Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11 (mod warning in post #7124)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

gavredking wrote: »
    I just want us to beat Villa, plain and simple. They shipped 4 against City without threating to much so I think there is no reason to doubt we cant beat them comfortably, in saying that I'll be happy to take a scrappy 3 points once we keep winning.

Im not worried about United, City, Spurs, as long as we get our house in order and the results and perforamnces up to scratch thats all that matters to me. I wouldnt mind a helping hand though. :pac:

Completely agree.
    Its the old but true saying.
    You CANT control what other teams do, all you can do is beat what is put in front of YOU.
    I'd take 1-0 deflections off somebodys bony backside till we lift the trophy again in May at this stage.
    (But beat Barca at Wembley 6-0 in the Champ League final :D)

I was as shocked as everyone at the bunch of strangers\alien abductee's who scrapped a win over Bolton, but if thats what it takes, so be it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Benfica are saying that they have rejected a £17m bid for David Luiz from us.

Rumours are that Carlo may have £40m to spend in Jan, but will be relucant to use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Lukker- wrote: »
    Benfica are saying that they have rejected a £17m bid for David Luiz from us.

Rumours are that Carlo may have £40m to spend in Jan, but will be relucant to use it.

That kind of money can be better spent in the summer IMO, I think yes, we need some squad players and a striker more importantly but rushing out to spend for the sake of it would be reckless. I dont see us dipping to much into thee transfer market in January, we need some strength but buying anybody in January is always risky.

Maybe a stop gap at CB and a FW though, only time will tell, not long till the transfer window opens and SSN links anything and everything to the big teams. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

gavredking wrote: »
    Maybe a stop gap at CB and a FW though, only time will tell, not long till the transfer window opens and SSN links anything and everything to the big teams. :rolleyes:

someone who can take corners would be a great move, everyone else seems incapable of delivering consistent corners that beat the first defender. Agree though any jan signing is usually a waste, cause more disruption and rarely add to the overall team in the short term.

Unless he bought a proven premiership player who at least wouldn't have to acclimatise and learn english.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

growler wrote: »
    someone who can take corners would be a great move, everyone else seems incapable of delivering consistent corners that beat the first defender. Agree though any jan signing is usually a waste, cause more disruption and rarely add to the overall team in the short term.

Unless he bought a proven premiership player who at least wouldn't have to acclimatise and learn english.

Yep because the proven Premiership players we bought this season have really settled quickly, and not had excuses made for them like their confidence is low or that they are still settling into a new area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Wouldn't mind seeing Cahill arriving in January, but I would imagine that he wants to play week in week out rather than fighting for a place. I threw the idea of getting Dunne in a few pages back, would be a handy/cheap enough signing to fill the gap in defence until Alex returns.
    Up front, lets head to Newcastle and get Carroll in!:pac:

Kess73 wrote: »
    Yep because the proven Premiership players we bought this season have really settled quickly, and not had excuses made for them like their confidence is low or that they are still settling into a new area.

bit harsh on Benayoun , he got injured in his second game !

I like Cahill, but he is dreadfully slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

With Ivanovic suspended I really hope Bruma will play, Ferriera at CB makes me cry.

I think we have been unlucky with injurys.
    You could see the plan and it made sense.
    The new rules meant that we couldnt go out and spend even if Roman decided to go without that new boat.
    So, offload a few high earners who really were only back up players.
    Have the young, cheap and hungry kids as backup.
    Get in a couple of experienced players for backup. Benyoun, Ramires.
    Nobody expected us at, various times, to loose all but one fullback. Both leftbacks or both right backs. The new guys we had got in for cover! Lampard, who had hardly missed a game in his entire career. Drogba's illness, Essien getting injured .. again! And Essien's silly booking losing him for 3 games against physical opponents.
    But we didnt really miss a lot of core players when they went the african nations
    Kalou, as we suspected, is not a regular, but a sub. A hangover from when Mourino didnt have the backing of Roman.
    Ramires, still finding his way around the english game and life here. He is getting better, amd might make a Malouda-ish impact yet.
    Danny - would have loved to seen him have a chance of starting for 3 games in a row, but unlucky again

Of those that have gone, IMHO

Ballack. I never really rated him, even though Lampard took his position, I still cant think of a game where I remember him making a real difference
    Belleti - again, effective backup player - no more
    Cavallo -now, he is the exception, but he wanted to leave, and we were lucky to get another season out of him
    Cole - Could make a difference off the bench, but too infrequent. Has been found out at Liverpool
    Deco - again, never really set the world on fire, joined us past his best.

For the Jan window, we still need that game changer, Robben type player, who can do the unexpected and give everyone a bit of a thrill!

But you cant make excuses, just look at how close Man U ran us last season playing midfielders at the back!

Win at Villa, and its still game on.
    Wonder how many kids he will play against Ipswich? Can he afford to?

• Advertisement

I think we have been unlucky with injurys.
    You could see the plan and it made sense.
    The new rules meant that we couldnt go out and spend even if Roman decided to go without that new boat.
    So, offload a few high earners who really were only back up players.
    Have the young, cheap and hungry kids as backup.
    Get in a couple of experienced players for backup. Benyoun, Ramires.
    Nobody expected us at, various times, to loose all but one fullback. Both leftbacks or both right backs. The new guys we had got in for cover! Lampard, who had hardly missed a game in his entire career. Drogba's illness, Essien getting injured .. again! And Essien's silly booking losing him for 3 games against physical opponents.
    But we didnt really miss a lot of core players when they went the african nations
    Kalou, as we suspected, is not a regular, but a sub. A hangover from when Mourino didnt have the backing of Roman.
    Ramires, still finding his way around the english game and life here. He is getting better, amd might make a Malouda-ish impact yet.
    Danny - would have loved to seen him have a chance of starting for 3 games in a row, but unlucky again

Of those that have gone, IMHO

Ballack. I never really rated him, even though Lampard took his position, I still cant think of a game where I remember him making a real difference
    Belleti - again, effective backup player - no more
    Cavallo -now, he is the exception, but he wanted to leave, and we were lucky to get another season out of him
    Cole - Could make a difference off the bench, but too infrequent. Has been found out at Liverpool
    Deco - again, never really set the world on fire, joined us past his best.

For the Jan window, we still need that game changer, Robben type player, who can do the unexpected and give everyone a bit of a thrill!

But you cant make excuses, just look at how close Man U ran us last season playing midfielders at the back!

Win at Villa, and its still game on.
    Wonder how many kids he will play against Ipswich? Can he afford to?

Have to disagree about Ballack, his contribution wasn't the same as it was at Bayern but he was playing a different position. He was an incredibly important player last season, he could sit deep as a persitent DM and he also had a great passing range with a fantastic pass completition rate, we miss him similiar to how Liverpool miss Alonso.

Anyway lads, hopefully we can get a fresh start in 2011, get a nice run going like we did last January.

Happy new year to ye all.

Anyway lads, hopefully we can get a fresh start in 2011, get a nice run going like we did last January.

And a Happy Winning New Year to you all as well.

Better say it now whilst still sober, or it will undying love come midnight!

Johner wrote: »
    With Ivanovic suspended I really hope Bruma will play, Ferriera at CB makes me cry.

No tears shall be shed Johner!
    Bruma starts

Happy New year to all the regular and new Chelsea boards posters, lets hope the tide turns for the better!:pac:

here's hoping all the chelsea squad are tucked up in bed by 9pm tonight, no new year hangover to contend with. Great to see Bruma get his game.

happy new year all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

papagormo wrote: »
    Bruma starts

Happy New year to all the regular and new Chelsea boards posters, lets hope the tide turns for the better!:pac:

:D

Very happy with this. :)

And a Happy New year to all the Chelsea lads. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

And a Happy Winning New Year to you all as well.

Better say it now whilst still sober, or it will undying love come midnight!
    Bruma starts

growler wrote: »
    here's hoping all the chelsea squad are tucked up in bed by 9pm tonight, no new year hangover to contend with. Great to see Bruma get his game.

happy new year all.
    Johner wrote: »
    :D

Very happy with this. :)

And a Happy New year to all the Chelsea lads. :)

Happy New Year to one and all, 3 points against Villa would be the perfect start, lets hope for a better start to 2011 then the end of 2010.

Carefree

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

gonna need some luck tomorrow I suspect - all the BAD decisions that are ultimately going against us today is UNREAL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Would like to see Carlo bring in Cahill or Jagielka maybe even Phil Jones if he wasn't injured. Also think we need another attacking winger because Kalou isn't reliable enough there for me.

Should be an interesting month anyway by getting linked to every player in the league. Have seen Luiz in action maybe a dozen times this season and would still rather a player from the premier laegue as they would be able to settle in straight away and language would not be a matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The dream is: Schweinsteiger and Aguero...:D

The reality will be, unfortunately, quite different, I'm sure!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Maybe in the summer, but alast it should have been last summer to bag Aquerro and the Swinetagger! How can a team that looked sublime up to mid October suddenly become so old?
    Anyway Blackburn away beckons, juniors third match and yes he has still yet to see a win.
    Come on the Blues!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

gonna need some luck tomorrow I suspect - all the BAD decisions that are ultimately going against us today is UNREAL.

now thats impressive, having decisions go against you when you dont even play!

id pack it in if i was you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Cech
    Terry
    Bruma
    Cole
    Ferreira
    Essien
    Lamps
    Ramieres
    Anelka
    Drogba
    Malouda

Bench:
    Turnbull Bosingwa Mellis Mceachran Kalou Sturridge

An absolute joke. We'll struggle for 4th this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Indeed, amazing, how a team can fall like this is laughable, so dissapointing especially after it looked like Terry won it for us .

Someone mentioned a few days ago we could do a Leeds on it (no disrespect towards Leeds) I thought at the time it was ridicolous, now not so sure, could really happen - especially if Carlo walks (I don't want him to walk)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Absolutely atrocious stuff. Even for the few seconds we were ahead I was thinking we would have to read between the lines, the players look like shadows of what they are capable of. I keep saying we're still in it as long as we're within a few points in March but its looking less and less likely that that will even be the case.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

gutted. Play so poor throughout. Need to strengthen the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

i just dont understand whats happened...

My post mortem shall be brief.
    Carlo, Bosingwa is a better player than Paulo, stop dícking around and play Bosingwa.
    Malouda and Anelka need to be benched in order to remind them that they are far from being undroppable. Josh and Danny are in the wings, I'd consider taking a chance on them at this stage. God knows Malouda has done sweet shag all of late, and Anelka thinks hes a midfielder half the time.

Anelka and Flo are a disgrace, well played Lamps and also Bruma put in a good shift!

I don't think we can regain ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Think it's all about Europe this season. Gutted with their equaliser, thought cech should have claimed it and slowed the game down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Unfortunately I think Its all about top 4 this season.

We won't win CL (or come anywhere close) and league is gone so realistically we need to keep our eye on top 4 place.
    Think it's all about Europe this season. Gutted with their equaliser, thought cech should have claimed it and slowed the game down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Too much ground has been lost now. Yes, we could play and beat United twice (not f*ckin likely) and end their title hopes, but not for out own benefit, but for Arsenal's. We have lost too much ground to United and Arsenal, so even if we managed by some miracle to beat United home and away, nobody would gain apart from Arsenal.

Now sitting in 5th, looking up at Spurs, City, Arsenal and United. How bad is that.

Thought Terry had it won for us today... Absolutely gutted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

I posted this on the are Chelsea done thread but I want to see what are your opinions.

The main problems with Chelsea at the moment is the squad and the academy in my opinion.

Since signing Shevchenko and Ballack it appears like Roman Abramovich has pursued a policy of self sustainability and an effort has been made to bring through youth players. Vast swathes of money has been spent to bring in these young players, the like of Kakuta, Michael Woods and Slobodan Rajkovic. None of which have progressed to nailing down a place in the first. Josh McEachran looks the best player of the lot and ironically he has been on the books since he was very young.

All these young players have been purchased, wages payed for, coaches brought in and payed for yet no one is justifying the expenditure. Its virtually impossible to build a team from a youth academy within 5 years. 10 years it took Arsene Wenger to really be able through young players regularly. Even La Masia only began to produce regular quality players within the last 15 years having been around for the previous 15.

Thus Abramovich began to depend on the academy far too early when he needed to keep investing money to keep Chelsea at the top. Players such as Carvalho and Ballack have not been adequately replaced and the new players arrived have not been of the required standard, e.g Ramires and Yuri Zhirkov neither of whom have justified their £18 million pound moves. Abramovich didn't need to keep spending what he used to but the policy of signing one major player a summer has backfired, more people left than came in and now Chelsea are bereft of depth in their squad.

Chelsea at the moment to my eyes have 17 decent, proven players on their books. That's not enough to fill a first team and a bench. The young players aren't good enough and when injuries, suspensions and loss of form occur like the past month and a half, there is no one capable of deputising to the level previous. Comparing this squad with the depth of City, Spurs or United it is little wonder such a dramatic loss of form has been witnessed.

As the squad is now older and the best players into their 30's I think that the squad needs to be rebuilt. Whether Abramovich has the heart for that or the ability to get in the manager necessary I do not know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I posted this on the are Chelsea done thread but I want to see what are your opinions.

The main problems with Chelsea at the moment is the squad and the academy in my opinion.

Since signing Shevchenko and Ballack it appears like Roman Abramovich has pursued a policy of self sustainability and an effort has been made to bring through youth players. Vast swathes of money has been spent to bring in these young players, the like of Kakuta, Michael Woods and Slobodan Rajkovic. None of which have progressed to nailing down a place in the first. Josh McEachran looks the best player of the lot and ironically he has been on the books since he was very young.

All these young players have been purchased, wages payed for, coaches brought in and payed for yet no one is justifying the expenditure. Its virtually impossible to build a team from a youth academy within 5 years. 10 years it took Arsene Wenger to really be able through young players regularly. Even La Masia only began to produce regular quality players within the last 15 years having been around for the previous 15.

Thus Abramovich began to depend on the academy far too early when he needed to keep investing money to keep Chelsea at the top. Players such as Carvalho and Ballack have not been adequately replaced and the new players arrived have not been of the required standard, e.g Ramires and Yuri Zhirkov neither of whom have justified their £18 million pound moves. Abramovich didn't need to keep spending what he used to but the policy of signing one major player a summer has backfired, more people left than came in and now Chelsea are bereft of depth in their squad.

Chelsea at the moment to my eyes have 17 decent, proven players on their books. That's not enough to fill a first team and a bench. The young players aren't good enough and when injuries, suspensions and loss of form occur like the past month and a half, there is no one capable of deputising to the level previous. Comparing this squad with the depth of City, Spurs or United it is little wonder such a dramatic loss of form has been witnessed.

As the squad is now older and the best players into their 30's I think that the squad needs to be rebuilt. Whether Abramovich has the heart for that or the ability to get in the manager necessary I do not know.
    Agreed with your post up until the last part, he definitely has the necessary manager.

DazMarz wrote: »
    Too much ground has been lost now. Yes, we could play and beat United twice (not f*ckin likely) and end their title hopes, but not for out own benefit, but for Arsenal's. We have lost too much ground to United and Arsenal, so even if we managed by some miracle to beat United home and away, nobody would gain apart from Arsenal.

Now sitting in 5th, looking up at Spurs, City, Arsenal and United. How bad is that.

Well, we are only 4 points behind Arsenal, virtually 9 behind united so Man u are the biggest obstacle plus Arsenal will drop more points - i'm sure of that.

Having said that we will of course drop points too.

As it's most likely not gonna be us, I hope united or city win it , couldn't stand the Wenger "Told you so" gloats ....

Guy never has one good word to say about any other club in england - ever, can't stand the guy

/rant

CSF wrote: »
    Agreed with your post up until the last part, he definitely has the necessary manager.

I'm working off the assumption that Ancellotti will be gone by the summer when investing will be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

DazMarz wrote: »

6 points is nothing tbh, United are still struggling away from home and Arsenal are Arsenal so in theory will drop points so i wouldn't count anyone out just yet..
    I thought when you grinded the 1.0 against Bolton that it might start a run of wins to get going again but the performance reminded me of Uniteds away performances.

Anyone else think the players know that Carlo is going and his replacement is already lined up????
    This would explain the poor performances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

the_monkey wrote: »
    Well, we are only 4 points behind Arsenal, virtually 9 behind united so Man u are the biggest obstacle plus Arsenal will drop more points - i'm sure of that.

As it's most likely not gonna be us, I hope united or city win it , couldn't stand the Wenger "Told you so" gloats ....

Guy never has one good word to say about any other club in england - ever, can't stand the guy

/rant

Nonsense

http://www.portugoal.net/index.php/more-manchester-united-news/18023-wenger-praises-virtuoso-nani

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2920/league-cup/2010/10/27/2185631/arsenal-manager-arsene-wenger-praises-charismatic-andy

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xertf2_wenger-praises-ferguson-on-the-big_news

http://justchelsea.com/wenger-praises-anelka-but-still-thinks-arsenal-will-win/1095

http://www.fansfc.com/story/26629.html

Is that enough for you to realise your mistake or do you want me to go on?

• Advertisement

/rant
    greendom wrote: »

The Monkey just got incinerated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

the_monkey wrote: »

/rant
    Heartily agree Monkey - ABBA for me - City well placed I reckon and thats before their January buys. But I could live with that. Thats it - I'm backing Team Bridge aaaaaggghhhhh:o:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

My post mortem shall be brief.
    Carlo, Bosingwa is a better player than Paulo, stop dícking around and play Bosingwa.

100% agree, Ferreira has no place being at Chelsea these days and the constant swapping of both is a joke. Neither are good defenders, but at least Bosingwa gets forward effectively.
    Malouda and Anelka need to be benched in order to remind them that they are far from being undroppable. Josh and Danny are in the wings, I'd consider taking a chance on them at this stage. God knows Malouda has done sweet shag all of late, and Anelka thinks hes a midfielder half the time.

Agree again. Something needs to change-if not the manager, then the players on the pitch. The younger players can't play any worse than what I've seen over the past few weeks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Well ,

IMO the league is more than likely done , to hold on for the win today would have been massive for us , the draw was equally massive but in the negative sense .

United , are playing bad enough Arsenal are like Jackyl and Hyde , to me City are the only team playing with a bit of consistency .

I dont want to see Carlo getting the boot , we need stability at this club.

I reckon we take the rest of this season as a building block for the next and make sure we get our champions league spot for next season , really blood in these youngsters now as we have nothing to loose.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Ferriera has his place in the team, but it should be that of a more behind the scenes role. He should be tutoring our youngsters and getting the odd sub appearance but that should be it. He has been great for the club over the years and I think there is a role for him. Just keep him away from the first team.

smuckers wrote: »
    Anyone else think the players know that Carlo is going and his replacement is already lined up????
    This would explain the poor performances

Not at all.
    Unless it looks certain we will drop out of a champ league place AND/OR the players start blaming Carlo, I dont think Roman will sack Carlo.
    The players trust Carlo, I mean he's not doing anything mad is he? Playing people wildly out of position, etc?
    And we know his hands are tied, and he would have liked to have had 100 mill to refresh the squad!

1/ Because it took a lot and a long time to get him
    2/ Another massive payoff, doesnt help the books
    3/ A good run, to at least the Champ League Semis would help
    4/ FA Cup would help
    5/ The season is still a long way from over. Yes we are behind, but the top teams have to play each other at least once
    6/ The Jan transfer window
    7/ He knows it will look bad and knows he needs manager consistancy. He's no fool no matter how much he "meddles".

We will get a big clue as to which way the wind is blowing in the Jan transfer window.
    If Carlo is backed, and brings in a good player, its shows faith on both sides.
    Defence is the weakest link at the moment, as Drogba pointed out to Terry!!!

It looks bad, but if we can pull off either big trophy and stay top four, it could be our greatest ever season.
    You dont win or lose it on Jan 2nd!

I'd love to see who would take temporary charge if he was sacked! Who's the bloke who puts the cones out these days???!!!!

The Monkey just got incinerated!!

meh, always getting incinerated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

d22ontour wrote: »
    6 points is nothing tbh, United are still struggling away from home and Arsenal are Arsenal so in theory will drop points so i wouldn't count anyone out just yet..
    I thought when you grinded the 1.0 against Bolton that it might start a run of wins to get going again but the performance reminded me of Uniteds away performances.

Problem is, it's not just 6 points.

It's 6 points with an inferior goal difference and having played a game more. It's virtually 10 points atm.

Problem is, it's not just 6 points.

It's 6 points with an inferior goal difference and having played a game more. It's virtually 10 points atm.

Well we can hopefully* get 6 of them back, problem is with Arsenal we have played 'em twice allready..

* Hopefully being the operative word here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think the criticism of Malouda and Anelka is a little unfair tbh. 3 goals were scored yesterday so it seems pretty obvious the problems are defensive not up front. Did you drop points at any point last year after scoring 3 goals?

EDIT - I still stand behind Malouda but looking at the stats, Anelka has gone a long time without scoring - thought he did ok yesterday though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement