apologies to those of us who live outside the pale , im actually in Kildare myself)

Its seems to always be the case when ever , where ever (Bar Stamford Bridge ) you go to watch a Chelsea game there is always a shed load of opposition fans.

Il never forget the night we beat Liverpool in that thriller , I got abused all night in Sinotts by a girl no less for being a Chelsea fan, Most were ok but this one had a real grievance. It said on the door capacity 850 and it was full to the rafters and I could only see 2 Chelsea tops , mine being one of them.

Any way back on point , would any one be up for it ?

Alex back in full training, brilliant news hopefully he will be fit enough to get some game time on Saturday because we need him for Tuesday, Bosingwa just cannot defend at all and was at fault for the goal, Bosingwa could actually make a decent right winger I'd say. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I see Conor Clifford has left Notts County ... not getting playing time. Presume they'll look to send him out again. Notts county chatpage felt he should have got more playing time.

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/nottscounty/nottsnews/Loan-player-leaves-Notts/article-3423588-detail/article.html
    I don't think they can send him out.
    Deadline has passed AFAIK

• Advertisement

Clifford was told he would definitely start this weekend, don't see why he didn't stay for it. I'm sure he knows this but he can't just go there expecting to start he has to earn the right, obviously I don't know whats been going on there but it seems he definitely would have started this weekend because of a suspension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Its not really working out as well as was hoped for All these kids ye have been hyping up the last few years is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

flahavaj wrote: »
    Its not really working out as well as was hoped for All these kids ye have been hyping up the last few years is it?
    Isn't that why Arnesen is on the move?

I wouldn't say that,

Kakuta has been disappointing so far.

Clifford had a great loan spell at Plymouth only for them to go into administration, haven't really followed him at Notts County but it would seem it hasn't went well.

We let Stoch go to early imo.

Borini is showing his class at Swansea, we are going to regret letting him go if it happens.

Sturridge is going to be a great player for us.

Van Aanholt and Bruma are doing well at Leicester.

Mancienne won't make it with us, Cork is a decent player but again won't make it with Chelsea.

Gokhan Tore is one to look out for, tearing it up in the reserves this year and was part of the youth cup winning team last year.

Then we have a lot of quality in the Youth team and that's been proved by winning the youth cup last year and getting to the semi's so far this year.

McEachran, Billy Clifford and Nathaniel Chalobah are the real stand out players in the youth team that have the best chance of making it and I would be surprised if they didn't with Chelsea.

A couple of disappointments so far but the future is bright at Chelsea.

Is Sturridge going to get a look in at all though, with Torres, Anelka, Drogba and Kalou ahead of him? Or any young player when the owner seems determined to throw money around so freely? When veterans and club legends like Drogba suffer because of the owner's whims, what hope has a young fella?

Your record of giving youth its head is non-existent really. Who's the last player to come through, Terry?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Drogba go in the summer, either way Drogba and Anelka don't have much longer left. Kalou could possibly be sold as well, Sturridge will get his chance, the loan spell at Bolton has done him the world of good and there is no way he can be overlooked when he comes back. I'm pretty sure he will get his chance.

You just have to look at McEachran this year, he was 17 when he got a chance in the first team. If the players are good enough they will be picked. Our youth and reserve set up have improved though in recent years, getting to the youth cup final in 08, winning it last year, semis so far this year and we are second in the reserve league 4 points behind Arsenal with 4 games in hand( not that the reserve league means much) The crop before that just haven't been good enough but with the success of the youth and reserve teams now I think we will bring more players through. Although I do agree some haven't been given a chance that I felt could have made an impact like Stoch for example. The situation with Borini is depressing as well.

Johner wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Drogba go in the summer, either way Drogba and Anelka don't have much longer left. Kalou could possibly be sold as well, Sturridge will get his chance, the loan spell at Bolton has done him the world of good and there is no way he can be overlooked when he comes back. I'm pretty sure he will get his chance.

You just have to look at McEachran this year, he was 17 when he got a chance in the first team. If the players are good enough they will be picked. Our youth and reserve set up have improved though in recent years, getting to the youth cup final in 08, winning it last year, semis so far this year and we are second in the reserve league 4 points behind Arsenal with 4 games in hand( not that the reserve league means much) The crop before that just haven't been good enough but with the success of the youth and reserve teams now I think we will bring more players through.

Mceachrah doesn't get halrf as much gametime as ye would like though? And ye'll probably buy a playmaker in the Summer that'll block his route further to the team. The set-up and mentality of the club just isn't in place to encourage youth like it is at say Arsenal or Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Drogba and Anelka are both eaching the end of their careers so yes I feel Sturridge should get a decent chance at making it at Chelsea. Of course, with RA in charge, since Sturridge (who i think is gonna be great) isnt already a big star name, he will probably have to do something very special to catch the eye

Mceachrah doesn't get halrf as much gametime as ye would like though? And ye'll probably buy a playmaker in the Summer that'll block his route further to the team. The set-up and mentality of the club just isn't in place to encourage youth like it is at say Arsenal or Utd.

He's only turned 18 in fairness and this season has been a mess for us. He's still playing in the youth cup. Everybody at the club knows what a player he is and I expect him to be even more involved in the first team next year.

• Advertisement

amiable wrote: »
    I don't think they can send him out.
    Deadline has passed AFAIK

Yes ... you're right. Who knows.... if top 4 is secured and we progress in the CL then maybe he's been promised some firts team action. In anycase from reading the forums for notts county, they blamed Ince for not giving more opportunities to him, so maybe not a happy ship (even now Ince is gone).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Should Utd. knock Chelsea out of Europe will Abramovich give up on his dream at the club?
    Chelsea fans should be worried as Ambramovich has bankrolled nearly £740 million in loans,what would happen if he decides to walk away at the end of the season?

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...ichs-empire.do

zerks wrote: »
    Should Utd. knock Chelsea out of Europe will Abramovich give up on his dream at the club?
    Chelsea fans should be worried as Ambramovich has bankrolled nearly £740 million in loans,what would happen if he decides to walk away at the end of the season?

Will he leave, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

zerks wrote: »

sick to death of this crap, what makes you think he would leave?? he's just invested the bones of 70million in Jan to show his commitment to the team!!

id be more worried if I was Arsenal or Utd of what happens when Wenger is eventually fired for not winning anything or when Fergie eventually retires*!!

we dont have the same youth structure and havent brought players through, we only established a structure when abramovich took over, 4-5 years on and were seeing the first of these players getting first team starts (mceachran/bruma/vananholt/kakuta), this will continue for the years to come now with various players knocking on the first team door, only some of them will be good enough to displace an established international, the rest wont.

point is, were years behind the rest in terms of getting setup right, judge us after another 5 years!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

alex is on the bench for wigan game,might he be ready for the united game? put ivan out in fullback and bosingwa on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Towards the end of every season where Chelsea don't do as well as expected it's always the same auld sh*te about is Abramovich losing interest? Honestly, his activity at the club in the last 6 months alone, has he shown any signs of losing interest? Boring tbh.

• Advertisement

This is more worrying

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9450671.stm

Interesting no mention of Barça here ? Barça are 400m in the red, Chelsea 50m
    and UEFA say "Ban Chelsea" ?

Proof that Barça are UEFA's little golden boys.

LanceStorm wrote: »
    sick to death of this crap, what makes you think he would leave?? he's just invested the bones of 70million in Jan to show his commitment to the team!!

id be more worried if I was Arsenal or Utd of what happens when Wenger is eventually fired for not winning anything or when Fergie, please god, dies!!

we dont have the same youth structure and havent brought players through, we only established a structure when abramovich took over, 4-5 years on and were seeing the first of these players getting first team starts (mceachran/bruma/vananholt/kakuta), this will continue for the years to come now with various players knocking on the first team door, only some of them will be good enough to displace an established international, the rest wont.

point is, were years behind the rest in terms of getting setup right, judge us after another 5 years!!

alex_ferguson_1382654c.jpg

By the time the UEFA ffp comes around we should be ok. I've posted on this in the past though, what are the chances of any of Europes big teams getting " left off " by UEFA for not meetingthe initial deadline. If ourselves, Barca, Real, Inter, AC, Man Utd fail too meet the deadlines what will UEFA do? I cant see them taking much action TBH.

But in saying that it is better for all clubs to come in line with the new measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

gavredking wrote: »
    By the time the UEFA ffp comes around we should be ok. I've posted on this in the past though, what are the chances of any of Europes big teams getting " left off " by UEFA for not meetingthe initial deadline. If ourselves, Barca, Real, Inter, AC, Man Utd fail too meet the deadlines what will UEFA do? I cant see them taking much action TBH.

But in saying that it is better for all clubs to come in line with the new measures.

In a couple of years when they come round you might be ok but thats if you dont spend anything.

Lampards 32 will have to be replaced
    Cole is 30, a replacement will be needed for him a few years after
    Drogbas 33
    Malouda 30
    Terry 30
    Anelka 32

Thats a pretty large core of the main team that will need replacements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Praying to God that Sir Alex Ferguson dies?Stay classy LanceStorm.

• Advertisement

In a couple of years when they come round you might be ok but thats if you dont spend anything.

Drogbas 33
    Malouda 30
    Terry 30
    Anelka 32

Van Aanholt and Bruma will hopefully replace Cole and Terry in time.

McEachran in midfield.

Sturridge up front.

These players are impressing on loan or in McEachrans case he's involved with the first team. We have plenty of talent coming through now as well.

Drogbas 33
    Malouda 30
    Terry 30
    Anelka 32

Lampards 32 will have to be replaced ( Josh to replace him )
    Cole is 30, a replacement will be needed for him a few years after ( Van Aanholt showing great promise )
    Drogbas 33 ( Torres at the moment, maybe Lukaku )
    Malouda 30 ( Sturridge/Kakuta )
    Terry 30 ( Luiz/Bruma )
    Anelka 32 ( Kalou at the moment is a stop gap )

You can see where I'm coming from, with the new ffp coming in all the teams will have to develop young guys coming in and even thoughwe will lose key, big players in the next 1-5 years we have back up cooming in that have to be tested.

I agree though, it is a transisation period at the moment for Chelsea and this current team wont be around together for much longer.

Johner wrote: »
    Van Aanholt and Bruma will hopefully replace Cole and Terry in time.

McEachran in midfield.

Sturridge up front.

These players are impressing on loan or in McEachrans case he's involved with the first team. We have plenty of talent coming through now as well.

Jinx :o :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

or when Fergie, please god, dies!!
    !

Thats a bit much tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Fergie, please god, dies!!

!

are you mentally retarded?

gavredking wrote: »

No doubt Barca the golden team will be let off - not to condident about the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

Anyone hear the rumour that Chelsea are switching to a synthetic pitch during the summer?

Anyone hear the rumour that Chelsea are switching to a synthetic pitch during the summer?

I'm pretty sure their use is banned by the FA.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

I'm pretty sure their use is banned by the FA.

Apparently UEFA are interested in the matter again and will approve if they meet a certain criteria.

Apparently UEFA are interested in the matter again and will approve if they meet a certain criteria.

The FA and UEFA are two separate identities and UEFA can't overrule the FA over matters such as this AFAIK.

I can't see it happening tbh.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement