Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11 (mod warning in post #7124)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

yes

Happily continue the tradition aswell!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

papagormo wrote: »
    Happily continue the tradition aswell!

you won't be alone in that thought;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I would go with kalou instead of anelka, nic is out of form and kalou seems to be finally scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

MUSEIST wrote: »
    I would go with kalou instead of anelka, nic is out of form and kalou seems to be finally scoring.

I'd start Nico and bring on Kalou depending on how he plays first half personally, leave Torres on the bench throughout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Shock tactics would be playing Torres as a lone striker in 4-3-3
    Malouda and Yossi on the wings
    Anelka and Drogba on the bench - imagine the sulking and the sullen looks!

So crazy, it might just work

I dont think Carlo has tried Torres as lone striker?

God, I hope we wipe the smug Man U faces off

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

He played up top against United on his own, and we all saw how that worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

So crazy, it might just work

I dont think Carlo has tried Torres as lone striker?

God, I hope we wipe the smug Man U faces off
    I wouldn't agree with that.

I'd go with Drogba. I think he has fire in his belly

Sounds rather like a Plan B tactic, it would be very unexpected alright, but I honestly can't see it happening. Drogba will only love this type of game, I can see him unleashing some cracking shots from outside the box. (hopefully one or two of them crashes in!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

• Advertisement

Essien has said he will stay at Chelsea for the next 3 seasons.

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Only 18 for Essien?
    How much is he worth?

amiable wrote: »
    How much is he worth?

He cost 25 million

He should have at least his value, he is only 28.

Gah, I dont know.

Fuhrer wrote: »
    He cost 25 million

He should have at least his value, he is only 28.

Gah, I dont know.
    Fair enough.

But say Chelsea sold him for 25 mill, at 28 his value would at least halve in 2 years?
    This time next year 18 mill would seem like alot of money for him to me.

IMHO 18/20 mill now would seem a very fair price at the moment IF chelsea want to do business

Metro is reporting a 25mill fee

AC Milan seem to be not afraid to buy older players.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

amiable wrote: »
    Metro is reporting a 25mill fee

AC Milan seem to be not afraid to buy older players.

Not a sniff, Real were offering 40m last season and he signed a new contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭superfrank

Heres a blog from the Man himself. He admits he went through a rough patch & is finding his feat again. He's some player & hope we keep him as long as possible!
    Hello everyone,

It is my last blog of the season and what an eventful campaign it has been. It has been a sweet and sour season and to use a sandwich analogy – sweet bread at the top, sour filling and more sweet bread at the bottom. To expand further, we started the season extremely well, had a sour middle part and are now ending strongly.

We have hit a good run of form lately and have managed to haul ourselves back into the title race. We have to beat Manchester United at Old Trafford this weekend to ensure we are in the driving seat and I can assure you we are up for it. The team is playing well and I have no doubt we will give it everything we have to beat Man United.

We need all the support we can get from you, the fans, and I have no doubt you will be there for us when we need you most.

At the moment all I am concentrating on is winning games for Chelsea, however as the season is coming to an end I have been looking at my overall performance and I think it is fair to say it has been a mixed season for me.

It started very well for me and as the team kept winning my form just got better. But then suddenly my fine form became average for whatever reason.

After my red card against Fulham, I picked up a slight toe injury and struggled to show the good form and performances I had shown at the start of the season. It wasn’t for lack of trying as anyone who knows me will testify, but our beautiful game can do that to even the most experienced players. The team was struggling for form and we were all trying but it just wasn’t coming off.

I was asked by friends many times what I felt the problem was and I couldn’t explain. All I can say is when you hit a bad patch, you think about everything too much. The simplest pass becomes a difficult task because you spend time thinking rather than just letting things flow. When you are on form you receive a pass and just let it go but when you are down you think too much and lose possession. I am glad to say after many weeks working hard on the training pitch it suddenly clicked and now we are in with a chance. Maybe it’s a confidence thing – who knows?

My season has been a sandwich one too and I am hoping the end will be extremely good and when we are back next season I can carry on the good end of season form

Finally, after I have given everything to help Chelsea win the last three games of the Barclays Premier League, I will be taking some of my friends to Accra to play a Peace Game between a select African 11 side and a World 11 side. This is as part of my role as African Union Peace Ambassador.

The game itself will be on May 25 and greats like George Weah, Abedi Pele, Jay Jay Okocha, Kalusha Bwalya and Tony Baffoe will be there.

Ashley Cole, Florent Malouda, Didier Drogba, Salomon Kalou and Branislav Ivanovic are all coming with me from Chelsea. We are still getting more confirmations as I write and we have spoken to Paolo Maldini and many other great players. We just want to raise awareness about Peace and hopefully we can generate funds for African Union projects.

The month of May will be a busy one in the Premier League and in Africa, and I hope you all support us one way or another to bring the good times back.

Ess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

MUSEIST wrote: »
    The problem is that they will be terrified not to upset auld fergie or the utd home fans, I can see big decisions being bottled tbh.

Like yer goals thats shouldnt have been against spurs?

• Advertisement

Chelsea FC ruined Michael Essien
    How do you make that out?

That's quite a sweeping statement.

Care to back it up?

I'd ignore that as every post I've seen him making about us has been critical, like I hate Man U (who he supports) but you don't see me going into their thread and having a go at everything they say.

Bertser wrote: »
    I'd ignore that as every post I've seen him making about us has been critical, like I hate Man U (who he supports) but you don't see me going into their thread and having a go at everything they say.
    I'm not even a Chelsea fan.
    I like to call it like i see it and i've been accused of being a troll in here in the past.

But IMHO a statement of Chelsea ruining Essien is bull

As well as his post at the top of this page, fans need to start accepting that the officials can't always get decisions right, and him being a Man U fan should of all people know this.

hey leave Amiable alone, he's the only stalker we have left after Berba left/got banned !

hey leave Amiable alone, he's the only stalker we have left after Berba left/got banned !
    Nobody at me Sgt;)

Hardly fair to compare me to Berba?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭superfrank

Chelsea FC ruined Michael Essien

I agree with this statement....They also ruined John Terry, Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole, Petr Cech, Drogba...They ruined everybody!! EVIL CHELSEA:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

superfrank wrote: »
    I agree with this statement....They also ruined John Terry, Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole, Petr Cech, Drogba...They ruined everybody!! EVIL CHELSEA:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Didnt Essien get injured on international duty? :)

I do wonder about Mikel though, when we pinched him off Man U he was touted as an attacking midfielder, and the Special One turned him into a defensive midfielder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Didnt Essien get injured on international duty? :)

I do wonder about Mikel though, when we pinched him off Man U he was touted as an attacking midfielder, and the Special One turned him into a defensive midfielder

well he must of done some job cause anytime i see him take a shot a pidgeon dies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

racso1975 wrote: »
    well he must of done some job cause anytime i see him take a shot a pidgeon dies!

In fairness, he's probably miss the pigeon as well.

Bertser wrote: »

The ignore button was made for people like him.

• Advertisement

Essien wrote: »
    In fairness, he's probably miss the pigeon as well.
    So are you going to AC Milan?

Essien was a far better player at Lyon, he scored alot more goals and a bit more freedom at chelsea he has been handcuffed, he has been played in a more defensive system then his talents deserve, when I first seen him at Lyon I thought he would be the perfect replacement for Keane alas ye got him and overbore him with defensive responsibilites, now he will never be considered as good Keane or Viera

Essien was a far better player at Lyon, he scored alot more goals and a bit more freedom at chelsea he has been handcuffed, he has been played in a more defensive system then his talents deserve, when I first seen him at Lyon I thought he would be the perfect replacement for Keane alas ye got him and overbore him with defensive responsibilites, now he will never be considered as good Keane or Viera
    He scored 8 goals in 71 apps at Lyon

He's scored 17 goals in 146 apps for Chelsea.

Not much of a difference there but when you consider the English Premier league is a much better league his Chelsea record reads alot better.
    Couple that with the fact he was in a Lyon team that was dominating a league it reads even better again that his record at Chelsea is better imo

Why do you care anyway? You have Michael Carrick, Anderson and.... Gibson :D

Essien's energy and all round physical ability are far better suited to defensive duties. We didn't need a player who was 50% Makelele and 50% Lampard, we wanted an energetic, powerful player who could disrupt the opposition, that's what we have.
    For a while there Essien was considered (even on this forum) to be one of if not the best player in his position in the world. Had it not been for injuries I think he would still be held in that regard.
    I will concede that he has been largely rubbish this season, though I do think that's down to the pressure of sharing his name with such a highly respected and admired internet poster since last year.:)

Essien (the boards poster, not the other lad) you are on fire this morning, I've giggled to myself more than once while reading the last page or so.
    Kudos!:)

Essien (the boards poster, not the other lad) you are on fire this morning, I've giggled to myself more than once while reading the last page or so.
    Kudos!:)

Lets hope your namesake is on fire on Sunday and has got his shooting boots on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpaPT4Ol2R4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I've never used the ignore button before as I think it's a bit childish but jesus shadowcomplex is probably the worst poster I've come across on this forum, at least BERBA was funny.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6914130,00.html

Midfielder Michael Essien has no intention of joining AC Milan and is committed to Chelsea, according to his agent.
    The Ghana international, who arrived at Stamford Bridge from Lyonspacer.gif in 2005, has recently been linked with a summer move to the Serie A giants.
    But his representative Fabien Piveteau has shrugged off such reports, insisting 28-year-old Essien wants to ply his trade in West London for at least another three years.
    "Nothing is true," Piveteau told tuttomercatoweb.
    "I have not had any contact either with AC Milanspacer.gif or any other clubs, because everyone knows that Chelseaspacer.gif is happy with the player and Michael is happy at Chelsea.
    "He is well in London and intends to stay there for the next three years."
    Essien has been a key performer for the Bluesspacer.gif this season after seeing last year's campaign disrupted by injury.
    The midfielder penned a two-year extension on his existing deal last summer to keep him at Stamford Bridge until 2015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Johner wrote: »
    I've never used the ignore button before as I think it's a bit childish but jesus shadowcomplex is probably the worst poster I've come across on this forum, at least BERBA was funny.

As a Unted fan, he frequently embarrasses me.

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    As a Unted fan, he frequently embarrasses me.

We all have them. I wonder where did jackdaw ever go btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Essien wrote: »
    We all have them. I wonder where did jackdaw ever go btw?

Who was he again?

flahavaj wrote: »
    Who was he again?

Used to post here quite a bit. Insanely pessimistic character, was often convinced we were going to be relegated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Carlo won Barclay's Manager of the Month for the second month in a row :)

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2353746,00.html

Michael Essien has likened Chelsea's season to a sandwich, vowing the sweetest part is yet to come as they chase Premier League title glory.

I shít you not. Full story here.
    G'wan Essien!

abelard wrote: »
    Carlo won Barclay's Manager of the Month for the second month in a row :)

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2353746,00.html

God no - That things cursed - see our draw at Stoke!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

Shay Given in goal for Man City reserves v Chelsea (on CTV now). Also son of Mancini playing midfield. Good strong Chelsea line up, Bertrand, Conor Clifford, tore, Philips, and Josh.
    Mind you - Michael Woods is also playing!!

Any streams?

I shít you not. Full story here.
    G'wan Essien!

What way does he eat sandwiches?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

Good link here apparently - I'm on CTV

http://veetle.com/index.php/channel/view#4dc23d85b187b

They're better than us at the moment:(