Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11 (mod warning in post #7124)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Johner wrote: »

Maybe get it for the whole Chelsea team, and force them to watch it 20 times ....

smuckers wrote: »
    Terry should be back for Everton but Lamps is still out

Hope Lamps is back for Spurs and United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

From Chelsea FC.com, Part 1 of an interview with Didier Drogba.
    Part 2 will be available tomorrow.
    Didier Drogba has long been regarded as one of the influential figures in the dressing room at Stamford Bridge, but recently his authority has become visual with the addition of the captain's armband to his matchday armoury.
    Of course, with John Terry expected back this weekend it is only a temporary measure, but the aura of leadership surrounding Drogba is unmistakable.
    It is there in everything he does, whether it be lining up free-kicks or launching a charitable foundation.
    We'll come to the latter later, but first we must discuss life as one of Chelsea's elder statesmen.
    Since Drogba's arrival in 2004, he has always been perceived as a senior figure, but look around the first-team dressing room now and there is only Hilario, 35, older than the 32-year-old.
    As a late starter, only hitting the big time with Marseille at 25, he still believes he is developing as a player, but that does not prevent Drogba aiding others with their own progress.
    He accepts that his younger team-mates see him as somebody to learn from. 'Yes, maybe because I am the oldest!' he laughs, sipping from his hot chocolate in Stamford Bridge's Marco restaurant. 'Maybe they look up to me, but that's normal. This is a role I am used to and I have it also in the national team so there is nothing new, it is just the shirt and the team I play for.'

Indeed it is not just at Chelsea where Drogba, one of Time magazine's 100 most influential people in the world, is seen as an invaluable patriarch.
    Newcastle midfielder and international team-mate Cheik Tiote cited the forward as the main reason behind his move to England from FC Twente.
    'I helped him as much as I could because this league is the best,' Drogba says. 'It is difficult, but with his talent and his desire to win and improve I thought it was the best league for him. I try to help them, the other guys, because if I was in the same situation I would ask for help, so I try to help and it is good if they succeed. It makes me proud.'
    So who did the young Drogba go to when he was an unknown in France?
    His uncle, professional footballer Michel Goba, whom he lived with in France, was an obvious influence, but hardly comparable on the superstar scale to the current Chelsea number 11 in his present state.
    'When I was young like that, I didn't have people like me!' he jokes. 'I had to write letters, like CVs, to get a chance for a trial, so that's what I have been through. I don't want these guys to have to do this because it's not easy.
    'It's better to have a player who knows the league and has been here for a few years like me.'
    Credit then for making use of his fortunate position in helping out a fellow professional.
    As he acknowledges, however, there is far more a man in his position as Africa's most recognisable footballer (and, arguably, face) can do.

The fact he is doing it and not merely making the right noises demands widespread respect, regardless of footballing loyalties or Drogba's ability to appeal to the angrier side of opposition fans.
    Didier's latest fundraiser is due to take place on Saturday evening at the Grosvenor House Hotel, in London.
    Having delayed this interview until early on Wednesday evening in order to squeeze in a suit fitting, Drogba will be looking his elegant best, and promises there will be plenty for guests to look forward to - last year saw performances from boy band JLS and rapper Akon.
    'I am able to leave most of the organisation in other people's hands, but I've had to make some important phone calls which I really enjoy, and I know why I am doing it, so it's a good feeling,' he explains, before dismissing suggestions of charity rivalry in the Chelsea dressing room, with Salomon Kalou, Florent Malouda and Michael Essien all launching their own organisations over the past couple of years.
    'We talk about it, but no competitions!' he smiles, leaning forward from his relaxed position. 'They are similar and the objective is to help, so it is really amazing what the guys are doing. We use our fortunate situations to help, and it's really nice to have these opportunities.'
    Drogba's team-mates will be there on the evening to offer their support.
    After all the help he has given, he fully deserves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Frank back for Utd game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Frank back for Utd game.

X-mas has come early :D

• Advertisement

Happy B-day to The Bison.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Happy B-day to The Bison.:D

:D 28 today.

He owes us a big performance tomorrow after what happened at Fulham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Ancelotti says we may move for a defender in January:
    Carlo Ancelotti has been discussing a little about his plans for the January transfer window.
    Asked whether he would be keen to sign a new defender, following the team's recent injury problems in that area, he explained it very much depends on how his current players fare.
    'We have to look just for the injuries. We have long injuries, Alex, Terry, and we can decide to do something in January but this month it is important to know the position of John Terry and Alex, and maybe in January we can move,' he explained, though he still believes the squad he has at his disposal is capable of achieving its goals.
    'I think this team has the same aim of the last season and has the same capacity and ability to reach the same objectives,' said the Italian. 'I think we can win the league and be competitive in the Champions League at the same time. I am sure that we can come back to play and win the games as we did last season.'
    The manager also spoke about Jeffrey Bruma, his 18-year-old centre-back, who is understudy to Terry, Alex and Ivanovic, who has been linked with a loan move when the window reopens at the turn of the year.
    'It could be a possibility but what I said before about the centre-backs, we have to wait and control the situation of John Terry and Alex, so maybe in January he can go to play on loan', he said.

My money would be on Cahill, although I wouldn't mind signing David Luiz..

Luiz would be brilliant, would cost a lot.

Terry and Essien are going to be a big bonus tomorrow even though Essien was playing pretty poor before he got sent off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

Ya - Cahill (Bolton) Johnson (Birmingham) Taylor (newcastle) or Jones (Blackburn) are all players who would be available at a reasonable price. All future England internationals and all a lot cheaper than Luiz. I'd favour Cahill or Johnson myself - and send Bruma out on loan to PL or Championship and see how he fares. Its a 'no-brainer' really - they're all young, English and just hope that they'd be prepared to be cover most of the time. Johnson is a Huge Chelsea fan - so this might help. C'mon the Chels. 3/4 nil tomorrow please!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Lads, do me a favour and light a few candles or something today...

Myself, the late great CHD and another fellow blue are all travelling over for the game today.

However, with all the snow and ice and that, we'll be lucky to make it.:(

We booked this ages ago, in the naive frame of mind that the weather this early in December wouldn't be too bad. More the fool us...

If we make it to the Bridge, I'll post back here before kick off... if not... I'll post back here crying from Dublin Airport...

Carefree....

DazMarz wrote: »
    Lads, do me a favour and light a few candles or something today...

Myself, the late great CHD and another fellow blue are all travelling over for the game today.

However, with all the snow and ice and that, we'll be lucky to make it.:(

We booked this ages ago, in the naive frame of mind that the weather this early in December wouldn't be too bad. More the fool us...

If we make it to the Bridge, I'll post back here before kick off... if not... I'll post back here crying from Dublin Airport...

Carefree....

Fingers Crossed for you Daz ..... bring back 3pts and Top of the League!

Hope you got the flight ok Daz! Big performance/result needed today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Enjoy the game Daz, hopefully you will witness a daycent performance and 3 points in the bag!

So, Lescott anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

papagormo wrote: »
    Enjoy the game Daz, hopefully you will witness a daycent performance and 3 points in the bag!

So, Lescott anyone?

God no, such an average player.

He had a decent partnership with Jagielka, but Jagielka was the much better of the two.

I could rant, but just no point anymore.

Serious questions need to be asked about the teams recent form, what is going on ? and can it be pinpointed to a specific game/time/incident?

Ray Wilkins ?

in my view if a guy who
    * Is popular with the players
    * The manager likes and WANTS him to stay
    * is doing a great job

is sacked then it is going to cause instablility in the club, it undermines the manager and distracts the players

You reap what you sow Roman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Watched the game on Setanta.

We were dreadful. Poor first touch from most players, way too many unforced errors and Everton outfought and outwitted us. Drogba looks a shadow of his former self - I know he's been ill but its very worrying.

If we continue like this we will lose touch with the leaders very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

He could be in big trouble now alright. No excuses today really, effectively a full strength team and the game should have been dead and buried with 20 mins to go. Things going pear shaped suspiciously coincided with Ramires coming on :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Wow we are just so average ,never seen us look so ordinary before.

At this stage I would rather see sturidge play than Kalou ,

John Terry and Cech are the only two players I would have nothing bad to say about today.

Disgusted .

What was the story with just lobbing the ball forward for the last 10 minutes , what has happened to the football we used to play ?

We did not even deserve a point today never mind 3, if I was an everton fan I would feel hard done by.

Yellow card was the correct call on the peno , as the direction anelka played the ball not one but two everton players may have made it to the goal line and anelka just jumped straight into him.

We should of had a peno when coleman went through the back of cole , not that our play would of been worthy of a 2 goal lead.

And what type of substitution was Ramires for Anelka, everyone and there dog new everton were going to get a goal and we take off one of our main attacking threats, I am a firm believer in Attack is the best form of defense .

As for Essien he was pure muck today , Drogba looked very tired and uninterested, Malouda looks like he is lacking confidence to take men on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

seem to have reverted to the Mourhinho tactic of getting the lead and defending it. Only flaw in that plan is Chelsea cant defend anything at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Wow we are just so average ,never seen us look so ordinary before.

At this stage I would rather see sturidge play than Kalou ,

John Terry and Cech are the only two players I would have nothing bad to say about today.

Disgusted .

What was the story with just lobbing the ball forward for the last 10 minutes , what has happened to the football we used to play ?

We did not even deserve a point today never mind 3, if I was an everton fan I would feel hard done by.

Yellow card was the correct call on the peno , as the direction anelka played the ball not one but two everton players may have made it to the goal line and anelka just jumped straight into him.

We should of had a peno when coleman went through the back of cole , not that our play would of been worthy of a 2 goal lead.

And what type of substitution was Ramires for Anelka, everyone and there dog new everton were going to get a goal and we take off one of our main attacking threats, I am a firm believer in Attack is the best form of defense .

As for Essien he was pure muck today , Drogba looked very tired and uninterested, Malouda looks like he is lacking confidence to take men on.

Good post pretty much sums up all my views too!

Essien wrote: »
    He could be in big trouble now alright. No excuses today really, effectively a full strength team and the game should have been dead and buried with 20 mins to go. Things going pear shaped suspiciously coincided with Ramires coming on :(

Oh come on ... we were BRUTAL throughout - esp the 2nd half. Essien anonymous, Malouda anonymous, Something very wrong. And on the Wilkins thing, maybe ..... but Wilkins was still in place when an awful Liverpool bet us. What the hells goling to happen for the next 5-6 games :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Does anyone think ray wilkins departure has anything to do with chelsea form of late? They went into bad form just after he left.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

As for Essien he was pure muck today

Is he not just back after a long layoff though ? Thats not to say he wasn't muck but it would be a fairly good excuse compared to some of the others.

Oh come on ... we were BRUTAL throughout - esp the 2nd half. Essien anonymous, Malouda anonymous, Something very wrong. And on the Wilkins thing, maybe ..... but Wilkins was still in place when an awful Liverpool bet us. What the hells goling to happen for the next 5-6 games :eek:

Indeed, jesus I had a terrible thought there, we could be 7 points behind united (with united one game in hand - so virtually 10!!!!) by Christmas!!

Not looking forward to Spurs away that is a monumental task, if we can't beat Everton at home (should have lost) and can't even score in open play at home !!!! Jesus !!! im getting more depressed thinking about it now - I mean this is the same side that used to win 6,7,8 Nil!!!!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I'm really hoping our strikers are just suffering from a lack of confidence and that they can get over it in a hurry. Just looking at the penalty incident on Setanta here and I can't help but think that Anelka genuinely couldn't make his mind up :confused: A confident Anelk simply sidefoots the keeper or goes past him in one swift move. Kalou had a chance in the second half where he looked like he was afraid to shoot.

the_monkey wrote: »
    Indeed, jesus I had a terrible thought there, we could be 7 points behind united (with united one game in hand - so virtually 10!!!!) by Christmas!!

:confused:

Utd have a game in hand and are 1 point ahead of Chelsea. I make it possibly 4 ahead. "virtually 10!!!!)" is a bit of a stretch.

Calm the fck down :)

As a Utd fan I have to say we are poxed to be in this position and will do our best to fck it up.

• Advertisement

Andy Goldstein on twitter saying Carlo going Mon morning, Guardiola replacing 5 year deal already agreed

jaykay74 wrote: »
    :confused:

Utd have a game in hand and are 1 point ahead of Chelsea. I make it possibly 4 ahead. "virtually 10!!!!)" is a bit of a stretch.

Calm the fck down :)

As a Utd fan I have to say we are poxed to be in this position and will do our best to fck it up.

I mean by christmas this is possible, it is the worst case scenario , but over the last few weeks everything has been a worst case scenario for Chelsea :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Andy Goldstein on twitter saying Carlo going Mon morning, Guardiola replacing 5 year deal already agreed

Not a chance he would leave the best footballing team in the world to come to Chelsea no matter how good we are or are not .

I'd rather Gus myself - Guardiola has been working with a wonderfully talented squad - I'd manage them myself and look good. Nothing to suggest he's the man to dig us out of this mess. - Hiddenk on the other hand has done it before - and I think the players would respond to him.

5 points from our last 6 games is woeful. With the way we are playing we will be lucky to be in the title race after Christmas. Dreading going to WHL next weekend.

Such SH*T !!!

Maybe they will sack Carlo (a disgrace and one which may make me just quit watching all football)

Yeah Guardiola is gonna want to leave the best team in the world that just thrashed RMA 5-0 and where he has HEROIC status to come to an instable club that is quietly on it's way out of the history books.

• Advertisement

I'd rather Gus myself - Guardiola has been working with a wonderfully talented squad - I'd manage them myself and look good. Nothing to suggest he's the man to dig us out of this mess. - Hiddenk on the other hand has done it before - and I think the players would respond to him.

just wondering, do any fans at this stage want Carlo to go ?? Surely not ??

I've never really been convinced. I know he's a nice guy and all that. Yes we won the double last year - but how much of that was down to Man U playing half the season without centre halfs? Yes, we clicked into gear in the last month of last season - but this season we flattered to deceive. I still maintain we've not played well all season. I expect some brickbats but this is my opinion and I've seen every single game.

I've never really been convinced. I know he's a nice guy and all that. Yes we won the double last year - but how much of that was down to Man U playing half the season without centre halfs? Yes, we clicked into gear in the last month of last season - but this season we flattered to deceive. I still maintain we've not played well all season. I expect some brickbats but this is my opinion and I've seen every single game.

So you would be happy to see Gus Hiddink come back ?

I mean, I don't want Carlo to go ... but if it HAS to happen then i suppose
    Gus is the best choice.

But i have a feeling they will stick that lad who replaced Ray in :O !!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Would be shocking if he was sacked. Simply didn't strengthen enough during the summer. We have been hit hard by injuries and illness. It's only December and talking about Ancellotti getting the sack is a joke.

Would be shocking if he was sacked. Simply didn't strengthen enough during the summer. We have been hit hard by injuries and illness. It's only December and talking about Ancellotti getting the sack is a joke.

I agree and have to stress I don't want him gone, but it is a shame that it is a real possibility

• Advertisement

just wondering, do any fans at this stage want Carlo to go ?? Surely not ??

Never , disgraceful talk

He won 1 league in his 8/9 years at AC Milan - think he might have peaked too soon here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Rubbish he's the man for the job, change could only cause havoc at Chelsea

Not sure about Ramires now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Mikel, bar max 3 games, has been fantastic for Chelsea this season.
    I'm really beginning to scratch the head here, I know the obivious answer would be the departure of Wilkins, but aren't these players supposed to be professionals who have ambitions to want to go out and win every game? Looked to me for the world like another laboured game, lack of intent and creativity from nearly every player. We could very easily have walked away with yet another 3 points dropped today in all honesty.

Throwing the concept out there, Drogba has not been performing of late, Sturridge is there, as is Borini, why not rest Drogba for a few games until he is fully raring to go.

We all hoped Terry and Essien's return would be the solution to the Chelsea woes, but its the whole team that need to buck up massively.
    I dropped head in hands on Paulo's introduction, now Carlo, I know you have faith in the older players, but when you have Bruma on the bench and a goal to the good, consider substitutions more carefully. Heck, worst comes to worst and you want to take Bosingwa off, bring on Josh/Rameries and put Essien in defence, (worst case situations only as Essien is far more effective in midfield) but not Paulo. I know he made a few good crosses today, but thats not enough in reality.

A very disappointing day, December is beginning to look bleak.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Eamo87

Exactly, dont sack the man, sure, results has been poor lately but we have to keep faith.
    In saying that, I am concerned about next weeks game at white hart lane. I would be happy with a point.

Anyone think there is anything to this story, i.e. that Roman is more into Russian football/WC 2018 than Chelsea these days. apparently he wasn't at the game today either. Or is it just a case of the story being based around a few bad results for Chelsea. I guess the question is how commited is Roman to Chelsea.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=849086&sec=england&root=england&cc=5739
    Roman Abramovich is not generally a figure who seeks out a camera and poses for staged photographs, yet the reclusive Chelsea owner broke with protocol when he took part in such ceremony as he was hugged and applauded by all concerned in Russia's successful bidding team.
    Cynics of FIFA's methods for handing out their prized asset may well suspect that billionaire Abramovich was the key player in Russia's successful 2018 campaign, but that debate can be held elsewhere as the pre-match press room discussion ahead of Chelsea's game against Everton centred on where this week's extraordinary developments leave one of football's most prominent figures.
    Cost-cutting and penny-pinching was hardly the order of the day when Abramovich abandoned his anonymity to acquire Chelsea in 2003, yet that has been the priority in the last year as high earners such as Michael Ballack, Ricardo Carvalho and Joe Cole were offloaded and an emphasis was placed on promoting youthful stars.
    Many suspected his big spending days were already behind him and there must now be a danger that his interest in Chelsea will waver more than ever as he has Russia's expensive 2018 World Cup project to get his teeth into.
    Abramovich was conspicuous by his absence at Stamford Bridge two days after the award and a glance at the Chelsea team-sheet for this game confirmed the youth policy he is promoting is not being embraced by under-pressure manager Carlo Ancelotti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Lads- maybe it's ALL about the CL this season? Maybe that's the master plan.

Maybe it's best if RA f*cks off and some rich arab steps in with an interest in the club ?

Maybe it's best if RA f*cks off and some rich arab steps in with an interest in the club ?

Cant go along with that - Roman is a football and (since 2004) a Chelsea fan. Moneywise his hands are now tied by UEFA regulations. I'm sure he'll still fund the necessary 'strengthning' ie a centre-half in January - and this whole Ray Wilkins thing. We dont know what went on - but lots of other clubs revamp their backroom staff - but Chelsea get the outrage, because its the Ruthless Rooskie shafts our poor Ray thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

but Chelsea get the outrage, because its the Ruthless Rooskie shafts our poor Ray thing.

What I don't get is why an owner would sack a coach?? Can't get it to make sense at all ... even from any evil Russian masterplan angles.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement