Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11 (mod warning in post #7124)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I don't think we have enough strengh in depth in the squad to be honest. We got rid of Ballack,Belletti and Deco who despite not being at the top of there games for Chelsea brought much needed experience to the squad and could do a job for us from the start or from the bench. Our bench was full of youngsters today (albeit top quality youngsters) but we can't expect them to come on and change a game when they are only learning, when we get injuries like we have now I think we will struggle to get results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Be lucky to finish 3rd/4th this season, the next 2 games we will be lucky to get 2 points out of, (i reckon we'll get 1) by that stage we'll be 4 off the top, by the time Man U beat us we'll be 7 behind them,

all over

Anyone got a spare for Birmingham next weekend? Got Saturday off and am thinking of heading over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

the_monkey wrote: »
    Be lucky to finish 3rd/4th this season, the next 2 games we will be lucky to get 2 points out of, (i reckon we'll get 1) by that stage we'll be 4 off the top, by the time Man U beat us we'll be 7 behind them,

all over

My god I wish I was as hopeful as you. I can't see Chelsea dropping many more this season.

Le King wrote: »
    My god I wish I was as hopeful as you. I can't see Chelsea dropping many more this season.

Its all about momentum, something Chelsea have 0 of now, esp after today, and with Essien + Lamps missing for the next 2 tough away games !!!

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »
    Anyone got a spare for Birmingham next weekend? Got Saturday off and am thinking of heading over.

Just got sorted on cfcnet. Anyone else heading over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Just got sorted on cfcnet. Anyone else heading over?

I'll be there too. Hoping we bounce back in style but will be a tough game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Was at the game today and boy, was it woeful. Thats 2 sunday matches in row and the worst defeat at the Bridge I have seen in recent years.
    The right backs couldn't stop a leak in bath tub. Cech pulled off some great saves, the work rate he puts in before a match is un questionable, when its needed in the match he delivers.

Malouda swapped places with Ashely Cole for a while, that had me scratching my head. Zuirykov does not turn around, he had opportunities left and wide a few times, fluffed them, not a CM IMO. Mikel played very well to try and pull something together but Ramires was no help, keeps falling over the ball and is not up for it.
    Ivanovic held defence together but he's no JT or Alex. Ramires should have gone off for Malouda and Maloud take up a midfield role.
    At the back well jury is out on Bosingwa, too attacking, Ferrira is defo past it, you expect one of your two defenders to clear balls, these two don't.

Chelsea need a shake up, they've got it but how they correct the problems at the back will take some work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

MediumThumbnail.jpg?instanceText=Ramires-out-McEachran-will-start

I think Josh deserves a start actually, but still people are being very harsh on Ramires, I can bet this isn't the way Ancelloti wanted to use him for the start of his career in english football, the plan was probably to ease him with a few sub apperances and then after a while he would start games but unfortunately that wasn't possible with injuries and suspensions and he has been rather thrown into the deep end a bit. I have no doubt he will become a top player for us he has definitely shown glimpses of why we payed what we did for him, but he really does need to be given time.

• Advertisement

I think Josh deserves a start actually, but still people are being very harsh on Ramires, I can bet this isn't the way Ancelloti wanted to use him for the start of his career in english football, the plan was probably to ease him with a few sub apperances and then after a while he would start games but unfortunately that wasn't possible with injuries and suspensions and he has been rather thrown into the deep end a bit. I have no doubt he will become a top player for us he has definitely shown glimpses of why we payed what we did for him, but he really does need to be given time.

Ditto.

Still think he needs to bulk up a bit though...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I'm not sure Josh is ready to start an EPL game. The worst thing would be to rush him. Although saying that, I'd love to see it.

1mcampo1 wrote: »
    Ditto.

Still think he needs to bulk up a bit though...

Yeah he does, he has been brushed off the ball far too easily a good few times. He's also learning the hard way that you don't get much time on the ball and will be closed down very quickly, he has got some engine and pace on him though and I think he will be a good signing.

I'm not sure Josh is ready to start an EPL game. The worst thing would be to rush him. Although saying that, I'd love to see it.

Maybe a home game but as you say no point in rushing him there will be plenty of opportunities for him to play, he really is going to be something special though. :D

Maybe not start him, but give him a good run out (30+ish mins) and see how he get's on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Back to work after a week off and I didnt really use the laptop for the week so stayed away from Boards.

where do I start, last weekend against Liverpool we were bad, but unlucky, Reina blocked a good effort from Malouda from point blank range and he spilled A sturridge shot on to the bar that Drogba was unlucky with the follow up, no complaints though, we didnt eserve much form the game.

Yesterday, my christ it was one of the worse games ive seen Chelsea play in years. Lacked alot, sure we were missing Lamps, JT, Essien, Alex and Drogba doesnt seem fit from his illness but at home to sunderland to go down in the manner we did was really bad. We deserved to lose and apart from Cech the team was bad throughout.

Losing Wilkins was a shock to say the least, dont think it will cost us anything though but to have a man of Ray's football knowledge and understanding was a help alright, hope he gets back to football soon.

On the squad, its very rare that a squad will lose that many key men, it has happened and we have failed to deal with it, I think the squad is strong enough and hopefully we can get the lads back ASAP.

On the league, Monkey, are you having a laugh? No team loses a league in the space of 2 games, do me a favour and look at the big picture, 2 points clear after 3 loses is a great position.

On Josh and Ramires, I think putting Josh under too much pressure so fast could be bad but he seems like he can handle it, hes a great lad. Ramires has got dumped into the big time with injuries and the like forcing Carlo to play him without bleeding him into the English game and its pace, hes a good player, give him time and he'll be at his best.

gavredking wrote: »
    Back to work after a week off and I didnt really use the laptop for the week so stayed away from Boards.

where do I start, last weekend against Liverpool we were bad, but unlucky, Reina blocked a good effort from Malouda from point blank range and he spilled A sturridge shot on to the bar that Drogba was unlucky with the follow up, no complaints though, we didnt eserve much form the game.

Yesterday, my christ it was one of the worse games ive seen Chelsea play in years. Lacked alot, sure we were missing Lamps, JT, Essien, Alex and Drogba doesnt seem fit from his illness but at home to sunderland to go down in the manner we did was really bad. We deserved to lose and apart from Cech the team was bad throughout.

Losing Wilkins was a shock to say the least, dont think it will cost us anything though but to have a man of Ray's football knowledge and understanding was a help alright, hope he gets back to football soon.

On the squad, its very rare that a squad will lose that many key men, it has happened and we have failed to deal with it, I think the squad is strong enough and hopefully we can get the lads back ASAP.

On the league, Monkey, are you having a laugh? No team loses a league in the space of 2 games, do me a favour and look at the big picture, 2 points clear after 3 loses is a great position.

On Josh and Ramires, I think putting Josh under too much pressure so fast could be bad but he seems like he can handle it, hes a great lad. Ramires has got dumped into the big time with injuries and the like forcing Carlo to play him without bleeding him into the English game and its pace, hes a good player, give him time and he'll be at his best.

Now that I have calmed down, I do see the positives, but these next 2 games will be very tough, and I just CAN´T see us getting 6 points from them.
    Also worried about Drogba - maybe he'll never be the same after this Malaria, and will Lamps ever be back????

the_monkey wrote: »
    Now that I have calmed down, I do see the positives, but these next 2 games will be very tough, and I just CAN´T see us getting 6 points from them.
    Also worried about Drogba - maybe he'll never be the same after this Malaria, and will Lamps ever be back????

Well first things first, i think win the next game and go on from there, our most important game is our next, so if we take 3 points, we can put the poor run of results and performances behind us.

Drogba will be ok, im fully confident he can bang in the goals again, same with Lamps, hes been unlucky with his injuries this season but once hes back and we have playing with Mikel and Essien will be firing on all cylinders again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Monkey you're some hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

we have birmingham, zilina and newcastle to get things back on track, and a lot of that responsibility falls on Drogba and Anelka's shoulders, they've been too casual of late for my liking. Seriously missing Lamps and Essien and I don't think Ramieres is ready for the big time yet, and Zhirkov continues to be almost brilliant but not quite.

No need to be hitting the panic button, that result should knock some of the complacency out of some of the squad for next week and once we have our injuries sorted and drogba gets cured of whatever currently ails him, we'll be back knocking in 6 or 7 every week :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I'm not trying to be pesimistic but I can't see us beating Birmingham mainly because of our midfield of ramires and zhirkov. Since when did zhirkov become a central midfielder. We will struggle at newcastle also, we need lamps and the bison back now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

MUSEIST wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be pesimistic but I can't see us beating Birmingham mainly because of our midfield of ramires and zhirkov. Since when did zhirkov become a central midfielder. We will struggle at newcastle also, we need lamps and the bison back now.

I think we should have Malouda in CM and Zhirkov on the left. Malouda is stronger and is more suited to CM and he spends most games cutting into there anyway. Zhirkov is too slight and doesn't seem to comfortable on the ball in the middle of the pitch. We really need to press hard in midfield and work the ball down the flanks. Our problem against Sunderland is we had no natural ball playing CMs to work the ball down the flanks and start passing moves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Only back from London now and I'm feeling a good bit better than I was yesterday, I was like a boiled shite leaving the match.

I could go on all night about where exactly it went wrong for us but I'm sure its all been posted already. I can't really fault Ancelotti for his team selection,the main problems for me were Ferreira at CB and Zhirkov at CM, realistically though his only other options were McEachran and Bruma respectively. Now should he decide to play 2 experienced players in slightly awkward positions or 2 inexperienced players in their more comfortable positions? In hindsight, the latter could have hardly been any worse but given the choice I probably would have opted for experience also.

Next time out I think we need to give Josh a start at least, and while I'm not all that comfortable about starting Bruma I think I'll vomit if I see Ferreira lining out at CB again, anybody would be an improvement. I think Josh gives Mikel a decent passing option in that position, Ramires is knocked off it far too easily in the rare event he gets there before the opposition and Zhirkov is far too fond of running into a brick wall, trying to beat a man is in his nature being a wide player but it doesn't often end well when playing through the middle. I know he's young, but he would bring some badly needed composure to that midfield in the absence of Lampard and Essien.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=1334336.html?cid=rssfeed&att=

Was looking to see if he is in the squad for the Ivory Coasts game against Poland , hopefully not , as he says in the interview he is a couple of weeks away from being back at his best . Just found the following link , its seems that he is in the squad :mad:

http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/287040/drogba-included-ivory-coast-squad-despite-bout-with-malaria

Looking forward to getting a full strength squad back , hopefully then we will take a stranglehold on the championship again.

Still a little shocked at the manner of yesterdays defeat , all credit does have to go to Sunderland , but what was Carlo thinking playing Ferreria at CB.

Was Brumma injured ? Wait till the videos are looked over of that performance , Ferreria ball watching the hole game as his man slipped in behind him EVERY time.

For people banging on about how John Terry is finished (Liverpool V Chelsea Match thread )yesterday sorely shows he is still the heart of the team imo and still a class act .

What a performance from Cech , really looks back at his best.

Ive got a ticket for MSK Zilina if any one wants it , cant head over due to other commitments , landed in the door today .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

How many more years do Chelsea fans think Drogba can keep producing the goods at highest level? He'll be 33 in March.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Paleface wrote: »
    How many more years do Chelsea fans think Drogba can keep producing the goods at highest level? He'll be 33 in March.

Personally I think he has this season ( When fully recovered from his illness ) and next season at the top of his game , after that I reckon he could be a valuable asset from the bench or helping to train in the new man to take over his mantra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Hi, is that the police?
    -Yes, how can we help?
    I've been beaten badly. There were these black men who just kept attacking and attacking. I've never been so violated.

-Your name sir?

Its Petr. Petr Cech.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Hi, is that the police?
    -Yes, how can we help?
    I've been beaten badly. There were these black men who just kept attacking and attacking. I've never been so violated.

-Your name sir?

Its Petr. Petr Cech.

Get your facts correct before acting the muppet , he has "been so violated" before .

26/12/2007

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/7157291.stm

Had 4 past him that day :p ,

And secondly , it makes no difference if the lads were black , blue , purple or pink.

Epic fail at trying to be funny , try harder

• Advertisement

It will force us to buy in January .

This looks very bad .

I believe Bolton need to balance the books again , last time we went there in January it proved to be an excellent bit of business .

Gary Cahill any one ?

Jesus what Id give to still have Robert Huth in the squad still .

Cahill would be a brilliant signing imo.

Sadly there's a lot of potential pts to be won/lost before then. Cahill would be good buy - but he's not John Terry. I was always impressed with Stephen Taylor (dunno how his recovery is coming along) - but he'd be out of the JT mould and apparently we expressed interest before.
    In the meantime Bruma? ferrera? Mikel? - assuming the Alex injury is serious.

Cahill would be a brilliant signing imo.

At 24 , he has plenty of years to offer , could be an excellent addition , Im off to bed that JT story has me feeling a bit off now :mad:

Sadly there's a lot of potential pts to be won/lost before then. Cahill would be good buy - but he's not John Terry. I was always impressed with Stephen Taylor (dunno how his recovery is coming along) - but he'd be out of the JT mould and apparently we expressed interest before.
    In the meantime Bruma? ferrera? Mikel? - assuming the Alex injury is serious.

Throw Bruma in at the deep end , and hopefully have Alex in beside him , I really dont think Ivanovic is a CB , too prone to mistakse for that position, and does not not seem to have the percy kanck of a sneaky foul in the correct position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

F*ck!

Other targets would include

• Phil Jones (bit young)
    • David Luiz (would be extremely expensive)
    • Ryan Shawcross (bit rough)
    • Martin Demichelis (*shudder*)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Get your facts correct before acting the muppet , he has "been so violated" before .

26/12/2007

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/7157291.stm

Had 4 past him that day :p ,

And secondly , it makes no difference if the lads were black , blue , purple or pink.

Epic fail at trying to be funny , try harder

But the players were black and you can't win them all.

And Mexes ..... but January will never come!!! Hopefully Alex can be restored!

And Mexes ..... but January will never come!!! Hopefully Alex can be restored!

^^WHAT, no January this year, aww

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Phil Jones would be a great signing. But any player we are looking at to come into cb will cost a fortune. I don't think there will be any signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Two words...Sol Campbell...

In all seriousness, the JT situation has really thrown a spanner in the works for us now. His lack of presence and leadership was there for all to see against Sunderland. Hope to jaysus Alex returns to full fitness ASAP, I do think he and Ivanovic would form a solid partnership. Keeping a back four of Bosingwa, Alex, Ivanovic, A.Cole fully fit and injury free would in itself be massive for us over the coming month or so.
    After that, its a case of who to get in that would be capable of slotting straight in alongside Alex. As mentioned, anyone Chelsea eye up between now and January will no doubt have a nicely inflated price tag attached.

Oh how we rue the day we let Rickky go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

The BBC are running the Terry injury story now....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/9193773.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Paleface wrote: »
    The BBC are running the Terry injury story now....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/9193773.stm

Dammit Terry when do ya always have to play through the pain barrier and make the injuries worse :(

Well feck it anyway. Its never good getting injuries and we seem to be collecting them like their going out of fashion at the moment. :(

A couple of things, with Carvalho having a stormer at Real Madrid, shows what he could have offered.

I think we have to throw Bruma in at the deep end, only other options seem to be Ivanovic, who is unsure at times, Essien, who is injured and needed in midfield regardless, Ferrira, this doesnt need to be explained.

If Terry is out injured for a few weeks/months I think a back line off Alex and Ivanovic will get the job done and could mature into a decent partnership, heres hoping anyway.

That's assuming this swollen knee that Alex has is short term - was due to see specialist yesterday apparently. He's a 'big unit' to have running around on a dodgy knee. one or other of Terry and Alex out we could get away with - the two??? I know man u had to make do for a long part of last season - but O shea and Evans already had lots of experience there.

From the main site,

TERRY TO SEE SPECIALISTS
    Posted on: Tue 16 Nov 2010

An update has been issued on John Terry's fitness.

The captain missed Sunday's game against Sunderland with an injury and withdrew from the England squad to play France on Wednesday.

A Chelsea spokesman said today (Tuesday):

'John reported for training this morning. He met with club doctors and medical team and discussed plans to see various specialists to try to find a solution to the nerve problems he has been experiencing in his right leg.'

gavredking wrote: »
    Terry is out injured for a few weeks/months I think a back line off Alex and Ivanovic will get the job done and could mature into a decent partnership, heres hoping anyway.

I'd very happy with Alex and Ivanovic with Bosingwa at RB, please just no more Paulo. :(

I'd very happy with Alex and Ivanovic with Bosingwa at RB, please just no more Paulo. :(

If Carlo is ,that desperate/stuck ill line out myself at RB :pac:

Just as I feared ..... Alex out 6-8 weeks. This is shocking timing. Both centre halfs out. Brumas in now whether good enough or not. Chalobah is only 16 I think - but expect to see him on the bench now!
    There are times we'd get away with this - but not with Everton, Spurs, Man u and Arsenal all coming up in the next 4/5 weeks. League could be gone by then - CL it is then!!

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2222056,00.html

Terrible news this, Bruma has to be given a shot.

Ah jesus, ****in epic disaster. Bruma must be played.:mad:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement