Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11 (mod warning in post #7124)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Yeah there is no way it was called off because of that, it's the weather simple as that. Sure we aren't in great form but we haven't lost to United at the bridge in something like 9 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

But sure the Arsenal vs Stoke game got called off as did some of the Championship clubs that are situated in or around London so in fariness, hardly a case of putting off the game and blaming the weather, it can't be played for safety reasons, simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

papagormo wrote: »
    But sure the Arsenal vs Stoke game got called off as did some of the Championship clubs that are situated in or around London so in fariness, hardly a case of putting off the game and blaming the weather, it can't be played for safety reasons, simple as.

There's a whole day to fix it tbh. I do think Chelsea were more than happy to get the game called off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

SantryRed wrote: »
    There's a whole day to fix it tbh. I do think Chelsea were more than happy to get the game called off.

Wasn't Chelsea it was the council who made the final decision. They could take the chance and rush gritting the roads, but what would you prefer as a fan, not being 100% sure if the match was gonna be played but travelling just in case and then finding out that the match was called off? It's the responsible thing do ffs, but I'm sure your expert analysis is much better than anyone elses.

Fix what exactly? :confused: The snow falling out of the sky?

Reigning champions Chelsea had been preparing for the top-of-the-table encounter against the current leaders Manchester United.

However, due to the unprecedented snow and freezing conditions in West London, Police and the local authorities had no other option but to call the fixture off.

Conditions -1(max day) to -5 (max night) tomorrow in London, not a fear of Berba togging out in that!
    Source

One could argue, if the situations were reversed with Chelsea heading to Manchester with United on a poor run in form, would Sir Alex go all out to have get game go ahead? Realistically, doubtful. I'm pretty sure not even Chelsea can swindle the local authorities to cancel gritting the roads for the sake of a game getting postponed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Some simple Utd fans are suggesting it was done on purpose:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Here are a few scarves and jumpers lads in case it's a bit cold. Wrap up well now, hate if ye came down with some sniffles.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

Essien wrote: »
    Oh I ignore monkey's post, and I cringed when I read they "phoney's" thing. I just know we're gonna have to listen to the United fans talking shite about us canceling the match on purpose. I think it's fair to say all the fans on here were fairly confident of a win, we certainly have no reason to do something like this.

Chelsea havent been in great form lately and the winning feeling hasnt graced the club in a long time. Dont know how you would be confident of win against united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Chelsea havent been in great form lately and the winning feeling hasnt graced the club in a long time. Dont know how you would be confident of win against united.

Because we are just about back at full strength, were unlucky not to win last week away at Spurs and I think we all had the feeling that the team would be really up for this match. Not to mention the fact United havn't won ther in the league in a long time. Just an overall good feeling about the game more so than confidence I suppose.

• Advertisement

cringe

According to the lads on Soccer Saturday, the papers are suggesting Carlo wants Tevez and Dzeko (I think, I only caught the very end of it to be honest)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

papagormo wrote: »
    According to the lads on Soccer Saturday, the papers are suggesting Carlo wants Tevez and Dzeko (I think, I only caught the very end of it to be honest)

Ye don't really spend that kinda money anymore. Those two would cost at least 60 mill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I dunno what to make of Tevez tbh, he's a proven goalscorer in the league alright but is he really worth the hassle? I have a feeling somebody will take a punt on him and eventually wind up with the finished article and a very very useful player, but atm he's still obviously a very precious little thing and I don't know if we need that in the squad.

In other news, I was really looking forward to returning to the top of the league this evening, sickened it was called off.

Not fond of Tevez and I'd think Dzeko is too much of a risk considering the fee you'd pay for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

I for one would absolutely love Teves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

I for one would absolutely love Teves

Bet you would love Tevez even more though:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

The time to have bought Tevez was when he was leaving West Ham IMO. We wouldn't be farting around in 4 th position with a mis firing Kalou at this point in time if we did, IMO.

Still a great player though, probably closer to Heathrow for him and those direct flights back to Argi :D

• Advertisement

I'd love Tevez, he is a fantastic player but he's been a wanker at every club he's been at so can't see how it would be any different with us after he gets bored.

No game today makes me sad. :(

Didier Drogba wants a two-year contract extension at Chelsea
    Chelsea striker Didier Drogba is believed to be keen to secure a two-year contract extension at the west London club.

The Blues' forward has 18 months left on his current deal at Stamford Bridge, and will be 34 by the time that contract expires.

The News of the World claims that the upper echelon at the club are reluctant to bow to the forward's desire to play for two more years, owing to his diminished form in recent weeks, though the effects of a bout of malaria may well have contributed to that.

There have been suggestions that the Ivory Coast international is past his prime, with some quarters citing the fact that the hitman was benched for last week's crucial encounter against Tottenham Hotspur.

To his credit, however, the former Olympique Marseille man came on to score the leveller. And he had the opportunity to grab the winner, too, with a spot-kick, though the 32-year-old was unable to convert the penalty and the game ended all square at one-apiece.

Drogba is currently 16th in the Castrol Rankings, down from ninth the previous month.

Meanwhile, there are also reports that the Chelsea squad may have lost some of its unity following the sacking of popular assistant manager Ray Wilkins. His dismissal has coincided with a slump in form that has seen the team slip from first to fourth and fail to win any of their last five Premier League fixtures.

Hopefully he get's a new contract, would love Drogba to finish his career here and then get involved in coaching or something along those lines with us, he is a Chelsea legend and has been an absolute monster for us.

Still plenty of life in the Drogs yet, would hope he stays around, he really is some player.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Interesting reading eh guys?

http://therepublikofmancunia.com/can-chelsea-justify-postponement/

Would love to have the game over and done with by now.

On the lookout for a new keeper if the rumour mills are to believed. Link
    Wouldn't for a minute consider allowing Cech to leave, far too good a keeper.

and Danny off on loan to Liverpool, Link
    wouldn't think/hope there is a grain of truth in it.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Interesting reading eh guys?

http://therepublikofmancunia.com/can-chelsea-justify-postponement/

Would love to have the game over and done with by now.

We played well against Spurs, have Lampard back fit and ready to go, I can't imagine Ancelotti or the players are happy about the game being postponed we were at home and have a great record against United in recent times at the Bridge. Sure we are not in the best of form as late but the Spurs performance would have given us confidence and the return of Lampard is a huge boost. We have Arsenal next week where as United have Sunderland at home, we are hardly making it easier for ourselves by having this weekends game off. all this running scared bull**** is cringworthy from the United fans that actually believe that shit.

That site is laughable mate, they have an article on why the cancellation is a good thing. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

That's great news, all he has to do now is start putting in some decent shifts, when he is given the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

smuckers wrote: »

Dont know what to make of it reall, coentrao would be a good addition, could see Zhirkov getting the chop.

I seem to remember a few years back that he was going be the next big thing as far as attacking left back or left wingers were concerned, a few big names were after the lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Would he be deployed as a defender or winger tho. Could be more competition for malouda/kalou/kakuta than to ashley/PVH if anything.

Either way, yuri is ****ed, unless he sees himself as a central midfielder.

• Advertisement

I really really like Coentrao, he was Portugals best players at the WC by a long shot, only 22 aswell.

Clifford has had his loan extended at Plymouth by another month, seems to be doing well there.

Johner wrote: »
    Clifford has had his loan extended at Plymouth by another month, seems to be doing well there.

Seems to be getting some good game time and that can only help the young lad, hopefully he can make the step up with us in the next year or two.

Good news, hopefully he will start showing what he's made of sooner rather than later, we all know he has got the ability but he has to show it now everytime he gets he chance.

I suppose it's easy to forget how young he is. Still think with time and more importantly the right attitude he will be world class.

Think he will come good, needs to improve tactically though.

Anyone think The G Man will now be given more playing time????

HOME AND AWAY: JOHN MIKEL OBI
    Posted on: Tue 21 Dec 2010

This week's instalment sees the Nigerian midfielder reject some allegations on aftershave usage, and talks us through an African Christmas...

HOME

How do things work at Cobham for you?

I am next to Essien and Jose Bosingwa, with Drogba there too. They are very funny guys, but in the dressing room we all speak to each other. Everyone gets on very well, we come in every morning and always have something to talk about, laughing together. I only rarely stay for lunch, when I finish training I like to go home and put my feet up.

Which of your team-mates impressed you so far this season?

(Mikel allows a wide smile to spread across his face)

You're not allowed to choose yourself...

(Laughter) I wanted to! Everyone has done their bit really, and the team has played quite well from the start of the season, apart from the last few games but I know we'll be okay and turn it around.

Does the crowd ever grab your attention during a game?

Sometimes I don't think there is anyone else in the stadium except the people on the pitch, you have to be totally focused and shut everything out.

You're renowned by Salomon Kalou as being very noticeable on the pitch, is it true you spray yourself with aftershave before the game?

(At this point Kalou appears to confirm the rumour, that the midfielder covers his jersey) I never do that before a game! But before I leave the hotel, or my house, I will spray myself.

What's the most memorable dressing down you've experienced at half-time?

It was Mourinho at Watford. It was 0-0 at half-time, we went into the dressing room and he just destroyed everyone.

(Kalou reappears saying: 'And after that I scored!')

Yes, we came on and changed the game!

What is 'home' for you?

Africa, always.

AWAY

Which other sports do you enjoy?

I like to watch and play tennis, and play basketball as well, I'm pretty good.

Do you possess any other hidden talents?

Not that I know of!

What is a typical Christmas for Mikel?

In the last five years it is playing football. This year we have Christmas off, but nothing will happen! In Africa people go to church, and then the next day they have fun, drinking and eating with the family. I can't do that obviously because we are playing on the 27th!

What is your favourite place to get away from it all?

My house. I go home and just switch off. When I'm there I can relax, it's just me and I can do what I want to do, put the TV on and clear my mind. I don't watch much football.

Great to see Gael signing on for a new contract, I woould hate to have lost him and then for him to turn into a world beater. He has along way to go before that though and hopefully he can acheive it with us, he has all the ability in the world so hopefully he can start showing it more.

• Advertisement

Seems Lukaku is staying at Anderlecht until the end of the season at least, probably good news if we are going to sign him, this really needs to happen can see him moving to us or Real Madrid.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9301949.stm

Seems Lukaku is staying at Anderlecht until the end of the season at least, probably good news if we are going to sign him, this really needs to happen can see him moving to us or Real Madrid.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9301949.stm

He will be gone in the summer, I can see him coming to the EPL over La Liga as I think the style of the EPL woudl suit him better and what better role model then our current destroyer, Didier, to show him the ropes for a few years.

article-0-0A6C476A000005DC-519_468x500.jpg

article-0-0A6C476E000005DC-245_468x351.jpg

He even looks a bit like Drogba in the second picture. ;)

Nice pics, hopefully he will be playing in Chelsea blue next year, woould be an ideal replacement for Drogba, I can imagine a team with Sturridge, Kakuta, Lukaku, Josh, Van Annholt, Bruma, that is a team with huge potential in afew years, and we have Matic to come back too.

Its all good at Chelsea :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Seems like it didn't go through

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/p/plymouth_argyle/9313579.stm

Play him against Ipswich please.

Good to see Kakuta signing for another 4 years. I don't think he's been given enough chances this season, especially when we have been missing players.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Seems like it didn't go through

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/p/plymouth_argyle/9313579.stm

Play him against Ipswich please.

Good to see Kakuta signing for another 4 years. I don't think he's been given enough chances this season, especially when we have been missing players.

Bad news for Clifford, by all accounts he was doing well with them. If he can step up and is giving the chance we could have ourselves a future star for both Chelsea and Rep of Ireland.

Yeah would have been good for him to stay with them another month and possibly longer, I'm sure he will get another offer though.

Happy Christmas to all on the best thread in the soccer forum. Let's hope we celebrate with a win on Monday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Happy Christmas to all on the best thread in the soccer forum. Let's hope we celebrate with a win on Monday :D

You mean Sunday!

Merry Christmas to all.

• Advertisement

Fiskar wrote: »
    You mean Sunday!

Merry Christmas to all.

Nope Monday!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement