Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11 (mod warning in post #7124)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Poor second half display against a team that never made us get out of 2nd or 3rd gear, when we stepped it up in the 2nd half we had 3 get chances, 2 for Essien and 1 for Sturridge, I thought Zhirkokv and Kakuta looked ok, nothing to special from either. Main thing is we have 6 points going into our double header against Spartak and that we have no injury concerns from last night for a huge game Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I thought Zhirkov was poor enough and Kakuta tried to impress too much.

Arsenal on Sunday should be a cracker, can't wait for it.

Johner wrote: »
    I thought Zhirkov was poor enough and Kakuta tried to impress too much.

Arsenal on Sunday should be a cracker, can't wait for it.

I dont think Yuri will get to many more chances though and I feel his time is up at the club, if he wants regular football he wont get it here anyway.

Kakuta, looks the part, he just needs to get into the game more, himself and Sturridge can be very frustrating to watch at times because we all know what talen they have at their disposal.

Young Josh got a few minutes again, hes doing well for himself, imagine a battle between himself and Wilshire Sunday :pac:

I cant wait either, I cantwait to see which Arsenal keeper turns up and how either play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Keep hoping Yuri will come good but it doesn't seem to be happening for him, another I had high hopes for, but he's not on the pace and keeps losing the ball / getting caught in possession too easily, or belting it (ala Mikel) when there's no reason to do so.. he looks a lot different from his pre-chelsea form.

Kakuta, I though was taking too many touches and was generally too hesitant when on the ball, he did a few things well and was a second off on a few passes that could have made more anelka goals, not ready to give up on him yet anyway!!

Danny "One Leg" Sturridge was again woefully exposed on the right, being played out of position doesn't really help his image or confidence I'd say, very strange to keep sticking him on the wrong side.

Utterly boring second half, except for booing Heinze out of lack of any other entertainment , Marseille fans were excellent, noisiest at the Bridge in a long time!

growler wrote: »

Utterly boring second half, except for booing Heinze out of lack of any other entertainment , Marseille fans were excellent, noisiest at the Bridge in a long time!

The Marseille fans were bloody loud, whenever Malouda/Anelka touched the ball it sounded like we were the away team with the amount of abuse they got from the few thousand away fans, seemed like a good atmosphere though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Where's all this Yuri hate coming from? I thought he did well in the first half, linked up defence and front pretty well, considering he was playing out of his comfort zone, in the middle. Our left flank looked fantastic first half, with Cole Zhirkov and Malouda terrorizing Marseille. He didn't have the greatest second half but the same could be said about a lot of the team, a fantastic utility player to have around. We have seen him play 3 positions for us now, don't think there should be any talk of shipping him out.

On Kakuta again I thought he played well. Done his defensive duties well, which was a complaint leveled at him previously. I think his game is maturing quickly. Showed great vision several times last night, not all of them came off, but he's in the team to offer something extra so he's never going to have a 100% pass completion rate.

Mikel was masterful in the first half again, and has a fantastic range of passing, made one mistake in the 2nd half but I think our concentration had dropped collectively dropped at that stage.

On that note, a worrying point may be our second half performances. Blackpool, Zilina, City and Marseille are all matches where we have dropped our levels significantly in the second half. Hopefully this can be eradicated on Sunday.

Where's all this Yuri hate coming from? I thought he did well in the first half, linked up defence and front pretty well, considering he was playing out of his comfort zone, in the middle. Our left flank looked fantastic first half, with Cole Zhirkov and Malouda terrorizing Marseille. He didn't have the greatest second half but the same could be said about a lot of the team, a fantastic utility player to have around. We have seen him play 3 positions for us now, don't think there should be any talk of shipping him out.

On Kakuta again I thought he played well. Done his defensive duties well, which was a complaint leveled at him previously. I think his game is maturing quickly. Showed great vision several times last night, not all of them came off, but he's in the team to offer something extra so he's never going to have a 100% pass completion rate.

Mikel was masterful in the first half again, and has a fantastic range of passing, made one mistake in the 2nd half but I think our concentration had dropped collectively dropped at that stage.

On that note, a worrying point may be our second half performances. Blackpool, Zilina, City and Marseille are all matches where we have dropped our levels significantly in the second half. Hopefully this can be eradicated on Sunday.

Dont got any hate for Yuri in the slighest, I think he is a fantastic player and would be a shoe in for most other teams, hes just unlucky that he finds himself behind the pecking order to the best LB in the world, who had a fanatstic game again last night, I love Ashley Cole.

Yuri is a great option fo rus but only time will tell how long he wnats to play back up to Cole/Malouda and any player missing in midfield.

Thought Mikel played very well again, he has shone this season, much he like he did last year, he is improving and playing well at the moment, all he needs is a goal :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Good result for us last night, finishing top of the group is all that matters at the end of the day.

Dont really mind about the performance of the team as a whole as the CL does not really begin until the knockout rounds and we can afford to play below ourselves/take it easy in these games.

Raedwald wrote: »
    Good result for us last night, finishing top of the group is all that matters at the end of the day.

Dont really mind about the performance of the team as a whole as the CL does not really begin until the knockout rounds and we can afford to play below ourselves/take it easy in these games.

Didnt help us last year finishing top, we bloody ran into Inter Milan. :(

If I have learned anything from our CL knockouts, its that whoever beats us will win the trophy, Inter 10/09, Barca 09/08, United 08/07 :mad:.

So if we lose at any of the knockout stages Im going lump on whoever beats us, I have a funny feeling we are going to get AC Milan in the first knockout stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

OK lads, I'll be away for 3 weeks, so this will be a negative rant free zone untill oct 20th or so ...

• Advertisement

the_monkey wrote: »
    OK lads, I'll be away for 3 weeks, so this will be a negative rant free zone untill oct 20th or so ...

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Even on the 10 mins ramieries was on last night, he still managed to look like the worst player on the park. He really needs to man up

Even on the 10 mins ramieries was on last night, he still managed to look like the worst player on the park. He really needs to man up

Ah come on now seriously, he has played one season in Europe before coming to Chelsea, give the guy a chance. He's only been at the club about 2 months and has shown some very good touches and moments in games. He's very strong in the tackle considering his size and shows a great turn of pace when running at defences. He needs time to build on his physicality but getting on his back after such a short period is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Ah come on now seriously, he has played one season in Europe before coming to Chelsea, give the guy a chance. He's only been at the club about 2 months and has shown some very good touches and moments in games. He's very strong in the tackle considering his size and shows a great turn of pace when running at defences. He needs time to build on his physicality but getting on his back after such a short period is ridiculous.

If you watch him closely you'll see that even the easiest of passes if overhit or not actually to feet. He's terrible in the tackle, haven't seen him retain the ball once in one actually!

Id love to be proved wrong as I have high hopes for him but for now, he needs a run in the reserves IMO

I wouldn't agree with that at all, I've seen enough of him already to see he shows great promise and overall has done well for us. Of course he needs to work on his game, ala pressing the ball and not standing too far off oncoming players. His movement off the ball although good is a bit slow and as I said already his physicality. I do feel it's quite harsh criticising a player who has in all fairness been thrown in at the deep end.

I wouldn't agree with that at all, I've seen enough of him already to see he shows great promise and overall has done well for us. Of course he needs to work on his game, ala pressing the ball and not standing too far off oncoming players. His movement off the ball although good is a bit slow and as I said already his physicality. I do feel it's quite harsh criticising a player who has in all fairness been thrown in at the deep end.

Exactly, obviously he needs time to adapt but you can see he has that bit of quality about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Hope the Yossi returns to full health as soon as possible, rather useful player to the Blues so far this season.

the_monkey wrote: »

Celebrate good times come on :D :P joking buddy.

Are you taking the_monkey's position as our resident pessimist :confused:

Seriously though, Ramieres will be a great player for us, he just needs to adjust to the pace of the PL and how chelsea play and be a bit stronger, historcially the best players in the league have had a bit about them and able to stand up to the physical challenge of the league.

Give him time and he will be a very good player for us, one for the future anyway as hes still only 23,24? Top prospect IMO.

Anyway, how about Sunday? Anyone want to give a predicition? Does Arsene stick with Flapainski or does he bring in Alumini? Either way I see it as a game we should win and dispell any myth that we are faltering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Very sad news. :( RIP.

• Advertisement

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Just heard carlo's father passed away, sad news:(

Terrible news :( thoughts are with Carlo and his family right now. If Carlo cant be with the team for a few days I hope Ray and the coaching staff can get us up for Sunday and give Carlo a victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Carlo's meant to be back for Sunday after the funeral on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

RIP.

Good little interview from Gael Kakuta

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2169617,00.html
    is a good time to be an emerging talent at Chelsea. Manager Carlo Ancelotti has frequently spoken of his intention to integrate a number of under 21s into the first team squad this season, and so far he has been good to his word.
    Full debuts were handed to Patrick van Aanholt and Jeffrey Bruma against Newcastle in the Carling Cup last week while 17-year-old Josh McEachran came on to earn rave reviews, and Gael Kakuta made his first start of the season, his second coming in Tuesday's Champions League win over Marseille where his corner created the first goal of the evening for John Terry.
    The 19-year-old has already had to cope with huge scrutiny in his short career, first having caught the eye in our FA Youth Cup run of 2007/08 before a subsequently overturned four-month worldwide ban from Fifa last autumn, and a Uefa Under 19 European Championship gold medal and best player award this summer.
    As he explained to the Official Chelsea Website this week though, despite the attention he is loving life at Stamford Bridge.
    'Yes, since I came back from the European Championship I have been playing a lot which is a good thing for me, and my fitness as well,' he explains.
    'I don't feel pressure at all, I feel comfortable, no pressure. I don't feel pressure so much. The more people that watch us play the better I feel.'

Such confidence in one so young is refreshing to see, but it is obvious it is present because those around the Lille-born playmaker have such belief in him.
    Asked whether seeing the team in full flow at the beginning of the season made him question just how he would break into the manager's plans, he smiles before responding: 'It gives me confidence to see the team play, they have been doing well since the start of the season so it gives you more confidence to see it, and you can be a part of it in training.
    'It gives you more motivation and makes you want to play more. When you come in everyone helps you and talks to you and give you advice, so you can only be better when you come into the team.
    'It is not like in some clubs where the first team players will try to break you and not let you get involved in the team. Here it is something different, that's why I really like it in this club. Everyone helps you, it doesn't matter if you are young or not, they treat you like a normal player like them.
    'Here at Chelsea I look up to everyone, because you don't know what position you can play, it is good to learn from everyone, the way they are and things like that. '

Ancelotti praised the youngster's performance against the French champions on Tuesday night and has spoken privately of his expectations for the season ahead. Kakuta prefers to keep the conversation that way but is happy to outline his own targets.
    He believes his own aims are in line with the other developing players at Chelsea, who have been elevated to first team squad status following the departure of several high-profile players in the summer.
    'It happens sometimes when people come through together and we talk about it between us', Kakuta says. 'We are happy with what the coach has done for us. He has helped a lot and given us all confidence. It is good and he is doing a really good job in the club.
    'We spoke about the games and things like that, and he has said what he wants from me. I want to be involved in many games and try to get on the pitch as much as possible. I don't mind playing on the left or the right or behind the strikers. It is good to have different positions, that can help me in the future, and hopefully I can score some goals.'
    He has certainly shown a penchant for fine solo efforts during his time, but was beaten off the mark by Van Aanholt, who opened his Chelsea account against Newcastle last week.
    'I was happy for him, it was his first goal for the club and something exciting for him, and me as well, he is a good friend,' he acknowledges.
    The positive start to the season seems like a world away from where Kakuta was a year ago, just completing his comeback from a double ankle fracture sustained in a friendly against the Glenn Hoddle Academy at Cobham and then banned due to the circumstances of his transfer from RC Lens in 2007.

He admits the struggle back from injury affected him, but positives were taken from the period in limbo while he waited for his appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport to be upheld, and he believes that enforced spell on the sidelines let to greater first team opportunities and his full debut against APOEL in the Champions League,
    'The injury did affect me a little bit, it was a bad injury. I was a bit down in my head, but the ban when I received it I was not worried about it because I didn't do anything wrong,' he explains. 'I knew I could sign for Chelsea and in my head everything there was right and I just had to work hard and be patient. I knew everything would be good.
    If I wasn't banned I don't think it [the breakthrough] would have happened like that. The month I was banned gave me time to work really hard and I was really fit and ready. It gave me extra hunger.'
    He would not play again for Chelsea after January, but stormed back into the public's consciousness with a string of devastating displays in his homeland during the summer, as the hosts played their way to European Championship success.
    Kakuta scored two excellent goals and set up the winner in the Final against Spain. Not a bad way to announce yourself, and win an award previously given to Fernando Torres in 2002 and Alberto Aquilani in 2003.
    'It was a good win for the team and for the coach (Francis Smerecki), and for the country as well with what happened in the World Cup. We had pressure because everyone wanted a good performance from us. The coach has been doing great work with us in the month before the championship and we worked really hard.
    'It was really good for me, my family was there, the French fans were there, pushing us in the games and they really helped us a lot.'
    The French fans at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday night were not quite so kind to their compatriots in blue, but it won't have affected Kakuta - he will have just been glad to play in a full stadium.

Evening gents, how are we all fixed for the showdown with our London neighbours?
    Just after reading the injuries list there, Jaysus Arsenal are missing a serious amount of 1st team regulars compared to ourselves.
    Hopefully we get an early goal, and then dominate the midfield, and hopefully knick in a second goal. Lets get Josh playing at some stage I say!
    I have to work so I will miss the flipping thing, Thinking of "offering" to go out delivering leaflets or something at say 3.45pm Sunday, and secretly nip off to the pub/mates house and watch it!:)

Sorry to hear about Carlo's dad, RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

on the newbies...

Ramires so far does look VERY lightweight, he's being pushed off the ball the whole time, looking for free-kicks that dont exist and sitting on his ass too much, not been impressed so far, but very early days, think he would have had a bit more of a slow introduction to the first team if it wasnt for all the injuries.

Kakuta has been fairly good so far in what ive seen of him, very fast, good touch, just being a bit wayward with the passing and trying for the difficult ball rather than keeping it simple, can really see him making a good contribution this year. Next year he'l be on the back of all my jerseys!

McEachran looks very tidy, im surprised at him coming on for mikel all the time tho, I didnt think he was a DMC, from all the youth clips I thought he was more attacking, maybe its just a safe position to introduce him in, dosent look out of place in our first team, will take a battering from some of the big enforcers in the league tho, will have to see how he copes with them!

Give Ramires time, he will come good. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Well after another Man U. draw today, we now have a huge incentive (not that we need one concidering we are playing arsenal) to push on tomorrow now and go 5 points clear, a win tomorrow is the perfect way to bounce back from the city defeat, and with arsenals injury list i believe we should win fairly comfortably tomorrow, looking forward to the game now...

Come on you blues!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

If ever there was a game when the initiative absolutely, positively, 100% HAD to be seized, then this is it. United's slip-up makes claiming all 3 points tomorrow an absolute must, to put proper daylight between ourselves and 2nd place.

Arsenal's injury woes mean that they will be somewhat easier to overcome, but nothing to be taken for granted here at all. Arsenal's habit of wilting against the bigger sides in recent seasons is something to take heart in, plus their great tendancy to not be as clinical in front of goal against the bigger sides as they are against sides who can be taken apart by their fluid, attacking football.

If Fabregas is still out tomorrow, that is a huge blow to Arsenal. Chelsea missing Lampard is not as severe, as we have plenty of capable players there to take up the middle, whereas Arsenal don't seem to have anyone who could replace Fabregas (in fairness, few teams would!!).

Keep a tight rein on Arshavin and Chamakh, terrorise Fabianski (I think he's starting) from the moment the ball is in play and test him as much as is possible, and this game can be controlled fairly easily.

2-0 Chelsea, with Drogba getting at least one of them.

• Advertisement

Just watching Chelsea TV that game Essien scored the screamer against Arsenal is on. What a ****ing goal that was. And Hilario was even worse back then than he is now.:P

Not strictly football related, but interesting none the less.

Billionaire Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is apparently considering taking legal action against the Irish government.

The Government’s decision to make subordinated bond-holders in Irish Nationwide Building Society (INBS) pay part of the bill for dealing with the organisation’s huge property losses has angered Abramovich’s investment vehicle, Millhouse, who hold bonds in the INBS.

“We urge Irish authorities to reconsider their position on INBS subordinated bonds and come out with a detailed plan on what it going to happen to this institution,” read a statement issued by the Millhouse investment company.

“In the meantime, we are fully prepared to vigorously defend our position using all possible legal means.”

Earlier this week, the Department of Finance said that it was working with the Attorney General on the issue of burden-sharing by subordinated bond-holders in both INBS and Anglo Irish Bank.

"The Government’s decision to make subordinated bond-holders in Irish Nationwide Building Society (INBS) pay part of the bill for dealing with the organisation’s huge property losses has angered Abramovich’s investment vehicle, Millhouse, who hold bonds in the INBS."

hehe...Millhouse..!

millhouse.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Can't see anything but a Chelsea win today. I'll go for 3-0 the blues.

Get in. :D

• Advertisement

Delighted :D

Alex and Mikel injured though. :(

Thought it was just cramp for Mikel, no?

Dleighted :D well and truly deserved to, what a display, we could have had 4 easily, Anelka was unlucky but should have scored and Essien should have scored after Alex.

What a win, going get locked later, will be dying in work 2mrw but not worried :D

Chelsea Chelsea :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

What a goal by Alex though. :eek:

• Advertisement

Now where are those people who were doubting Ramires.......:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Ramires was excellent and will get better with time.

Despite all the posesion, arsenal never really looked dangerous and both anelka, essien and cole should have scored in the second half. Same old lightweight arsenal.

4 points clear already:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Amazing day today ...

jumping-great-white-shark.jpg

3004115088_0e233339ab.jpg

happy days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

For once .... great time for International break. Could have fully fit squad come Oct 16th. Happy days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Johner wrote: »
    Alex and Mikel injured though. :(

Best performance I have ever seen Mikel put in today , chased every single ball , won loads of tackles and his passing was not bad either !!!:D

In fairness to Mikel he has been like that all season, great season so far for him. I was first to criticise him last season but he has really impressed me and he is doing a great job. A goal for him would be nice, although I won't hold my breath. :D

Mikel has been one of our best players all season. Quickly becoming the most influential DMC in football. Read an article this morning where during the summer Carlo and Ray asked him to push slightly more forward and try a wider range of passing. This has something to do with it but credit to the lad he has worked hard and his range of passing is awesome. Most accurate in the EPL. And he is still only 23.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Yeh, Mikel played well, does seem to be raising his profile and game. Drogba is such a threat to any defence and Alex, well who would put a hand up to that kind of ball!

Off to the Sundlerland game at the bridge in a few weeks, so here's hoping we maintain the lead in the meantime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Mikel was bloody fantastic I thought Ramieres had a good game too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement