Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11 (mod warning in post #7124)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

smuckers wrote: »
    I heard they havent made up their mind who is going to be the second coach to Guus.

Wasnt it on Twitter that he had reportly asked that they re-consider Wilkins for that role?

I know it sounds far-fetched but ya never know, could have easily happened. Once we have Guus the coaches will follow. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Rojiblancos

gavredking wrote: »
    Y
    I'd seriously doubt that, the draw is done " live " and witnessed by a few memebers of the FA board. The computer throws out the fixtures randomly.

I doubt that its as random as the FA want us to believe! Theres never a big derby game on the opening day or last day of the season. And a 'big club' always starts the season against a promoted side which is nicely fitted in on sky sports:rolleyes:

Just to give you one example; every club is paired with another in regard to when they play their home and away fixtures. This is done for a number of reasons, one being so that clubs like Everton and Liverpool do not play at home on the same weekend.

Fixtures around boxing day are also supposedy done manually to minimise travelling for fans.

In the days before the fixture list is released clubs are allowed to request date changes for matches. The match cannot be moved to a different week but it can be moved to, for example a saturday to a friday. Which cheltenham often do when they have a home match, so they can avoid clashing with horse racing

I doubt that its as random as the FA want us to believe! Theres never a big derby game on the opening day or last day of the season. And a 'big club' always starts the season against a promoted side which is nicely fitted in on sky sports:rolleyes:

Just to give you one example; every club is paired with another in regard to when they play their home and away fixtures. This is done for a number of reasons, one being so that clubs like Everton and Liverpool do not play at home on the same weekend.

Fixtures around boxing day are also supposedy done manually to minimise travelling for fans.

In the days before the fixture list is released clubs are allowed to request date changes for matches. The match cannot be moved to a different week but it can be moved to, for example a saturday to a friday. Which cheltenham often do when they have a home match, so they can avoid clashing with horse racing

Agree, fixtures are accomdated where needed, the article Sgt Pepper 64 posted points to this, its not just a case of throwing the 20 teams into a hat and picking the fixtures. As you said aswell other things are factoed in, Champs League games for example.

Just the part in bold. Liverpool v Arsenal last season was the first game of the season for both clubs but happened to be on a Sunday. Chelsea v Liverpool last game of the season 03, decided who came 4th.

Just two off the top of my head, I agree they are very infrequent but they do happen every so often.

Trust me, I'd rather an easy start to the season then going to any of our rivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Sky need the big team v promoted minnows game on the first day so they can do their whole compare wages, player costs, hotel costs etc etc. Every feckin year- ' so it's the paupers from the back of beyond against their illustrious London neighbours'.....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Juan Mata would be a great option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

There's talk of Alex being poached by Bayern. I hope he stays with Chelsea.

EDIT: mind you, there's talk everywhere about potential transfers.. I shouldn't have fallen into the trap of reporting something that could be nothing.. hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Fixtures announced 9am friday for all that have been asking.
    There's been a few rumours

On Mata he is sh1t hot.
    Comolli has been in regular contact with his father apparently

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

well now , Sky Sports news is reporting that spurs have turned down a £22 million pound bid rejected , but were due to make an improved offer ! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Danny looked lively tonight - real class. IMO he would deffo fit in well with better players around him. He was quite happy to try and set up people as well.

Betrand wasnt too shabby either, good tackle towards the end.

And this is what pete was trying to say , but just got too excited!

Sky Sports sources understand that Tottenham have rejected a £22m bid from Chelsea for Luka Modric. More to follow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Finally some movement from chelsea. Lads 22 mill is only a starting point and chelsea know that, I expect it to rise to 30mill+.

I wonder will modric do a torres and ask spurs to consider the offer:D

• Advertisement

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Finally some movement from chelsea. Lads 22 mill is only a starting point and chelsea know that, I expect it to rise to 30mill+.

I wonder will modric do a torres and ask spurs to consider the offer:D

I reckon thats the only way he will get to move.
    Might have have to throw in a player as well!

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6991380,00.html

Barca in for Sanchez now. But we know they "only" have 40 mill to spend

News:
    Barcelona have opened talks with Udinese over a deal for Alexis Sanchez and are optimistic about winning the chase for his signature

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Heavily linked with Sanchez for over a year and now that it comes down to it we don't make any move. If Sanchez and Mata move to other clubs and we don't even make an attempt to sign them I'll be sad :(

Lukker- wrote: »
    Heavily linked with Sanchez for over a year and now that it comes down to it we don't make any move. If Sanchez and Mata move to other clubs and we don't even make an attempt to sign them I'll be sad :(

I would love us to go for mata, serious quality player. Him and torres would be epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I reckon thats the only way he will get to move.
    Might have have to throw in a player as well!

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6991380,00.html

Barca in for Sanchez now. But we know they "only" have 40 mill to spend

News:
    Barcelona have opened talks with Udinese over a deal for Alexis Sanchez and are optimistic about winning the chase for his signature

Heard Sanchez wants Barca
    I can see Chelsea getting Modric.
    Probably around 30 mill and well worth it considering recent transfers

I think £25Million with future fees is the best option for Modric. I dont think hes worth anywhere near £30Million. when you look at the deals throughout Europe, like last season Real Madrid got Ozil and Kheidra for a combined fee of about £25Million and even this year they got Sahin for about £9Million.

Now if Modric is woth nearly the combined fee of 3 of these players there is something seriously wrong with the EPL and their over-inflating of transfer valuations, its a load of balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,828 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Congrats to Frank Lampard and Christine Bleakley on the announcement of their engagement.
    All the best Frank, one seriously professional footballer and all round good guy.
    Link

papagormo wrote: »
    Congrats to Frank Lampard and Christine Bleakley on the announcement of their engagement.
    All the best Frank, one seriously professional footballer and all round good guy.
    Link

Model professional if you ask me, top man and best wishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Veles wrote: »
    Congrats to super Frank!
    when do ye reckon the manager situ will be resolved though?

This pretty much sums up how I feel about it. Full on "Monkey" mode

Is Gourlay the new Del Boy?
    While Chelsea chief execuitive Ron Gourlay swans around the Far East looking at venues for the pre-season matches and pressing the flesh on sponsors alike, the real business for fans goes on - getting in players.
    With a £22m or £25m offer for Luka Modric laughed off the Spurs' boardroom table yesterday, one wonders who is conducting these deals?
    Everyone in the football world knows Chelsea are after a creative midfielder and right-back as a priority.
    The striking situation is self-eveident even to those with little interest in the beautiful game.
    So who decided that £25m for Modric was a reasonable opening gambit?
    Modric is worth at least £6m-£7m more.
    But Gouraly and his cronies do love a "deal" - it's as if he's acting like Del Boy down Peckham Market than the boss of a multimillion-pound operation.

Sure, try and save a few bob here and there, but this game of offering peanuts and then moving towards a figure somewhere in the middle is classless and poor business.

Roman Abramovich could have saved in excess of £50m by not sacking managers and coaching staff.
    Most Chelsea fans are getting pretty much fed-up at the lack of communication from the club.
    Gourlay only said what he said about the manager being in place in the next couple of weeks because he was pressed on it at his his Far East jolly press conference.
    The club complains about idle speculation but fails to address it.

I think £25Million with future fees is the best option for Modric. I dont think hes worth anywhere near £30Million. when you look at the deals throughout Europe, like last season Real Madrid got Ozil and Kheidra for a combined fee of about £25Million and even this year they got Sahin for about £9Million.

Now if Modric is woth nearly the combined fee of 3 of these players there is something seriously wrong with the EPL and their over-inflating of transfer valuations, its a load of balls.

I get the feeling you dont want modric. I value him at 30 mill. Remember ozil only had 1 year left on his contract, modric has 4 I think. I think 30-33 mill is fair for modric imo and I would love if we got him for that. Exactly what we need and proven in the premier league too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

Totally agree he's a good player but not worth in excess of 30m. Inflation is the name of the game when the top sides in the PL buy domestically and its no wonder a lot of teams buy players from abroad. As for Modric well Spurs in particular will squeeze every penny, just look how they did it with United with the Carrick and Berba signings, and because its Chelsea who can afford to bankroll that kind of money they'll hold out for as much as possible but in a way I can't really blame teams who do hold out for huge transfer fee's, I know if United are selling a player I'd want them to get as much as they can for him, and because teams like Chelsea and City have a big transfer budget its makes them easy to extort as in if you's have the money he won't come cheap.

I get the feeling you dont want modric. I value him at 30 mill. Remember ozil only had 1 year left on his contract, modric has 4 I think. I think 30-33 mill is fair for modric imo and I would love if we got him for that. Exactly what we need and proven in the premier league too.

Is Modric the best player that we can hope expect to get?
    Or is Snjeder a better option or someone else?
    I presume that this is all to get the best out of Torres?
    Hell of a gamble and really bad if Torres has to have this type of player to score!

And yes Tosh, because we paid 50 mill for Torres, all selling clubs will be going "but you paid 50 mill for torres, so our man is worth...."

My main point is if we had better scouts and contacts we could have been in the market for some of Europes hottest talent at a fraction of the cost of £30 million.

Its not that I dont want him, I just dont think hes the answer, IMO, he goes missing too much in games and for the odd piece of brillance he does produce I dont think hes worth £30Million + and wages of £130,000 a week. Yes hes been in the EPL a few years now but any top footballer from Series A or La Liga could prove it in the EPL, if we spend that amount of money on say Sneijder, I've no doubt he'd be a hit, and IMO hes streets ahead of Modric but apprently his wages are a stumbling block.

Which brings us back to Modric. I just dont know where he'd play. It all depends on who comes in and what system they adopt. If we do buy Modric it will be for stupid money that hes just not worth.
    TheTosh wrote: »
    Totally agree he's a good player but not worth in excess of 30m. Inflation is the name of the game when the top sides in the PL buy domestically and its no wonder a lot of teams buy players from abroad. As for Modric well Spurs in particular will squeeze every penny, just look how they did it with United with the Carrick and Berba signings, and because its Chelsea who can afford to bankroll that kind of money they'll hold out for as much as possible but in a way I can't really blame teams who do hold out for huge transfer fee's, I know if United are selling a player I'd want them to get as much as they can for him, and because teams like Chelsea and City have a big transfer budget its makes them easy to extort as in if you's have the money he won't come cheap.

I agree.

Key parts in bold.

I just dont want to spend £30 + Million on him but im not the manager or owner. I dont think hes good enough to play as a central midfielder, ala Essien or Ramires and I dont think hes good enough to replace Lampard coming from deep. waht he does offer however is the bit of flair and killer ball to unlock teams but what he lacks in other areas I wouldnt spend the money on him, but the arguement can be made that players like Essien, Ramires, Mikel can do the donkey work while he tries to unlock the opposition.

It really is a £30 Million pound question.

Is Modric the best player that we can hope expect to get?
    Or is Snjeder a better option or someone else?
    I presume that this is all to get the best out of Torres?
    Hell of a gamble and really bad if Torres has to have this type of player to score!

And yes Tosh, because we paid 50 mill for Torres, all selling clubs will be going "but you paid 50 mill for torres, so our man is worth...."

I'd take Sneijder every day of the week and twice on Sundays. He's a level above fo Modric, look at what he done awhen we palyed Inter in 09/10 CL game, he ran the show and pushed Inter to the treble and Holland to the WC Final.

I think Torres needs a player to unlock the defence, a player to be between midfield and defence and play a killer ball, Modric can do it but I'd rather Sneijder.

I think the main stumbling block would be Sneijder wages, also he would be leaving a similar level of team to join us where as, and no offence to Spurs fans Modric would be making the step up to an elite team so Modric may want to move more so then Sneijder.

Sneijder is clas but would cost 35-40 mill and 175k+ a week in wages, thats too much imo. I am shocked that some people dont see the value in buying modric, we have nobody in our midfield who can pass or create (did ye not see last season or was that just a nightmare I had). Modric was outstanding last season for spurs and would make chelsea tick imo.

Where he would play is very obvious.

Assume we play a normal 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1

GK
    -RB
    CB
    CB
    LB---
    DM

AM
    AM
    ----RF
    CF
    LF

Modric would take one of the AM roles

GK
    -RB
    CB
    CB
    LB---
    CM----CM

AM
    ----RF
    CF
    LF

Again he could play just off the striker. If the new manager wants toplay 4-4-2 then modric is used to playing that for spurs.

All this talk of Modric and Sneidjer and the likes has me wondering lads, is Josh too young just yet? I think he should be getting his game time a hell of a lot more this season.
    And as for Danny, jaysus but I won't be too pleased if hes loaned out for another season!

Chelsea have released five youngsters

Chelsea have released five youngsters ahead of the new campaign and amongst the departing palyers is Michael Woods.
    The Blues signed Woods from Leeds United in 2006 and were accused of tapping-up the promising youngster, by Leeds chairman, and formar Chelsea chairman, Ken Bates.
    Chelsea ended up paying Leeds £5 million in compensation for the signing of Michael Woods and Tom Taiwo who also left Elland Road to join Chelsea.
    Chelsea have also decided not retain Samuel Hutchinson, Carl Magnay, Danny Philliskirk or Jan Sebek.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/chelsea/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/06/16/manual_122232.html

Sneijder is clas but would cost 35-40 mill and 175k+ a week in wages, thats too much imo. I am shocked that some people dont see the value in buying modric, we have nobody in our midfield who can pass or create (did ye not see last season or was that just a nightmare I had). Modric was outstanding last season for spurs and would make chelsea tick imo.

Where he would play is very obvious.

Assume we play a normal 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1

GK
    -RB
    CB
    CB
    LB---
    DM

AM
    AM
    ----RF
    CF
    LF

Modric would take one of the AM roles

GK
    -RB
    CB
    CB
    LB---
    CM----CM

AM
    ----RF
    CF
    LF

Again he could play just off the striker. If the new manager wants toplay 4-4-2 then modric is used to playing that for spurs.

My main point is for the extra couple of million and extra K's a week we could get a player that is better and for me that represents better value.

Hell if we want to spend money on a creative midfielder why not try get Muller from Bayern, anyone from Ozil/Canales/Di Maria from Real Madrid, or even Pastore, there is options out there that dont have to include blowing that money on Modric. Either we spend £30 million on a world beater aka Sneijder or we try spend £15-20Million on and up and coming youngster, just my 2 cents.

With Spurs saying they rejected a bid of £22 Million from us leaves the door open for other teams to come in and up the price regardless. You dont see the best teams in Europe climbing over themselves to get Modric.

Maybe I seem anti Modric and I want to say im not, if he joined he would be a decent singing but just not anybody that would excite me.
    All this talk of Modric and Sneidjer and the likes has me wondering lads, is Josh too young just yet? I think he should be getting his game time a hell of a lot more this season.
    And as for Danny, jaysus but I won't be too pleased if hes loaned out for another season!

I dont think you canbe too young, look at Rodwell, Rooney, Wilshere, Cesc, etc, etc, etc all making pretty big impacts when playing from 17 onwards, if he is considered good enough he'll play and for me he will be the future, amybe not the season coming but defintely long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

have to agree with Gav, Modric might turn out to be a good move for us, but I honestly dont think he will be an amazing player, but if it ends up costing close to £30 million I think we're crazy, he's not in that top level of players, I think we are much better off pursuing Pastore and paying the £40 million for someone that could be amazing!

• Advertisement

Pastore is a complete unknown, big risk for 40 mill.

So I am the only fan who is excited by modric, I have to say I am very suprised by some fans opinion of him. I think chelsea fans have been spoiled tbh.

LanceStorm wrote: »
    have to agree with Gav, Modric might turn out to be a good move for us, but I honestly dont think he will be an amazing player, but if it ends up costing close to £30 million I think we're crazy, he's not in that top level of players, I think we are much better off pursuing Pastore and paying the £40 million for someone that could be amazing!

Well thats the crazy thing about us. Did anyone honestly think we would pay 50 million for Torres?

Knowing us we will buy both and think nothing of it (Whilst still wondering why all our players are expensive!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Always thought young Woods had a future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Pastore is a complete unknown, big risk for 40 million
    So I am the only fan who is excited by modric, I have to say I am very suprised by some fans opinion of him. I think chelsea fans have been spoiled tbh.

I would love if we got Modric, brilliant player that would definitely add to us.

Soby wrote: »
    Always thought young Woods had a future

Injuries ruined him.

Well I dont think Modric would be bad, but its all bulls**t with English clubs and jackig up the prices. Look at Henderson and Jones, no way we're they worth that much, but becasue 2 top teams came in the prices of the players we're inflated. Now its up to the club to amke a profit but the prices are crazy and that includes Modric.
    Pastore is a complete unknown, big risk for 40 mill.

Pastore isnt worth 40Million either but I would pay 30Million tops for him, becasue I think Modric true value should only be about 20Million.

Im not excited becasue I dont think hes 30Million good, yes I agree hes a good player but hes not in the price bracket. I wouldnt be freaked if we signed him but withthe option I named and the prices they went for spending money on Modric is mad business IMO.
    Well thats the crazy thing about us. Did anyone honestly think we would pay 50 million for Torres?

Knowing us we will buy both and think nothing of it (Whilst still wondering why all our players are expensive!)

Torres though compared to Modric is another difference. Torres is regarded as one of the top strikers inworld football, we paid about 15Million too much for him but thts what you get on transfer deadline day when a club doesnt want to sell.

We wont sign Pasore and Modric, we might not sign either of them TBH.

I think to make it clear, Modric would be a decent signing for us, but I think a waste of money that we could use elsewhere as the price is extraordinary for him.

Thats my take on Modric anyway and the good thing is we all have different takes and opinions on it. :)

Keep up the discussion. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

I think Modric would be a good signing but wouldn't pay over 25mil. Sneijder may be older but is on another level to Modric.
    Spurs are looking for 45mil they won't get.

Lads am I losing it or was Samuel Hutchinson not forced to retire months ago due to a reoccurring injury?
    I'll welcome Modric, but 27million tops. I'd rather see Josh get his game time.

I think Modric would be a good signing but wouldn't pay over 25mil. Sneijder may be older but is on another level to Modric.

Is that figure true?? :eek:

That would be double more then what hes worth IMO, crazy price considering 'Arry would probably buy 3 players with it and a new kit bag and balls for Spurs with the money. :P

Sneijder deal looks highly unlikely at this stage anyway, I'd be very surprised if he was too join.

Thats just quare nuts money I think. Hope to jaysus any offer doesn't get anywhere near that.

Lads am I losing it or was Samuel Hutchinson not forced to retire months ago due to a reoccurring injury?
    I'll welcome Modric, but 27million tops. I'd rather see Josh get his game time.

You're not losing it but there was rumours of him making a remarkable comeback but think that one has been put to bed now

• Advertisement

Is that figure true?? :eek:

That would be double more then what hes worth IMO, crazy price considering 'Arry would probably buy 3 players with it and a new kit bag and balls for Spurs with the money. :P

Sneijder deal looks highly unlikely at this stage anyway, I'd be very surprised if he was too join.

I read it in the London Evening Standard, one of Modric Pastore and Sneijder will join, the most likliest is Modric.

Our lovely leader did say "There WILL 2 or 3 new players"

Maybe we have already sounded out Snjeder and Modric is our best option relating to wages/fee/wanting to move?

Interesting, the Spuds think highly of him, but as we saw with Man U and Berba - there is a price - if the player wants it badly enough and we go high enough

Chelsea and Manchester United will engage in an auction for the services of Luka Modric. Not ITK, just obvious, and something I’ve mentioned a couple of times since the season finished. He’s one of the top midfielders in Europe and certainly the best outside the top four, with the possible exception of Gerrard who is welded to his club.
    Chelsea’s bid of £22m has been greeted in the Spurs community with howls of derision, an insult to the player and the club. However, it’s merely an opening gambit in what promises to be a protracted negotiation throughout a long tedious window. They know they will have to pay more, a lot more to not only attract him away from the Lane, where he seems happy enough, but also to outbid rivals. City have come into the equation according to some papers and our CL run was an advert for our best men seen and absorbed across Europe.
    The bid signals Chelsea’s intentions to Spurs and to the player but it’s main purpose is to flush other bidders out into the open, which is the main reason why Chelsea leaked it to the media last night. It’s no reflection on us: we’d do exactly the same if it suited us. Harry is hardly a stranger to the media and just because he says it in that ‘football man uncle H know something good when I see it’ tone doesn’t make it any different.
    Neither have Chelsea undervalued him. They expect to pay up to double if he signs. The talk in the Spurs forums about their arrogance at offering such a low figure has meaning only if we are going to sell. He’s worth £40m at least in today’s market but to me he’s worth nothing because something that’s not for sale has no price.
    Nothing has changed with this bid. Levy is the key, not United or Chelsea, Fergie or Abramovich. Media statements from player or club mean little either until the window closes. It’s up to Levy to resist temptation, same as it was last week and the one before. Luka Modric is worth everything and nothing at the same time. Don’t sell under any circumstances.
    Lest you believe I’m being unfeasibly charitable towards a club I’ve disliked since my childhood in west London, my I’ve disliked since my childhood in west London derision is reserved for fans of Chelsea and United for that matter who are debating whether or not Modric is good enough for them. If you want hubris and real arrogance, read some of their earnest discussions. My advice, in the spirit of comradeship amongst my fellow fans, is to get down on your knees and pray, beg that your club is worthy of such a maestro in your creaking midfields.
    Much of this is based not on the evidence of their eyes but on numbers. Look at the stats, they say, only a few goals and fewer assists. Not up to scratch. What really violates me as they spout this bilge is the concept of football reduced to a series of numbers on a page. I despise this trend in the modern game. No recognition of guile, beauty and power that makes our game the greatest of them all, qualities that Modric epitomises. Presumably those that query Luka’s credentials clutch clipboards to their breasts ticking off the stats on their puss-splattered pages as their acne rears up.
    Numbers tell only some of the story. How do they measure Luka as he picks up the ball from deep, passes, moves, picks it up, pauses for a fraction then on it goes, and him with it? Put a figure on the relieved expressions of team-mates, under intense pressure who look up and find him waiting, wanting the ball. Evaluate if you will the space he creates for others as defenders cluster around him or as he moves to the ball leaving gaps elsewhere. Quantify the emotion as he lifts those around him with a precious combination of skill, perception and sheer dogged bloody-minded effort. Run the tape round his legs and torso or from head to toe: will that tell how far he runs, how hard he tackles or how easily he picks himself up after a physical challenge and just gets on with it? The notion that he is frail is preposterous.
    Use these figures to dismiss in a second other footballers who weren’t so hot in front of goal. Ossie Ardiles, for example. Useless to all intents and purposes, yet who could turn a game not with a 25 yard thunderbolt but by running the midfield so that he controlled the pace and shape of the entire game. You want power? Right there, as 21 others played to his tune. Ardiles, a man who could not bear for the ball to be still, couldn’t hit a dead ball (apart from at Man U) but just wanted to play.
    Stats? You want one? Work out who started the moves, the man who passed the ball to the guy who made the assist. Better still, wait a year and give him a couple of strikers on the same wavelength, who don’t throw down the picnic blanket and set up camp on the far post or who idle in the safety of the 18 yard line, but who feed off those little balls tucked into channels.
    Football is an exhilarating, stunningly beautiful spectacle in the hands and feet of the best. Never lose the sense of mystery as Modric spreads the play 35 yards, threads a pass through when there is no room or sways away from desperate defenders with a single shrug and shimmy. If you think differently, heathens and philistines, oblivious to the sign of true brilliance, frankly, what’s the point? Maybe just spend some time and watch Luka Modric, really watch what he does rather than count. It makes the game a thing of great beauty and wonder, precisely what contemporary football needs. Let’s hope for Spurs’ sake that when you watch, he’s wearing white.

Thats just quare nuts money I think. Hope to jaysus any offer doesn't get anywhere near that.

Yup, £45 Million would be insane money, makes £30 Million look normal. Roman, dont be a bloody fool and pay over the odds.:(

lol, 45 mill, thats insanity. Nobody would even come close to that, not even city.

I read it in the London Evening Standard, one of Modric Pastore and Sneijder will join, the most likliest is Modric.

Yup, Modric would have less competition for his signature then Pastore and Sneijder would really want to move as I dont think Inter will sell their best player.
    Our lovely leader did say "There WILL 2 or 3 new players"

Maybe we have already sounded out Snjeder and Modric is our best option relating to wages/fee/wanting to move?

Interesting, the Spuds think highly of him, but as we saw with Man U and Berba - there is a price - if the player wants it badly enough and we go high enough

QUOTE]

Didnt quote ya fully Sgt. but that was a good read. As you pointed out, the early leaders for Modric services is ourselves and Man Utd, now Utd have been linked for Modric for the last 18 months so I wouldnt be surprised to see Utd pulling out the stops to get what i feel is their number 1 man.

At the moment as we have no recognsied manager its ahrd too see who our number 1 target is but time will tell, obviously Modric is high onthe list if we had a bid turned down for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6992354,00.html

lets go a completely different direction, how about Taarabt at QPR? could easily be gotten for under 10million, wouldnt have to take Lampards place right away, could give him 20 games like he's after and then see how he gets on, if he's rubbish then well what were the Chelsea hierarchy doing taking my advise on players?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmVBtMkN6CQ

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6992354,00.html

lets go a completely different direction, how about Taarabt at QPR? could easily be gotten for under 10million, wouldnt have to take Lampards place right away, could give him 20 games like he's after and then see how he gets on, if he's rubbish then well what were the Chelsea hierarchy doing taking my advise on players?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmVBtMkN6CQ

I don't think he'd be a bad shout at all. He has played very well anytime I have seen him. I'd say there are questions about his attitude, but ye can say that about an awful lot of players.

There are a fair few creative players on show in the u-21s at the moment and most would be available for 15-20m

Gourlay opens his big gob again!
    (But says the right things - manager soon, develop youth, win things, and interesting comment about the new finanical rules etc)
    Manager search nears end for Chelsea

16 June 2011
    Chelsea are closing on a new manager, according to chief executive Ron Gourlay.
    Italian Carlo Ancelotti was sacked in May after failing to win a trophy last season, just a year after clinching the English Premier League and FA Cup double.
    Manchester United instead claimed their 19th Premier League title, and Gourlay said a new appointment would be the first step in Chelsea's bid to drive themselves back into title-winning territory next season.
    Former caretaker Guus Hiddink - currently in charge of Turkey's national team - is reportedly among the candidates vying for the job.
    "The process on a new coach is going very well," said Gourlay, who was speaking in Bangkok, Thailand on Thursday.
    "I would expect a new coach to hopefully be in place within the next week, two weeks, but maybe even earlier because we are reaching the point now when things either slow down or they pick up again."
    "We need to remain very confident. The club must continue to develop. We must not change our strategy. Our strategy is on the same line. We are looking to bring the youth through. We are looking to engage more with the fans worldwide. We will freshen up the squad."
    Chelsea have been linked with Tottenham midfielder Luka Modric, although reports suggest a 22 million-pound offer has been rejected.
    The Croat is reportedly being chased by several high-profile clubs after Spurs' failure to qualify for the Champions League.
    With UEFA's new financial fair-play rules coming into play, the involvement of several clubs in the competition has been put in doubt.
    But having sewed up their place in the Champions League after their second-placed finish in the 2010/11 campaign, Gourlay said Chelsea will have little trouble complying with the new protocols.
    "I think it's not going to be a problem for Chelsea because it's legislation that's come in and it's not just Chelsea that will be looking at their finances," he said.
    "I'm sure you'll look at other clubs in the Premiership as well as in Italy and Spain and another countries."

One week eh, knowing gourlay that probably means two months:rolleyes:

One week eh, knowing gourlay that probably means two months:rolleyes:

Well, we know its Guus. Its just how quick we can agree compensation with the turkish fa.
    He said it could be days, not even a week

And as coach as well, and DOF

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement