Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11 (mod warning in post #7124)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

United drawing and Arsenal losing softens the blow a little bit.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Ramires still needs time to adjust. I'm sure Ancelotti would have liked to have eased him into it a bit more, rather than throwing him in at the deep end, but because of Lampards injury he didn't really have an option. From what I've seen of him he will be a great player for us. It will just take time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Not bad still being 3 points ahead while having one of your toughest away fixtures out of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

A major flood warning has been issued across Britain and Ireland due to thousands of bookmakers pissing themselves laughing...

Seriously, how many accumulators and even single bets got shagged sideways between today and yesterday??? Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool and Spurs all slipping up... Man, great day for the bookie.

I realise that Chelsea's game was the one most in the balance, but good God... Arsenal should have hopped off West Brom, ditto Spurs at West Ham, ditto United at Bolton. Liverpool... well, at least they're consistent...

Man United probably had their best day without kicking a football ever on Saturday... and then blew it themselves by actually playing a game on Sunday!!!

Chelsea were blessed by the result today. Even though we lost, it has not been a complete disaster of a weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Indeed, was delighted to see united drawing, still a good result for united,
    they gained a point on us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Freaked about Saturday, not so much now that Utd drew and Arsenal lost.

That out of the way, i think the game Saturday didnt reflect how good we played, in patches, frist off what was Drogba playing at, he might as well have been sitting in my front room as he was very ineffective and what I dont get is why is our 6ft 2inch forward who is arguably our best header of a ball taking all our corners and set plays from 35+yeards out?

Alex shoudl have scored and Ivanovic was unlucky, credit to City but they played like an away team, very defensive and negative and caught us on the break, no complaints about the goal but I think a draw was a fair result, either way Arsenal and Utd both slipped up so im not to pushed about it now. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

gavredking wrote: »
    .....what I dont get is why is our 6ft 2inch forward who is arguably our best header of a ball taking all our corners and set plays from 35+yeards out?....

Hurry up and come back Frank :(

Essien wrote: »
    Hurry up and come back Frank :(

I agree, but also we have Malouda who can easily swing in a corner and isnt the same threat as Drogba from corners and indirect free kicks, its so frustrating to watch because of how good Drogba is in the air, does anyone remember his 1st goal against Wigan last year, last game of the season, the towering header at the back post when he took out a defender and powered the ball home at the fromt post, typical Drogba and not many players could do that and now we have him taking free kicks and corners playing balls in that he should be on the end of. Totall makes me :confused:

Drogba does have excellent delivery but I agree he should be in the box for them. I just don't really get it either.

Johner wrote: »
    Drogba does have excellent delivery but I agree he should be in the box for them. I just don't really get it either.

Agree Johner, he has a great right leg and his set pieces are very good but there is no excuse in taking away one of your threats inside the box if hes only going be playing into the box instead of shooting. Pointless IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Totally agree with the point about Drogba , you want that man in the box causing mayhem , even if he does not get on the ball you know at least 2 or 3 opposing players will have there eye on him because he is such threat leaving another player to sneak in and take the goal.

Id love to see Josh get a start over Ramieres on tuesday night , I think it will take Ramieres the best part of the season to get used to the pace and physicality of the EPL where young Josh looks like he has played in it all his life, in effect I suppose thats true as it was the type of football culture he was brought up and trained in. He is starting him from the bench but I think this could of been a huge stage for him.

I was a bit disappointed with the game on Saturday , we lacked a bit of spark when we came up against a solid City defense , Dont think AC could of done much more for the goal , got in the way stood his ground only for Mr Tevez to hit a peach through his legs !

Im off over to the Arsenal game on Sunday , is anyone else heading over ? Im kinda confident of us giving them a good ol seeing to on Sunday .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Nico to lead the line with Carlo to decide between Kakuta or Sturridge to parter him and Malouda, I hope its Gael as Sturridge is not playing well at the mo.
    Lamps still out, Josh will be on bench

Totally agree with the point about Drogba , you want that man in the box causing mayhem , even if he does not get on the ball you know at least 2 or 3 opposing players will have there eye on him because he is such threat leaving another player to sneak in and take the goal.

Id love to see Josh get a start over Ramieres on tuesday night , I think it will take Ramieres the best part of the season to get used to the pace and physicality of the EPL where young Josh looks like he has played in it all his life, in effect I suppose thats true as it was the type of football culture he was brought up and trained in. He is starting him from the bench but I think this could of been a huge stage for him.

I was a bit disappointed with the game on Saturday , we lacked a bit of spark when we came up against a solid City defense , Dont think AC could of done much more for the goal , got in the way stood his ground only for Mr Tevez to hit a peach through his legs !

Im off over to the Arsenal game on Sunday , is anyone else heading over ? Im kinda confident of us giving them a good ol seeing to on Sunday .

Few things, totally agree about Drogba's presence in the box, its more of a threat even if he doesnt get onthe end of it.

Josh looks good but he has yet to be proven at this level, he needs games and should play more of the lesser games or given ,more time in them but Ramieres was bought after a few good years in Brazil and then 2 good seasons in Portugal, he will be good but needs more games too.

Cant blame anyone for the City goal, not even Ramieres, yes he was caught on the ball but City still had to travel 70 yards to score and we were just caught, City never looked like scoring until they did, we offered more of a threat but back to the City goal, cant blame Cole, he recognised that Terry had Silva and he had Tevez, he stood him up all the way, faced him and had good positioning, Tevez hit a great shot that no keeper would have got to.

Arsenal, always a dodgy game, if the Arsenal that played West Brom turn up I pity them if its the Arsenal that can defend and be steely in their play it will be a good game, I reckon we will win it though. Good luck going over buddy.

smuckers wrote: »
    Nico to lead the line with Carlo to decide between Kakuta or Sturridge to parter him and Malouda, I hope its Gael as Sturridge is not playing well at the mo.
    Lamps still out, Josh will be on bench

Decent setup, hopefully we can get a win over there and have a great start to the CL.

Id like to go with Kakuta but I think hes going go for Sturridge as Kakuta seems to offer alot coming form the bench, but it would be good to see him get 90 minutes and have time to get into a game fully.

Midfield and back 5 picks itself due to the current injury list and suspension, If like to see Zhirkov given a game, maybe throw him in CM with Essien instead of Ramieres or put him up top and drop Malouda into midfield with Essien.

Just a thought, doubt Carlo will go with it though, feel sorry for Zhirkov, hes a top quality player.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

Extraordinary decision again - to voluntarily go down to 10 men. For anyone not watching reserves - 2 substitutions made at half time (1 earlier than that - enforced. Then on the 70th min, Boswingwa walks off having played his agreed 70 mins. Strange ... maybe a bit unfortunate, as Mellis subbed though not injured is in squad for CL game. Thankfully we're 3-1 up. It is the bindippers after all!

ps. Boswingwa looking good. went into a few challenges . All well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Extraordinary decision again - to voluntarily go down to 10 men. For anyone not watching reserves - 2 substitutions made at half time (1 earlier than that - enforced. Then on the 70th min, Boswingwa walks off having played his agreed 70 mins. Strange ... maybe a bit unfortunate, as Mellis subbed though not injured is in squad for CL game. Thankfully we're 3-1 up. It is the bindippers after all!

ps. Boswingwa looking good. went into a few challenges . All well.

I was going to ask when we might see him bombing down the wing again !

Lampard expected not to be fit for Sunday.

I wonder... Lampard has been out for a long time... How bad is this injury...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Evening gents,
    Dagans about Lampard, but its better that he is fully recovered and raring to go rather than nearly there and risk causing more damage.
    Think we should be OK against Arsenal without him, provided there's no more injuries.

• Advertisement

I'll be on Drogba 1st/anytime scorer anyway! He loves playing against Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Johner wrote: »
    I'll be on Drogba 1st/anytime scorer anyway! He loves playing against Arsenal.

Will be doing the same buddy!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Fabianski in goal, Vermaelen possibly out, Fabregas likely out, van Persie out, Song and Diaby playing like clowns... yep, I'll be captaining Drogba in FF.

papagormo wrote: »
    Dagans about Lampard

huh ? Dagans ?

DazMarz wrote: »
    I wonder... Lampard has been out for a long time... How bad is this injury...:(

Hopefully nothing to serious, and at least they are dealing with it now rather then leaving it effect us later in the season, hopefully Lamps will be back, fully fit and back to his old self, banging in 20 + goals this season :cool:

Wahey the match is on TV3 tonight. :)

Spartak currently 1-0 up at half time against Zilina.

• Advertisement

Cech, Ivan, Terry, Alex, Cole, Mikel, Essien, Zhirkov, Malouda, Anelka, Kakuta

Subs: Turnbull, Ramires, Ferreira, Sturridge, Van Aanholt, Bruma, McEachran

Hopefully Kakuta will take this opportunity and impress.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

Hopefully Gonzo! Exciting attacking team. Get back on track and get them talking Gael. Perform well, get more regukar starts and sign that new contract!! Looking forward to this now ... usually left cold by these group games ... and in fairness we dont usually put on much of a show. Hopefully tonight a bit special!

Bloody Tv3, talking about a "mini crisis" at Chelsea, what a load of crap......

whohoo!
    The nerves are kicking in, think we have the beating of them though. Very attack minded team sent out, lets hope we are entertained!
    KAMON THE BLUES!

• Advertisement

Get in JT!

And the captain steps up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

How did that go in, nice one JT. Good pace and passing so far looking strong.

What a penalty

Malouda is playing an absolute blinder.
    Hope this form continues into the Arsenal game.

Nice and easy so far! Can't wait for McEachran to hopefully come on at some point. Loving Anelkas cheeky penos!

2-0 HT, bit of a stroll out there. Marseille have looked very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Just saw the peno. Exquisite.

All Marseille this half.

Unlucky from Alex

• Advertisement

Carlo must have hit the snooze button at half time.
    Different game compared to the first half.

papagormo wrote: »
    Carlo must have hit the snooze button at half time.
    Different game compared to the first half.

maybe cos i started watching it .... :rolleyes:

Essien had a few nice chances there, did he have a good 1st half?

As much as Chelsea switched off big time in the second half, there were still 4 very clear chances that fell to Chelsea and Marseille never truly threatened to break through. It's against a bigger and better side that a switch off could cost you dearly.

Happy enough with this result, even if the game was a bit dire at times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

any link to the Anelka penalty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Kakuta was disappointing, seemed a tad too defensive, but 6 points is all that matters

the_monkey wrote: »
    any link to the Anelka penalty

<snip>

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

How solid is Ivanovic, it's just not natural! :D Kakuta was quiet not many chances though, Essien really is like a new signing this season, controls games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

smuckers wrote: »
    Kakuta was disappointing, seemed a tad too defensive, but 6 points is all that matters

He needs to learn to be more patient and do the simple things right, he seems to like trying fancy flicks and stuff when there's just no need.

Overall I wasn't hugely impressed with the performance. We got a soft goal from a very poor corner and the pen was just silly on the part of the defender. We gave away the ball far too cheaply in most areas and if we do it against a better team we'll be crucified.

However, a win is a win is a win and you can't argue with 6 points from 2 games.

• Advertisement

I think that the performance earlier was so poor, because the players simply knew that (after 20-odd minutes when they were 2-0 up) that they could get away with it and do as they pleased. In fairness, Marseille offered very, very little in going forward.

Marseille's shots were either miles wide or were handled deftly by Cech. Marseille's passing and decision making was incredibly poor at all stages.

Had Marseille been more clinical, the result could most definitely gone against Chelsea. Chelsea's poor passing and lack of effort in the second half would most likely not have occurred against better opposition. The players wearing blue tonight knew they could "get away" with playing less than their best thanks to the poor opposition presented to them.

Arsenal on Sunday will be a much different proposition; extreme caution must be exercised in dealing with the stronger opposition.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement