Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11 (mod warning in post #7124)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Guus Hiddink interview coming up shortly on SSN

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Sure Van Basten being the bookies favorite is the biggest joke of all imo.
    If you think its such a joke go and Lay it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Pretty sure its Guuds, just said on SSN that he's like to get back into daily management but for moment he's concentrating on Turkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

smuckers wrote: »
    Pretty sure its Guuds, just said on SSN that he's like to get back into daily management but for moment he's concentrating on Turkey.

Very clever man, knows exactly what to say without upsetting anybody.
    Of course, if he loses the Turkey game he could be sacked.
    Would he actually take the risk of being directly in the firing line at Chelsea I wonder?
    I know he won us a cup, but does he have a "plan b", is he good at tactics? Would he chance a few youngsters?
    He didnt seem to change much when he was caretaker - same formation, same tactics - he "just" seemed to bring good man management and belief

Interesting with Carlo, he reportedly negotiated a lower pay off to have the option to go straight back into English management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Would he actually take the risk of being directly in the firing line at Chelsea I wonder?
    I know he won us a cup, but does he have a "plan b", is he good at tactics? Would he chance a few youngsters?
    He didnt seem to change much when he was caretaker - same formation, same tactics - he "just" seemed to bring good man management and belief

Interesting with Carlo, he reportedly negotiated a lower pay off to have the option to go straight back into English management.

really?

that is interesting, maybe he was serious about West Ham...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

It is the day of the big game in Ghana, and all involved have spoken of their excitement.

A late morning press conference ahead of Michael Essien's Peace Match in aid of the African Union drew journalists from across Africa, eager to see who had made the trip to Accra for this afternoon's game, which is being screened live across the continent.

Essien has called on friends from both his past and present to help him put the game on, and from a Chelsea interest there is Ashley Cole, who captains the Rest of the World XI, Florent Malouda, Didier Drogba and Salomon Kalou, but also former Academy prospects, Portuguese winger Fabio Ferreira and German goalkeeper Nick Hamann.

Moving away from Stamford Bridge there are major Premier League names, Nigel De Jong and Emmanuel Adebayor from Manchester City, John Pantsil from Fulham and from further afield Freddie Ljungberg, now with Celtic in Scotland and Ghana international Samuel Inkoom, as well as Chelsea legends from the past in Marcel Desailly and George Weah, who coaches the African XI.

'I want to thank Michael for making me part of this prestigious event,' said Weah, the only African to have been named World Footballer of the Year. 'Africa has suffered a lot and we need peace. Peace should not only come from sports men and women. It also comes from politicians, and they must help us for this.

'Today we can see the difference, players are in uniforms and the coach is in a suit, so it tells you I will not be playing today. There will be a lot of people out there today who want to see these players they see on the television.

'It is going to be a serious game, and I want to beat Europe. Excuse me Europe, but we are going to beat you!'

Every single player spoke publicly, including Cole who has been touched by the warm reception the travelling party has received.

'We hope today's game will show everyone can be together,' the defender said. 'Everyone is so friendly and happy, this is what we want to see. This is why we are here today; everyone will have a good time and have a smile on their face.'

'Thank you to Michael for inviting me, and making me part of his squad,' Drogba added. 'This is something very important for Africa, for the world, and as the ambassador for peace, when he asked us to come we all wanted to.'

Kalou too lent his support, saying: 'I'm honoured to be here and support Michael, and I'm scared to fly!

'I hope it will be a great game, it is an honour for me to be here, Ghana is like my second home. We had a very good welcome and this afternoon will be a great game, we're going to have fun.'

There was also vocal support from Ljungberg, who explained his presence.

'I am great friends with Michael, my work with Africa started last year in America I went to South Africa to the shanty towns and with my own eyes I could see [the problems],' the former Arsenal player said. 'From that time on I said I would try to do my best in helping. It is hard as an individual to do big things, but when Michael said this I said I would be here and help as much as I can.'

City stars De Jong and Adebayor also had their say.

'The passion here is unbelievable,' said Dutchman De Jong. 'We're not going to make peace in one game but it's a big step forward for a lot of people in Africa. For me it's the passion I have for Africa that made me want to come here.'

'Michael is doing a great job and we all support him,' Adebayor said. 'Africa has been through a lot. We are here to promote peace. It will not be easy but we have to try our best and see how we can help. It is good to be here and hopefully you will all enjoy the game this afternoon.'

The official Chelsea website will be there to report on this afternoon's match, and we will be hearing from some of the players after the game to share their experiences of the occasion, which takes place on Africa Day, a public holiday which celebrates the formation of the African Union in 1963. There are now 53 countries part of the community.
    Source
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

We played with a 4-2-3-1 under guus a few years back but I thought he was excellent tactically. I remember us going to anfield and winning 3-1 with 2 goals from brana, excellent performance and then he got it spot on against barca, solid in the first leg and we really went at them in the second at the bridge and we all know we were screwed over by the ref. I really like guus and he seems to always have a tactical plan to get the best out of a team. I hope he is our next manager.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Guus would definitely be my choice. I just don't see anyone else available to do the job.

I really don't like the idea of Van Basten, even with Hiddink as Dof. I don't really fancy the idea of Villas Boas either. Although he has proven himself as a very good manager, I think it would be a huge risk to take on someone that young and he may struggle with certain senior players.

We were very solid under Guus and played some good football, although as we have seen the squad has seriously deteriorated since he was last in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Me too, but the rumour mill has us tabling a bid for Thibaut Courtois?!

Dont know much about the youngster except from what my scouts in Football Manager said :P

On the next manager, their is 3 people I'd like to get it, Hiddink, Van Gaal, Mourihno. They would be my choice and I'm pretty sure they would all bring success.

The Bruma incident is a bit weird, but with 2 years on loan it might help the lad as he has so long to improve. I rememebr when we signed Alex and he was left in Holland to get a work permit but I think he stayed on an extar year at PSV to just generally improve, hopefully Bruma can do the same and come back and slot in as JT in 2 years will be coming towards the latter stages of his playing days.

• Advertisement

The aim for that season was to finish in top 4, he more or less picked the same team week in week out.

smuckers wrote: »
    The aim for that season was to finish in top 4, he more or less picked the same team week in week out.

The problem with picking the same team is, at the moment there is a lot of questions surronding what is our best team and formation. There is calls to go to a 4-4-2 diamond, a 4-3-3 with wingers, like Mourihnos first year, or a 4-3-3 like Carlo with the 2 support strikers playing off a main central striker, even Carlo tried the more conventional 4-4-2 towards the end.

We need a system and to stick to it but to have a back up plan, only thing is we dont know what players we will have at the start of the season so its perfect for a new guy to come in and try something new. As mentioned, Hiddink favoured a 4-2-3-1 if he got the job and we went with that I can imagine our team ( without signings ) to be like :

Cech

Luiz
    Alex
    Terry
    Cole

Essien
    Ramires

Kalou
    Lampard
    Malouda

Torres

My personal choice however would be to drop Lampard in with Essien and play, if we got him, Neymar in behind Torres, also if we got Sanchez that would push Kalou out of the team.

All if's and but's at the moment though. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

Is it true Chesea are letting Sturridge go ? if thats true its got to be one of the worst ideas ever. fantastic player with a great future ahead if him..

Is anyone else concerned that harry is joint favourite with some bookies, very very disturbing news indeed.

almanu wrote: »
    Is it true Chesea are letting Sturridge go ? if thats true its got to be one of the worst ideas ever. fantastic player with a great future ahead if him..

Where did you hear that????

Haven't heard anything anywhere about that TBH. I dont think we will be letting him go at all. With Anelka and Drogba both towards the end of their careers, Danny can and will step up and replace them, more so Anelka IMO. If he is left go, it could be an indication that we are dipping into the market for a striker and that could spell the end of not just his time atthe club but the end for Anelka/Drogba/Kalou
    MUSEIST wrote: »
    Is anyone else concerned that harry is joint favourite with some bookies, very very disturbing news indeed.

Im slightly concerned, but I dont think Roman would go for him, imagine giving Harry that kind of spending power? Madness I tells ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭superfrank

I can't see Sturridge going because A) How well he done while on loan & B) Chelsea need to keep as much English in the side to suit the premier league squad rules!!

I Imagine Gus will take over giving he has being advising the chelsea board, knows the team & more than likely had an influence on who we signed!

Its officially silly season now and all sorts of crap is going to written about us.
    We've already been linked with over 50 players and at least 10 managers.
    They even have Carlo lined up as the next QPR manager!

(I'm so old I can remember when QPR were last in the "first" division!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Sol Campbell twitter
    Seems like Redknapp has gone, good luck at Chelsea Harry you deserve all the success in the world.

Thats a fake Sol C.

Des wrote: »
    Sol Campbell twitter

I really hope thats a fake, dont tink any player would say something like that though.

• Advertisement

gavredking wrote: »
    I really hope thats a fake, dont tink any player would say something like that though.

See my post about silly season!

See my post about silly season!

Let me add to the silly and suggest we bring in Jamie Redknapp to help his dad as a coach, at least moral will be good among the squad, he'll have all the players beliving their " top players "

We should sign Peter Crouch, Redknapp seems to love him, we could also spend 40 Million on Bale, with 4million going to agents, 4million going to Harry just coz hes a wheel dealer and bought us the bargain of the century coz Bale is the bestest player inthe world ever......LOLZ.

Let me add to the silly and suggest we bring in Jamie Redknapp to help his dad as a coach, at least moral will be good among the squad, he'll have all the players beliving their " top players "

We should sign Peter Crouch, Redknapp seems to love him, we could also spend 40 Million on Bale, with 4million going to agents, 4million going to Harry just coz hes a wheel dealer and bought us the bargain of the century coz Bale is the bestest player inthe world ever......LOLZ.

thats so funny (and yet scary and weird enough to happen! :eek:)

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/05/26/2504429/bookies-slash-odds-on-harry-redknapp-to-become-next-chelsea

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Chelsea finished top of the fair play league.

If it does come true I'll shoot myself for even joking about it, surely even Big Boss isnt that mental to go for Harry??

Hopefully. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Redknapp won't happen.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Chelsea finished top of the fair play league.

Well at least we finished top of something:pac:
    If it does come true I'll shoot myself for even joking about it, surely even Big Boss isnt that mental to go for Harry??

Hopefully. :(

Don't even think like that, it wont happen, it can't, surely:mad:

When do ye expect the Neymar deal to happen if it does? I just hope it doesn't drag on like last summer & then to find out he's not coming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Talk of Redknapp being announced as new manager at 4.

He's the new bookies favorite, cannot for the life of me see this actually happening though.

Talk of Redknapp being announced as new manager at 4.

He's the new bookies favorite, cannot for the life of me see this actually happening though.

It wont happen hopefully.

Even if he was the new manager they would not just announe it like that, chelsea would nead permission to speak to him first and compensation would have to be sorted out for spurs, this would take time and we would hear about this first.

As I said its complete nonsense, no sense in sacking carlo and appointing harry, madness

• Advertisement

superfrank wrote: »
    When do ye expect the Neymar deal to happen if it does? I just hope it doesn't drag on like last summer & then to find out he's not coming!

If anything is to happen it wont be announced until end of June start of July I'd put money on that time anyway because the players will be still on holidays. If it does happen we have to negoiate a deal to pay off his 3rd party owner before he signs a contract after the Tevez affair.

Its been reported that the 3rd party gets 5% of any fee so that could jump the deal up to 30 + Million for his club and the 3rd party to accept.

Im open to correction about the above though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

If 'Arry does come, perhaps he might bring Modric with him..:pac:

papagormo wrote: »
    If 'Arry does come, perhaps he might bring Modric with him..:pac:

We should give them 30 Million for Modric......25Million for Modric and 5million to keep Harry :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Yes, all this action on 'Arry is a bit troubling, but there's no word from any of the main English jounos on Twitter that this is happening-that's no guarantee of anything of course.

Sure he's odds on, but Steven Gerrard was shorter odds to join Chelsea 5-6 summers ago and that never happened.

I've laid the bet on Betfair. If I'm wrong, I hope that the delayed rapture comes sooner rather than later.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Yes, all this action on 'Arry is a bit troubling, but there's no word from any of the main English jounos on Twitter that this is happening-that's no guarantee of anything of course.

Sure he's odds on, but Steven Gerrard was shorter odds to join Chelsea 5-6 summers ago and that never happened.

I've laid the bet on Betfair. If I'm wrong, I hope that the delayed rapture comes sooner rather than later.

It gets worse!
    Betting suspended on our new manager...

Betting has been reportedly suspended by the major bookies on our new manager as news has filtered through that Harry Redknapp has been at Cobham yesterday, and will be unveiled in a formal press conference at Chelsea on Monday.

Personally I am devastated and at a total loss to explain this.

How does sacking Double winning Carlo Ancelotti for someone like Harry Redknapp make any sense at all?

Please God no.

Your thoughts please...

Read more: http://www.chelsea.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=523401#ixzz1NTmQwqee

Dear old Harry, as I previously pointed out:
    Spurs - no cup - no CL football, terrible end of season form - Harry stays and gets appointed at Chelsea??????:eek:
    Chelsea - Won double last season, great end of season form up untill the Man U game, finishes 2nd - Carlo sacked

Surely its a wind up?:confused:

:mad: I'm worried now, just when I thought this season could not get any worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

It gets worse!
    Betting suspended on our new manager...

Betting has been reportedly suspended by the major bookies on our new manager as news has filtered through that Harry Redknapp has been at Cobham yesterday, and will be unveiled in a formal press conference at Chelsea on Monday.

Personally I am devastated and at a total loss to explain this.

How does sacking Double winning Carlo Ancelotti for someone like Harry Redknapp make any sense at all?

Please God no.

Your thoughts please...

Read more: http://www.chelsea.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=523401#ixzz1NTmQwqee

Dear old Harry, as I previously pointed out:
    Spurs - no cup - no CL football, terrible end of season form - Harry stays and gets appointed at Chelsea??????:eek:
    Chelsea - Won double last season, great end of season form up untill the Man U game, finishes 2nd - Carlo sacked

Surely its a wind up?:confused:

You rang?:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Shocking :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

My take on this is, if Roman hires Harry after sacking Carlo then he has truly lost it. Their is no way any advisior or anyone that has any football knowledge would say, " Dya know what? We should sack Carlo and bring in Harry Redknapp to replace him "

I just cant see it happen and I think its just all the rags making up stories to shift copies.

I'm confident that Arry won't be taking over..just the bookies creating a bit of hype!!

In other news...thanks for everything Frank but you can **** right off!!
    CHELSEA are on course for a huge row with former sporting director Frank Arnesen over the future of teenage prodigy Josh McEachran.
    They now face a fight to hang on to midfielder McEachran as Arnesen’s interest has alerted Europe’s top clubs to his potential availability amid the chaos at Stamford Bridge. It was announced that Arnesen was leaving his post at Chelsea in November and he agreed a deal to take up a similar role at German club Hamburg once his contract expired at the end of the season.

But just days after officially starting his new job as Hamburg’s director of sport, it has emerged Arnesen plans to take advantage of his former Chelsea contacts and intimate knowledge he gleaned at Stamford Bridge to target a move for McEachran.

Following the sacking of Carlo Ancelotti, Chelsea are without a manager and have not yet replaced Arnesen, making it difficult for the club to make big decisions on players.
    Chelsea are without a manager following Carlo Ancelotti's sacking

McEachran, 18, has been hailed as one of the country’s brightest young stars and won Chelsea’s Young-Player-of-the-Year award after making 17 appearances for the first team this season.

But he has not been tied down to a long-term deal and Arnesen has effectively made that clear to clubs such as Manchester United, Arsenal and Barcelona by telling German sources that the player is on his wanted list.

England youth star McEachran signed his first professional contract with Chelsea, worth about £6,000 a week, last summer. But that has only two years to run and, after his Premier League and Champions League debuts, it was decided that McEachran should be rewarded with a new deal including a substantial pay rise, tieing him to the club for the next five years.

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/249109Chelsea-fury-over-Josh-McEachran#ixzz1NXPsDozS

superfrank wrote: »
    I'm confident that Arry won't be taking over..just the bookies creating a bit of hype!!

In other news...thanks for everything Frank but you can **** right off!!

I'd hope that Josh would be professional enough to stay on and develop with us, how many 17/18 year olds have made as many competitive games for Chelsea in their first pro season? The club has been good to him and he will develop and get better and for me thats with us at Chelsea, hopefully he feels the same way and if the figure of 6,000K a week is true I'd expect that to be tripled and a 2 year extension slapped on so we dont lose him.

Interesting article from the telegraph.
    It starts as the usual Chelsea bashing rubbish they have been spouting lately, but then it becomes quite positive!

Arnesen’s work has been controversial since his arrival in 2005 from Tottenham Hotspur, who were paid £5 million compensation.

Some say he wasted a fortune – £60 million it is claimed — on young talent that failed to make the grade. Others argue that he has built a superb academy and his legacy will be long-lasting.

The truth probably lies between the two, although I would nudge towards the latter. In fairness to Arnesen, he was in a unique situation, albeit one that was fantastically well-remunerated even if it came with its own frustrations.

Primarily, he was working for Roman Abramovich.

Having sacked Ancelotti for not winning a trophy this season, the Chelsea owner has made a statement to world football and any prospective coach: you have to win something every year or you will lose your job.

But that does not sit with the advancement of young players. What is so appalling about Ancelotti’s dismissal is that here was a coach willing to embrace the youth philosophy, work with the old guard and foster attractive football.
    He had a strong relationship with Arnesen and worked together to satisfy Abramovich’s aims of bringing through that crop of youngsters.
    Except it is not that simple. There is luck involved and promoting the likes of Josh McEachran and Jeffrey Bruma works only if they have the experience of Frank Lampard and Alex alongside them. But those two — and others — were injured.
    It meant a brave experiment failed.
    But it does not mean it should ditched. Arnesen signed Slobodan Rajkovic for £3.8 million, Michael Woods and Tom Taiwo for £4 million and the so-far untried Aliu Djalo for what could be £5 million.
    But then there is Bruma for £200,000, Patrick Van Aanholt (£200,000), Jacopa Sala (£100,000), Fabio Borini (£100,000) and Jacob Melis (£650,000).
    If they are all sold at market value it could reap more than £10-15 million, while Miroslav Stoch was bought for £400,000 and sold for £5 million and Franco Di Santo for £1.7 million and sold for £4 million.
    It is estimated that £20 million has already been brought back into the academy through player sales and their system — based on the Ajax model — is considered among the best in Europe.
    Midfielder Gokhan Tore, 19, has just made the senior Turkey squad and is the next player expected to step up.
    But there seems to be a shift at Chelsea. The list of transfer targets — Romelu Lukaku, Kevin de Bruyne, Ante Vukusic and, to a lesser extent, Neymar and Gregory Van der Wiel, are raw material to be imported and finished at the club.
    Maybe, Arnesen’s job was ultimately as impossible as that of the Chelsea manager.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/8539876/Frank-Arnesens-Chelsea-legacy-open-to-debate-as-he-follows-Carlo-Ancelotti-out-the-Stamford-Bridge-door.html

^

Surprising that article doesnt go into detail about Kakuta and all the legal jinle jangle that went on over his transfer.

Still though, Im not sure what to make of Arnesen, on one hand he wanted the acamedy to be able to produce top class youngsters and to recruit young guys and make them pros. As the article suggets we have made some money form these which is good, but what isnt good as the money spent on the guys who didnt make it.

I suppose you can never tell and that in its self is a risk that we have to take and we cant blame Arnesen for the failures because himslef and Roman with a few others realised we needed the youth system up and running with the best coaches and scouts.

What I do hate is other clubs and fans saying we havent produced anyone in or system since Terry, but if you look through the list that has been published its clear we have, but its one thing prodcuing talent that can make it Championship standard but to produce the players that can push for a Chelsea first team opportunity is a rarity, the step up for some is too much and that goes for all youth systems world wide, but for the first time since its inception it is now producing really good prospects and thats all we can ask for and hope the new manager gives them ago.

It may have taken a few years but the system is producing and thats why investing in the youth system and Cobham we're seen as long term benefits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

Lump On Guardiola at 7/1 while ye can!! - No good waiting til he strips off his medal and dissappears down tunnel on Sat Night!;)

Lump On Guardiola at 7/1 while ye can!! - No good waiting til he strips off his medal and dissappears down tunnel on Sat Night!;)

Stranger things have happened and the rags are saying that whilst he is in town...........!

The odds on guardiola are tumbling today:eek:, it won't happen but at least its a nicer thought than harry:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

Lump On Guardiola at 7/1 while ye can!! - No good waiting til he strips off his runners up medal and dissappears down tunnel on Sat Night!;)

FYP

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement