Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11 (mod warning in post #7124)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

It will be interesting to see how Matic does. I felt he wasn't to far away from first team squad. A whole season in the first team and he should be maturing nicely.

Also does anyone know how long Rajkovic needs to spend on loan to sort out his wp issues. I have a sneaky feeling we won't be seeing him at Chelsea again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Loving that Jose is back nad it looks like he has never been away. :D

We easily have the best back 5 in the league when they are all fit, delighted with the result, Wolvbes were never going to be push overs and 3 points are all that matters. Ive decided this season im not going to focus on what other teams do or dont do as long as we are winning that all that matters.

Also, great news for Clifford and the rest of the loaned out players. They all seem to be getting game time and experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

jmce.gif

Amazing footwork from a 17 year old playing an away game in Russia in the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

The ball always seems stuck to his foot, his ball control is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

mceachran is class. I can see him becoming the long term replacement for lamps. He has been with the club since he was 8:eek: so hopefully he stays for life like jt.

In other news Lampard is in line to make a return at Blackbur at the weekend. He's been training this week and will hopefully get a 20 min run-out with an eye to starting him vs Spartak on Wednesday. Will be a massive boost.

Definitely, has this been the longest he's been out since he joined the club? I can't remember him being out of the team for any sustained period of time.

Definitely, has this been the longest he's been out since he joined the club? I can't remember him being out of the team for any sustained period of time.

Think in 2008 he was out for about 3-4 months, that was his first major injury. He is incredibly fit, it's amazing he hasn't needed the surgery sooner but it's good he gets it out of the way.

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=1324722.html?cid=newsletter_en_20101028_newsid1324722

Good Interview with Ramires on the FIFA website.
    In the world of football, players frequently struggle to reproduce their top form after a change in surroundings, whether it be in a new country or simply a new club. That has never been a problem for 23-year-old Brazil midfielder Ramires, however, who throughout his career has shown an enviable ability to adapt and thrive with every fresh challenge.

In a recent interview with FIFA.com, Dorival Junior, the player’s former coach at Cruzeiro, told of the then 20-year-old’s impact at A Raposa after arriving from Joinville in 2007. “I’d only seen him for 20 minutes in training before putting him in the first team,” said the current Atletico-MG boss, with Ramires immediately becoming a fixture in the side until making the switch to Portuguese giants Benfica in summer 2009.

Nor did a transfer to one of the Old Continent’s historically most successful clubs overawe the young midfield dynamo, with Ramires quickly becoming an integral member of Os Encarnados’ side which powered to victory in the 2009/10 Liga Sagres. Part of the Brazil squad that finished third at the Men’s Olympic Football Tournament Beijing 2008, the versatile performer was one of the few individuals in that group to remain in favour with senior Seleção coach Dunga.

Indeed, Ramires became a regular under Brazil’s 1994 FIFA World Cup™-winning captain, since replaced by Mano Menezes, and went toe-to-toe with the experienced Elano for a starting berth at the FIFA Confederations Cup 2009 and South Africa 2010. Moreover, having been one of A Seleção Pentacampeã’s key men in the 3-0 round-of-16 victory over Chile at the latter tournament, his absence through suspension was sorely felt in Brazil’s quarter-final exit to eventual runners-up the Netherlands.

Signed by Premier League champions Chelsea in August 2010, for the first time in his career the midfielder also has a language barrier to overcome in his bid to adapt at a new club. “I’d never played in a country with a different language before, which makes things a bit trickier, but I’m taking English classes and hope to get a handle on it soon,” Ramires told FIFA.com.

“There are times when I’ll have an off day or not perform as well as expected, just like any other player, but that won’t have anything to do with how I’ve adapted or not. The players here at Chelsea couldn’t have welcomed me any better and the club provide me with everything I could need."

Boasting an impressive CV for one so young, it is perhaps unsurprising that Ramires appears unruffled at the prospect of fighting for a place in the Blues’ star-studded first team. “At Cruzeiro and Benfica there was also huge pressure to get good results, the difference at Chelsea is that the level of visibility is so much greater. That means you’re singled out more when you play badly and there’s more hype when you play well,” said Ramires, a two-time Mineiro state champion with Cruzeiro and a Portuguese league and League Cup winner with Benfica.

“I know that our coach Carlo Ancelotti believes in me, which means I can relax and keep working hard,” continued the No7, who has already started four league games and one Carling Cup tie this campaign. “For example, I was really pleased with the ovation I received from the fans after our (2-0 Premier League) victory over Arsenal at Stamford Bridge.”

Working in Ramires’ favour is the fact that his style of play is undeniably suited to the fast-paced English game. Technical ability, speed, stamina and versatility all combine to give his manager Ancelotti a top-drawer alternative in the holding position, in right midfield, as a box-to-box central midfielder or even further forward in a linking role. “I was brought into the team early on to fill in for the injured [Frank] Lampard,” said Ramires, who hails from Barra do Pirai in Rio de Janeiro state.

“Since then I’ve played a few times as a box-to-box midfielder, which is my original position and the same one where Mano Menezes has been using me for A Seleção. But to be honest, it’s not hard for me to play anywhere in midfield. I’ll play whichever way Ancelotti thinks works best for the team at any given time.”

This straightforward and adaptable approach has clearly worked for the player in the past and, though quiet and reserved off the pitch, Ramires cuts a no-nonsense figure on it. “English football is very fast and physical, so you don’t get much time on the ball and you have to make decisions quickly. As well as being a player who tries to start moves when I have the ball, I’ve always liked a tackle, so that’s why I’m not finding it very hard to adapt,” continued the Brazilian, as the interview drew to a close.
    “I’m already getting used to the speed of the game over here. All I need to do now is to keep working hard to earn my spot in the side and help the team stay as successful as they’ve been in recent years.” And given his record at previous clubs, allied to the Blues’ flying start to the season, does anybody doubt Ramires will do just that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Obaraten wrote: »
    Is the Blackburn game on the TV lads?

Nope. :( Streams only. :(

Ivanovic has been offered a new 60,000 p/w deal to keep him at the club until 2014, lets hope he accepts. Legend

Didn't realise Schweinsteiger was out of contract in the summer, so he can negotiate with teams for a pre-contractual agreement in January. Would love him at Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Lukker- wrote: »
    Didn't realise Schweinsteiger was out of contract in the summer, so he can negotiate with teams for a pre-contractual agreement in January. Would love him at Chelsea.

Oh my God... this would be fukken magic!!!!!! Be the best addition to the midfield in years!!!:D:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Lukker- wrote: »

Up in 2012. Would still be available at a lower fee next Summer though.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=602602&cc=5739
    Bayern Munich have confirmed midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger has agreed a new three-year contract with the club.

The Germany international put pen to paper on the deal over the weekend to end speculation linking him with a move abroad with his previous contract due to expire in the summer.

"We are happy we have been able to tie down in a positive manner a further important player in Bastian Schweinsteiger," said chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge on the club's website.

The 24-year-old has come through the ranks with Bayern, whom he joined as a schoolboy in 1998.

He made his first-team debut in 2002 and has since made 168 Bundesliga appearances and been capped 62 times by Germany.

His performances for the national team at Euro 2008 and during the first half of the season have attracted a lot of interest from many of Europe's top clubs, including Juventus, but he has followed team-mate Philipp Lahm by committing to Bayern.

Schweinsteiger's new contract with Bayern will run until June 2012.

DazMarz wrote: »
    Oh my God... this would be fukken magic!!!!!! Be the best addition to the midfield in years!!!:D:eek:

We are apparently the early movers.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-News-Chelsea-are-interested-in-signing-Bastian-Schweinsteiger-as-a-free-agent-article615417.html

But we've been re-buffed by Bayern plenty of times before, it will be interesting to see who he goes to (if anyone) given that he could pretty much pick any club in Europe and realisticly move there. He's 6 years younger then Lamps and would be my replacement, such a complete CM.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Up in 2012. Would still be available at a lower fee next Summer though.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=602602&cc=5739

****ty rag I read said his contract was up next summer :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Would love to get Bastian off Munich be a smashing player and a perfect replacement for Lamps.

bastian would be an epic signing.

Blackburn will be tough tomorrow I think. I have a feeling we will just get a draw.
    Did carlo name the team yet?

• Advertisement

Team for today, as expected:)

1 Petr Cech
    2 Branislav Ivanovic
    33 Alex
    26 John Terry (c)
    3 Ashley Cole
    5 Michael Essien
    12 John Mikel Obi
    18 Yury Zhirkov
    39 Nicolas Anelka
    11 Didier Drogba
    15 Florent Malouda

Subs: 22 Ross Turnbull, 17 Jose Bosingwa, 19 Paulo Ferreira , 46 Josh McEachran, 44 Gael Kakuta, 21 Salomon Kalou, 23 Daniel Sturridge.

phew

great result, shocking performance but who cares. Ivan you legend:D

These results are just as important then the 8-0's. Delighted with that result, we drew there last season and it is IMO one of the hardest places to go in the league. Good day so far, Arsenal won but you know well once it starts raining or someone else breaks their leg there season will go up in flames like it those every season. City lost to Wolves and this is a fantastic result but just goes to show how tooothless they are without Tevez.

Hopefully Spurs can frustate United this evening, but can't see it happen, Spurs always fold at OT.

Great result there, cos Ewood is never easy to go to.

G'wan the Wolves!!!

Arsenal pox lucky. Feckin' Song in the 88th... Ugh...

And now, if the Spuds can end their 21 years of losing to United in OT, the day may just be complete!:D

And Bastian Schweinsteiger... Think the #6 jersey is free, isn't it!:cool:

The fight for second is hotting up with United and Arsenal both on 20 points, City on 17. ;)

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »
    The fight for second is hotting up with United and Arsenal both on 20 points, City on 17. ;)

I lurv it...

Complacency tho, is what could kill Chelsea this season... Today, things were on the pure bones of the arse. But then again, nobody else looked terribly impressive either. So maybe it's time for everyone to have an off period.

Citeh was the biggest shock today anyway. Cos Wolves had the sickest run of fixtures coming up (think it went: Chelsea, City, United, Arsenal)... and to get even a point from them 4 games is an acheivement, never mind three points!

DazMarz wrote: »
    I lurv it...

Complacency tho, is what could kill Chelsea this season... Today, things were on the pure bones of the arse. But then again, nobody else looked terribly impressive either. So maybe it's time for everyone to have an off period.

Citeh was the biggest shock today anyway. Cos Wolves had the sickest run of fixtures coming up (think it went: Chelsea, City, United, Arsenal)... and to get even a point from them 4 games is an acheivement, never mind three points!

I knew from their performance last week against us that they would be no push overs so thats why I didn't back them in my weekly accum!

Spurs folded with a little help from the ref but sure t'was always going to happen.

Overall we have gained 8 points on previous results last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Just after watching the highlights there. Far from pretty but these are the bread and butter games we seemed to mess up last season so thankfully we have come away with the 3 points. As has been said, Blackburn at home are never an easy task, so happy days, 3 points, no fresh injuries. Onwards and upwards.

Happy Halloween to the fellow Chelsea heads...

No horror shows for Chels this year so far... Hopefully it stays like that!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Still 5 points ahead with some sticky fixtures put behind us already.

November does'nt look to bad tbh....
    Liverpool (A), Fulham (H), *Sunderland (H), Birmingham (A), Newcastle (A).

*Got my tickets for this one on Friday, can't feckin wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Delighted with this win, never like going to Blackburn always a very tricky team and stubborn to break down.

Next five fixtures look pretty good for us, all games we should on paper be winning.

Essien wrote: »

Easy as it may look, I'd take nothing for feckin' granted there:

-Yes yes yes, I know I know I know... Blackpool and all that, but I stand by an earlier assertation; 'Liverpool in Anfield are never easily beaten'. And Every team will raise their game when the big boys (Chelsea, Man Utd, et al) come to their ground and Liverpool will want to try and claw back their reputation as one of the Big Boys, and what better way to do that than claiming the Champions' scalp???

-Fulham ran Chelsea very, very close last season in the Bridge, and a Smalling O.G. was the only divider. That said, I wouldn't be too terrified of this fixture this time around but complacency is a vicious enemy.

-Sunderland are never a bad side, but are not as dangerous away from home as they are up in the Stadium of Light. Darren Bent has been incredible for them, but keep him well marked out and things should be ok.

-Birmingham and Newcastle both away from home; never easy. Brum held Chelsea 0-0 in St. Andrew's last season (though this was largely due to the unreal heroics of Joe Hart, who is now back with Citeh) and Newcastle are dangerously inconsistent and could be underrated by a travelling Chelsea side. Carroll has been free-scoring lately and the midfield general of Nolan is also a potential threat.

As handy as November may look, it is littered with potential banana skins, and I do not really think 15 points is a given, but I do think that somewhere in the region of 10 to 12 points is a must. I think the squad is good enough to do that. And as was proven yesterday, fancy 8-0 wins are grand, but sometimes a gritty 2-1 away win is just as important.

I'm not taking anything for granted Daz, ya never can in this league. I reckon we get 6 points from the home games and we should beat Newcastle.
    Liverpool will be tricky purely because you never know whether or not they'll turn up on the day and Birmingham are stubborn if nothing else.
    However, there aren't any fixtures there that I just don't like the look of, like Villa and City away, potential banana skins galore though.

Essien wrote: »

In bold, potential banana skins I think, yes Liverpool have been brutal this year but playing ny of the "bigger" teams is always a tough one, given they are at home they might have one of those games against us, hopefully they continue there piss poor start to the season.

Newcastle, doing well and have a tough, durable team that can play ball to booth. Gonna be a tricky one.

Id love 15 points but 12 or 13 would be a good haul from these 5 IMO.

Very pleased with the form of Zhirkov, he's been excellent the last few games. Here's home and away with him,

HOME AND AWAY: YURY ZHIRKOV
    Posted on: Mon 01 Nov 2010

He is one of Chelsea's men of the moment. Fresh from setting up a weekend winner and preparing to shot down Spartak Moscow again hopefully, Yury Zhirkov talks about aspects of life...

HOME
    How do things work at Cobham for you?

I will probably point out Branislav Ivanovic as the team-mate who I spend most time with but when it comes to who I eat with or sit next to, whoever is there, I will join in.

Which of your team-mates has impressed you this season?
    I will not say a team-mate. Instead I will say that Carlo Ancelotti has impressed me the most by writing a book and mentioning me in it. I found out that he had when I read about it in a Russian newspaper.

What do you notice off the pitch at Stamford Bridge?
    It depends. If I am playing then sometimes yes, I notice the crowd, but when I am on the bench I most definitely do - so I have noticed quite a lot!

What's the most memorable dressing down you've experienced at half-time?
    There were quite a few in Russia. One time the coach was throwing water bottles at players and another time was when a coach was squeezing the juice out of oranges in front of the players.

What is 'home' for you?
    Home is still back in my native town of Tambov.

AWAY
    Which other sports do you like watching on TV?

Hockey and basketball. When I was a kid I played both and I still get to play basketball when I am on holiday between seasons. They lower down the basket for me (he laughs).

Any famous friends outside of football?
    It depends on your definition of a friend but I know quite a few celebrities - singers and actors in Russia. I know Natalova, a singer who is married to a football player.

What is your favourite place to escape from it all?
    I cannot think of a situation where I have to escape from everyone but my favourite holiday destination is Kaliningrad (a Russian enclave on the Baltic sea between Poland and Lithuania).

What is your best discovery in London?
    I like where I live now, next to Harrods. I get to meet quite a few Russians there and my favourite shop is the Dolce & Gabbana shop there. Quite a few people who work in Harrods speak Russian as well.

Can't help but be impressed with him, has adapted fantastically to the cm role.

Can't help but be impressed with him, has adapted fantastically to the cm role.

It reminds me alot like Malouda did last year. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Malouda injured, having a scan today. Bosingwa ill and Lamps still out.

smuckers wrote: »
    Malouda injured, having a scan today. Bosingwa ill and Lamps still out.

Malouda confirmed out. We should still be winning though and have qualification practically wrapped up.

Clifford played another 90minutes tonight for Plymouth. The are winning 3-1, in added time.

• Advertisement

Not sure how much truth in this but it might explain a few things.....

Borini frozen out

Borini frozen out

That does explain a lot.i wondered why he was bot involved this season. i have a feeling the same thing will happen with kakuta tbh

Borini frozen out

I wouldnt trust anything that a rag like the Daily Mail would produce. They even suggest that Borini is a midfielder in that article.

It could be right, but we have Drogba, Anelka, Kalou, Malouda, Sturridge, Kakuta all trying compete for the same position, throw in Borini that makes it 7 players, 6 if you consider Malouda as a midfielder.

Plymouth fans are very impressed with Clifford in his 3 starts! Was reading a forum to see how he was getting on and this thread popped up.

http://www.pasoti.co.uk/talk/viewtopic.php?t=47908

Great to see he's doing well.

Who says our best strikers are getting old? Ivanovic is only 26! :pac:

Good win, group winners with 2 games to spare, can't ask for better than that

The three youngsters were excellent when they came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Hope that second half was a sneak peak as to whats in store against Liverpool.
    Anelka was immense, as was Ivanovic and Cech.
    Rameries and Yuri are looking very good aswell, Franky and JT better not get too comfortable panned out on those seats though!

Sturridge much have increased his bench press looks much stronger on the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Rameries wasn't totally ****e tonight which was a nice change. Think he played 3 good balls which is 2 more than normal.
    Good 2nd half, looking strong at the moment

• Advertisement

Mceachran makes the under 21 squad according to a chatter on chelsea site. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement