Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11 (mod warning in post #7124)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

the_monkey wrote: »
    Regarding tonights game, well a draw would be best , but whatever happens there is advantages for us.

so its win win win for us tonight !! :D:D:D !!!

just read about JT going to the fans symbolising "Trophies" to the fans - what a legend, an iron LEGEND - this is a man who'd die for his club and his fans.

JT - CAPTAIN, LEADER, LEGEND!!!

What I will say about JT, this season he has been immense for us. The chips are down right now and at the moment we arent looking to good but its characters like JT taht can carry us through this and instill the belief that we need to go on and defend our crown.

I still expect us to win the league and it was great to see JT go over to the fans like that, same with Drogba when he went over to apologise about the peno miss, I think our players have woken from the slump and we will push on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

The best result tonight is a draw, but the worst result for us would be a United win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

gavredking wrote: »
    Josh is a better option to have as there is less competition in the middle for us on the bench, if you take Gael, he has to fight any one of Kalou/Sturridge for a place on the bench. But Josh has proven he has the ability so afr and his played well. Our bench should read Turnbull,Ivanovic(when Alex is back) Zhirkov,Ramieres,Josh,Kalou,Sturridge. Leaving a starting team of Cech, Jose, JT, Alex, Cole, Mikel, Essien, Lamps, Anelka, Malouda, Drogba.

As much as I might not rate Kalou or Sturridge I really dont think Kakuta has shown enough to be getting ahead of them so I agree, Josh is more likely to get game time for either Mikel/Ramires in games.

I was a big fan of Bosingwa before his injury, I loved that we had two ashley coles on the wing to bomb at defenders and get crosses in!! but with Ivanovic having a team of the year performance while Bos was out I think he has grabbed that position for himself. It could take a long term injury to him or Alex to allow Bos to get back in!

Anyone but Paulo tho...
    To think Mourinho once said he was the best defender in the world...?!

Johner wrote: »
    The best result tonight is a draw, but the worst result for us would be a United win.

Draw would help us so much, but failing that, should Utd or Arsenal win we simply have to follow them and win, we have to put together a good run of games, maybe win 5 or 6 on the spin.

If we lose the next 2 games our season is on a very slippy slope and we arent out of December, but I fully believe we will win the next 2 games, with a bit of luck and as well as putting ina perforamnce we will take 6 points and be back in the mixer, not that we're too far out of it at the moment.

Believe lads, Carefree.

LanceStorm wrote: »
    As much as I might not rate Kalou or Sturridge I really dont think Kakuta has shown enough to be getting ahead of them so I agree, Josh is more likely to get game time for either Mikel/Ramires in games.

I was a big fan of Bosingwa before his injury, I loved that we had two ashley coles on the wing to bomb at defenders and get crosses in!! but with Ivanovic having a team of the year performance while Bos was out I think he has grabbed that position for himself. It could take a long term injury to him or Alex to allow Bos to get back in!

Anyone but Paulo tho...
    To think Mourinho once said he was the best defender in the world...?!

I also forgot we have Yossi out injured :eek:

But regardless, I think at RB we have the luxury of a good defender in Ivanovic or a good RWB in Bosingwa, it all depends on the game and opponent, I would play Jose as he is that bit better at going forward and his pace is an asset. Ivanovic was rock solid in his absence but I think with 3 in the middle we need WB's to bomb on and Ivanovic just lacks that bit of class, but he is the betetr defender, tough to call.

Paolo.......that is all.

Of all the striking options we have on the bench, Kalou is the best and i think, personally he has come on, still is a bit headless and against Newcastle his miss in the 2nd half was criminal and frustarting as he was playing well but Id expect it with him, Sturridge will come good, he has the pace and natural ability, dont know why we play him out wide on the right though :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

We had an easy run at the start of the season and did what we had to do.
    But no team can win every game and every team hits a dodgy patch.
    The league is no pushover, and plenty of teams are capable of taking points off one another. Its going to be a long season, but I still think we can do it. Super Frank has had a nice long rest now and any team would miss the 15-20 goals that he provides.
    Yes we have played badly and lost, but we have also played well and lost or drawn. I'm not worried, cos in some of those games we have played with heart and desire.
    Finally, no team is in anything like a run of form, Man U, Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool, Spurs are similer. Win, draw, draw, Lose, Win etc.
    Any team within 9 points of the top can still win it.
    Fergie, though I hate him but still admire his history, is right. You wait till Easter and then look around you.
    Chelsea will take a lot out of that draw, they know they should have won against a very good side and that, along with Frank back, will give them confidence. Man U arent playing well, so anything could happen.
    Its a great league isnt it? For a chelsea fan, its a bit like being back in the 70's or 80's. You get your hopes up, but that winning goal, just doesnt come along or you concede in the last 5 mins.
    Thats what changed with Mourinho, suddenly we started coming back and winning games or actually not losing or drawing from being 1-0 or 2-0 up.
    It actually took a while to adjust to that! Now we expect it.

Apologies for the length of time I took replying for starters.

The reason i'd still be a bit wary of Chelsea's form is the fact the although Chelsea played well in the second half against Spurs I'd always take into consideration that Spurs style of play allowed Chelsea to play well.
    Spurs were happy to hit Chelsea on the counter, even though they wasted more chances on the break than I could keep count of, Chelsea defended reasonably well, but Spurs were incredibly indecisive when going forward which may have flattered Chelsea slightly.
    Spurs weren't harsh enough on Chelsea in the second half when Chelsea started to attack them with purpose. You would have expected a Chelsea in better form to have demolished the laclustre Spurs.

The spaces Spurs left at the back for Chelsea to play in, especially in the second half gave Chelsea the opportunity to move the ball around and regain some of the fluidity of movement they've been denied against their most recent opponents.

To be fair, if you read the match thread you'll see that I predicted a 2-1 final score in favour of Chelsea at the beginning of the second half, based on how many chances Spurs wasted in the first half. Chelsea while not being at their best and possibly not deserving of winning the game certainly had the abilty to beat Spurs like they came so close to doing.

If United play a similar game to Spurs next Sunday I'd fully expect Chelsea to be able to beat them.
    Based on the fact that United have the ability to play on the break as well as break up Chelsea's play in the middle of the pitch and in the final third I'd expect either a slim victory for United or a draw.
    But players like Drogba and Lampard could easily be the difference and put in a great performance, but equally United have players also capable of doing so. That's the difference between top sides like Chlesea and United and the slightly soft centred Spurs.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Not an ideal result for us tonight - had hoped Rooney's peno miss could have been made to count by the Arse but as usual they were woeful against another top 4 team !

It puts an extra dollop of pressure on us to get the win on Sunday. That's our first task, then we can worry about how to approach the Arsenal away game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Well virtually 6 points behind united now, but at least we gained some ground on Arsenal , next sunday is more important then ever now - must win, we can't be 6 (or 9 !!!!!! :O :O :O) behind manure ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Well virtually 6 points behind united now, but at least we gained some ground on Arsenal , next sunday is more important then ever now - must win, we can't be 6 (or 9 !!!!!! :O :O :O) behind manure ..

I''m confident we can reduce it to 3 or whatever it is with their game in hand against them. Tonight wasn't great results wise, but it filled me with confidence as both teams were pretty poor. It's clear to see that Rooney isn't the same player anymore and their best player is probably Nani who I've never seen perform on a big stage. They have the old-guard like Scholes/Giggs who will always turn a half decent shift, but they haven't troubled us in a good few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I reckon we'll be 50 points behind by next week, AT LEAST!! :pac:

Lukker- wrote: »
    I''m confident we can reduce it to 3 or whatever it is with their game in hand against them. Tonight wasn't great results wise, but it filled me with confidence as both teams were pretty poor. It's clear to see that Rooney isn't the same player anymore and their best player is probably Nani who I've never seen perform on a big stage. They have the old-guard like Scholes/Giggs who will always turn a half decent shift, but they haven't troubled us in a good few years.

Best thing about Sunday is we know we can beat anyone on our day and that on our day we are the best team in England. I will however admit that we havn't had "our day" in about 2months but with Lamps back im very confident we will beat Utd.

Going on last night it was a typical Arsenal game against a big side, they bottled it. Utd didnt play overly well, but they didnt have to as Arsenal didnt threating them much so Utd didnt really get into any rhythm.

Im hoping to win both games, because I know we can.

Having Lamaprd back for this game is absolutely huge, apart from the back four we are nearly back to full strength and that will give us great confidence against United. Hats off to Paulo on Sunday he was very good and kept Bale quiet enough but you would still have to worry about him for this Sunday. I'm feeling confident we can beat United with Lamps back, this is a must win game if United win this they will be very very hard to peg back. Looking at our fixtures yes we did have an easy first 5 games but some of the away games we have played I'm glad we will have those teams at home the second part of the season as they are tough places to go.

Spurs,Villa,Pool,City and then places like Birmingham,Newcastle(should have won these two) and Blackburn. But honestly every team we play away is a tough place to go with our away form but it is nice to get some of the really tough ones out of the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Main thing sunday is we boss the midfield.And i think with Lamps and Essien we can do that :)

Only thing Im a small bit concerned about is our forward line, at the moment Anelka and Malouda look toothless, Drogba has the net again but missed that penalty so hopefully he wil be raring to go.

With Lamps back we have a threat running from deep that we missed so much. Bring on Utd Sunday, im watching it with a few Utd supporting buddies so if and when ;) we win, im going to celebrate like a mad thing. :p

yeah i can't wait for the game, ill be back in dublin too so hope to be winding up a few united fan mates ....

• Advertisement

This is where its all at : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/group.php?groupid=69 :cool:

CHELSEA STARS SPREAD CHRISTMAS CHEER
    Posted on: Tue 14 Dec 2010

The first team squad brought smiles to a host of young faces on Tuesday afternoon, visiting two children's wards at the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, before returning to Stamford Bridge for the Bridge Kids Christmas Party.

The visit to the hospital had been kept a secret, so imagine the surprise on the faces of the kids and their families when some of the world's top footballers walked in bearing gifts!

Each of the squad toured the Neptune and Jupiter wards to meet their young supporters, leaving behind autograph cards and goodie bags.

0,,10268~9269572,00.jpg

Ashley Cole was delighted to help out at what can be a difficult time of year on the paediatric wards.

'We enjoy coming down, a lot of the guys have kids and it really makes you appreciate how lucky you are,' said the defender. 'This is something we really enjoy doing, so to spend an afternoon here is no hardship for us.

'We see these young guys who have barely started their lives and are in a bad way, so to see them smile having heard from the nurses that they've not smiled in days, it's exactly why we come here.'

One of the youngsters who got to meet some familiar faces from the TV was seven-year-old Alfie Heaver, who has travelled to and from the hospital from home in Oxfordshire since 2007. Accompanied by mum Jo, Alfie was particularly pleased to meet John Terry and Didier Drogba, who insisted on having a photo taken at his bedside.

0,,10268~9269567,00.jpg

Paediatric service manager Jo Lutkin helped arrange the visit, and believes it makes a big difference to the children and their families.

'It was a really good, exciting day for us,' she said. 'To have the Chelsea team come in is massive, so many of the patients are seeing their heroes come in through the door. We always keep the visits quiet so it is always a huge surprise, and they really, really enjoy it.

'We've been lucky to have this for the last few years so there is always a level of anticipation among the staff as well, and it's really nice when the day comes. Everybody here works very hard and to see this flash of excitement is fantastic for the staff that work here as well.

'The players are absolutely unbelievable with the kids.'

Once the hospital visit was over, the team arrived back at the Bridge and headed straight into Frankie's Bar and Grill for the Help a London Child Christmas Party.

Over 80 children and their parents awaited their arrival and they were soon mingling with the crowd, signing autographs and posing for photos. Johnny Vaughan was also in attendance as a die-hard Chelsea fan and patron of the charity.

0,,10268~9269571,00.jpg

Once they'd met everyone, the players hosted a special raffle with unique Chelsea memorabilia for prizes before making their way to the West Stand and the Bridge Kids Christmas Party.

Hundreds of young Chelsea fans applied for a place at the event but only a lucky few were selected at random. They were treated to an afternoon of fun inside the stadium, with a DJ, food and entertainment, as well as an appearance from Father Christmas ahead of the players.

Once there the football stars posed for photos and signed autographs once again before Frank Lampard and Cole each captained a two-man team in a special Chelsea quiz. Lampard's team was triumphant and young Daniel won a signed Chelsea shirt.

:)

^^^^^

This is the kind of work that the players do that rarely gets mentioned in the media, not just at Chelsea but at all the clubs.

Its great to see the kids and players enjoying themselves and getting in the spirit.

Well done lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Its getting on time to start speculating over this weekend game lads.
    Are Anelka/Malouda/Drogba going to find the back of the net in open play?..Will Paulo start again, will we finally put an end to this poor run of form with one spirited victory over the Manchester boys?
    Or will we get beaten something cruel?

papagormo wrote: »
    Its getting on time to start speculating over this weekend game lads.
    Are Anelka/Malouda/Drogba going to find the back of the net in open play?..Will Paulo start again, will we finally put an end to this poor run of form with one spirited victory over the Manchester boys?
    Or will we get beaten something cruel?

Starting from the top, Anelka and Malouda we're both piss poor against Spurs so I wouldnt be surprised to see either benched but with Kalou or next best option Im not sure he will play so I think injury permitting we will stick with Drogba, Anelka, Malouda.

Paulo should start, I dont see any other option, if he does play expect Nani to be on his side of the pitch though. Against Bale he performed very well and Nani is quite similar, bags of pace but IMO posses more of a goal scoring threat coming in on his left or right.

We will end our bad results this weekend and we will beat Man Utd, I've been wrong before but I do reckon we will take 3 points off them, this will be our biggest game this year to date, its gonna be more important then 3 points, if we lose United got 5 points ahead of us with a game in hand and anyway you look at it, thats a disaster. Carlo will have the lads ready, JT will get the lads ready for battle and I dont care if its a scrappy 1 - 0 once we win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

gavredking wrote: »
    Starting from the top, Anelka and Malouda we're both piss poor against Spurs so I wouldnt be surprised to see either benched but with Kalou or next best option Im not sure he will play so I think injury permitting we will stick with Drogba, Anelka, Malouda.

Paulo should start, I dont see any other option, if he does play expect Nani to be on his side of the pitch though. Against Bale he performed very well and Nani is quite similar, bags of pace but IMO posses more of a goal scoring threat coming in on his left or right.

We will end our bad results this weekend and we will beat Man Utd, I've been wrong before but I do reckon we will take 3 points off them, this will be our biggest game this year to date, its gonna be more important then 3 points, if we lose United got 5 points ahead of us with a game in hand and anyway you look at it, thats a disaster. Carlo will have the lads ready, JT will get the lads ready for battle and I dont care if its a scrappy 1 - 0 once we win.

It would be 6 with a game in hand I think but don't think there is much chance of it anyway.

^
    Woops :o

wasnt to sure if it was 5 or 6, either way, I dont think we can afford to lose this game and draw wont do us any favours in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Eamo87

Quick question lads, i've been over to the bridge a good few times and i'm going again in january.

My question is: does anyone know where the best place is to meet the players? Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

I'm incredibly confident we'll beat United on Sunday...............that's all :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

The longer the better. We need stability.

Nice one , maybe it's a good thing that RA is concerned with the 2018 WC , might give Carlo more space ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

As a united fan im just hoping its 11v11 this year, we were desparately unlucky at stamford bridge last season, we played the better football and got done by the ref for the goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

As a united fan im just hoping its 11v11 this year, we were desparately unlucky at stamford bridge last season, we played the better football and got done by the ref for the goal

An absolute disgrace that Utd. dont get every single decision their way, only 95% of them. I dont think any of the big 4 can bleat about refs. compared to some of the teams lower down the league tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

dooferoaks wrote: »
    An absolute disgrace that Utd. dont get every single decision their way, only 95% of them. I dont think any of the big 4 can bleat about refs. compared to some of the teams lower down the league tbh.

Bull****e, we got done in our game at old trafford last season too

• Advertisement

And I suppose United have never had the rub of the green no?
    You are having a larf.

And the United goal was totally legit aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

About as good a draw as we could hope for really, Copenhagen. Funny Arsenal got Barca again.

About as good a draw as we could hope for really, Copenhagen. Funny Arsenal got Barca again.

Feck, woulda loved to face Arsenal in the final, I know there would be slim odds of it happening, but I can't see them beating Barca with Barca playing the way they are now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Yeah - gotta be ok with that all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Gonna get slaughtered against Barca :( good luck against Copenhagen....Bastards!:pac:

Im sickened we got that draw......Not! Happy days, hopefully we will be back in full fightin' mode at that stage.

Sucks to be an Arsenal supporter, their home game should be a pretty mouth watering tie.

Nice one ! , I was convinced we were gonna get AC Milan , Interesting tie with Barça - Arsenal - I will definetely be a gooooner for that one .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Lamps definitely starts Sunday

• Advertisement

No need to come in here with ****e like that, stop crying about last season and yeah it was really 12 v 11 in both games, that big wad of cash we gave the ref/linesman really helped us win the league, decisions will go for and against you in a season that's football, I bet you weren't complaining about the Macheda handball for the goal you scored at Old Trafford?

Anyway, I think it will be a draw on Sunday, hope I'm wrong but I think United will score early with us getting a late equalizer, but who knows the ref might even pop up at the back stick in injury time and nod in a late winner for us.:rolleyes:

As for the CL draw, that is the best tie we could have got although Copenhagen will be no pushovers we should have way too much quality for them and hopefully by then we will be firing on all cylinders.

Bring on Sunday, great news about Super Frank!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2010/dec/17/joy-of-six-2010-memories

nothing mentioned about Chelsea's 1st domestic double + record amount of goals scored ...

Shame - then again you all know what I think about the media and Chelsea :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Think it will tight like last year and we'll beat them 1-0, Drogs will score and an assist by FL, I bloody hope so I'm after making my prediction on bluetinted.co.uk. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Lads, I've got a good feeling about Sunday. COME ON YOU BLUES!

Oh yeah !!!! Come on the blues !!! Let's beat these PHONEYS !!!

Welcome back Frank

3932027769_e2a4301c06_z.jpg?zz=1

Game off. :(

• Advertisement

Game off. :(

But......But....We were just about to unleash the fury :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Oh yeah !!!! Come on the blues !!! Let's beat these PHONEYS !!!

Welcome back Frank

3932027769_e2a4301c06_z.jpg?zz=1

Looks like they didn't even have the stones to play those "phoneys" yet.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Looks like they didn't even have the stones to play those "phoneys" yet.

Get over yourself ffs, there's been games cancelled all over the country, how does this mean Chelsea "don't have the stones"?

In fairness Monkey is talking ****e as usual. I cringe at most of his posts.

In fairness Monkey is talking ****e as usual. I cringe at most of his posts.

Oh I ignore monkey's post, and I cringed when I read they "phoney's" thing. I just know we're gonna have to listen to the United fans talking shite about us canceling the match on purpose. I think it's fair to say all the fans on here were fairly confident of a win, we certainly have no reason to do something like this.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement