Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11 (mod warning in post #7124)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Would be good to see Luiz brought in.

If ya look at our defence, its a very good defence, one of the best in the EPL and Europe, but only when we have all our players available. Luiz would be a great addition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Lukaku has not signed for City but they are interested. It was a story made up by an agent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

25 Mil for Luiz, who will end up warming the bench is absolutely pointless. The money should be spent on someone who can give a bit of creativity up front.

Bruma is plenty of cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Luiz wont be warming any bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I would hazard the guess that if Luiz were brought in, he would be placed alongside Terry with immediate effect, with Ivanovic and Bosingwa (provided he is still at the club) getting rotated at RB. (I suggested the notion of playing Bosingwa as an attacking midfielder last season, given his pace and ability to cut inside, as well as being defencively capable, especially if Ivanovic were playing RB)
    Ivanovic would also provide cover to Luiz or Terry should either get injured. I think that Bruma, while very good cover, may need a few more substitute appearances under his belt before stepping up to the mark properly. Possibly see more of him next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

V9 wrote: »
    25 Mil for Luiz, who will end up warming the bench is absolutely pointless. The money should be spent on someone who can give a bit of creativity up front.

Bruma is plenty of cover.

I disagree. Terry is carrying an injury and has longstanding back problems. I dont see him playing as much next season, so Luiz will be drip fed into the team, allowing Terry to get some rest time. Alex is still some way off at the moment. Luiz will also be a good long term solution as a Terry replacement rather than a short term fix. He is young, but more experienced than Bruma (who may or may not develop into the first team)

We do need creativity its true, but we also need a reliable and fit back four (Remember Drogba telling Terry, whats the point of us scoring goals, if we then concede them?!) We have no fully fit CB's, only a young kid and Ivan, who is a right back.

The money we are talking about, 20-25 million is a lot of money to be paying for a defender, so Luiz would want to be on top of his game ASAP should we get him.

From the limited knowledge and viewings ive seen of him he has looked a good player and I dont see him warming any bench if we get him.

The main positive thing im taking from this season is Roman has ploughed money into getting rid of the debt of Chelsea and thats a great thing for us going forward.

gavredking wrote: »
    The money we are talking about, 20-25 million is a lot of money to be paying for a defender, so Luiz would want to be on top of his game ASAP should we get him.

From the limited knowledge and viewings ive seen of him he has looked a good player and I dont see him warming any bench if we get him.

The main positive thing im taking from this season is Roman has ploughed money into getting rid of the debt of Chelsea and thats a great thing for us going forward.

Bose is staying!
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/9366850.stm

and Luiz info - nice hair!

http://www.chelseadaft.org/2011/01/video-introducing-david-luiz-and-are-we.html

The hair is class, can see Luiz wigs turning up at the bridge, ala Fellaini :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

I've just tuned into ESPN Udinese v Sampadoria in the hope of seeing Sanchez. He does not appear to be playing (Will search for the line up with bench) - not sure if theres rotation going on as its just a cup game - or is he enroute to London :confused:. They're losing anyway - so lets see if he appears in the 2nd half!

• Advertisement

I've just tuned into ESPN Udinese v Sampadoria in the hope of seeing Sanchez. He does not appear to be playing (Will search for the line up with bench) - not sure if theres rotation going on as its just a cup game - or is he enroute to London :confused:. They're losing anyway - so lets see if he appears in the 2nd half!

OK - he's not in London - just come on for the 2nd half!

Damn my hopes were raised there chelseavera. Luiz can also play anywhere across the backline and also as a def midfielder

Vera are you the same Vera that rings weekend review sometimes?

ESPN reporting that a third bid for Luiz has been rejected

smuckers wrote: »
    Vera are you the same Vera that rings weekend review sometimes?
    Never the monday night thing - maybe the Friday evening one once - couple of emails read out - most embarrassingly when I thought Dunphy had called Jose a 'Poof' - turned out to be a 'Pup'. Neil barnett had given it quite a bit of coverage and I had complained to RTE as well:o.
    So no - I doubt you've heard me;)

ESPN reporting that a third bid for Luiz has been rejected
    Its a bit like the Essien saga -except in those days we did not seem to set limits. Its very hard to know where we're at with these 'targets' - and there are enough of them! Is Roman seriously going to fund a rejuvenation or is it all paper talk? I've honestly not got a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Its a bit like the Essien saga -except in those days we did not seem to set limits. Its very hard to know where we're at with these 'targets' - and there are enough of them! Is Roman seriously going to fund a rejuvenation or is it all paper talk? I've honestly not got a clue.

Good to see a new poster on this thread

keep it a-coming ;)

Wow! - Lampard injured again. Breaking on Chat page now....apparently from the times tomorrow. Club awaiting scan. Fecking hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

what chat page?

• Advertisement

what chat page?
    Official chat page - my second home!

http://shed.chelseafc.com/chat/forum_combined_classic.shtml

I used to be on that the whole time, more of a "view chat"er these days. Its handy for the breaking gossip alright.
    Love the way fúck gets changed to cattle truck:pac:

papagormo wrote: »
    I used to be on that the whole time, more of a "view chat"er these days. Its handy for the breaking gossip alright.
    and berkshire hunts!!

and berkshire hunts!!

I started using "fackin ell" because of that chat room!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

papagormo wrote: »

Haha brings back memories

From the ChelseaFC.com website, the Thursday interview with Super Frankie Lampard.

He mentions working with Josh and the younger players to try and devvelop them.
    Back in action and back sharing his thoughts with the Official Chelsea Website, Frank discusses finding his feet again and helping others find theirs for the first time...

If there was one single moment during Frank Lampard's winter return to action when Chelsea supporters collectively thought, that's what we've been missing, it might well have come three minutes into the second half of the home win over Bolton shortly after Christmas.

It's true there were also a typical quick-fire two goals late on when Ipswich came to town, and the successful penalty against Aston Villa after Didier Drogba had been denied with the previous spot kick at Spurs.
    On top of that, Chelsea have simply begun to win football matches again with Frank in the side, but surpassing it all for a signature moment must be shortly after half-time in Frank's first home game since August when a link that has served Chelsea so well over the previous six seasons was re-established.

He played a perfect pass inside the Bolton full-back to Drogba who beat Jussi Jaaskelainen with a shot, only to hit the inside of the post.
    So no goal but as well as giving the team a spark of hope when the game was scoreless, it must have been reassuring for a returning player that he was beginning to influence games again after low-key minutes at Spurs and Arsenal.

'It was just nice to contribute and to try to play those balls because we were in a difficult time,' Frank agrees as he looks back on a past four weeks packed full of football.

'We weren't breaking teams down so well so as a midfield player you do try to set up chances although for whatever reasons, some unfortunate, they weren't quite going in.

'You need runners ahead of you and to be able to put the ball in the right area and it was something we needed to do as a team, get behind the opposition a lot more so I was just trying to make that happen.'

If you had to choose a period during a season to take to the pitch again after nearly a four months injured then you could do worse than go for the Christmas and New Year games. As crash courses to full match fitness go, the concentration of games is similar to that of a pre-season programme - just what the fitness coach would have ordered. Frank played the full 90 minutes of each of the four games over 10 days.

'I tried to keep fit during the injury by doing everything I could without harming it. I did a lot of running and got myself as fit as I could for coming back and then I just had to try to adapt to games quickly which is the toughest bit, finding the sharpness which you can never reproduce the conditions for when you are out for a while.

'So I was pleased to get through the tight schedule of games and I felt pretty good in most of them, maybe not so much the Wolves match because my groin felt a bit funny, but other than that I felt quite good.

'There was never a plan to play all the games. It was just up to the manager whether he wanted to play me or not.'

It took until the third full game back for Frank to return to goal scoring. He converted the penalty that opened the scoring in a 3-3 draw against Villa. If the tension wasn't enough anyway, he had missed his three previous attempts for club or country but there was also the knowledge that, in similar spot-kick contests, he had won out four times over Brad Friedel, between the posts for either Villa or Blackburn.

'I normally get a little bit nervous anyway and there weren't more or less nerves than usual,' Frank says.

'I knew I had missed my last one so that was in the back of my mind but it was an important time for the team and for myself to score.

'I remember scoring two penalties last year at home against him [Friedel] and you do have certain keepers that you know are very strong against you and certain ones that you feel a little bit confident about scoring past.'

was the FA Cup match against Ipswich that brought the return of goals in open play and the two scored that day drew Frank level with Roy Bentley in second place in Chelsea's all-time scorers' list in that competition. His 21 is just four goals behind Bobby Tambling's 25 FA Cup goals.

It would be a minor miracle if this season he overtook Tambling's 202 goals in all competitions (Frank has 161) and top of the European scorer list is a little out of reach if current number one Drogba continues to increase his total too.

However should the team go on an FA Cup run comparable with the last two years then a major place in the Chelsea record books is there for the taking.

'I didn't know that until after Ipswich but I'd like to get those four goals. The FA Cup has always been pretty good to me throughout the rounds. To do that this season we would have to go a long way but that is what we are here for, to go a long way so hopefully...

'Every year the FA Cup is difficult and none more so than this year because there are plenty of strong teams in the league and Everton away is a really tough early draw. We have had some decent draws in recent years but we will be tested there.'

When Frank was able to take his mind off the primary task of returning to fitness and the team, he kept, when the hours permitted, a keen eye on the England cricket team's progress on the other side of the globe.

A regular cricket player as a schoolboy and still an enthusiastic follower of the summer sport, he enjoyed watching the Ashes catch light.

'The lads out there were first class. I was sure they were going to win and they did it very well. They deserve all the good press they got,' he says.

Another diversion was appearing on Chelsea TV's Christmas Special where he entered into debate with fellow former Chelsea Players of the Year Pat Nevin and Gianfranco Zola.

'Obviously Franco I knew well. Pat I sort of knew but I hadn't spoken football with him and he is a very interesting character.'

One of the topics the three entered into in depth was the difficulty good young talent has in progressing into the first team at top clubs. The importance of playing regular games and the need to work hard on top of natural ability were weighed up.

Frank will be at Stamford Bridge tonight to lend support to a prospective future generation as they take on Arsenal in the FA Youth Cup, as he did during last year's run. Then he watched Josh McEachran shine in the Final and now he shares a pitch with him.

Guidance offered to the 17-year-old by Frank has been visible during the last two games and as the club's senior midfielder and vice-captain, he accepts he has a part to play in ensuring potential is turned into genuine first-team performer.

'You do have to take that responsibility on. Other clubs show great examples of that with players like Ryan Giggs helping people around them.

'Particularly with young Josh coming into midfield it is quite a nice responsibility. He is going to be a top player and it is enjoyable to try to help him.

'I enjoy playing with the young players because they bring a real freshness into the team and into training,' Frank adds with detectable enthusiasm.

'Josh has outstanding ability so although I talk to him to try to help him, probably very soon he will be helping me!

'If there is a way you can tell the lads to work on their weaknesses I will because it needs to be done, but to be fair to the lads who are training with us now like Josh, Jeffrey Bruma, Pat van Aanholt, they want to work, they want to improve.

'The individual side of training certainly makes you a better player if you work hard on aspects of your game like that.'

The work ethic and desire that Frank developed when he was 17 years old and younger is the same work ethic that drove him on in recent months as he sought good physical condition. It is the same desire that excites him about the thought of setting new Chelsea records and meeting more targets in the four months ahead.

In the second part of the interview Frank Lampard discusses the games ahead, including the return to the scene of a former triumph when Chelsea visit Bolton on Monday.

• Advertisement

Its a minor calf injury for Lamps, expected to be fit for Mon. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Its a minor calf injury for Lamps, expected to be fit for Mon. :)

phew, the back page of the Times this morning suggested he'd be out for at least a month!

that new chat page on chelsea is bloody awful, not often someone can manage to make a perfectly usable site 10 times worse, poor Jax !

Agreed I don't understand why he changed it. god I hope we don't go fro Lescott as a backup, the only good thing he's be for is intimitaing wharf. :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Kakuta possibly moving to Fulham on loan, perhaps talks are progressing nicely with Udinese over Sanchez (probably wishful thinking)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Not a bad idea at all. More game time he gets the better he gets (hopefully!).
    Kakuta possibly moving to Fulham on loan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

growler wrote: »
    phew, the back page of the Times this morning suggested he'd be out for at least a month!

that new chat page on chelsea is bloody awful, not often someone can manage to make a perfectly usable site 10 times worse, poor Jax !

Tried using it last night , A complete mess , Im sure it will come good in time ,

Great to hear it only a minor injury for Frank , also I think that would be an excellent move for Kakuta ,

Damien Duff will be back warming the bench in no time !

Kakuta possibly moving to Fulham on loan, perhaps talks are progressing nicely with Udinese over Sanchez (probably wishful thinking)

:pac:

Wishful thinking I imagine. Would be a good move though for Gael, get some games under his belt and push for next year then.

Soooo many rurmours at tthe moment, I think I will stop reading them. They all contradict each other any way!
    Cutting through the dross, we are trying to sign someone so thats good enough for me!

Bolton have signed Dave Wheater from 'Boro, could it be Gary Cahill is leaving, would be a good addition I think, especially if the Luiz deal is dead in the water.

gavredking wrote: »
    Bolton have signed Dave Wheater from 'Boro, could it be Gary Cahill is leaving, would be a good addition I think, especially if the Luiz deal is dead in the water.

Could be

http://www.dexysden.co.uk/2011/01/what-does-wheaters-move-mean/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UkFootballFinderMemberArticles+%28Dexy%27s+Den+-++The+UK%27s+%231+Football+Blog%29
    Or just cover as they sold andy obrien to Leeds

Wheater might nave been worth the punt, would have cost a fraction of the price and he is a decent player too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

Watching the FA Youth Cup on CTV. Ancellotti is seated in the stand. A Fan goes up to him showing him her ticket and he is sitting in her seat. Carlo double checks, laughs and moves seat. Very Funny.

Looking forward to seeing McEachran & Billy Clifford Tonight :D

Arsenal back 4 look very suspect

Match here, for anyone interested.

Get in Lalkovic, some pace.

And again...........Get in Lalkovic :D 2-1 90th minute

• Advertisement

Missed the game. :( Is it over yet?

Looking like we have a real chance again this year with the Youths.

Johner wrote: »
    Missed the game. :( Is it over yet?

Looking like we have a real chance again this year with the Youths.

All over, we could have scored 10 in the 2nd half. Very good 1st half from McEachran, quieter in the 2nd. Lalkovic done well for the 2 goals.

Excellent. :) Can't wait to see it later, delighted!

Well done Chelsea .... always sweet to beat the Smug ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Who would Chelsea fans want more: Michael Essien or Xabi Alonso?

CorkMan wrote: »

We already have Essien, and when he is fully recovered from injury, he will be back as good as before... rampaging goal scoring Bison!!

I think Essien has played too much football since he came back. He needed to be nursed back to full fitness, but because of our squad strength and injuries he had to play almost every game which undoubtedly has had an effect on his game.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Essien all the way

I think Essien has played too much football since he came back. He needed to be nursed back to full fitness, but because of our squad strength and injuries he had to play almost every game which undoubtedly has had an effect on his game.

ditto Terry, Cole, Drogba, Bose and Lamps and thats why we have struggled.

• Advertisement

Essien, simple choice really, the only thing that Xabi Alonso has over Essien is his range of passing, Essien is a better all round midfielder, simple really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement