Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11 (mod warning in post #7124)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

smuckers wrote: »
    Agree with that team, I think Ramieres will have to bide his time same with Kakuta.

I thought Ferreria (bar the cross) and Anelka had absolute stinkers.

Anelka was very quite and with Kalou chmping at the bit and Malouda been rested at the weekend and Kakuta looking to make an impact this year, we have 4 good wide men for 2 positions, very healthy competition, also throw in Danny Sturridge, making a potential 5 for 2 places.

Agree with Ferreria, he is our weak link but once we sort out our best back four hopefully he wont play to much.

Its hard to see Ramieres coming straight in, because Mikel is having a great season, he continued on from last year were IMO he played very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Was reading an article on Ancellotti at the weekend.

The writer mentioned his autobiography is a howl and a brilliant read.

Must pick it up but was wondering if anyone has read it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

gavredking wrote: »
    Cech
    Ivanovic Terry Alex Cole
    Mikel
    Esien Lampard
    Anelka Drogba Malouda

Looking at that it's so physically strong and solid, but not a team filled with creativity. However, the team has been maturing for a few years now, so there's an incredible understanding between all the components in midfield and the front 3, so you do get that team unit creativity.

Some of the football I've seen Chelsea play in the past 6 months has been exceptional, they are becoming a unit stronger than the Jose glory years imo. (and that's some achievement, as I rated the 2004 team stronger than Arsenal's invincibles)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

I feel sorry for Zhirkov a very underrated player, would like to see him play on the left in a front 3 but he seems to be only back up for Cole, if he doesn't get games he'll go in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I feel sorry for Zhirkov a very underrated player, would like to see him play on the left in a front 3 but he seems to be only back up for Cole, if he doesn't get games he'll go in the summer

Me too, it must be hard for him knowing the quality that is in front of him in the squad, Malouda and Cole have been pretty much flawless for a good while now so its hard to see where he fits it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Indeed, Yuri was immense when A.Cole was injured last season. Malouda and Cole are fairly "untouchable" at the moment, but I'd love to see him on the right side of a front 3. It could be like the good old days of Duff and Robben.

We are also being linked a good bit with Jesus Navas who I think plays on the left aswell.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Indeed, Yuri was immense when A.Cole was injured last season. Malouda and Cole are fairly "untouchable" at the moment, but I'd love to see him on the right side of a front 3. It could be like the good old days of Duff and Robben.

We are also being linked a good bit with Jesus Navas who I think plays on the left aswell.

Navas i think is very exciting and would be a great addition to any squad.

I too feel a bit for Zhirkov, he would be a regular for most teams but he finds himself behind the best left back in the world and one of the top, top left sided players in the game right at the top of their games.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Looking at that it's so physically strong and solid, but not a team filled with creativity. However, the team has been maturing for a few years now, so there's an incredible understanding between all the components in midfield and the front 3, so you do get that team unit creativity.

Some of the football I've seen Chelsea play in the past 6 months has been exceptional, they are becoming a unit stronger than the Jose glory years imo. (and that's some achievement, as I rated the 2004 team stronger than Arsenal's invincibles)

I agree with ya Eze on the creativity side, we dont have a Cesc or a Kaka or a Sneijider or a Xavi or Iniesta but I think in the premier league and given how we play we dont really need one, we have lampard and essien to link from midfield and although they lack the flair they have the eye for the final pass that may unlock a few defences.

I tihkn our best work is done down the flanks with raiding full backs and support from the wingers and CM's.

I also agree with your statement about Chelsea in the last few months, Carlo has us playing with freedom and a sense of flowing, attacking football that wouldnt have been to widely seen under Jose and I think this team is more complete then our past 2 premier league winning teams.

It truly is a great period to be a Chelsea fan. Im hoping to win Europe in the next 3 years but as any fanof the biggest clubs in Eurpoe will admit, it takes a huge slice of luck and hard work over every game and a lot of teams and players are left with a sense of what "if". Take our own captain, misses a game winning penalty against Man Utd in what I can only describe as one of the worse nights as a Chelsea fan. Id love a Champs League win, as a team that has a Champs League coupled with domestic success can truly be called a power house of the game, weve had good success in Europe, going deep in recent years but that win still evades us.

Hopefully soon though. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Nah, wouldn't get your hopes up mate, we'll be there waiting to knock you out at some stage or another. ;):D

• Advertisement

eZe^ wrote: »
    Nah, wouldn't get your hopes up mate, we'll be there waiting to knock you out at some stage or another. ;):D

:eek:

The way I see it is, ye will play R.Madrid and Jose will knock ye out :P

Leaving us to beat Jose in the final :D

Simple really.

* Dream over ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Chelsea have looked good so far this season, but let's be honest they've yet to meet any decent opposition. It's far too early to be making any judgements just yet tbh. (you can start when you beat Arsenal in October ;) )

greendom wrote: »
    Chelsea have looked good so far this season, but let's be honest they've yet to meet any decent opposition. It's far too early to be making any judgements just yet tbh. (you can start when you beat Arsenal in October ;) )

Been honest, we haven't met a tough team so far, but you can only beat who is put in front of you, im delighted with our start to the season and how we have played, if we keep it up there wont be too many teams able to live with us.

But only time will tell I guess, hope to be back here in May celebrating another title :cool:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I agree with ya Eze on the creativity side, we dont have a Cesc or a Kaka or a Sneijider or a Xavi or Iniesta but I think in the premier league and given how we play we dont really need one, we have lampard and essien to link from midfield and although they lack the flair they have the eye for the final pass that may unlock a few defences.

I tihkn our best work is done down the flanks with raiding full backs and support from the wingers and CM's.

I also agree with your statement about Chelsea in the last few months, Carlo has us playing with freedom and a sense of flowing, attacking football that wouldnt have been to widely seen under Jose and I think this team is more complete then our past 2 premier league winning teams.

It truly is a great period to be a Chelsea fan. Im hoping to win Europe in the next 3 years but as any fanof the biggest clubs in Eurpoe will admit, it takes a huge slice of luck and hard work over every game and a lot of teams and players are left with a sense of what "if". Take our own captain, misses a game winning penalty against Man Utd in what I can only describe as one of the worse nights as a Chelsea fan. Id love a Champs League win, as a team that has a Champs League coupled with domestic success can truly be called a power house of the game, weve had good success in Europe, going deep in recent years but that win still evades us.

Hopefully soon though. :pac:
    Bastards.

Still I'm hopeful that the Arse can push yiz close this year (though I wish we didn't have to go to Stamford Bridge so early in the season, as I feel we'll improve as the season goes on) and United, much to my dismay, just won't ever go away.

Chelsea definitely league favourites although the CL looks incredibly tough to win this year (SKRP Randomar will probably win it now that I've said that).

Bastards.

Still I'm hopeful that the Arse can push yiz close this year (though I wish we didn't have to go to Stamford Bridge so early in the season, as I feel we'll improve as the season goes on) and United, much to my dismay, just won't ever go away.

Chelsea definitely league favourites although the CL looks incredibly tough to win this year (SKRP Randomar will probably win it now that I've said that).

Ive always admired Arsenal's ability to play football, beautiful team to watch, a bit fragile but beautiful. I would much rather see them do well then Man Utd and Arsenal have started well, if they can keep the players fit and fresh then they will be in the title race for the long run.

I think we are favourites for the league, even before a ball was kicked but I agree the CL is a totally different kettle of fish. You need a huge amount of luck to win the CL.

Team news for the game against Zilina.

Lampard is out, A.Cole is going to be rested.

Terry is fit.

• Advertisement

So Zhirkov to get some playing time, pity its not wide in a front 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Nope home to Blackpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think, controversially, that Chelsea's defence is weak :) I think it hasnt been shown yet, but I think long term over the season, unless Alex really steps it up a level, your central defense is quite weak. Ivanovic and Cole are very good full backs imo, but in the middle, you're much weaker without Carvalho.

PHB wrote: »
    I think, controversially, that Chelsea's defence is weak :) I think it hasnt been shown yet, but I think long term over the season, unless Alex really steps it up a level, your central defense is quite weak. Ivanovic and Cole are very good full backs imo, but in the middle, you're much weaker without Carvalho.

We'll see but I think Alex has had a superb start to the season and don't forget we have young Jeffrey Bruma waiting in the wings, for one so young he's such a composed player, Yes Ricy will be a miss but he was on a sliding scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

PHB wrote: »

I would have liked another centre half, but Alex is a very good defender and more than capable. A.Cole is the best left back in the world imo and with a back up of Zhirkov the left side is not a problem. Ivanovic is arguably the best right full in the league who can also do an excellent job in the centre. Ferreira is poor but with Bosingwa coming back hopefully he will get back to his best before his injuries and give Ivanovic something to think about. Terry is still solid but I think is the weak link in our defense. With Bruma and Van Aanholt coming through I think we are strong enough defensively although as I said I wouldn't have said no to another centre half.

When Bos comes back Ivan will be pushed into the centre. Carvalho is probably the smartest defender in the world but there is no denying the fact that he is well past it..

Believe me I would have traded Alex and Terry to keep Carvalho, in Real Madrid's 2 games this season he has been there best player and scored the winner at the weekend.

He was just unlucky with injuries in the last 2 seasons, much like Essien, but i would have been more comfortable with Carvalho at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

bullpost wrote: »
    Was reading an article on Ancellotti at the weekend.

The writer mentioned his autobiography is a howl and a brilliant read.

Must pick it up but was wondering if anyone has read it?

Was reading some of the quotes from the book, sounds hilarious.
    Zhirkov one is the biggest wtf :D
    "There are times when I stand up in front of a full-length mirror and act like a contortionist. I twist my neck and I stare at my ass. My fat butt cheeks aren't a particularly edifying spectacle but… over time it's taught me a lesson: my ass is earthquake-proof."
    On virtually every page there is a self-deprecating gag about Ancelotti's insatiable love of food, the device becoming so prevalent that it is not clear whether he is joking when he writes at one point that "only once in my life have I felt like I needed a psychiatrist … I was looking at Yuri Zhirkov and all I could see was a rib-eye steak."
    [H]e feels awkward when Ferguson invites him for a glass of wine at Old Trafford after a match and then doesn't say a word to him but instead sits down to watch horse racing, leaving Ancelotti to sidle sheepishly away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Killinator

Can anybody here tell me the age limit for a junior ticket to the bridge, not for me but I was planning on bringing a family member over for the Marseille match and have spent ages trying to find the age limit, trawled the CFC website, but still can't find an awnser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Killinator wrote: »
    Can anybody here tell me the age limit for a junior ticket to the bridge, not for me but I was planning on bringing a family member over for the Marseille match and have spent ages trying to find the age limit, trawled the CFC website, but still can't find an awnser.

i believe once you turn 17 you're an adult for chelsea tickets

Yeah, junior is under 16.

Team for tomorrow,

Cech, Ivanovic, Alex, Terry, Zhirkov, Benayoun, Essien, Mikel, Malouda, Anelka and Sturridge.

Looking forward to seeing how Benayoun and Sturridge get on and glad Zhirkov is getting some action.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Happy with that lineup. Have a feeling Sturridge will be on the score sheet.

Hopefully! He has looked very good coming off the bench this season, hoping he takes his opportunity tomorrow, which I'm sure he will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Killinator

growler wrote: »
    i believe once you turn 17 you're an adult for chelsea tickets
    Johner wrote: »

Thanks for that.

• Advertisement

Team for tomorrow,

Cech, Ivanovic, Alex, Terry, Zhirkov, Benayoun, Essien, Mikel, Malouda, Anelka and Sturridge.

Looking forward to seeing how Benayoun and Sturridge get on and glad Zhirkov is getting some action.

Good, strong team, especially at the back, hope we can get off to a winning start and what has the potential to be a very tricky away fixture.

Im going go for 2 - 0 in this one lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

very happy with that line-up!!

im hoping that were ahead by at least 2 goals at half time and then we can rest a few faces and let some of the younger players get game time!!

more kakuta please!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Definitely - would love to see him fulfil his potential.
    LanceStorm wrote: »

more kakuta please!!

I'm expecting this to be a tough place to go like Cluj was a few years ago but I think we will win 1 or 2 nil.

I'm expecting this to be a tough place to go like Cluj was a few years ago but I think we will win 1 or 2 nil.
    Ya im expecting a win but not sure what to make of the opposition, surely at home they have to go for it and try win, to progress in the CL you have to win all your home games and do a job away so if they set up to win games at home they could leave themselves open at the back.

That said I dont expect them to park the bus at home, maybe at the Bridge but Id expect them to play conservative at home against us and try hit us on the break, heres hoping they play expansive though and allow us some liberities. :pac:

Amen to the Kakuta statement, he has the potential now all he needs is the game time. With Drogba, Lamps and Cole all out we have 3 very good replacements,hope we can get the job done early but i wont be sweating unless we go a goal down, then we might see a prking of the bus :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

According to Sky Sports News via their Twitter this morning, it was Drogba who convinced Tiote to sign for ourselves during the summer.

If he turns out to be shoite there will be feckin' war. :)

Who in gods name is Tiote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

A young Ivorian lad who Drogba told to try his luck in the English League, he signed for Newcastle during the Summer from FC Twente, that or he shunned FC for a contract at Newcastle, not sure.

Carlotti won Barclay's Manager of the Month for August.

62904_435406382258_86037497258_4959597_5787235_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

Handy away win again tonight - anyone else worried that we might find it tricky stepping up to top gear ... we've cruised so easily through these first 5 fixtures, its probably just as well we have City (not yet firing) before we meet Arsenal. Finding it hard to judge if we're as good this season as our results make us look. The next 3 weeks will be very interesting! The squad looks stronger than ever - with so much quality on standby for every position, it has the making of a very special season.

• Advertisement

Good 4 - 1 victory last night. Anelka looked sharp, making good runs and got 2 goals, 1 a great strike, low and away from the keeper and another a 1 yard wonder strike after JT hit the bar from a corner. :)

Essien played very well again, boy am I glad he is back and fully fit, what an extra dimension tthat guy really is for us. Good goal too he got and his overall play was generally good, breaking up play and getting around the pitch.

Sturridge, looked good in patches, a few passes went a stray and some of his runs with the ball led him nowhere at all but he showed a great awareness to find the soace in behind to get his goal.

Yossi played well i thought, I think he operates better from the central position and used his possesion well.

Zhirkov started shaky and got into, played decent.

Overall a good result 4 goals after 49 minutes and we crusied the last 40 minutes. We will have tougher games ahead ad I think we look good to go unbeaten for a few more games.

I really want to do Man City, they beat us home and away last year and I really want to make up for at least one of those results and beat City in their back yard this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Not chelsea news but -
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/9003331.stm

Very stupid thing for Arsene Wenger to say ...

just cos they beat some crappy team 6-0 "we will win the CL"...
    So I guess we have won the league cos we beat Wigan 6-0 away ?

Honestly that guy deserves the stick he gets with the crap he comes out with..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

the_monkey wrote: »
    Not chelsea news but -

What was stupid about this
    "We believe when we play like that it will be very hard to stop us.

"What is important is that we keep our humility and our concentration and then we will have a chance of success."

The crap comes when people twist what he says. Just where does he say we will win the CL?

the_monkey wrote: »
    Not chelsea news but -

He is entitled his opinions TBH. Arsenal would have ambitions to win the CL, lets face it they have a team good enough to win it anyway. Also Wenger never said they would win it, just that they would be tough to play wint hey play their game and when they are at their best, which is true, they are a class act and will run us close this year I think.

My main gripe with Wenger is hes a smart bloke, a very smart bloke but he tends to have a bit of a reality lose every now and again, wether it be the FA out to get him or every opposition player out to break an Arsenal players leg.

If your taking out of that attached article that he is saying they will win the CL you should read again, just saying they wil be tough to beat.

Although an Arsenal v Chelsea final at Wembley would be sweet and for JT to lift the CL, one can only dream. At this stage I have about 3 teams id like to beat in the final :pac: but id just be happy winning the bloody trophy at this stage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

Wonder if Boswingwa will play tonight for reserves. On CTV this evening v Newcastle. Should see Conor Clifford.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Good 4 - 1 victory last night. Anelka looked sharp, making good runs and got 2 goals, 1 a great strike, low and away from the keeper and another a 1 yard wonder strike after JT hit the bar from a corner. :)

Essien played very well again, boy am I glad he is back and fully fit, what an extra dimension tthat guy really is for us. Good goal too he got and his overall play was generally good, breaking up play and getting around the pitch.

Sturridge, looked good in patches, a few passes went a stray and some of his runs with the ball led him nowhere at all but he showed a great awareness to find the soace in behind to get his goal.

Yossi played well i thought, I think he operates better from the central position and used his possesion well.

Zhirkov started shaky and got into, played decent.

Overall a good result 4 goals after 49 minutes and we crusied the last 40 minutes. We will have tougher games ahead ad I think we look good to go unbeaten for a few more games.

I really want to do Man City, they beat us home and away last year and I really want to make up for at least one of those results and beat City in their back yard this year.

Jesus I would love us to give Man City a good going over ! That said I would take a scrappy 0-1 victory .

I think the City game will be a bit of a barometer on how are season will go , we were very complacent both times we played them last season and they were the better team by a long shot on both occasions.

Saying that , there seems to be a lot more about us this year !!!

• Advertisement

Suprised Clifford hasn't broken into first team as of yet

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Suprised Clifford hasn't broken into first team as of yet

He only stepped up to reserves last season, so plenty of time yet. Another year in the reserves will do him the world of good.

Yeah he was still in the youths last year, plenty of time for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Although an Arsenal v Chelsea final at Wembley would be sweet and for JT to lift the CL, one can only dream. At this stage I have about 3 teams id like to beat in the final :pac: but id just be happy winning the bloody trophy at this stage :)

Yeah have to say that would probably be my dream Champions league final as well but of course a different result. Would be sweet to be the first London Club to lift the Champions league in London against a London club.

Of course beating Spurs would be great as well or even reenacting revenge on Barcelona in the final as well. Sure a long long season ahead anyway. Of course Im not gonna get carried away after one match though.

Yeah have to say that would probably be my dream Champions league final as well but of course a different result. Would be sweet to be the first London Club to lift the Champions league in London against a London club.

Of course beating Spurs would be great as well or even reenacting revenge on Barcelona in the final as well. Sure a long long season ahead anyway. Of course Im not gonna get carried away after one match though.

Would love to meet ye in the final mate, I think it would be a great match up. Cant wait to play ye this season, I mean this with the upmost respect for your your team though. I think Arsenal are a fantastic team and I hope ye do well this year, just not as well as us of course :P

An all London final in London would be just epic, words couldnt describe it. Dont worry about Spuds, they wont make it that far :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement