Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11 (mod warning in post #7124)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I think its a pity if he goes, Drogba, Anelka, Malouda not getting any younger. If he was to be kept on and loaned out for another season, then review the situation in a year's time when we know exactly how Torres and Danny will fare out for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b011j30n/5_live_Sport_The_Monday_Night_Club_30_05_2011/

Chelsea fans listen to this. Forward to 58 mins.

Worth a listen IMO

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Would be a great signing alright, can't help but feel it would be the end for Essien/Mikel, now I'm just not sure which and I don't think it would be as clear cut as many would expect.

Chelsea need him or Sneijder IMO. Or someone of that ability and type

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

amiable wrote: »
    And I think Chelsea may sign Neymar this summer so he'd be even further down the pecking order.

He's not quite good enough for Chelsea IMO

Bit worried about Neymar - he throws some tantrums.
    In Brazil they give a lot of protection to the attackers

Bit of a risk imo, could be another Robinho

• Advertisement

Bit worried about Neymar - he throws some tantrums.
    In Brazil they give a lot of protection to the attackers

Bit of a risk imo, could be another Robinho
    Possibly. He looks a talent though.

I still think Roman will spend big this summer.

Especially after what we saw on Saturday night.

I think he'll just thank anything that's posted in reply to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

2 central defenders. Show me big clubs that have brought them through and kept them as a fixture in the team in the last 10-15 years. When you fail to find any for this really important position on the pitch then kindly be quiet.

Will start you off.

Chelsea - John Terry

Well it would suit your argument to limit it to central defenders.

Here's a better question with the same answer - name the only player to come through at Chelsea in the last 20 years? John Terry. Not even a handy squad player has been produced since. Laughable.

flahavaj wrote: »

Here's a better question with the same answer - name the only player to come through at Chelsea in the last 20 years? John Terry. Not even a handy squad player has been produced since. Laughable.

Would Josh McEachran qualify as an answer?:pac:

papagormo wrote: »
    Would Josh McEachran qualify as an answer?:pac:

If he ever plays more than a handful of minutes here and there and becomes a valued squad member then yeah, sure.

• Advertisement

If he ever plays more than a handful of minutes here and there and becomes a valued squad member then yeah, sure.

Ah hes hes still only 18 and anytime he did come on this season he shined pretty brightly. I think we will/should see more of him next season.

Ah hes hes still only 18 and anytime he did come on this season he shined pretty brightly. I think we will/should see more of him next season.

I agree he's a good talent and of course he's only young. But the jury is still out on whether he'll get the time to develop he needs and deserves at Chelsea.

Whcih is more likely to happen I wonder, Chelea spend big on an AMC in the next few years like Hamsik or Pastore, or realise they have a special talent in Josh and give him a clear run at regular first team football?

Apparently we have rejected a cash plus Bruno Alves offer from Zenit for Alex

Tough one to call. A midfielder will more than likely be bought in at some stage, but at the same time I can't see Josh not getting the time to develop his potential, hes too much of an opportunity not to be missed so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Apparently we have rejected a cash plus Bruno Alves offer from Zenit for Alex

Good, Alex is underated imo

Jesus I hope we hold onto Alex.

No chance of him going

Why is it so important to you, a non chelsea supporter ;)?

Many teams fail to bring through young talent they have developed, yes even Man U and Barca.
    A lot of the Man U youth has been pushed through recently because you just cant find affordable replacements

As has repeatedly been pointed out to you, our youth is coming along very nicely.
    We recently won the youth cup and now the reserves cup.
    There is a lot of talent "bubbling under", far more than in recent years

Be careful what you wish for, oh he who keeps posting the same tired "wheres your youth" digs.
    Sooner or later, we will get the team to click as per Barca with a good blend of youth and senior playing exciting and winning football.
    That is Romans aim
    Then you will have something to moan about!

btw - 20 years? Dont you mean 10?
    If you do mean 20 what about Jody Morris, Jon Harley, Dalla Bona, Mark Nicholls, Dear old Frank Sinclair - I could go on and on. Not established first teamers I grant you (Frank exempted), but certainly "handy squad players"

Jody Morris - trumpet - beat Utd?? Ring any bells

Even Chris Sutton scored!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OlulRzU27Q

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/sport/football/fa_carling_premiership/464027.stm

To be honest it would be madness not to sign a creative midfielder this season. The gap in age between Josh and Frank is huge and it's not is if we have an abundance of creative midfielders, so there would be plenty of games to go around.

Whats the story with Dzagoev? Was heavily linked in the past few seasons. Anyone watch enough Russian football to know how he is developing?

Why is it so important to you, a non chelsea supporter ;)?

I wouldn't say it keep me awake at night but if you want a Chelsea fan only cricle jerk I'm sure theres sites that can cater for those needs. This is a football discussion forum.
    Many teams fail to bring through young talent they have developed, yes even Man U and Barca.
    A lot of the Man U youth has been pushed through recently because you just cant find affordable replacements

Utd have always valued the promotuion of young players to the team since the 50's. This isn't a nw thing.
    As has repeatedly been pointed out to you, our youth is coming along very nicely.
    We recently won the youth cup and now the reserves cup.
    There is a lot of talent "bubbling under", far more than in recent years

They wil find their route to the team blocked by the merry go round of expensive signings that manager after manager will use to give the owner the short term fix he needs. There is no patience at any level of the club's management for nurturing young guys into the first team.
    Be careful what you wish for, oh he who keeps posting the same tired "wheres your youth" digs.
    Sooner or later, we will get the team to click as per Barca with a good blend of youth and senior playing exciting and winning football.
    That is Romans aim
    Then you will have something to moan about!

What roman wants and what Roman gets are two different thinsg as your CL performances over the years have shown.
    btw - 20 years? Dont you mean 10?
    If you do mean 20 what about Jody Morris, Jon Harley, Dalla Bona, Mark Nicholls, Dear old Frank Sinclair - I could go on and on. Not established first teamers I grant you (Frank exempted), but certainly "handy squad players"

Oh dear. Scraping the barrel here. I douby you cold go on actually tbh, if you're already quoting Mark Nicholls and Sam Dalla Bonna. LOL.

I thought the LFC thread had a monopoly on living in the past.:pac:

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say it keep me awake at night but if you want a Chelsea fan only cricle jerk I'm sure theres sites that can cater for those needs. This is a football discussion forum.

But you keep asking the same questiona and get the same answer!
    And I'm not having that, you are not here for discussion, you are here soley to snipe. You have nothing positive to say. Look at amiable posts on how to discuss!

Utd have always valued the promotuion of young players to the team since the 50's. This isn't a nw thing.

My point was that some dont always make it!

They wil find their route to the team blocked by the merry go round of expensive signings that manager after manager will use to give the owner the short term fix he needs. There is no patience at any level of the club's management for nurturing young guys into the first team.

This is not set in stone, Romans only been at the club a few years - it takes time you know. We are getting closer and closer, there certainly is patience, just not much patience when you lose a number of games on the trot and blow a big lead and slip back into 5th or 6th.

What roman wants and what Roman gets are two different thinsg as your CL performances over the years have shown.

Which is why the managers keep going - read Carlos book about his discussion with Roman, when Roman was moaning about the boring team and Carlo said - you need creativity! At one point Carlo alleges he discussed players who would help deliver the character and exciting play Abramovich felt his Chelsea lacked.

Oh dear. Scraping the barrel here. I douby you cold go on actually tbh, if you're already quoting Mark Nicholls and Sam Dalla Bonna. LOL.

I thought the LFC thread had a monopoly on living in the past.:pac:

You said 20 years ago!

See above

But you keep asking the same questiona and get the same answer!
    And I'm not having that, you are not here for discussion, you are here soley to snipe. You have nothing positive to say. Look at amiable posts on how to discuss!

Of course I'm here for discussion you just don't like what I have to say.
    My point was that some dont always make it!

My point is many do. At Chelsea, almost nobody does.
    This is not set in stone, Romans only been at the club a few years - it takes time you know. We are getting closer and closer, there certainly is patience, just not much patience when you lose a number of games on the trot and blow a big lead and slip back into 5th or 6th.

Patience is probably the one virtue Abramovich lacks FFS.
    Which is why the managers keep going - read Carlos book about his discussion with Roman, when Roman was moaning about the boring team and Carlo said - you need creativity! At one point Carlo alleges he discussed players who would help deliver the character and exciting play Abramovich felt his Chelsea lacked.

Not sure of the relevance of this to youth getting a run in the team. if anything you're kinda agreeing with me here - the managers want to sign players rather than bring kids in as it's the only way to get the short term success Roman demands.
    You said 20 years ago!

Aye. What some youtube clip has to so with is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

There has been more. Chelsea are only recently concentrating on youth and it will come good.

I see you going on about United promoting youth, you buy your youth. You got really lucky with Giggs, Scholes, the Nevilles etc. That was a once in a lifetime thing. You now buy people like Hernandez and Smalling. Youth doesn't get the chance at United that you think it does.

There has been more. Chelsea are only recently concentrating on youth and it will come good.

I see you going on about United promoting youth, you buy your youth. You got really lucky with Giggs, Scholes, the Nevilles etc. That was a once in a lifetime thing. You now buy people like Hernandez and Smalling. Youth doesn't get the chance at United that you think it does.

Yes it does. Even if they didn't necessarily come though the youth system since day one its hard to se the likes of teh da Slivas ever getting a chance at Chelsea, or an unknown kid like Hernendez becoming first choice in his first year. A philosophy of encouragung youth isn't confined to lifetime products of teh academy its about giving young talent a chance instead of relying on the instant fix of guys like Torres.
    At the very least the back up to the team is provided by a healthy dose of academy products such as Gibson, Fletcher (possible first choice), JOS, Brown, Cleverly, Welbeck, Macheda. AMost of those guys will get much more gamtime than any of Chelsea's kids will in the next few years, guaranteed.

Yiu can twist the argument any way you like from limiting to to centre halves to confining it strictky to academy products, the fact if the matter is that the culture and mentality of Chelsea is to make established signings,w hich direvtly block the rooute of young guys to the first team time and time again. The owner demands a quick fix, one that doesn't allow time for kids to make their mistakes in the team as they inevitably will.

We hear you guys fapping over fellas like Borini all the time, then come the end of the season they get the door because theres simply no room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

You are the one putting a twist on it to paint Chelsea badly and United like gods.

You buy your youth. You can't say the likes of Wellbeck and Macheda will get games. Players like Hernandez and Smalling go to teams like United because of their history. We get held to ransom. If we could sign potential top class youths for reasonable prices and play them we would because it is the right thing to do. Instead when we go in for the likes of Neymar we get told only for billions.

The youth system is now in place and benefits are been seen. Quality underage sides winning competitions. McEachran is the first of many to step up. Van Annholt will too and more will come. It takes time and we are only starting. We are hardly pumping money time and effort into youth just to let them go on frees, it is to produce players for the first team and make money.

If a player deserves the chance he will get it. Now stop talking out your arse about Chelsea do it here instead, you are better at it over there.

You are the one putting a twist on it to paint Chelsea badly and United like gods.

You buy your youth. You can't say the likes of Wellbeck and Macheda will get games. Players like Hernandez and Smalling go to teams like United because of their history. We get held to ransom. If we could sign potential top class youths for reasonable prices and play them we would because it is the right thing to do. Instead when we go in for the likes of Neymar we get told only for billions.

You think young players wouldn't go to Chelsea? Chelsea don't want young players. As for being held to ransom, that happens Utd too. All the more reason ye should be trying to encourage youth, not discourage it tbh.

The youth system is now in place and benefits are been seen. Quality underage sides winning competitions. McEachran is the first of many to step up. Van Annholt will too and more will come. It takes time and we are only starting. We are hardly pumping money time and effort into youth just to let them go on frees, it is to produce players for the first team and make money.

There is no guarantee these guys will get a chance, none at all. The new manager will buy his own 4-5 new established players, according to you lot, so thats less space in the squad for the kids again. I hear ye fapping over Aguero et al in one breath and in the other how Sturridge is gonna get his big chance next season - when he barely played before Torres came along and only shone on loan. Ye can't have it both ways.
    If a player deserves the chance he will get it. Now stop talking out your arse about Chelsea do it here instead, you are better at it over there.

LOL, grow up. Why do you get so p*ssy when people put forth an opposing view? There are plenty circle jerk websites if you want to play the Human Centipede with a load of other Blues, but this ain't the place for that.

I think we will see a repeat of last summer to be honest, a nice bunch of the senior squad members will leave and possibly 2-3 players tops brought in. I think there was an emphasis on getting the youths that were appearing on the bench at varying games (ie. josh, danny, kakuta, vanannholt, bruma mainly) to be given gametime, we usually saw them brought on when there was a lead established (im mainly taking about the first few games of this season) but then the season hit the wall and opportunity to continue to have the youths come on was pushed back as we simply had to rely on all experienced heads to try and scrape results.
    If we have a season similar to the start of the season just ended, I think we will see a hell of a lot more youths being given gametime, after a few goals have gone in.

I think we will see a repeat of last summer to be honest, a nice bunch of the senior squad members will leave and possibly 2-3 players tops brought in. I think there was an emphasis on getting the youths that were appearing on the bench at varying games (ie. josh, danny, kakuta, vanannholt, bruma mainly) to be given gametime, we usually saw them brought on when there was a lead established (im mainly taking about the first few games of this season) but then the season hit the wall and opportunity to continue to have the youths come on was pushed back as we simply had to rely on all experienced heads to try and scrape results.
    If we have a season similar to the start of the season just ended, I think we will see a hell of a lot more youths being given gametime, after a few goals have gone in.

This is the problem right here, too much pressure to achieve immediate results. The club's youth philosophy should no be dependant upon whether things are going well in the here and now. Thats basically a whole season wasted when the kids have gottne no meaningful gametime. If results get dodgy next year will the same happen? And the year after? At some stage ye are gonna have to commit to giving these kids a try rather than paying lip service to a youth system thats been heavily invested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Good posts Flah, TBH your one of the better poster that comes in here.

My main arguement is most clubs at the top end of the table and fighting for the league don't give younger guys a chance unless its in the lesser games like early FA Cup games or League Cup games. Im sure Carlo would have liked to play the young guys but with Roman grinding the axe seemingly everyday you cant take the risk as you know its the results that could cost you your job.

Every manager and owner and fan would love for a youth team player to break through and become a regular starter, but when it was all going pear shape last year we didnt have that luxury and Kakuta and Danny we're shipped out and Josh got less games.

What I will say is Josh at the moment has the best chance to play reguarly out of all our young guys. With Essien, Ramires, Lampard, Mikel and to a lesser extant Malouda playing for CM positions Josh could easily slot into a midfield with Essien holding and Lamps getting forward and Josh playing link between the two.

After the end of next season we will know which of the young guys will have made the step up because at the moment we have arguably our best youth team players rolling off the production line and its up to the club, coaches, manager to decide whos good enough to make it.

Should be an interesting 18 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

We hear you guys fapping over fellas like Borini all the time, then come the end of the season they get the door because theres simply no room.

Borini was offered a new contract but couldn't agree personal terms.

Johner wrote: »
    Borini was offered a new contract but couldn't agree personal terms.

I'd say it wasnt the money, it was probably he felt he was important to the team and deserved a shot and was told his first team opportunities would be limited.

I must say I can see Sinclair coting us 2 points next season by scoring against next season.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

gavredking wrote: »
    What I will say is Josh at the moment has the best chance to play reguarly out of all our young guys. With Essien, Ramires, Lampard, Mikel and to a lesser extant Malouda playing for CM positions Josh could easily slot into a midfield with Essien holding and Lamps getting forward and Josh playing link between the two.
    Well, if Roman decides he wants a ready made superstar instead of Josh, we'll happily take him off your hands :p

Anyway flah, terry, carry on!

Well, if Roman decides he wants a ready made superstar instead of Josh, we'll happily take him off your hands :p

Anyway flah, terry, carry on!

Well I'd love to see Josh play more games, hes still only 18 so plenty of time for him to break in.

Also, feck off from our Josh, ye can have him on loan and bulk him up a bit and send him back, ,we don't have the money to pay for his rations :pac:

Oh and yes, Terry, Flah, keep your hands up at all times and have a good, clean fight........LETS GET IT ON.

* Ding, Ding *

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I'd say it wasnt the money, it was probably he felt he was important to the team and deserved a shot and was told his first team opportunities would be limited.

I must say I can see Sinclair coting us 2 points next season by scoring against next season.

Sinclair has done really well for Swansea, he had about 6 loan spells where he showed nothing at all including one with Wigan in the Premier League so I think we where right to sell him, he wasn't progressing at all in the way we would have hoped.

rocky-II-fight.jpg

"Risin' up, back on the street
    Did my time, took my chances
    Went the distance, now I'm back on my feet
    Just a man and his will to survive"

Ding!:pac:

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »
    Sinclair has done really well for Swansea, he had about 6 loan spells where he showed nothing at all including one with Wigan in the Premier League so I think we where right to sell him, he wasn't progressing at all in the way we would have hoped.

I actually believed and hoped that Sinclair would be a better player then Kalou, as they have similar style and presence but he never reached the potetinal as you pointed out Johner, but nonetheless, hes back in the EPl now and I wish him the best with Swansea, oncethey dont take points off us :pac:
    rocky-II-fight.jpg

"Risin' up, back on the street
    Did my time, took my chances
    Went the distance, now I'm back on my feet
    Just a man and his will to survive"

Ding!:pac:

:P Needs more Micky ( not that type :eek: )

Aww Gavredking, words cannot express how sickened I am that I didn't spot your post before the quick thinking ninja edit you got in there!:D

Aww Gavredking, words cannot express how sickened I am that I didn't spot your post before the quick thinking ninja edit you got in there!:D

:p

I knew his name was Micky but Mikey was typed so had to ninja edit before it was too late :cool:

Those Neymar rumours are gathering speed!

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/864840-neymar-nears-chelsea-switch-and-robinho-gives-thumbs-up-to-the-move

And endorsed by that well known success story that is Robinho :eek:

Those Neymar rumours are gathering speed!

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/864840-neymar-nears-chelsea-switch-and-robinho-gives-thumbs-up-to-the-move

And endorsed by that well known success story that is Robinho :eek:

£28 Million, yes please :pac:

I'd love for Neymar to join. Anyone here anything about Drogba apparently getting an extension, seen it on twitter but nothing to reliable.

• Advertisement

Thats alot of crazy talk alright, I suppose it is the season for it. Expect Man city to be the same, if not worse.

" Messi to Man City for all the oil in Dubai "

TBF to Kalou and Mikel they have both been quiet decent this season when they played. Although I will never forgive Kalou for missing a sitter away to Newcastle this season and we drew the game. :mad:

I'd keep Mikel and ship Kalou out. If Drogba does stay this summer I think Anelka will go and maybe Malouda.

Thats alot of crazy talk alright, I suppose it is the season for it. Expect Man city to be the same, if not worse.

" Messi to Man City for all the oil in Dubai "

TBF to Kalou and Mikel they have both been quiet decent this season when they played. Although I will never forgive Kalou for missing a sitter away to Newcastle this season and we drew the game. :mad:

I'd keep Mikel and ship Kalou out. If Drogba does stay this summer I think Anelka will go and maybe Malouda.

Yep its a funny one with Drogba and Anelka.
    Anelka can play with and bring into play, others alright, but Drogba can win matches on his own and could be a brilliant "Plan B".
    Whether or not he is happy to do so, remains to be seen, unless the new unknown manager can get him and torres playing together or find a way of giving him enough game time to keep him happy.

Yep its a funny one with Drogba and Anelka.
    Anelka can play with and bring into play, others alright, but Drogba can win matches on his own and could be a brilliant "Plan B".
    Whether or not he is happy to do so, remains to be seen, unless the new unknown manager can get him and torres playing together or find a way of giving him enough game time to keep him happy.

Well as much as it pains me I do think Drogba suffered alot last year, the Malaria didnt help, spending £50 million on Torres didnt help him ( or Torres for that matter ) becasue they both love the central striker position. I'd love for Drogba to come back next season and have one last final season with us and go out banging in goals but it looks like a long shot.

The team is in transisation and wether we like it or not Roman see's Torres as the man to lead us forward and he is, hes a good 6 years younger then Drogba, hes the same age Drogba was when he joined us so hopefully thats a good thing.

Roll on August please, cant wait. :cool:

Wish to jaysus Guus would just come out and say "yes I am indeed going to be the next Chelsea manager."
    All this heightening of speculation surrounding whether or not he is taking the role is beginning to grind my gears!

Wish to jaysus Guus would just come out and say "yes I am indeed going to be the next Chelsea manager."
    All this heightening of speculation surrounding whether or not he is taking the role is beginning to grind my gears!

I think as much as it was obvious that Carlo was going, its pretty obvious Guus is coming!

But I know what you mean

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6961121,00.html

I'm just worried that guus will decide to stay with turkey if they win on friday and then chelsea are screwed and we will end up with redknapp:eek:

A lot of talk about modric, apparently he wants to stay in london, I think he is exactly what we need. Not as good as sneijder imo but the fact he is proven quality in the premier league, cheaper and younger makes him preferable imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

MUSEIST wrote: »
    A lot of talk about modric, apparently he wants to stay in london, I think he is exactly what we need. Not as good as sneijder imo but the fact he is proven quality in the premier league, cheaper and younger makes him preferable imo.

Modric would be a fantastic signing. He'd be a perfect fit.

MUSEIST wrote: »
    amiable wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b011j30n/5_live_Sport_The_Monday_Night_Club_30_05_2011/

Chelsea fans listen to this. Forward to 58 mins.

Worth a listen IMO

Posted last night. McGarry is usually on the ball especially with Chelsea IMO

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement