Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11 (mod warning in post #7124)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Cech
    Ivanovich Alex Terry Ashley

Mikel
    Benayoun Malouda

Kalou Drogs Anelka
    Kakuta, McEachran, Ramieres to all feature 60mins +

Cheers Carlo!

What about Essien.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

1 Petr Cech
    19 Paulo Ferreira
    2 Branislav Ivanovic
    33 Alex
    3 Ashley Cole
    5 Michael Essien
    12 John Mikel Obi
    7 Ramires
    21 Salomon Kalou
    11 Didier Drogba
    15 Florent Malouda

Subs: 22 Ross Turnbull, 18 Yury Zhirkov, 43 Jeffrey Bruma, 10 Yossi Benayoun 44 Gael Kakuta, 23 Daniel Sturridge, 39 Nicolas Anelka.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

A good start was important but now the season well and truly begins.

Can't wait for next week! Don't have to work Saturday so might heading over. Need a ticket though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Lukker- wrote: »
    A good start was important but now the season well and truly begins.

Yes the fixture list was very kind to you guys. Almost gave you an extra 5 pre-season matches - 15 points and no injuries; it's a dream start.

greendom wrote: »
    Yes the fixture list was very kind to you guys. Almost gave you an extra 5 pre-season matches - 15 points and no injuries; it's a dream start.

I guess you didn't watch our pre-season. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Johner wrote: »
    I guess you didn't watch our pre-season. ;)

Good point - just as well the fixture list was so kind !

True! At least we bettered our results from those fixtures from last season. Perfect start for us but it was to be expected with the fixture list.

Just a note on Mikel, he has the highest passing accuracy in the EPL

• Advertisement

Mikel looks a different player this season, looks very confident on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Good result pretty much gave up playing in the second half and ruined the game as a spectacle. Good confidence and in a strong position going in the city and arsenal games in the next two weeks.

One thing I do think is that the Carling Cup is imperative for us this season if we are to give our fringe and young players significant game time in a competitive environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Mikel looks a different player this season, looks very confident on the ball.

Prob helped by the return of Essien ? How has he been looking ??

Drumpot wrote: »
    Prob helped by the return of Essien ? How has he been looking ??

Essien has been brilliant, it really is like a new signing. He's a powerhouse, he can tackle,pass,shoot and would probably walk into any team in the world. really hope he stays injury free this season.

Team for Wednesday perhaps?

Turnbull
    Ferriera--Bruma--Alex---Zhirkov
    Ramires

Lampard--Yossi
    Sturridge
    Kakuta
    Anelka

Not too bothered with the result just a decent performance would be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Essien has been brilliant, it really is like a new signing. He's a powerhouse, he can tackle,pass,shoot and would probably walk into any team in the world. really hope he stays injury free this season.

The one player in the world I would choose if we could take anybody from any team ! ! Superb player . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Our whole midfield today was excellent, thought there was too much showboating in second half tho.
    Kakuta Sturridge Bruma and Van Annolt all starting wed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Just seen the highlights there, was listening to the game on the radio today. Jaysus we looked good in the first half, have to say fair play to Blackpool for coming out in the second half and giving it a lash, they had a few chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Yeah happy , I got a bit greedy though at HT, I thought we would get another 3 or 4 in the second half ... but of course would have said yes to 4-0 at the beginning especially after Arsenal dropped points yesterday.

Good weekend for footie really , a pity Man U and the Nazis won , but we can't have a perfect weekend now can we ?

:)

Carlos English has really improved, amazed at some of the interviews lately, a lot better then Capellos for sure ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

the Nazis????

they lost, it was all over long ago tbh.

First game against a semi decent team next week isnt it? hope the team isnt complacent

kryogen wrote: »
    the Nazis????

they lost, it was all over long ago tbh.

First game against a semi decent team next week isnt it? hope the team isnt complacent

:rolleyes:

the_monkey wrote: »
    and the Nazis won

What?! Has someone told Churchill and the gang?!
    Those guys are sooo going to be pissshed off!!!:D

:rolleyes:

jesus, i came here for a bit of banter and the most annoying little **** of a smilie is the first responce. i miss CHD, this place used to be fun

the Nazis????

Sure we wouldn't be letting the likes of Everton or Liverpool get back into the game once we get a goal or two ahead, ahhh no!!:D:D

I'm looking forward to seeing what we can do against the City boys, hopefully Lampard and Terry will be back, although starting places are being battled for in nearly every position, which is great to see. The rotation of a few players every now and then is working well so far.

The squad at Chelsea is truly impressive, the only thing i can hope for is that the amount of games ye will play have an effect on the older members, but there are so many players capable of stepping in i wont hold my breath

papagormo wrote: »
    Sure we wouldn't be letting the likes of Everton or Liverpool get back into the game once we get a goal or two ahead, ahhh no!!:D:D

I'm looking forward to seeing what we can do against the City boys, hopefully Lampard and Terry will be back, although starting places are being battled for in nearly every position, which is great to see. The rotation of a few players every now and then is working well so far.

I agree about rotation and it's going to be a long season and we will need to utilize our full squad when we are challenging on all four fronts.

But that said as Drogba said being captain today was a massive honour but he'd prefer to be playing alongside Lampard and Terry.

jesus, i came here for a bit of banter and the most annoying little **** of a smilie is the first responce. i miss CHD, this place used to be fun

Not another Chelsea haven't played anyone decent yet post, was just becoming a bit tiresome is all. We all know the real test starts next week at City and the first five fixtures were kind to us but we have done a pretty impressive job disposing of those teams. We lost to Wigan away last season and drew at West Ham, so to get two wins at those grounds this season was pretty pleasing when compared to last season. Should be a good game next week, I'm pretty confident of getting at result at Eastlands anyway, I think City are a bit weak in defense and I'm hoping we can exploit that.

The squad at Chelsea is truly impressive, the only thing i can hope for is that the amount of games ye will play have an effect on the older members, but there are so many players capable of stepping in i wont hold my breath

Yeah, we have real strength in depth, Benayoun and Ramires are very good additions, really like the look of Ramires he seems to be settling in quickly and Benayoun has made a good start as well when given the chance. The likes of Mikel and Kalou are seemingly filling their potential as well.

Essien coming back is huge for us, the man is truly a world class player and brings so much to the team. I think we are in a much better position squad wise this year, also we have a lot of young talent coming through which really helps.

• Advertisement

Drogba at the start. :D then the Mikel nuts on Drogba. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

In fairness Kryogen, we all miss CHD around here... At least I have the joys of listening to his mad rants in real life!!!:D Quite the legend, in fairness.

But it is a serious test of whatever mettle Chelsea have next week; Man City were the only side last season to do the double over Chelsea (a 2-1 defeat at Eastlands, followed by a humiliating 4-2 thrashing in the Bridge) and do still pose a massive threat going forward. I would take absolutely nothing for granted here and would treat this game with the same respect and determination as I would a game against Manchester United or Arsenal.

Chelsea have had the most perfect opening to the campaign that they could hope for, with all the results so far having gone their way nicely and results elsewhere also being mostly in their favour.

But Man City are most definitely a team to watch out for, as they are most definitely going to be going hell for leather to capture a Champions League spot this season, and it will most likely come at the expense of Spurs, who have been fairly so-so this season so far; that said, Man City haven't been lighting the place up either.

The Carling Cup fixture midweek should be a good opportunity to blood some of the young guns; I'd love to see Borini getting a run out too. The focus at the moment should be firmly set upon the Premier League games. Man City and then Arsenal in quick succession... 4 points is the absolute bare minimum that must be taken from these games.

Chelsea are, however, the most in-form team in the league; 15 points from 15, only one goal conceded and a +20 goal difference and all the time playing excellent football with great attacking flair. Confidence will be at a high and hopefully that will translate into positive results against the bigger teams in the big, Super Sunday games of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Its the old cliche, but it is really a long, long season. Myselfg a nd a few Utd and Liverpool fans went watching Super Sunday and the Utd lads agreed at 2 - 2 against the Pool that it was a game they had to win to stay in touch.

I thought it was a tad over reacting after 5 games.

Back to the point above, I think we have a stronger squad now then when Jose won back to back leagues and I think we have a great chance to retain the title this year.

The return of Essien, he was a huge lose for us, last year it didnt cost us a league but his presence in the big CL games, point in case against Inter I believe he would have added the steel in our midfield and it might have turned out differently. He has showed this season that hes back and if he avoids another injury free season he could hit 10 - 15 goals in all competitions which would help.

I think we can win the league again, not trying tempt faith or be arrogant and all but we look good, but as I said above we will see in May.

I really want to win a CL, easier said then done but this team is better then the team that lost to United in Moscow and I think for a few of the squad it could be there last time to win it, I hope this squad does it this year and I think Carlo is more then good enough to lead us there, 2 Cl as a player and 2 as manager he has the experience and coaching ability.

Long season though lads, long season :D

How can anbody not like this man. :)
    ESSIEN: AN AMBASSADOR FOR PEACE
    Posted on: Tue 21 Sep 2010

Michael Essien has been playing an ambassador's role with the goal of uniting the African continent through football on Peace Day 2010, which is today (Tuesday).

Communities from across Africa have been taking part and joining in the spirit of Peace Day, with community-led football matches uniting young and old with the aim of promoting and contributing to conflict resolution and peace building on the continent.

The Michael Essien Foundation (MEF), funded by our number 5, aims to create opportunities and hope for the underprivileged in the footballer's hometown of Awutu Breku and other areas of Ghana.

The MEF and Essien himself have been helping inspire people into action across Ghana and Africa as a whole. Essien was appointed Peace Ambassador 2010 by the African Union to help encourage fellow Africans to take part in Peace Day 2010.

Peace Day calls for 24 hours of non-violence across the continent, allowing those in conflict zones to receive vital food, water, mosquito nets and other emergency supplies, as well as providing a strong message for the promotion of lasting peace in Africa. At 10am GMT, a minute's silence was held for peace across Africa.

Peace Day is part of the Year of Peace and Security in Africa, which is a programme of education, awareness-raising and empowerment and will continue beyond 2010.

Peace Ambassadors including Essien have been lending their voices and faces to the Make Peace Happen campaign, helping African Union to connect with ordinary Africans.

Sport, in particular football, has a powerful unifying quality, and encourages teamwork and cooperation skills and Essien has helped massively with the Make Peace Happen campaign.

Peace Day has six main objectives during its 24 hours, which are:

1. People to stop fighting and violence of all kinds.

2. The Distribution of humanitarian supplies, materials and services to communities in conflict areas, as well as in non-conflict areas in critical need of these.

3. A one minute of silence for peace across Africa at 10.00am GMT.

4. Relevant developmental work and community support in all AU Member States to be carried out by members of the armed and security forces.

5. One Day One Goal football games across Africa.

6. Make Peace Happen Lesson Plan to be taught in all schools on Peace Day or during other relevant occasions.

There will be an array of programmes following on from Peace Day, when it is hoped all Africans experience peace simultaneously.

Information on upcoming activities by Ambassador Michael Essien will be available at www.michaelessiengh.com, and further information on the Year of Peace and Security in Africa can be found at www.makepeacehappen.net

Also Home and Away with Ramires. He seems to have settled in well so far.

HOME AND AWAY: RAMIRES
    Posted on: Mon 20 Sep 2010

The new boy in Chelsea's midfield has been adjusting quickly to life in west London and the Premier League...

HOME

How do things work at Cobham for you?
    Talking wise I talk to a lot of the Portuguese speaking players, and in the dressing room I sit next to Daniel Sturridge and Jeffrey Bruma, they are both very calm and tranquil.

Which of your team-mates impressed you this weekend?
    The whole team was impressive, but when I try to watch a game I try to focus on the players in my position so that I can learn more and see how they work on the pitch. Lately I have been very impressed with Essien, Mikel and Lampard.

What did you notice about your first match at Stamford Bridge?
    To play every game in a stadium like that is a motivation, I was so impressed with the fans supporting their teams.

What's the most memorable dressing down you've experienced at half-time?
    When I arrived at Cruzeiro, my team in Brazil before Benfica, it was only one week and things hadn't been going well. The assistant manager decided to have a meeting, and everyone was told off, with lots of shouting!

What is 'home' for you?
    When I think of this word I think of family, friends and holidays, anywhere where you have people that care for you. Whether you are performing or not you always have these people beside you.

How is the search for a home?
    I found an apartment in London already, and I will be near to Alex.

AWAY

Which other sports do you like watching on TV?
    Tennis and golf, though I don't understand it very well but I am watching and learning a bit more.

Any famous friends outside of football?
    No, I don't think so.

How much of London have you seen so far?
    On my first day off I did a tour to see all the main attractions. Not on a big bus no! I was in a van and the driver drove me around, and let me out at places, so I saw Big Ben, the London Eye and Buckingham Palace.

What is your favourite place to escape from it all?
    I like to be at home with my wife and my baby boy, who is five months old.

Also Home and Away with Ramires. He seems to have settled in well so far.

Good to see, he seems to have taken the pace of the EPL, but I think when he plays a bit more games we will see the more box to box type player he is so highly regarded as shine through and training with some of the best CM players in the world he will only improve, good signing.

• Advertisement

ANCELOTTI: THE YOUNG ONES WILL PLAY
    Posted on: Tue 21 Sep 2010

Carlo Ancelotti will give some of his youngsters the chance to prove themselves against Newcastle United in Wednesday's Carling Cup third round tie at Stamford Bridge.

The manager confirmed four of his emerging talents - Jeffrey Bruma, Gael Kakuta, Daniel Sturridge and Patrick van Aanholt - will start against the Magpies as he rests a number of his established names with big Premier League and European tests to come over the next two weeks.

'It is a good experience for them to play this kind of game. They are involved this season more compared to last season and when there is an opportunity I want to give them the opportunity to play and show their quality.'

Despite the club's ambition to win all four competitions we are involved in, Ancelotti feels there will be plenty of opportunities through the season to involve the younger players and give them much-needed exposure to first-team football.

'They were involved in the last games, Sturridge played in the Champions League, Kakuta played two games, Bruma played in the last game against Blackpool and they will get more opportunities to play,' he confirmed.

'The Academy did a good job in the last years and now we have the young players ready to play in our squad. Obviously against Newcastle it is important to win to maintain a good atmosphere here but the most important thing is that these players can show their quality for the team.'

While the young lads will want to take their opportunity for a run out, others will be making the most of a night off. Ancelotti has confirmed Ross Turnbull will replace Petr Cech in goal, while Ashley Cole, John Mikel Obi, Michael Essien and Didier Drogba will all be rested.

'Some players we had involved in the last games and I will give them a rest to prepare well for the next games,' said the Italian, thinking of Manchester City at the weekend, followed by Marseille in the Champions League and Arsenal next Sunday.

One key figure is likely to return however, while another's enforced absence continues.

'JT is fit to play and maybe can play tomorrow for 45 minutes which could help Bruma, but Lampard is not available,' he said.

Good to see them lads getting a chance. Really looking forward to see Kakuta from the start.

Good to see them lads getting a chance. Really looking forward to see Kakuta from the start.

After watching a few of the Arsenal youngsters last night, I think we should use this competition to blood some of the youngsters and make sure they get some good competitive minutes under their belts.

A possible team of

Turnbull

Zhirkov
    Bruma
    Van Aanholt
    Terry (maybe according to Carlo)

Ramieres
    Yossi
    Josh Mc

Sturridge
    Kakuta
    Borini

I think the above team would have a goosd chance, there is a good mix of youth and experience that could see us get a result.

Not a bad looking B team there, although I'd say Kalou and Anelka might be included to add a bit of steel to the team. Maybe if we knock in a goal or two and look comfortable, he might then throw on a few more younger members.

Turnbull
    Bruma---Terry---Van Aanholt---Zhirkov
    Ramieres
    --Kalou/Josh
    Yossi
    Kakuta
    Sturridge
    Anelka

Edit:
    Just after seeing this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

In fairness, I can never see the point in a team like Chelsea fielding anything other than a team of kids/reserves in the Carling Cup. Man Utd and Arsenal have been doing it for years, and it gives the so-called 'also ran' players a good run out in first team football.

If it was up to me, I'd have no first team regs starting at all; it would all be reserves or kids or possibly even first team squad members who rarely get a start.

It's good to see that some of the kids from the Academy are finally getting a run.

DazMarz wrote: »
    In fairness, I can never see the point in a team like Chelsea fielding anything other than a team of kids/reserves in the Carling Cup. Man Utd and Arsenal have been doing it for years, and it gives the so-called 'also ran' players a good run out in first team football.

If it was up to me, I'd have no first team regs starting at all; it would all be reserves or kids or possibly even first team squad members who rarely get a start.

It's good to see that some of the kids from the Academy are finally getting a run.

Agree with ya Daz, its one of the few times we can try the young guys out, and usually against decent opposition, hope we can go on a run in it, we could play the young guys and the nearly there's from the 1st team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

looking forward to seeing more of Kakuta, have high hopes for him.

Boswinga played 55 minutes for the reserves.

Hopefully he can get back to full fitness, would love to have him back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Turnbull,
    PF,
    Bruma
    JT,
    VanA,
    Ramires,
    Benny,
    Zhirkov,
    Kakuta
    Anelka
    & Studge

Darr! I was so close with my prediction, didn't even think of Paulo!
    Good to see Yuri getting out of the full back position, hopefully he can preform alongside Yossi and Ramieres.
    Not a bad aul team, good blend of youth and expericence, with a bit of luck we get a goal or two early on and take control of the game, and then let the other younger players get a look in for the final 20mins or so.
    Kamon the blues!:)

Disappointing stuff tonight.

McEachran was brilliant when he came on though and Anelka did his best to get us back into it.

Dissapointed with the injuries.

Not to bothered about the CC.

I reckon Carlo was planning on starting Kalou against City thats why Anelka started. Anelka was probably going to be subbed at around 60 mins but instead had to play the 90 with a large portion of the game with 10 men.

Anyway I hope they're not too serious. but I'd say Kalou is out for a few weeks.

Kalou has been in cracking form alright, hopefully he will be back soon.

Team for Saturday should be along these lines providing Lampard is back.

Cech
    -Ivan--JT--Alex--Cole
    Mikel
    ---Essien---Lampard/Ramires
    Anelka--Drogba--Malouda

Really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Drogba, I'm afraid the quadruple is beyond our Chelsea this season

Not assed tbh, more worried about injuries then anything.

Worried about city, think id be happy with a draw tbh...

the_monkey wrote: »
    Not assed tbh, more worried about injuries then anything.

Worried about city, think id be happy with a draw tbh...

They are defensively fairly tight (they play 3 DM's afterall).

But I'm fairly confident we can get a result there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement